The Best Thing - Chart Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It has legs - seem to be a slow grower which is exactly where u2 has succeeded in the past with hits like beautiful day. If they can foster a top 20 with hot ac with continued growth and keep alternative and triple A more or less flat for 4 more weeks (likely peaked)... they have a chance to cross over to pop stations like BD did and the kygo mix has legs to shine there in that format ... seems like Spotify streaming is seeing a pickup in that mix. If u2 lands a top 40 pop hit and break 25m AI ... that would go down as a mammoth victory ... the chances of this were next to nill and I am starting to think they've got a well mapped strategy and can do it. In my opinion all songs pre released ... including blackout, little things, get out of your way ... sound like the making of a phenomenal album

I'm seeing probably a .000001% of any pop crossover for the band, with any song, at any time. If the song continues at the current pace of adds, and then it gets some sort of boost from a TV appearence or something, it has the possibility of peaking its head into the top 95 or so. And that would actually be a big victory for the band at this stage. They just don't have the streaming and view power to take the decent airplay to the next level of the pop charts.

My gut tells me that the song will peak at around 19 to 20 on HOT AC. They will need to rack up about 350 or so more spins to get to that. It will stick there in the 20-25 area for a few weeks and then start to drop pretty quickly. Especially if we get a new single in 2 or 3 weeks.
I hope I'm wrong and something kicks this up higher and actually onto the AC chart as well (so weird its not on there).

Alternatively, using the song in a commercial might work.

I know, I know - U2 "sold out". Most think they have already, so why not do it for real? :lol: It's getting more challenging to get a song from a brand new artist or an older artist to break out. Apparently, you have to be named Justin or Taylor to get a hit.

A commercial or if they could get it featured in an actual highly rated, yet cool TV show, it would see a week or two surge that could kick them onto the Hot100 for a minute. But barring that, I think we have to settle for decent airplay on a few radio formats.

Lots and lots of driving for me for past 10 days. Mostly listen my own U2 playlists, but I've also tuned into Siriusxm. TBT dropped to #2 for a few days last week, but regained #1 enough times to retake the top spot for the week..,.DJ said something like TBT was back to the top spot...and that means it has been #1 on the Spectrum's (channel 28) Top 5 WEEKLY chart on 4 out of 5 weeks since release.

I just tried to sign up to be a "taste maker" for this daily/weekly countdown, but I got too many warnings from AVAST security to actually bring up the vote page. Had the same problem for the Alt 18 weekly countdown on AltNation channel 36.

What really jumps out at me on Sat radio is that U2 gets a ton of airplay from classic rock stations, decade only stations, as well as stations playing mostly current stuff. Not sure if that's great for U2 or if it says more about the dearth of good bands & real music this century...

My gut tells me that the song will peak at around 19 to 20 on HOT AC. They will need to rack up about 350 or so more spins to get to that. It will stick there in the 20-25 area for a few weeks and then start to drop pretty quickly. Especially if we get a new single in 2 or 3 weeks.

I hope I'm wrong and something kicks this up higher and actually onto the AC chart as well (so weird its not on there).

You are one of the most optimistic people here....stay positive! Lol

What's odd about all of this promo strategy is that U2 clearly has a plan but I'm not sure what it is.....

They clearly like TBT and believe in the song. They released a single, a Kygo single and an acoustic single. They released a lyric video, proper vid and a documentary type vid. They played it on Fallon and live at every show since Fallon.

The song is doing well on radio and still growing. It hit 2,781 spins today (a peak) more than ANY U2 song since Vertigo. It hit 11 million impressions (a peak) which is not too far behind the NLOTH and BOMB songs (minus Vertigo). The song is growing on AAA, Alternative and Hot AC still and it will show up on AC eventually (come on...its built for this format).

Yet, they are very possibly going to release another song soon that will likely cannibalize air play for TBT.

I still think TBT will hit the hot 100 btw....I know, I'm a fool.

Yet, they are very possibly going to release another song soon that will likely cannibalize air play for TBT.

I'm not sure that's true. For instance, the Killers released a second single from their new album called Run for Cover, but the original single, The Man, continued to rise on the charts and has become their biggest hit in years.

The same can be said for Ed Sheeran's release of Castle on the Hill. It didn't slow down Shape of You. Of course, he's in his world right now though even though both songs are awful.

Still, I think there's room for two U2 songs on the radio, IF they're both good.

