The Best Thing - Chart Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For Alternative and AAA, yes. For Active Rock and Hot AC, pretty "meh".

That said, it's not too bad for a single that won't be promoted to radio until next Wednesday.

I was just gonna say that. I'm surprised it was on any AAA or AC stations since I didn't think it was pushed to them yet.
Hoping management has a strategy to push hard to them next week.
Would be cool to actually see a song of theirs climb UP the charts instead of getting one big week and then sliding away...

Really unsure what the bands strategy is with all this, they must know they will never compete with the teeny boppers out there, so what would they constitute to be a hit?

I gotta think something that hits the top 40 and actually hangs around on the charts for a while. I think the longevity is what would be important to actually consider it a successful charting song for them.

Vinyl is such a fucking awful format, its resurgence baffles me no end.

I usually just stream; if I want to support an artist I'll buy digital. I only grab a CD when I'm at a gig and a previously unfamiliar support act has impressed me. I've enough clutter; I don't need more CDs I'll just rip to MP3 and then never touch again. Physical music is a waste of time in this digital age.

Signed,
The guy who keeps buying physical books because he's not entirely consistent in his attitudes between media

6 Reasons Why Vinyl Is Popular Again – TuneCore

Just FYI: New UK singles chart for will be released on Saturday, the 9th. And the US Hot 100 for this week will be released on Tuesday the 12th.

So here are the updates I have from Mediabase as of 9p ET in order of Format size/importance

You're the Best Thing About Me:

Hot AC:
- Not currently charting
-13 stations paying it and its up 32 spins w/w (yes, its only the past 2 days).

Alternative:
- Not charting yet but it will enter the top 50 soon
-2 new stations added the song
-43 stations paying it and its up 168 spins w/w (yes, its only the past 2 days). This is the 3rd biggest play increase on the format

AC:
- Not currently charting

Active Rock:
- Not currently charting
-9 stations paying it and its up 22 spins w/w (yes, its only the past 2 days).

Triple A:
- Not charting yet but it will enter the top 50 soon
-21 stations paying it and its up 57 spins w/w (yes, its only the past 2 days). This is the 2nd biggest play increase on the format

What does this mean? Nothing yet. Its not very bad and its not very good…its normal. U2 is not Taylor Swift or Katy Perry or <insert popular artist>. This song has been out less than 48 hours and they are not the U2 of 1987, 1997 or 2005 where mainstream fans are waiting for the next U2 song. They are going to have to earn this one if they want a "hit". I take this as a positive that they are being played on 4 formats and one of them is Hot AC, which is a very big format and one that often crosses over into Top 40.

If this song becomes a hit, it will not be due to Jimmy Fallon or any other promotion. It will only be a hit if it is considered a good song by the general public and its way too early to tell.

The critical reviews I have seen have been overwhelmingly positive
YouTube video shows ~96.1% "like" the vid vs 3.9% don't (777k views)
iTunes has a 4.53 out of 5.00 rating from 171 reviews

So all of that means…nothing..yet. iTunes buys are likely fans at this point, so it should be high. The critical reviews are promising, Ill give you that and the YouTube "likes" % is very encouraging but has been dropping since it came out (started at ~97.8% likes), so lets see where it levels. The view count, 777k, is lower than I would have thought but then again its only been a day and a half.

The positive of all of this is that You're the Best Thing is being given a chance and thats all you can ask. If its a "good" song, it will thrive and if it stinks….it will go away quick.

I did not like this song at all when I first heard it. Thought it was a complete mess and sounded so awkward and copy paste that it was similar to Boots. After giving it a few more spins….it hit me. There is a lot going on in this song and not in a bad way. I love the bass, really like the drums and the lyrics are very solid and I like almost all of them a lot(save for the "a boy" ..WTF!). I still think its a typical cheesy lovey/dovey "pop" song that walks the line between "ugh, what were they thinking" and "wow, what a song" and its a thin line for some of us but to quote the great Noob Noob (from Rick and Morty) "God Damn" this is a catchy song!

Cosmo Out!

Last edited:
Vinyl is such a fucking awful format, its resurgence baffles me no end.

I usually just stream; if I want to support an artist I'll buy digital. I only grab a CD when I'm at a gig and a previously unfamiliar support act has impressed me. I've enough clutter; I don't need more CDs I'll just rip to MP3 and then never touch again. Physical music is a waste of time in this digital age.

Signed,

The guy who keeps buying physical books because he's not entirely consistent in his attitudes between media

Lol.

People who simplify vinyl's resurgence to a single factor are destined to be frustrated. For me it is a number of things:

- audio quality is a misnomer - I like the WARMTH that digital formats never seem to have, and albums mastered for vinyl never suffer from loudness issues like HTDAAB
- large format artwork is immersive
- you are all but forced to listen to and appreciate a full album
- I'm an obsessive collector and get a thrill from seeing a collection grow (this is the same with books and wine for me)
- I like the idea of one day possibly handing down a music collection to someone, and sharing my experiences.

