The Best Thing - Chart Performance - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Peeling off those Dollar Bills
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstreets92 View Post
For Alternative and AAA, yes. For Active Rock and Hot AC, pretty "meh".

That said, it's not too bad for a single that won't be promoted to radio until next Wednesday.
I was just gonna say that. I'm surprised it was on any AAA or AC stations since I didn't think it was pushed to them yet.
Hoping management has a strategy to push hard to them next week.
Would be cool to actually see a song of theirs climb UP the charts instead of getting one big week and then sliding away...

Old 09-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUEFC09U2 View Post
Really unsure what the bands strategy is with all this, they must know they will never compete with the teeny boppers out there, so what would they constitute to be a hit?
I gotta think something that hits the top 40 and actually hangs around on the charts for a while. I think the longevity is what would be important to actually consider it a successful charting song for them.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:13 PM   #33
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Vinyl is such a fucking awful format, its resurgence baffles me no end.

I usually just stream; if I want to support an artist I'll buy digital. I only grab a CD when I'm at a gig and a previously unfamiliar support act has impressed me. I've enough clutter; I don't need more CDs I'll just rip to MP3 and then never touch again. Physical music is a waste of time in this digital age.

Signed,
The guy who keeps buying physical books because he's not entirely consistent in his attitudes between media
6 Reasons Why Vinyl Is Popular Again – TuneCore
Old 09-07-2017, 06:02 PM   #34
The Fly

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Just FYI: New UK singles chart for will be released on Saturday, the 9th. And the US Hot 100 for this week will be released on Tuesday the 12th.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:09 PM   #35
New Yorker

So here are the updates I have from Mediabase as of 9p ET in order of Format size/importance

You're the Best Thing About Me:

Hot AC:
- Not currently charting
-13 stations paying it and its up 32 spins w/w (yes, its only the past 2 days).

Alternative:
- Not charting yet but it will enter the top 50 soon
-2 new stations added the song
-43 stations paying it and its up 168 spins w/w (yes, its only the past 2 days). This is the 3rd biggest play increase on the format

AC:
- Not currently charting

Active Rock:
- Not currently charting
-9 stations paying it and its up 22 spins w/w (yes, its only the past 2 days).

Triple A:
- Not charting yet but it will enter the top 50 soon
-21 stations paying it and its up 57 spins w/w (yes, its only the past 2 days). This is the 2nd biggest play increase on the format

What does this mean? Nothing yet. Its not very bad and its not very good…its normal. U2 is not Taylor Swift or Katy Perry or <insert popular artist>. This song has been out less than 48 hours and they are not the U2 of 1987, 1997 or 2005 where mainstream fans are waiting for the next U2 song. They are going to have to earn this one if they want a "hit". I take this as a positive that they are being played on 4 formats and one of them is Hot AC, which is a very big format and one that often crosses over into Top 40.

If this song becomes a hit, it will not be due to Jimmy Fallon or any other promotion. It will only be a hit if it is considered a good song by the general public and its way too early to tell.

The critical reviews I have seen have been overwhelmingly positive
YouTube video shows ~96.1% "like" the vid vs 3.9% don't (777k views)
iTunes has a 4.53 out of 5.00 rating from 171 reviews

So all of that means…nothing..yet. iTunes buys are likely fans at this point, so it should be high. The critical reviews are promising, Ill give you that and the YouTube "likes" % is very encouraging but has been dropping since it came out (started at ~97.8% likes), so lets see where it levels. The view count, 777k, is lower than I would have thought but then again its only been a day and a half.

The positive of all of this is that You're the Best Thing is being given a chance and thats all you can ask. If its a "good" song, it will thrive and if it stinks….it will go away quick.

I did not like this song at all when I first heard it. Thought it was a complete mess and sounded so awkward and copy paste that it was similar to Boots. After giving it a few more spins….it hit me. There is a lot going on in this song and not in a bad way. I love the bass, really like the drums and the lyrics are very solid and I like almost all of them a lot(save for the "a boy" ..WTF!). I still think its a typical cheesy lovey/dovey "pop" song that walks the line between "ugh, what were they thinking" and "wow, what a song" and its a thin line for some of us but to quote the great Noob Noob (from Rick and Morty) "God Damn" this is a catchy song!

Cosmo Out!
Old 09-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Vinyl is such a fucking awful format, its resurgence baffles me no end.

I usually just stream; if I want to support an artist I'll buy digital. I only grab a CD when I'm at a gig and a previously unfamiliar support act has impressed me. I've enough clutter; I don't need more CDs I'll just rip to MP3 and then never touch again. Physical music is a waste of time in this digital age.

Signed,

The guy who keeps buying physical books because he's not entirely consistent in his attitudes between media

Lol.

People who simplify vinyl's resurgence to a single factor are destined to be frustrated. For me it is a number of things:

- audio quality is a misnomer - I like the WARMTH that digital formats never seem to have, and albums mastered for vinyl never suffer from loudness issues like HTDAAB
- large format artwork is immersive
- you are all but forced to listen to and appreciate a full album
- I'm an obsessive collector and get a thrill from seeing a collection grow (this is the same with books and wine for me)
- I like the idea of one day possibly handing down a music collection to someone, and sharing my experiences.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:52 PM   #37
Refugee

GREAT insight Cosmo - thank you!
Old 09-08-2017, 01:52 AM   #38
Refugee

Local Time: 06:53 PM
Thanks, Cosmo.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:36 AM   #39
War Child

Thanks Cosmo, much appreciated!
Old 09-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #40
War Child

US Radio Update for Sept 8th:

- In at number 39 on Triple A, with 99 spins, 0.419 Audience Impressions.
- In at number 47 on the Alternative Chart, with 190 spins and 1.3489 AI's.

Isn't in the top 50 for Hot AC, maybe Cosmo may know where it is at on HAC? Number 50 on HAC has 158 spins.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:43 AM   #41
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by macawaca View Post
US Radio Update for Sept 8th:

- In at number 39 on Triple A, with 99 spins, 0.419 Audience Impressions.
- In at number 47 on the Alternative Chart, with 190 spins and 1.3489 AI's.

Isn't in the top 50 for Hot AC, maybe Cosmo may know where it is at on HAC? Number 50 on HAC has 158 spins.
I would reckon it's well below the Top 50 on Rock and Hot AC and will remain around that level until there is an actual promotional push to these formats.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #42
Acrobat

Thanks for the detailed info Cosmo!

I'm now seeing 626,415 streams on Spotify. Seems Fallon & the new playlist additions gave it a nice bump but it's still not the run away smash streaming hit I'm sure they would've liked.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB216 View Post
Thanks for the detailed info Cosmo!

I'm now seeing 626,415 streams on Spotify. Seems Fallon & the new playlist additions gave it a nice bump but it's still not the run away smash streaming hit I'm sure they would've liked.

To be fair they need to keep promoting it, one appearance on Fallon won't get them it, there is nothing over here in the U.K. and it is showing as it slips down the iTunes chart
Old 09-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #44
Y2K
Refugee

It's charted in France on the Top Singles Downloaded chart at number 48. Le Top de la semaine : Top Singles Téléchargés - SNEP
Old 09-08-2017, 11:24 AM   #45
The Fly

#48 on the downloads chart, but not even in the Top 200 on the singles chart

Next week, maybe?