The Best Thing - Chart Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
30th September update:

adds another 50 spins today on Hot AC to 718 spins total, and moves up 1 spot to number 28. Also moves up to 4.293m AI now as well on Hot AC.

Also moves up another 24 spins on Alternative to 776 spins total, stays at number 22.

Total of about 8.5m AI now as well, across all listed formats. (Although it's is listed at almost 8.8m but not sure where the extra 0.3m comes from?)

Last edited:
30th September update:

adds another 50 spins today on Hot AC to 718 spins total, and moves up 1 spot to number 28. Also moves up to 4.293m AI now as well on Hot AC.

Also moves up another 24 spins on Alternative to 776 spins total, stays at number 22.

Total of about 8.5m AI now as well, across all listed formats. (Although it's is listed at almost 8.8m but not sure where the extra 0.3m comes from?)

Well that would mean it's already a bigger "hit" than any of the 3 SOI singles. Of course, that's not saying much. However, on its current trajectory I would says it's destined to perform better than any single from NLOTH as well.

This is their last chance at having relevancy on the charts .. think they've done an excellent job of having everything ready ... videos on time, remixes for different formats and pre releasing three very different songs that cater to all their fans to settle pre conceived notions with an emotional fan base .. the hardest thing to do after being around and relevant for 41 years.

Hot AC is key.. if they can get to top ten and cross over to top 40 with kygo remix they have it made and a new demographic of fans. I'm truly surprised at their success on the chart ... momentum seems to be picking up ... we'll know that the new gen likes it when streaming counts pick up ... blackout is going to kill it if they make it the second single in rock / alternative format .. although I read edge say in an article it's not a single ... certainly the tour opener !

30th September update:

Reading the TBT Chart thread - the US charts are pretty alien to people from the UK, I had to describe it to a friend over there, he was a tad perplexed, especially the reliance on playlisting/airplay over sales and fans. For us it's always been - you buy a physical release, dl the music or listen via streaming packages and the radio play aspect doesn't influence the Official Singles Chart. The chart position is based on purchases and streaming platforms like Spotify etal.

The global charts are mixed...in Spain for example, both ytbt and KYGO's remix are shown to be released this week. Also, The Joshua Tree 30 year Anniversary release is at 54 in Spain's version of the U.S. Billboard Album Top 200 chart. JT is in it's 16th straight week on this chart and peaked at #7 earlier this year.

Then in France, ytbt rises from 27 to 24 on their Hot 100 songs in it's 4th week...but it is not listed on the "new release" charts in France. So who knows ...the way U2.com released the official video for ytbt last week makes me think the song is also released everywhere, but several charts contradict that assumption.

On the Canadian "Hot 100 digital songs" chart, ytbt moves from 41 to 45 in it's second week. On the EURO Hot 200 singles chart, ytbt drops from 29 to 78 in it's 4th week on that chart, after peaking at 24. I'm not going to list the song for every country, but it did debut on Croatia's Hot 100 Singles Chart at #10.

Maybe Spain & Croatia and other countries have only just released this song...while other countries got it when the U.S. did? It did make a brief appearance on the UK Hot 100 Singles Chart...but was it officially released there? I realize that U2 was on the JT Anniversary tour here in the U.S. when ytbt was released in the U.S. They played it live on the Tonight show...then came the lyric video, Kygo remix, & the official video debuted just 3 days ago.

Now this is the type of single release strategy (or lack thereof) that's more like it with respect to U2. Regardless, even if it's just successful in the U.S., a hit single for U2 would be great to see...especially if it could do as well as Vertigo did (which didn't even get credit for all the downloads back then).

Hard to go out on a limb for a U2 single

Another big day for gains. According to kworb up to 2600 spins (+61 on hot ac) and now at 9.3m impressions (up 500k day over day).

Daily US Radio Updates

I am becoming a believer of my earlier post...this song will be U2's biggest hit since Vertigo. I have no idea why the song isn't promoted outside of the U.S., but like I said, that's more typical of U2's lack of a "single release strategy" we've come to know and hate here at Peeling Off chart watchers forum.

It remains stuck in my head, anyway. FWIW, on Friday I was driving again and tuned into Sirius Spectrum. I missed the first part of their Top 5 countdown, but did catch ytbt played at the end of the countdown, "just finishing it's 3rd straight week @ #1....tune in tonight to see if U2 can hold the top spot for the 4th consecutive week".

The DJ went on to explain how YOU can affect this chart, which is determined by the Spectrum DJ's based on requests, combined with the "taste makers". Apparently, you can go to the SXM website for the Spectrum channel's web page. A free registration can be done to become a "tastemaker", which then allows you to vote for the songs you want to hear.

From what I gather, this is hardly exclusive to the Spectrum channel 28. Other channels also ask for their listener's to become a taste maker for their own little daily & weekly countdowns. I have not registered by I might...regardless, it's great imho that the Spectrum's daily countdown's are determined by listeners.

Unlike my trip one week ago, I did not hear ytbt multiple times across multiple channels. OTOH, I didn't change stations as much to find other channels playing ytbt. I did hear U2 songs across many channels...mostly songs from Boy to JT. I assume this airplay is related to the 30th anniversary tour of JT.