I'm not sure that's true. For instance, the Killers released a second single from their new album called Run for Cover, but the original single, The Man, continued to rise on the charts and has become their biggest hit in years.

The same can be said for Ed Sheeran's release of Castle on the Hill. It didn't slow down Shape of You. Of course, he's in his world right now though even though both songs are awful.

Still, I think there's room for two U2 songs on the radio, IF they're both good.

Perhaps you're right.

On a side note, you don't like Castle on the Hill? I like that song a lot, the melody and the way he delivers the verses and especially the chorus is pretty cool.

I think I like a couple of his songs (is he considered "manufactured pop" ?)

Perhaps you're right.

On a side note, you don't like Castle on the Hill? I like that song a lot, the melody and the way he delivers the verses and especially the chorus is pretty cool.

I think I like a couple of his songs (is he considered "manufactured pop" ?)

Manufactured is exactly the write word for Castle on the Hill. Sounds like a song built in a lab to intentionally pull on people's heart strings. He also didn't write it by himself.

His original hit however, The A Team, is a great song.

You are one of the most optimistic people here....stay positive! Lol

What's odd about all of this promo strategy is that U2 clearly has a plan but I'm not sure what it is.....

They clearly like TBT and believe in the song. They released a single, a Kygo single and an acoustic single. They released a lyric video, proper vid and a documentary type vid. They played it on Fallon and live at every show since Fallon.

The song is doing well on radio and still growing. It hit 2,781 spins today (a peak) more than ANY U2 song since Vertigo. It hit 11 million impressions (a peak) which is not too far behind the NLOTH and BOMB songs (minus Vertigo). The song is growing on AAA, Alternative and Hot AC still and it will show up on AC eventually (come on...its built for this format).

I still think TBT will hit the hot 100 btw....I know, I'm a fool.

You’re no fool. And I may have been feeling a bit pessimistic today, but I also want to be realistic.

Truthfully, the Hot100 will be a stretch, but not impossible. This is without a doubt, the most thought out promotion of a single they’ve done. And they’re getting it to a respectable place. But the truth is, streaming and YouTube weakness absolutely hobbles them. And unless they were to do some sort of major promo piece, that’s not going to change.

OL popped into the Hot100 briefly because it got about 30 million YouTube views in a couple weeks. I’m sure streaming went way up for a short period as well.
Right now, all version of TBT videos are just reaching 6 million combined views. Not bad, it’s better than lots of U2 videos that have been on for years. But it’s not getting them to the hot100, yet.

Best case, they hold steady on the alt charts. With about a 5 spin increase a day average over both formats for 3 weeks. They increase an average of 35 spins a day on Hot AC for 3 weeks, and they decrease a spin every couple days on active rock.
That would give them around 800 more spins, or 3600 total.
And a total AI of 15 to 16 million.
Now the question would be, if it got itself into the top 15 to 20 on HotAC, would that in itself get it boosted even more?? Possibly, but a lot depends on the bands next move.
I think October 20th will tell if TBT will get doubled down on or replaced with a second single.

Either way, if it does what I described above, that is a pretty damn impressive feat by a bunch of 60 year olds, in a 42 year old band, that hasn’t had a hit in over 13 years, and who shot themselves in the foot retail, radio and chart wise on their last release.

I would love to see them get somewhere in the 80’s or 90’s on the Hot100. Keeping my fingers crossed.

OL popped into the Hot100 briefly because it got about 30 million YouTube views in a couple weeks. I’m sure streaming went way up for a short period as well.
Right now, all version of TBT videos are just reaching 6 million combined views. Not bad, it’s better than lots of U2 videos that have been on for years. But it’s not getting them to the hot100, yet.

OL also hit the Hot 100 because it was advertised on the Super Bowl and was a charity single - meaning all downloads counted for charity. I think it had a bit iTunes influence as a result.

Magnificent also briefly hit the Hot 100. Could YTBT? Maybe - but I keep comparing it to BD which took a VERY long time to grow and grow. There were a few times it seemed to dip, but then it was transferring away from the rock stations to AC/Hot AC type stations. And once it became a top hit on AC, that's when it really started to climb the Hot 100.

I'm not saying YTBT will follow that exact pattern or reach #21 on the Hot 100 like BD did. That song was a bit more impactful, IMO. YTBT is a bit like "The Sweetest Thing" remake, which also hit the Hot 100, but in the 60's, if I recall.