US Radio Update for Sept 8th:

- In at number 39 on Triple A, with 99 spins, 0.419 Audience Impressions.
- In at number 47 on the Alternative Chart, with 190 spins and 1.3489 AI's.

Isn't in the top 50 for Hot AC, maybe Cosmo may know where it is at on HAC? Number 50 on HAC has 158 spins.

US Radio Update for Sept 8th:

- In at number 39 on Triple A, with 99 spins, 0.419 Audience Impressions.
- In at number 47 on the Alternative Chart, with 190 spins and 1.3489 AI's.

Isn't in the top 50 for Hot AC, maybe Cosmo may know where it is at on HAC? Number 50 on HAC has 158 spins.

I would reckon it's well below the Top 50 on Rock and Hot AC and will remain around that level until there is an actual promotional push to these formats.

Thanks for the detailed info Cosmo!

I'm now seeing 626,415 streams on Spotify. Seems Fallon & the new playlist additions gave it a nice bump but it's still not the run away smash streaming hit I'm sure they would've liked.

Thanks for the detailed info Cosmo!

I'm now seeing 626,415 streams on Spotify. Seems Fallon & the new playlist additions gave it a nice bump but it's still not the run away smash streaming hit I'm sure they would've liked.

To be fair they need to keep promoting it, one appearance on Fallon won't get them it, there is nothing over here in the U.K. and it is showing as it slips down the iTunes chart

So any ideas why the band released on a Wednesday? Surely they knew it wouldn't chart high with on 2 days worth of sales and next to no promotion?

So any ideas why the band released on a Wednesday? Surely they knew it wouldn't chart high with on 2 days worth of sales and next to no promotion?

The going theory (I believe from Alan Cross) is that radio programmers always meet on Wednesday's to discuss new music, make playlist changes, etc. The band seemingly wanted the new song to be the focal point of that Wednesday (Sept. 6th) programmer's meeting.

So here are the updates I have from Mediabase as of 10p ET in order of Format size/importance

Hot AC:
- Not currently charting
-3 stations added the song
-13 stations paying it and its up 58 spins w/w

Alternative: #47
- #47 with 190 plays and 1.348 million impressions (listeners)
-11 stations added the song (#1 most added)
-46 stations paying it and its up 226 spins w/w (it doesn't match the number in the rank but I think that is a timing issue). This is the 3rd biggest play increase on the format

AC:
- Not currently charting in the top 50

Active Rock:
- Not currently charting but will likely chart in a few days
-1 New station added the song
-10 stations paying it and its up 33 spins w/w (yes, its only the past 2 days).

Triple A: #39
- #39 with 99 plays and 0.419 million impressions
-22 stations paying it and its up 116 spins w/w (yes, its only the past 2 days). This is the biggest play increase on the format
-6 stations added the song (#1 most added song)

I don't think we will see a big "push" until next week. I also can tell that this song will easily be top 3 and likely hit #1 on Triple A (smallest format) because those stations LOVE U2.

Cosmo Out!

9th September update:

Triple A: moves up 8 spots to number 31, with an increase of 53 spins.
Alternative: moves up 3 spots to number 44, with an increase of 44 spins.

So here are the updates I have from Mediabase as of 10p ET in order of Format size/importance

Hot AC:

- Not currently charting

-3 stations added the song

-13 stations paying it and its up 58 spins w/w

Alternative: #47

- #47 with 190 plays and 1.348 million impressions (listeners)

-11 stations added the song (#1 most added)

-46 stations paying it and its up 226 spins w/w (it doesn't match the number in the rank but I think that is a timing issue). This is the 3rd biggest play increase on the format

AC:

Active Rock:

-1 New station added the song

-10 stations paying it and its up 33 spins w/w (yes, its only the past 2 days).

Triple A: #39

- #39 with 99 plays and 0.419 million impressions

-22 stations paying it and its up 116 spins w/w (yes, its only the past 2 days). This is the biggest play increase on the format

-6 stations added the song (#1 most added song)

I don't think we will see a big "push" until next week. I also can tell that this song will easily be top 3 and likely hit #1 on Triple A (smallest format) because those stations LOVE U2.

Cosmo Out!

You are doing great work for the people! Much appreciated.

What is active rock? It reminds of me of active wear, so I am picturing aerobics being involved. Assuming not.