Good stuff, up another 29 spins on alternative as well, got a bit of momentum there now too.

While the 2600 spins and 9m impression number don’t sync with the individual format totals, this was TBTs biggest day over day increase in 2 weeks (+101 spins). The individual formats total 2,228 spins and 8.96m impressions. That means TBT is less than 200 spins from Magnificent’s peak and a little over 200 spins from Boots peak.

TBT is now U2s biggest US radio hit since 2009. As I have mentioned previously, that doesn’t mean too much as the 4 singles associated with SOI and Ordinary Love were radio duds for the most part (SFS did decent on Hot AC and The Miracle hit #1 on Triple A but that is hardly much to talk about in either case).

It should also be mentioned that per the chart I think you showed us macawaca(also the chart with those totals that are off a bit) the song cracked the top 200 radio songs in the US at 195.

The song is going strong on Triple A, Hot AC and Alternative but no sign yet on AC and it will likely fall off of the Alternative Rock format sometime this coming week.

I am becoming a believer of my earlier post...this song will be U2's biggest hit since Vertigo. I have no idea why the song isn't promoted outside of the U.S., but like I said, that's more typical of U2's lack of a "single release strategy" we've come to know and hate here at Peeling Off chart watchers forum.

It remains stuck in my head, anyway.

They really haven’t promoted it here in the US other than Fallon. I have to believe they have something up their sleeve to tie this to some event or commercial tie in. The song is very catchy and has a lot of potential to be a hit for U2 despite the insistence of many that if it wasn’t a hit instantly then it never can be.

They really haven’t promoted it here in the US other than Fallon. I have to believe they have something up their sleeve to tie this to some event or commercial tie in. The song is very catchy and has a lot of potential to be a hit for U2 despite the insistence of many that if it wasn’t a hit instantly then it never can be.

I was thinking about this. In a way, U2 has been off the radio and off the radar for so long that in many ways this song could be in the fortunate position of actually being “discovered” almost like a newer artist.
It’s been 13 years since they had a real radio hit. Kids that were 3 are now 16 just hearing a U2 pop song for the first time.
I think that along with the bands tiered release and video strategy, it could get them up to a decent hat AC chart position and stick for a bit.
If they can top Magnificent and OL, I’ll be happy.

I was thinking about this. In a way, U2 has been off the radio and off the radar for so long that in many ways this song could be in the fortunate position of actually being “discovered” almost like a newer artist.
It’s been 13 years since they had a real radio hit. Kids that were 3 are now 16 just hearing a U2 pop song for the first time.
I think that along with the bands tiered release and video strategy, it could get them up to a decent hat AC chart position and stick for a bit.
If they can top Magnificent and OL, I’ll be happy.

There's truth to this. Way back in the early 80's, the group YES had a huge hit with the song "Owner of a Lonely Heart". My friend said that he heard people who attended the concert say that they had no idea YES had other songs (they had been around for a while). So to some people, U2 will be "new".

I'm just hoping the catchiness of this song and the fact that it has BD vibes to it combined with the success of the JT tour might just help propel YTBT to bigger heights. But it may take a while.

Memory Lane

I'm just hoping the catchiness of this song and the fact that it has BD vibes to it combined with the success of the JT tour might just help propel YTBT to bigger heights. But it may take a while.

Those are usually the best kind! :wave:

I have vague memories of us studying Vertigo's chart performance...hard to believe that was over 14 years ago, with Apple playing that 30 second clip of Vertigo on endless TV Adverts until the song was stuck in everyone's head. For better or for worse.

IIRC, it was that song that forced Billboard's hand with regard to their process of calculating their biggest chart, The Hot 100 Singles weekly chart. I remember you, Doctor, posting weekly estimates for downloads, somehow, and comparing BB's chart position for Vertigo along with your own estimate that included downloads.

My memory is going away sooner than later, but I'm thinking that when Vertigo peaked at #29 on the BB Hot 100, including downloads for the first time nearly a year after the song debuted, you used the formula to show Vertigo was actually a Top 10 hit on the BB Hot 100 (or even top 5) if BB had used that formula from the start of Vertigo's reign on the charts.

To think...that i-pod commercial, combined with the offer for the "Complete U2" catalog coming pre-loaded on your i-pod purhase...was just over 13 years ago. And the music industry was in an uproar...but they had no idea about the scope of industry transformation that was coming.

Despite botching several single releases, U2 has been at the forefront of Album releases & that made them always stay in the mix regarding relevance. The Tapes sold many millions in the 1980's; then their CD and DVD releases sold many more millions in the 1990's. Finally, the deal with Apple & Vertigo made U2 seem like a pioneer in the digital music revolution. In truth, it was already underway, but you could argue that Vertigo brought the I-pod, and the download of songs, to the mainstream.

They even got their "Best Of" albums released just in the nick of time to rack up millions in CD sales...just before they were about to fall off of a cliff. And even the "backlash" from Apple Customers who did not want a completely free album given to them,..and were too lazy or dim to just delete it...still resulted in a large payment from Apple. And by most accounts, the album was at least accessed by more people than for any album in history.