Well maybe no one wants to report today’s news, so here goes.

TBT:
lost 10 spins on Alternative radio. Not shocking, but not good

Only gained 2 spins on AAA, which is pretty meager,.

Most surprising is it only gained 18 spins on HotAC.
After weeks of getting 35 to 65 adds. That just kinda sucks.

Now my hope is that this is just a little blip, and it will continue to make some more progress. Who knows.
But even if it starts to level out, this song has done really well.
I guess we wait and see what tomorrow brings.

Well maybe no one wants to report today’s news, so here goes.

TBT:
lost 10 spins on Alternative radio. Not shocking, but not good

Only gained 2 spins on AAA, which is pretty meager,.

Most surprising is it only gained 18 spins on HotAC.
After weeks of getting 35 to 65 adds. That just kinda sucks.

Now my hope is that this is just a little blip, and it will continue to make some more progress. Who knows.
But even if it starts to level out, this song has done really well.
I guess we wait and see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks for all the updates. Much appreciated :up:

The thing about radio spins, people are saying it's all connected, and I get that, but I am seeing it this way:

The song is getting plenty of spins, but sales and downloads and streams are still low. Basically, people are hearing the song on the radio and nobody wants to buy/own it. Maybe that's streaming letting U2 down, I don't know, but I still can't get past the fact that it got to #92 in the uk charts compared to all those other U2 singles. Ireland is an even worse case, it got in the 90's there too, and previously it was very rare that U2 missed the top 10. And they had shit loads of top 5 hits and number 1's.

I mean, you can't control what comes on the radio. Only yesterday I turned the radio off because Sam Smith came on and I couldn't stand his voice. I was at work, and I stopped what I was doing especially to turn the radio off lol.

Last edited:
The thing about radio spins, people are saying it's all connected, and I get that, but I am seeing it this way:

The song is getting plenty of spins, but sales and downloads and streams are still low. Basically, people are hearing the song on the radio and nobody wants to buy/own it.

I mean, you can't control what comes on the radio. Only yesterday I turned the radio off because Sam Smith came on and I couldn't stand his voice. I was at work, and I stopped what I was doing especially to turn the radio off lol.

But the flaw in the logic here is that radio is a business that’s sole purpose is to increase listenership. They do this by playing songs people request, and ones that people want to hear.

There are other factors that may influence low sales/streams. Firstly, there are no physical formats, and people over 50 tend to still buy physical items. Secondly, streaming is largely controlled by teens and people in their early 20s. These are neither u2’s demographic, or the target audiences of adult contemporary radio stations.

Spins is still a valid indicator for a large market segment that just aren’t into streaming of mp3s. U2’s flaw is not releasing vinyl singles with all the versions.

But the flaw in the logic here is that radio is a business that’s sole purpose is to increase listenership. They do this by playing songs people request, and ones that people want to hear.

There are other factors that may influence low sales/streams. Firstly, there are no physical formats, and people over 50 tend to still buy physical items. Secondly, streaming is largely controlled by teens and people in their early 20s. These are neither u2’s demographic, or the target audiences of adult contemporary radio stations.

Spins is still a valid indicator for a large market segment that just aren’t into streaming of mp3s. U2’s flaw is not releasing vinyl singles with all the versions.

When was the last time they released a physical single? Was it GOYB?

Magnificent was the first U2 song since A Celebration to miss the top 40 here in the UK, and people went wild. That was #42. Then Crazy Tonight did a bit better, at #32. Since then, their chart positions have been much lower. I am guessing the charts system has changed even more since 2009?

U2’s flaw is not releasing vinyl singles with all the versions.

I read a rumor that U2 will release a vinyl single for TBT on Black Friday and they stated it would be for Record Store Day....I think U2 Songs posted it.

I read a rumor that U2 will release a vinyl single for TBT on Black Friday and they stated it would be for Record Store Day....I think U2 Songs posted it.

This is true. 2000 limited release. But this is way too late. Would have been cool if they would have done like a 5000 limited release about a week or two ago. They would have been snapped up and probably gotten enough physical copies along with downloads/streams and views to get them onto the Hot100 for a week.

spin update

Things look a bit brighter today.

TBT remains at number 22 on HotAC adding 20 spins.

