The Best Thing - Chart Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't understand this thread.

Everyone posting here seems to have serious insecurity issues as evidenced by all this worrying about how this new single performs. Who gives a shit if it can't outsell Taylor Swift. If that's your barometer, you may want to re-evaluate how you assess your happiness.

Everyone posting here seems to have serious insecurity issues as evidenced by all this worrying about how this new single performs. Who gives a shit if it can't outsell Taylor Swift. If that's your barometer, you may want to re-evaluate how you assess your happiness.

Or, you know, it is people just discussing how it is going and you assuming it is to do with some insecurity is your issue?

Seriously, what the fuck even was this post?

Who gives a shit if it can't outsell Taylor Swift. If that's your barometer

While I would never bother with a comparison, we are in a forum about chart success and she is the pinnacle of chart success. I don't think anyone here is expecting them to perform as well or anywhere close to her but rather to provide context to the performance, or lack there of, of TBT. Can you really not understand how another artists chart performance isn't related to a thread specifically about chart performance?

you may want to re-evaluate how you assess your happiness.

I haven't read a single post of anyone saying that their happiness is directly or indirectly linked to how TBT performs vs Taylor Swift.

Or, you know, it is people just discussing how it is going and you assuming it is to do with some insecurity is your issue?

There is always one. You can be in a forum about red hats and someone will come in and say "who cares about red hats". It's as if the concept of how forums and sub forums work are lost on them.

Meanwhile, decent gains today on both triple A and alternative and it also charts in the top 50 now on Hot AC as well

giphy.gif

There is always one. You can be in a forum about red hats and someone will come in and say "who cares about red hats". It's as if the concept of how forums and sub forums work are lost on them.

I was at the red hat forum recently and I posted a story about the cat in the hat, and people went ballistic, :angry:

the way a lot of people seem to worry about chart positions and sales. Who cares.

or do you feel the music sounds better if you are comforted by knowing so many others have also bought/streamed the songs?

that is what the fuck the post was.

Huh.. I think you've either formed a completely skewed impression of the point of this thread or you're trolling. Can't tell which right now..

I don't think anyone here is "worried" about positions and sales. Some of us enjoy seeing metrics progress over time on how the band's new material is performing. It's helpful and interesting compare it to other top-performing artists like Taylor Swift for context.

If you're not interested in the Best Thing's chart performance, that's fine! Just don't judge and question others who are (especially in a separate thread dedicated to something you clearly don't care about).

Huh.. I think you've either formed a completely skewed impression of the point of this thread or you're trolling. Can't tell which right now..

I don't think anyone here is "worried" about positions and sales. Some of us enjoy seeing metrics progress over time on how the band's new material is performing. It's helpful and interesting compare it to other top-performing artists like Taylor Swift for context.

If you're not interested in the Best Thing's chart performance, that's fine! Just don't judge and question others who are (especially in a separate thread dedicated to something you clearly don't care about).

fair. I wasn't trolling. apologies if it came across that way. in hindsight, I was more snarky than I should have been.

What about the UK singles charts?

All these weird charts that I don't follow nor understand lol. I like to compare all of U2's singles from the singles chart, because it's the main one that's been around for all time U2 have been releasing stuff. But no-one's mentioning it.... do people not care about the singles chart anymore? Genuine question.

What I don't get is that U2 spends years in the studio trying to get the HIT song they so want. When they are finally ready to release the music.....they do this? Very little promotion. They just finally played the song live last night in Indy.

They still haven't even announced the album's release date. Rumor has it that they will wait until October to do so, so does that mean the next song will come out then? Cause I can't see TBT rising up the charts without something to help. Promo appearances, TV commercials, Youtube videos....

Was TBT just a throwaway song to get U2 back into the news for the next week or two while the tour finishes up?

I guess my long winded point is, they spend years grinding so hard to make music that will be heard, and once that effort is done, they have very peculiar means of advertising their work.

Guess we'll see what happens this week for additional promotion of the song, or if it dies pretty quick.

Wow. One of their lowest charting songs (in the UK) EVER. When Magnificent got to number 42, it was considered their biggest failure of a single since the October days. And that was 42.... now YTBTAB is number 70? That's bad. What has happened? U2 dominated the singles charts in the ATYCLB and HTDAAB days, and now this??

(I know this is the midweek chart, but still, I'm worried it will not get any higher than this...)

From '84 to about '06 it was very rare for U2 to even miss the top 10. I expected a decline yes, but I was expecting at least 20's positions.... not 70!!!

Last edited:
Did a quick Wikipedia search - Ordinary Love peaked at #82 and Invisible at #65. In this day and age, #70 isn't that bad for a band like U2.