9/9, 6:50 PM EST:

iTunes:
#1 Brazil
#1 Cayman Islands
#2 Argentina
#3 Luxembourg
#3 Malta
#4 Colombia
#4 Italy
#5 Netherlands
#6 Hungary
#6 Ireland
#7 Czech Republic
#7 Mexico
#7 Spain
#8 Norway
#9 Sweden
#10 Panama
#11 Philippines
#13 Portugal
#15 France
#15 Uganda
#16 Belgium
#16 Denmark
#16 Ecuador
#18 Indonesia
#18 Slovenia
#20 Chile
#21 South Africa
#22 Germany
#24 United States
#25 Austria
#27 Canada
#27 Papua New Guinea
#27 Switzerland
#30 Taiwan
#31 Finland
#32 Hong Kong
#36 Australia
#36 Turkey
#38 Malaysia
#39 United Kingdom
#40 Singapore
#41 New Zealand
#41 Poland
#44 Mauritius
#46 Russia
#49 Greece
#98 Thailand
#125 Japan

Apple Music:
#59 Ireland
#62 Slovenia
#67 Sweden
#70 Portugal
#78 Poland
#83 Netherlands
#85 Moldova
#86 Saudi Arabia
#90 Luxembourg
#95 Australia
#96 Egypt
#100 New Zealand
#111 Cayman Islands
#114 Czech Republic
#120 Norway
#122 Greece
#129 Italy
#131 Finland
#132 Belarus
#140 Spain
#142 United Arab Emirates
#142 Vietnam
#149 Slovakia
#149 South Korea
#151 Armenia
#163 Malta
#170 Oman
#172 Venezuela
#175 El Salvador
#180 Austria
#192 Bahrain

Spotify:
#49 Taiwan
#55 Portugal
#76 Ireland
#86 Czech Republic
#87 Hungary
#87 Poland
#100 Sweden
#105 Indonesia
#110 Spain
#114 Malaysia
#125 Worldwide
#125 United Kingdom
#134 Australia
#144 Netherlands
#145 Belgium
#149 Colombia
#153 Singapore
#177 Hong Kong
#177 Mexico
#185 Austria
#186 Canada
#193 Denmark
#198 New Zealand

So here are the updates I have from Mediabase as of 3p ET in order of Format size/importance

Hot AC:
- Not currently charting
-6 stations added the song (tied for 4th most adds)
-15 stations paying it and its up 120 spins w/w

Alternative: #40 up from #47
- #40 with 279 plays and 1.834 million impressions (listeners)
-17 stations added the song (#2 most added)
-50 stations paying it and its up 328 spins w/w (it doesn't match the number in the rank but I think that is a timing issue). This is the 3rd biggest play increase on the format

AC:

Active Rock:
-2 New station added the song (#1 most added)
-11 stations paying it and its up 55 spins w/w

Triple A: #23 up from #39
- #23 with 201 plays and 0.802 million impressions
-23 stations paying it and its up 228 spins w/w. This is the biggest play increase on the format
-14 stations added the song (#1 most added song)

-Its getting traction on Alternative and Triple A but lets add some context:
-The Miracle was # 1 on Triple A for 8 days and peaked at #25 on Alternative
-EBW peaked at # 6 on Triple A (shocking for me) and #23 on Alternative
-SFS peaked in the 20's on Triple A and didn't chart on Alternative that I could tell
-Invisible peaked at #1 on Triple A and #25 on Alternative
-I have Boots and Magnificent tracked somewhere…I just need to find them

-Hot AC is giving it a chance with 15 stations playing it but lets see where it heads from here.

-YouTube views are at ~1.4 million and seem to be slowing slightly but its a lyric video and not the official video…not sure that means much but it is what it is and if the video is done well, it might provide better context to the song and help it (Beck- Up all Night with You is a video I LOVE and it makes me really like the song)

-iTunes weighted rating is a 4.34 from 232 ratings (I personally gave it a 4/5). This doesn't tell us much as most of these ratings are likely from fans who purchased the single but I would think would rate it fairly (there may be bias there….not around these parts though :lol:

Its funny but a lot of SOI ratings were artificially brought down because people gave them 1 star reviews just because it was on their iPhone.

I don't think we will see a big "push" until next week as programers (as I have read in this forum) don't make decision on new adds until Friday's and well this came out only last Wednesday. So far, nothing special but its very earlier yet.

Cosmo Out!

-Its getting traction on Alternative and Triple A but lets add some context:
-The Miracle was # 1 on Triple A for 8 days and peaked at #25 on Alternative
-EBW peaked at # 6 on Triple A (shocking for me) and #23 on Alternative
-SFS peaked in the 20's on Triple A and didn't chart on Alternative that I could tell
-Invisible peaked at #1 on Triple A and #25 on Alternative
-I have Boots and Magnificent tracked somewhere…I just need to find them

Down here in South Florida, we have the alternative station "The Shark" -- an inferior successor to The Buzz from years ago.

There appears to be a decided bias against playing U2 on this station. When it first kicked off, you'd hear Beautiful Day occasionally. But when I called on an all-request weekend I was met with derision upon requesting Vertigo.

I sample the station while driving and never hear U2 played. They also have a live tracking of their spins and U2 is never listed. So I don't expect to hear Best Thing down here, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom