The Best Thing - Chart Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update for 10/29:

-Total Spins: 3,028 (peak was 3,088 on 10/25)

-Total AI: 12.24 million, which is a peak for TBT

-US Radio Rank(Kworb): #145, which is a peak for TBT

Hot AC: #20 (Peak #20)

-Increases 25 spins to hit a new peak of 1,620

-Hits a new peak of 8.516 million impressions

-2 stations added the song this week

AC: No longer charting (peak #49)

Alternative: #24 (Peak #20)

-Falls 27 spins to 738

-Falls to 1.825 million impressions

-TBT will likely continue to decline on this format and while it might have a slight resurgence, it will not not hit a new peak

Active Rock: No longer charting (peak #41)

Triple A: #1 (Peak #2)

-Increases 17 spins to a new peak of 670

-Hits a new peak of 1.903 million impressions

-On its 52nd day on the chart, "You're the Best Thing About Me" hits #1 on this format (Published stations). The 1.903 million impressions and the 670 spins are some of the highest I have seen on this format. When "The Miracle" hit #1 it had a peak of ~1.772 million impressions and 618 spins.

Top 40: Not Charting in the top 50 and no longer on the "spin crease" chart

Last edited:
Maybe they are transitioning to an Adult Alt station??

Could be.

All I know is the TBT has disappeared from the playlist.

Nothing left now but the bang and the clatter as another single hits the ground.

Yeah, it's dropping quite quickly off of regular Alt stations. AAA is still going strong, and AC is still moving up as well.

I think about 13-14 million AI may be their cap on this one. So much depends on what the band does in the next week or two. But either way, the song has done quite well. And i think did the job that the band probably wanted it to do, at least at some level.

Still can't figure out how this song hasn't really broken into AC in a substantial way. I was hoping that a rise in AC would offset the drop in Alternative, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen.
In any event, getting the song to #145 in Overall AI makes this a very good result for U2. If they can somehow crack the top 125, that would be fantastic.
I know this was posted before, but we do have a comparison of how TBT performed compared to the post-Vertigo Bomb singles? Seems like it is right in that realm or slightly surpassed them.

Yeah, the AC thing is so completely strange, that i don't really know what to think, other than the band purposefully didn't present the song to AC. I seriously can't think of any other possibilities. But that seems so unlikely, that i just don't know.

It feels like TBT had more penetration than the SOI singles. I heard it much more, and many other people have said the same thing. I think that it outdid all NLOTH singles in spins, and is almost the same level in AI...
As for Bomb, not totally sure.

This is why we look to Cosmo!

Euro update as of 10/28

TBT rises from 24 to 22 on Italy Top 50 chart. It actually peaked on this chart at 15, then fell off the chart, but it's now returned and I suspect that is due to an increase in airplay. This is the 8th week TBT has been on the chart.

It also moves up to #2 in Croatia....and I'm sure it's making a comeback in other countries, too. The easiest and most telling chart is the EuroTop200. TBT rises again last week, moving from 87 to 75 also in it's 8th week on that chart. It did peak on the Euro200 at #24 in it's first week. Then it fell off of the chart completely. and I do remember it returning to the chart several weeks ago, around 175 or so.

Again, I am just guessing that it's gaining airplay on that chart as well, but I have not tried to figure out the exact formula for the Euro200. either.

Here are the updates I have for today:

You're the Best Thing About Me:

Total Spins: 3,019 (peak of 3,088 on 10/25)
Total AI: 12.11 million (peak of 12.24 on 10/29)
US Radio Rank (Kworb): 145 (peak 145 on 10/30)

Top 40: Not currently charting (haven't in years)

Hot AC: #20(Peaked #20)
- #20 with 1,624 plays and 8.473 million impressions
-2 stations added the song
-#16 on the "Spincrease" chart up 202 spins w/w

Alternative: #23 (Peaked #20)
- #23 with 720 plays and 1.727 million impressions
-It is declining on this chart although we might see a slight resurgence once the SOE promo starts

AC: No longer charting (Peak #49)

Active Rock: No longer charting (Peak #41)

Triple A: #1 (Peaked #1)
- #1 with 675 spins and 1.911 million impressions
-#7 on the "Spincrease" chart , up 45 plays w/w

My strong belief is that we will see heavy promo of SOE and in turn TBT starting this Wednesday. Even international performances could have an impact on US results if its a good enough performance (we are in the age of social media where even their acoustic set in Brazil made some headlines in the US via billboard and other music mags) Here is what is either confirmed or I think could happen:

11/1: Potential for an Album and tour announcement plus a new single (this isn't a bad thing for TBT)

11/4: NRJ Awards in France (CONFIRMED Bono, Adam and Kygo will perform TBT)….this could be one of those performances that trend if they hit a home run

11/10: Los40 Awards in Spain (potentially Bono, Adam and Kygo may perform TBT)

11/12: MTV Europe Music Awards (potential U2 may perform)

11/19: AMA Music Awards in Los Angeles (potential U2 may perform)

12/2: Saturday Night Live in New York (potential U2 may perform)

I would also imagine that U2 have some radio performances and or late night shows lined up prior to or during the week of the album release. All of this may actually help TBT on radio and increase its exposure. Even with the US promo being at earliest 2 weeks and likely 3 weeks away, it is well within expectation that TBT will be peaking or near peak radio levels at that point and this promo could reignite it. As I have mentioned, Hot AC is a massive format and both SFS and EBW both hit their peak at about chart day #105. With TBT only at chart day #50, that would mean they have potentially ~2 more months before they would see a peak on that chart.

Its also possible that U2 releases a second single and decides to push that single during their promo appearances but I don't think that will happen.

We will find out soon enough. :wave:

I know this was posted before, but we do have a comparison of how TBT performed compared to the post-Vertigo Bomb singles? Seems like it is right in that realm or slightly surpassed them.

From a spin perspective:
#1 Vertigo 6,517
#2 TBT 3,088
#3 ABOY 2,715
#4 SYCMOYO 2,660
#5 Get on your Boots 2,436
#6 Magnificent 2,417
#7 Song for Someone 1,965
#8 Invisible 1,631
#9 EBW 1,568
#10 The Miracle 1,321
I don't have info on Crazy Tonight or COBL but being that they were the 3rd and 4th singles from their respective album and didn't chart on the Hot 100 that they were likely around SFS or Magnificent spin territory.

From an AI perspective (its what matters most on radio):

#1 Vertigo 41.16
#2 ABOY 14.94
#3 SOMETIMES 14.64 (estimate)
#4 BOOTS 13.41 (estimate)
#5 MAGNIFICENT 13.30 (estimate)
#6 TBT 12.24
#7 Invisible 10.40
#8 Song for Someone 8.58
#9 EBW 8.35
#10 The Miracle 6.10

Billboard - new charts out today

TBT stays strong at number 20 on Adult POP chart (I'm guessing HotAC format) for 3 weeks I believe at number 20.

Moves up again from 18 to 16! on Hot Rock songs chart after peaking at number 5 and sliding to 24.

move up from 21 to 17! on Rock Airplay

Moves down from 22 to 27 on the Alternative Songs chart - falling fast here.

And it stays at NUMBER 1 on Adult Alternative chart for the FOURTH week in a row!

Maybe a commercial for the new album featuring TBT would be a good idea? Gets exposure about the band, the album, and people who haven't heard the song hear it and maybe.....maybe like it?

I do think that if it goes up for pre-order tomorrow on digital platforms, that if that's the one song that you can preview and purchase, it may get a boost of attention from that. Maybe some more sales and people going to youtube and also streaming it.

Also, if you get a download of it with your pre-order, that could really boost their download numbers for the short term.

I think that makes too much sense. I hope that's the plan.

Announce, Market/Promote, and have it available to pre-order download.

Doesn't that also boost album sales too?

I think that makes too much sense. I hope that's the plan.

Announce, Market/Promote, and have it available to pre-order download.

Doesn't that also boost album sales too?

It does. I believe 150 streams = 1 song download. 10 downloads equal 1 album sale. So 1500 streams of a song = 1 album sale as well.

So if 30,000 people pre -order the album and say half of them get TBT download -
That's 30,000 album sales, plus 1,500 more equivalent sales because of the song downloads.

This has to be their method right? They want relevancy. It may not come as a top 10 single, but a #1 album.

The only thing is it's been so long since TBT debuted, do they really think they can ride the song out another four weeks?

This has to be their method right? They want relevancy. It may not come as a top 10 single, but a #1 album.

The only thing is it's been so long since TBT debuted, do they really think they can ride the song out another four weeks?