Meanwhile, decent gains today on both triple A and alternative and it also charts in the top 50 now on Hot AC as well

That is big news macawaca!

So here are the updates I have from Mediabase as of 10p ET in order of Format size/importance

You're the Best Thing About Me:

Hot AC: #49
- #49 with 136 plays and 1.572 million impressions(listeners)
-8 stations added the song (tied for 5th most adds)
-16 stations paying it and its up 148 spins w/w

Alternative: #36 up from #40
- #36 with 341 plays and 2.147 million impressions (listeners)
-23 stations added the song (#1 most added)
-52 stations paying it and its up 395 spins w/w (This is the 3rd biggest play increase on the format)

AC:
- Not currently charting in the top 50

Active Rock:
- Not currently charting but will likely chart in a few days
-4 New station added the song (#1 most added)
-14 stations paying it and its up 73 spins w/w

Triple A: #20 up from #23
- #20 with 239 plays and 0.927 million impressions
-23 stations paying it and its up 272 spins w/w. This is the biggest play increase on the format
-15 stations added the song (#1 most added song)

Its now charting within the top 50 on 3 different formats, one of which is a very important format from a potential exposure standpoint (Hot AC). Still nothing to write home about but again, its just getting started and its way too early to declare a success or failure from a chart standpoint. :wave:

Cosmo Out!

Looks like they are up to 4.5m impressions on u.s radio across three formats ... invisible and song for someone (their last two moderate success songs) peaked at about 10m impressions ... I'd say they need 15-20m impressions across multiple formats holistically to get a chance at the pop stations where the big impression (listener) potential is. That's where I predict they'll release the kygo remix ... the kids will love it.

On a side note, caught my 7 year old son singing TBT today after just a few listens ... I guess it is very catch after all. Maybe they are onto something.

Looks like they are up to 4.5m impressions on u.s radio across three formats ... invisible and song for someone (their last two moderate success songs) peaked at about 10m impressions ... I'd say they need 15-20m impressions across multiple formats holistically to get a chance at the pop stations where the big impression (listener) potential is. That's where I predict they'll release the kygo remix ... the kids will love it.

On a side note, caught my 7 year old son singing TBT today after just a few listens ... I guess it is very catch after all. Maybe they are onto something.

What are impressions?

US Radio update, 12th Sept:

TBT moves up another 6 spots on Triple A, moving up to number 14, adding another 55 spins, to reach 294 spins total, with AI of 1.108m.

TBT moves up another 1 spot on Alternative, moving up to number 35, adding another 51 spins, to reach 392 spins total, with AI of 2.351m.

TBT moves up another 3 spots on Hot AC, moving up to number 46, adding another 28 spins, to reach 174 spins total, with AI of 1.751m.

If it had some further promo maybe it would really start moving? I'll leave the detail and analysis to Cosmo.

Also interesting on both Triple A and Alternative that the two big movers this week are U2 and Beck, who are playing together each night on JT30.

Last edited:
What has happened? U2 dominated the singles charts in the ATYCLB and HTDAAB days, and now this??
!

Oh crikey. What do you think happened? What you're talking about was 15 years ago.

Look at the charts from back then and let us know how many of those acts are still charting.

Last edited:
What are impressions?

# of listeners.

good news...5.4M listeners and 970 spins across three formats.... Overall position on U.S. Radio based on Impressions/listens now up to #299...climbing fast now
#299 +110 (vs. yesterday)

You're The Best Thing About Me (day over day)
5.384M +2.171 970 +303 39 299 5.384 970 HAC/Alternative/Triple A

US Radio update, 12th Sept:

TBT moves up another 6 spots on Triple A, moving up to number 14, adding another 55 spins, to reach 294 spins total, with AI of 1.108m.

TBT moves up another 1 spot on Alternative, moving up to number 35, adding another 51 spins, to reach 392 spins total, with AI of 2.351m.

TBT moves up another 3 spots on Hot AC, moving up to number 46, adding another 28 spins, to reach 174 spins total, with AI of 1.751m.

If it had some further promo maybe it would really start moving? I'll leave the detail and analysis to Cosmo.

Also interesting on both Triple A and Alternative that the two big movers this week are U2 and Beck, who are playing together each night on JT30.

I'm keeping an eye on the AC format as I see no sign of TBT there but I'm optimistic it might break through. I also am keeping an eye on the Dance format to see if the Kygo mix makes its way there....

I'm keeping an eye on the AC format as I see no sign of TBT there but I'm optimistic it might break through. I also am keeping an eye on the Dance format to see if the Kygo mix makes its way there....

Wasn't it Song for Someone that made a somewhat surprise appearance on AC and did reasonably well there?

Back
Top Bottom