So I know I've knocked U2 over the years with regards to poor choice in lead singles; lack of strategy or promotion for other singles released, etc., I guess it hasn't really hurt them much at all in what really pays the bills: Album sales and tour profits. I would not be surprised to hear one day that U2's net worth exceeds One Billion Dollars. Bono was right when he said "there will never be another U2",

Oh and regarding the thread topic, TBT did top the Spectrum's Top 5 chart yesterday for the 4th week in a row.

According to what I'm seeing online their net worth already exceeds $1 billion. Bono is worth about $600 million, the Edge $250 million, and Adam and Larry $150 million each. Of course a lot of Bono's wealth came from investing in Facebook rather than music.

According to what I'm seeing online their net worth already exceeds $1 billion. Bono is worth about $600 million, the Edge $250 million, and Adam and Larry $150 million each. Of course a lot of Bono's wealth came from investing in Facebook rather than music.

And...... what's your point ?

2nd October update

Continues to move up on Hot AC again. Moves up 3 spots to number 25, and adds another 63 spins to a total of 842 spins. Also moves up to 4.898m AI.

Also moves up another 24 spins on Alternative, and another 11 spins on triple A, moving up 1 spot on both charts.

Total AI now stands at 9.751m.

Also still hanging on in Active Rock and still no sign on AC.

Last edited:
2nd October update

Continues to move up on Hot AC again. Moves up 3 spots to number 25, and adds another 63 spins to a total of 842 spins. Also moves up to 4.898m AI.

Also moves up another 24 spins on Alternative, and another 11 spins on triple A, moving up 1 spot on both charts.

Total AI now stands at 9.751m.

Also still hanging on in Active Rock and still no sign on AC.

Fantastic news.
I know the weekend numbers may give a bit more spin increase since most stations do commercial free weekend type deals, upping the overall spins for all songs.
But, if TBT can increase, lets say an average of 40 spins a day for the next 2 weeks, that would put them at about 1,400 spins! and would put them near top 20 numbers. Their AI would be around 7.300 on Hot AC alone

Happy to still see increases on the alt and AAA charts as well.

One cool thing to note is that TBT had the third highest spin increase on the HotAC chart. And there are about 8 or 9 songs above them that are decreasing spins. So it would be great to see them near the top 20 in the next week or two. They also are the "youngest" of the songs in the top 34, which bodes well for room to grow.
It will be a slow go since the spin numbers start to increase much more dramatically as you get to the top 20. But I think they can make it. Would have done a world of difference if they had done one other tv promo stop before restarting the tour. :huh::angry:

Last edited:
Why don't we try staying on topic?

I'm terribly sorry if my post was somehow offensive. It was in direct response to this comment:

I would not be surprised to hear one day that U2's net worth exceeds One Billion Dollars.

I thought I was contributing to the conversation by noting that U2's net worth already exceeds $1 billion. I very much appreciate all the information about chart performance that other posters provide here, and to which I cannot add.

But it was my first post on this forum so maybe I just don't understand how things are supposed to work.

I'm terribly sorry if my post was somehow offensive. It was in direct response to this comment:

I thought I was contributing to the conversation by noting that U2's net worth already exceeds $1 billion. I very much appreciate all the information about chart performance that other posters provide here, and to which I cannot add.

But it was my first post on this forum so maybe I just don't understand how things are supposed to work.

You're fine Luzita. Welcome to the forum. It is an interesting piece of info. Maybe start up a new thread for it or revive an old one talking about bands worth. Either way, love to see new people hear to keep it interesting.

Also, TBT was the number 2 highest spin increase on AAA, one behind Manchester Orchestra. Which is a good sign. Also the second newest song in the top 30. So more room to grow.
And sort of middle of the pack in spin increase on Alternative.

So it's a grower, not a show-er

There was probably no other way for it to be, without some gimmick (that doesn't backfire). If the song can keep rises over the next two weeks, it should get a bump when U2 make their album announcement.

I assume with that announcement they'll hit a lot of the shows for a promo tour. Then you drop a second single around Thanksgiving to get more attention to the album.

Fingers crossed that the band (and their families) stay in good health this time around. Bono's bike accident really threw everything off for the promo tour and maybe they recover a little bit from the Apple disaster.

Fantastic news.

I know the weekend numbers may give a bit more spin increase since most stations do commercial free weekend type deals, upping the overall spins for all songs.

But, if TBT can increase, lets say an average of 40 spins a day for the next 2 weeks, that would put them at about 1,400 spins! and would put them near top 20 numbers. Their AI would be around 7.300 on Hot AC alone

Happy to still see increases on the alt and AAA charts as well.

It was up 99 spins over all, which is the 2nd largest jump in spins for the song over the past 14 or so days (the largest jump being the 101 from yesterday).

It will likely fall off of the Active Rock chart this week but as I mentioned previously, it was lucky to even chart on this format as TBT is not a fit for Active Rock.

I do think we are going to see it pop up on AC eventually but it's just odd that it hasn't happened yet unless it's by design(U2s PR team perhaps?).

Back
Top Bottom