Yeah, i dunno. I think they could ride it out, but it would be smarter for them to release a new song the week they release the album. It would capture all the biggest streaming and youtube view traffic that happens when it first gets released. AND draw even more attention to the fact that the album is also being released.
Sure it might only add a few thousand albums to their total, but it's better than nothing.

Sadly, U2 hitting number 1 (in the US) is definitely in jeopardy with Chris Stapleton having an album that week. He will probably hit about 300k.

I don't think U2 will hit that number unless they do a ticket promo tie in. So it's gonna be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully the band will do enough promo this coming month to get them one more number 1 album!!!

It really is one hell of a slow burn as it's been almost 2 months but the song is still hitting airplay and spin peaks every so many days due to its performance on Hot AC. IF the song follows the trend of recent Hot AC charting U2 songs, it might have nearly 2 months of gains left and I still maintain that it might catch on the AC format and potentially the Top 40/POP format(long shot).

However, here are my thoughts:

1-They should promote TBT but IMO I have yet to see a live performance of the song that made me say "there they are!". Most of the performances have been anywhere from "meh" to "pretty good" but if you are going to promote a song at 55...you need to be balls out good! :) This could change on 11/4 when they perform with Kygo in France. If they can figure out an arrangement that is.....balls out good....then I say they should go with it.

2-They should offer a 2nd single no matter what with the pre-purchase announcement. It would generate buzz and a lot of sales for the album. Perhaps GOOYOW would be a good offering but DONT release it to radio....just offer it as a track with the pre purchase.

3-They should then release a 2nd single in the form of The Blackout. This song is sonically different from TBT and won't threaten it at all on radio as it's not really an AC or Hot AC song but built for Active Rock and Alternative. Since TBT is off of the rock charts and declining on Alternative, this song would fill that gap.

At the end of the day, radio is a source of advertisement, like TV. The more people that hear your song, the more that stream it and buy it. It's not about an individual songs performance as much as the cumulative advertisements. So if TBT is getting 3k plays a day to 12 million people and The Blackout gets 1k plays to 3 million...that's 4K plays to 15 million people for SOE. The two songs should not(at least immediately, compete for spins or slots on playlists.

These guys know what they are doing this time around and have a plan and I would bet a massive promotional push is coming. They WILL have the #1 album in the US come December 7th.

It really is one hell of a slow burn as it's been almost 2 months but the song is still hitting airplay and spin peaks every so many days due to its performance on Hot AC. IF the song follows the trend of recent Hot AC charting U2 songs, it might have nearly 2 months of gains left and I still maintain that it might catch on the AC format and potentially the Top 40/POP format(long shot).

However, here are my thoughts:

1-They should promote TBT but IMO I have yet to see a live performance of the song that made me say "there they are!". Most of the performances have been anywhere from "meh" to "pretty good" but if you are going to promote a song at 55...you need to be balls out good! :) This could change on 11/4 when they perform with Kygo in France. If they can figure out an arrangement that is.....balls out good....then I say they should go with it.

2-They should offer a 2nd single no matter what with the pre-purchase announcement. It would generate buzz and a lot of sales for the album. Perhaps GOOYOW would be a good offering but DONT release it to radio....just offer it as a track with the pre purchase.

3-They should then release a 2nd single in the form of The Blackout. This song is sonically different from TBT and won't threaten it at all on radio as it's not really an AC or Hot AC song but built for Active Rock and Alternative. Since TBT is off of the rock charts and declining on Alternative, this song would fill that gap.

At the end of the day, radio is a source of advertisement, like TV. The more people that hear your song, the more that stream it and buy it. It's not about an individual songs performance as much as the cumulative advertisements. So if TBT is getting 3k plays a day to 12 million people and The Blackout gets 1k plays to 3 million...that's 4K plays to 15 million people for SOE. The two songs should not(at least immediately, compete for spins or slots on playlists.

These guys know what they are doing this time around and have a plan and I would bet a massive promotional push is coming. They WILL have the #1 album in the US come December 7th.

Cosmo, do you have numbers on Hot AC spins over the past couple of days? Haven’t seen them in a while.

Cosmo, do you have numbers on Hot AC spins over the past couple of days? Haven’t seen them in a while.

They’ve added 16 spins over the last 2 days on HotAC. Gained around a dozen on AAA sticking at number one now for a few days.
But overall, spins and AI are now decreasing. Alt spins are dropping at about 20 to 25 a day.

