The Best Thing - Chart Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately not likely at all. They would need to add some more pop stations and rise even higher on hotAC, while holding steady on other formats, and that just isn't happening.
Also, relatively low numbers for youtube and streaming, compared to younger pop artists, really hinder their chances at nearing the top 100

Agreed. The only scenario where I see it happening is if being in the top 20 on HAC causes more top 40 stations to add the song, which would conceivably more than counteract the loss on the Alternative format.

I am surprised a little that it is still gaining some on HAC, and is up to #18 on "All Stations" on that format. But yeah, even MORE surprised that it did not stick on AC. A good run on that format would have likely put it in the top 125 for Overall AI, which would be within striking distance of the Top 100.

Big jump in spins on Hot AC update today, up 41 spins to a new high, and moves up 2 spots to a high of number 19. Has to be said though it is matched by a big drop in Alternative.

Wow! Great to hear. As has been said before, this song never belonged on Alternative radio anyway. If it can keep climbing on Hot AC, more top 40 stations will start picking it up. Still an interesting road ahead for this song.

Seems like Get Out has not been officially released as a single. So TBT still has some shelf life until they push a new one to radio.

11/07 update

HAC stays at #19, +9 spins, + 94k AI
AAA stays at #1, -7 spins, -14k AI
Alt stays at #27, -23 spins, -1k AI

Most of the top 10 are stable or falling in spins on AAA.

What I find strange here is everytime they have a big rise in spins on HAC their AI remains about the same or even decreases, whereas when their spins stay the same or increase slightly they get a reasonable increase in AI.

On Billboard
TBT rose a couple spots on Adult Pop chart,
dropped about 6 spots on Alternative
held steady on rock
and stayed at number one for fifth week on AAA!

11/07 update

HAC stays at #19, +9 spins, + 94k AI
AAA stays at #1, -7 spins, -14k AI
Alt stays at #27, -23 spins, -1k AI

Most of the top 10 are stable or falling in spins on AAA.

What I find strange here is everytime they have a big rise in spins on HAC their AI remains about the same or even decreases, whereas when their spins stay the same or increase slightly they get a reasonable increase in AI.

So up net 79k - is that a new peak for AI? What was the total?

So up net 79k - is that a new peak for AI? What was the total?

It’s still slightly off of its AI peek as at the moment it’s at 12.23 million vs 12.34 million a week ago.

As long as it continues to grow on Hot AC, it will be okay. If it can cross over into AC then it can begin to make big gains. Hopefully the ensuing promo will help.

Well, TBT is officially on the decline. It had a pretty strong run for a song from a 40 year old band, that came off one of the harshest backlashes of their career on the previous album.
Declines in all formats, plummeting off of Alternative, and finally dethroned from number one on AAA.

Good enough timing though. Bring on the next single. Timing would be great to get an official song and video out tomorrow or next Friday.

Well, TBT is officially on the decline. It had a pretty strong run for a song from a 40 year old band, that came off one of the harshest backlashes of their career on the previous album.
Declines in all formats, plummeting off of Alternative, and finally dethroned from number one on AAA.

Good enough timing though. Bring on the next single. Timing would be great to get an official song and video out tomorrow or next Friday.

And promote it more than TBT, could have a chance of doing better

And promote it more than TBT, could have a chance of doing better

Yeah, i mean, it's tough. I think they did as good of a promotion for TBT that they could while on tour for a 30 year old album. Them playing it in South America on tour is in no way doing any promo for the them in the US or Europe.

So if they hit a talk show or two, SNL, radio interviews, etc... with a new song to go along with it, thats great. But I don't see a new song doing a whole lot better than this one did. Maybe marginally better, but nothing crazy. They kind of have a ceiling now, that could only get broken through if they did something exceptional promotion wise. Super bowl, a popular movie or tv placement, what have you. Beyond that, they are stuck in charting well on a range of format specific charts, but still not quite hitting the pop charts.

Hasn't get out of your own way been released in the states then?

Was released here, being played on the usual stations. Think the highest I saw it on iTunes was 59

Unfortunately not likely at all. They would need to add some more pop stations and rise even higher on hotAC, while holding steady on other formats, and that just isn't happening.
Also, relatively low numbers for youtube and streaming, compared to younger pop artists, really hinder their chances at nearing the top 100

While the talk about the charting on the more minor charts is interesting, not making the HOT 100 is generally seen as a failure, or at least it was in the 1980s. Still, I wonder if they might make it to even #25 or #20 on the Bubbling Under Chart. That would give you a better Idea of how close they were to making the HOT 100.

There's been a lot of talk on this thread about the long ride Beautiful Day had before it really made an impact on the charts.
Does anyone know if BD dropped back after an initial rise before climbing higher later on?

I know Best Thing is not Beautiful Day. But context and circumstance can do a lot for people's appreciation of music. I guess I'm wondering if there's any precedent that may suggest Best Thing has a chance yet.

Though I assume it really doesn't.