Depending on what happens today, we may a temporary bump of activity for the song. Or it may be time to get another song into play. We’ll see soon!!!

11/01 update

HAC - down one spot to 21 with a decrease of 1 spin and down 81k in AI
AAA - holds the top spot, also down 1 spin and 13k in AI
Alt - remains at #25 down 25 spins but an increase in AI of 50k

May start falling on all formats now with Get Out of Your Own Way and The Blackout both seemingly being released today. Too early in my oipinion, should have given TBT another week or two and released the new singles say 1 week before the album release to generate a buzz exactly at the right time.

Goes down in spins in Hot AC and Alternative bit hits a new peak on Triple A. I’m concerned a little on the 2 consecutive days down on Hot AC but not panicking yet.

Also gets 1 station add on Top 40 :)

Total spins: 2,954
Total AI: 12.05 million
US Radio Rank: 149 (+3 spots)

The YouTube vid for Best Thing has seen gains he past couple of days, likely around the additional exposure with the album announcement. It’s at 3.2 million views (lyric has 4.6 million).

Bit of a bump on Hot AC today, up 20 spins to a new peak and moves up on AI to a new peak there too. Might just be a temporary bump due to the news activity re SOE in the last couple of days?

Bit of a bump on Hot AC today, up 20 spins to a new peak and moves up on AI to a new peak there too. Might just be a temporary bump due to the news activity re SOE in the last couple of days?

Either way, great to see. As for the Top 40 stations, does anyone know if they’re adding the U2 version or the Kygo remix?

Could be. I'm pretty happy that for Overall AI they are right near the Top 140. Crossing fingers that more Top 40 stations will be adding and playing the song and push the numbers up even further. If not, I still think it's a good showing for the song. Honestly much better than I expected.

Total Spins: 2,949 (peak of 3,088 on 10/25)
Total AI: 12.20 million (peak of 12.24 on 10/29)
US Radio Rank (Kworb): 143 (peak 143 on 11/03)

-1 station added the song this week (Columbus Ohio, 0.11 million immersions from this 1 single station or ~7% of the total AI its currently getting from being #25 on the Alternative chart)

Hot AC: #21Peaked #20)
- #21with 1,650 plays and 8.591 million impressions
-On the "Spincrease" chart up 101 spins w/w

Alternative: #25 (Peaked #20)
- #25 with 611 plays and 1.65 million impressions

- #1 with 688 spins and 1.963 million impressions
-#9 on the "Spincrease" chart , up 34 plays w/w

Its off ~140 spins from its peak a little over a week ago of 3,088 but that is due to the fact that its declining faster on Alternative than it is growing on Hot AC. The important number is Audience Impressions of which TBT is near its peak of 12.24 million (currently at 12.20 million)

On its most important format, Hot AC, it does appear that its slowing in the week over week increases but today marks a peak in both spins and AI on this format and songs often slow down and then spike on Hot AC, so its premature to be worried. More over, it has hit a peak in the US radio charts at #143 on its ~57th day charting. Today also marks the 30th consecutive day over 10 million impressions. To provide context, the only song from the SOI period (Ordinary love, Invisible, The Miracle, EBW & SFS) to hit 10 million impressions was Invisible and it did so for only 1 day (yes, that is a low bar but it is what it is).

The Official YouTube video is sitting at ~3.3 million views and has seen increases in week over week views for 5 straight days, which is likely due to the increased exposure they have associated with the album and tour announcement (they are all over Facebook via Live Nation and U2's official page). Now 3 million views is not anything special, even by U2 standards but its only been out 5 weeks and has seen steady views/streams for the past 3 weeks. Also, the Lyric video has ~4.5 million views.

Ive mentioned it before but TBT actually has a very good chance of continuing to see gains on radio and the Billboard charts its currently on (and perhaps some its not :sexywink: ) with al of the promo that is coming.

The 11/1 Album and tour announcement plus a new singles definitely gave U2 more exposure and while radio hasn't seen much movement, YouTube views have and from an exposure standpoint, its all linked.