There's been a lot of talk on this thread about the long ride Beautiful Day had before it really made an impact on the charts.
Does anyone know if BD dropped back after an initial rise before climbing higher later on?

I know Best Thing is not Beautiful Day. But context and circumstance can do a lot for people's appreciation of music. I guess I'm wondering if there's any precedent that may suggest Best Thing has a chance yet.

Though I assume it really doesn't.

At this point back in 2000, Beautiful Day was at #45 on the HOT 100 and rising. It had been on the HOT 100 at that point for 8 weeks. By comparison, You're The Best Thing has not even charted on the HOT 100 yet or even on the bubbling under HOT 100 chart.

There's been a lot of talk on this thread about the long ride Beautiful Day had before it really made an impact on the charts.QUOTE]

Maybe, maybe too much talk. This song is NOT Beautiful Day, this song is You're the Best Thing About Me.

FWIW, TBT is still on the Euro 200 chart this week, giving up six spots to come in at #81 from #75 last week. Now, it debuted at #24 some 10 weeks ago, and after 4 weeks it was off the chart. It has returned and seems to have found enough of a foothold in Europe to stabilize.

On Adult Alternative, or AAA, the song has peaked at #1. It seems to come and go on the AC top 50 but not really take off...while on Adult Pop (HAC) it's holding at #18. U2 songs have had an early peak before...then a decline...only to rise again as album release approaches.

I did listen the the SXM countdown again, and TBT came it at #3 on the Spectrum. It has been in their top 5 most requested songs for some 9 weeks now, but the station has never put it into "heavy rotation".

TBT has enjoyed an 8 week run on the Euro Airplay only chart

European Top 44 Airplay Chart

Behind the Euro200 and Euro Airlplay charts are individual charts for each country in the EU.

I just noticed that TBT is enjoying a resurgence in Europe, but check the link and you will also see Blackout, Little things that give you away, and Get out of your own way, all debuting in various countries that make up the EU. A bit odd...;unless album has leaked??

http://euro200.net/EU-nation.htm

Last edited:
From what I know, Get Out has NOT been released as an official single. Definitely not in the US, but not sure about Europe. Easy to tell. If you’re in Europe, go to your iTunes and see if it’s a single that can be purchased separately, or is it just a track you can purchase off the album.

From what I know, Get Out has NOT been released as an official single. Definitely not in the US, but not sure about Europe. Easy to tell. If you’re in Europe, go to your iTunes and see if it’s a single that can be purchased separately, or is it just a track you can purchase off the album.

Get out and blackout could be purchased in the uk

Went out on two road trips last week for some shows. Heard The Best Thing played at least three times on terrestrial radio, likely on Hot AC stations.

Get out and blackout could be purchased in the uk

They can be purchased in the US as well. But you purchase them off the album track listing.
TBT has its own page, as an official single, that you can go to and download it.
Also, Get Out cuts off mid Kendrick speech. They would never do that on an official single. It would be edited for radio to end appropriately.

Not sure if that is the same or different in UK. I would think the same, because we haven't gotten a radio edit of Get Out.

They can be purchased in the US as well. But you purchase them off the album track listing.
TBT has its own page, as an official single, that you can go to and download it.
Also, Get Out cuts off mid Kendrick speech. They would never do that on an official single. It would be edited for radio to end appropriately.

Not sure if that is the same or different in UK. I would think the same, because we haven't gotten a radio edit of Get Out.

Just a quick note: today spins on AAA went up 10, alight decline of 7 on HAC, although because of other songs falling faster it is up to #18 on HAC and looks like it may move up one or two places in the next few days. Interestingly, the song reappeared again on Active Rock! On the Overall AI chart, it's back up to 141. Maybe the song isn't dead yet? I'm hoping. Also hoping against hope that it shows up on AC again and pushed it toward the top 100.

Radio update today is similar to last few days really, dropping on Alternative, and spinning its wheels on Triple A and Hot AC. Does make a re-appearance on Active Rock though, back in the top 50, and still getting over 0.5m AI there. Hits a peak on AI overall on the back of that.

Just a quick note: today spins on AAA went up 10, alight decline of 7 on HAC, although because of other songs falling faster it is up to #18 on HAC and looks like it may move up one or two places in the next few days. Interestingly, the song reappeared again on Active Rock! On the Overall AI chart, it's back up to 141. Maybe the song isn't dead yet? I'm hoping. Also hoping against hope that it shows up on AC again and pushed it toward the top 100.

Sorry, Haywa, you beat me to it!

Yeah I think your right. The Kendrick part is on get out here aswell. Like you say it doesn't have its only single page.

I'm hearing get out a lot on the usual radio channels in the uk though. Sounds good on the radio

Yeah I think your right. The Kendrick part is on get out here aswell. Like you say it doesn't have its only single page.

I'm hearing get out a lot on the usual radio channels in the uk though. Sounds good on the radio

That's cool that it is on the radio there. It does seem like U2 just giving the UK some attention lately, that radio is actually playing a non official single. That's pretty impressive. That sort of thing doesn't really happen in the US.

Back
Top Bottom