The big test will be tomorrow night (or tonight if you are already in France)

11/4: NRJ Awards in France (CONFIRMED Bono, Adam and Kygo will perform TBT)….this could be one of those performances that trend if they hit a home run. People love pets, kids and old people performing with young people (right, or do have that wrong? lol ) If U2 can belt out a kick ass version of TBT with Kygo…that WILL trend and it will generate buzz. If it falls flat, well then its a huge missed opportunity. I don't know how it works with just Bono and Adam as I would think the Edge would be more important but that just makes me more intrigued (#adamisthenewedge)

11/10: Los40 Awards in Spain (potentially Bono, Adam and Kygo may perform TBT)

11/12: MTV Europe Music Awards (potential U2 may perform)

11/19: AMA Music Awards in Los Angeles (potential U2 may perform)

11/20: North American Tickets go on sale and will likely generate buzz online and on radio

12/2: Saturday Night Live in New York (potential U2 may perform)

December/January- Grammy announcements. Listen, love TBT or hate it…the reality is that the Grammy folks love U2 as long as they aren't pissing people off by downloading their album on to every iPhone in the world. Don't be surprised for a nomination for TBT best group performance or pop performance or use of old lady glasses in a video.

Think of it this way: TBT has been clawing and fighting its way up the charts for 57 days. In the next 4 weeks, U2 is breaking out all the big guns it has to not only promote the album but TBT, so if it can't crack the AC (WTF already BTW) chart or Top 40 after the promo….it ain't gonna happen.

In any event, buckle the fuck up because its going to be a real fun 4 weeks with all the U2 we are going to get!!! :hyper:

Last edited:

Total Spins: 2,931 (peak of 3,088 on 10/25)
Total AI: 12.34 million (peak of 12.34 on 11/04)
US Radio Rank (Kworb): 142 (peak 142 on 11/04)

Hot AC: #21Peaked #20)
- #21 with 1,654 plays and 8.67 million impressions
-On the "Spincrease" chart up 72 spins w/w

Alternative: #25 (Peaked #20)
- #25 with 581 plays and 1.472 million impressions

-Mind you its on the "All Stations" chart at #48 with 15 spins (down 4 w/w).

- #1 with 696 spins and 2.197 million impressions
-#7 on the "Spincrease" chart , up 40 plays w/w

Notes:

-Overall- New peak in AI today (58th day charting) and a new peak today on the overall US radio charts at 142. Spins declined again but that is due to the free fall on the Alternative format.

-Triple A: It hits a peak in both spins and AI and is now in its 7th consecutive day at #1

-Hot AC: It hits a peak in in both spins and impressions.

-Alternative: It is starting to free fall a bit, dropping 20-30 spins a day. It possible that we will see a little stabilization in the coming weeks with the promo but we will likely not see much, if any, gains.

AC- Should rename this WTFAC as TBT is built for this format and yet it just can't seem to gain traction. It is floating just outside the Top 50 of the Published chart but does reenter the "All Stations" chart at #48 with 15 spins. Its not like this song is being ignored completely on this format but for whatever reason, the majority of stations aren't playing (yet). I still have hope that it will cross over, especially with the promo that is coming

I can't express how significant tonights performance of "You're the Best Thing About Me" in France is with Bono/Adam and Kygo performing. They have a massive opportunity to get this song to the next level if they can pull off a memorable performance. The media and general public might ignore a memorable U2 performance (although EBW at the EMA's got decent writ ups and positive reviews) but a U2 performance(aged rockers) with a young popular DJ is the stuff that of media gold. If the performance is bad, nothing will change with TBT and it will continue as is on the charts and radio. If its "so so", nothing will change and it will continue as is on the charts and radio. If its a success and they pull off a great performance then this song will take off in France and likely elsewhere(radio and charts). U2 is known for their live arrangements and how they can take a studio song to the next level live, so they need to dig down and do it again.

Big jump in spins on Hot AC update today, up 41 spins to a new high, and moves up 2 spots to a high of number 19. Has to be said though it is matched by a big drop in Alternative.

So how close is You're The Best Thing About Me to entering the "Bubbling Under Hot 100" chart or the HOT 100 chart itself?

So how close is You're The Best Thing About Me to entering the "Bubbling Under Hot 100" chart or the HOT 100 chart itself?

Unfortunately not likely at all. They would need to add some more pop stations and rise even higher on hotAC, while holding steady on other formats, and that just isn't happening.
Also, relatively low numbers for youtube and streaming, compared to younger pop artists, really hinder their chances at nearing the top 100

Back
Top Bottom