It stays put on active rock with no new spin adds

It stays at 23 on Alt radio with 6 spin adds

and it move up to number 3! on AAA with 11 added spins. The second biggest add on the chart.

kworb is showing 11.5 million total AI with almost 3300 spins in their wrap up section. But adding up each individual station it comes out closer to 2850 spins... So again, not really sure there, but I guess the actual number falls somewhere in between.

So still growing at the moment, albeit at a much slower pace, but that's to be expected i suppose.

Another Billboard update

TBT
Drops from 15 to 24 on Hot Rock Songs chart
They stay put at 19 on Rock airplay chart
They move down from 21 to 23 on Alternative Rock chart
They move up from 25 to 21 on Adult Pop Song chart

All NLOTH songs had physical releases. 2009 was a different time, and you really can’t draw comparisons.

Not really - at least in the U.S. U2 stopped releasing singles in the U.S. after "Pop", as they felt it wasn't needed. The U.K. and other parts of the world still had CD singles though.

That said, "Magnificent" was readily available as a CD single, but it was still considered an import.

So still growing at the moment, albeit at a much slower pace, but that's to be expected i suppose.

I've seen no additional support for this song. They need to do something more than just Fallon. Maybe they are waiting until the album release date draws closer before they do the push. But I'm not really hearing a thing about U2's song or album (other than a token DJ playing an older song saying a new release expected in December).

I've seen no additional support for this song. They need to do something more than just Fallon. Maybe they are waiting until the album release date draws closer before they do the push. But I'm not really hearing a thing about U2's song or album (other than a token DJ playing an older song saying a new release expected in December).

Hard to do much when you're touring in South America. That's a real issue. My guess is that they have given this the push they planned to. Which at least seemed thought out more than recent releases.
If it starts to plateau next week, That may be just the right timing if they are planning on a second single on the 20th, or end of the month.

The tour will wrap up and they will be back to do real promotion for the new single and the album.
Interviews, tv and radio appearances. Would think they would try to get on SNL in late November right before the album drops, or even better, the December 2nd show, the day after the album hits.
No SNL last time around which sucked. So i hope they do it this time.

Not really - at least in the U.S. U2 stopped releasing singles in the U.S. after "Pop", as they felt it wasn't needed. The U.K. and other parts of the world still had CD singles though.

That said, "Magnificent" was readily available as a CD single, but it was still considered an import.

According to discogs both Magnificent and Crazy Tonight has CD releases in the US. Crazy Tonight also had a 12” vinyl release in the US.

I agree - but there are other ways to promote rather than just performing on shows.

Very true. obviously some mag interviews/articles/covers. iTunes special promo deals, etc... But hard to beat TV for blanket viewership.

There's a thread at @u2 talking about a Grammy 60th anniversary special, airing Black Friday, November 24th.
If U2 performs, it would be cool to see them do the current single along with an older tune. But most likely it would just be a grammy winning song. :down:

info:

Music’s biggest night is turning 60 and to celebrate this milestone, The Recording Academy will present a Grammys retrospective primetime special looking back on some of the award show’s most memorable moments.

“Grammys Greatest Stories: A 60th Anniversary Special,” which will air on November 24 from 9 – 11 p.m. on CBS, will take a behind-the-scenes look at the past 59 years of Grammys performances and history. Special segments will include reactions from Grammy producers and members of the music community following the tragic loss of Whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin’s unexpected opera performance at the 40th Annual Grammy Awards, and Paul McCartney bringing the Beatles’ legendary album, “Abbey Road,” to the Grammy stage. The program will also feature archival footage, exclusive interviews, and special appearances from Grammy winners like Christina Aguilera, Mary J. Blige, Celine Dion, Aretha Franklin, Dave Grohl, Elton John, Bruno Mars, Chris Martin, Paul McCartney, Ed Sheeran, Bruce Springsteen, Sting, U2, and Keith Urban.

“As we approach this milestone in Grammy history, we are excited to give music fans a glimpse into what artists, musicians, producers, set designers, and others do to make those unforgettable Grammy moments,” said Neil Portnow, President/CEO of the Recording Academy. “This special will take audiences on a new journey as they relive those extraordinary moments that can only be seen on the Grammys.”

According to discogs both Magnificent and Crazy Tonight has CD releases in the US. Crazy Tonight also had a 12” vinyl release in the US.

If true, then I apologize. I do recall seeing Magnificent readily available and thought it was U2's first single in the U.S. on CD since the Pop era. However, I then read that these were considered imports. So all confused.

Either way, Magnificent did chart briefly in the 80's. Crazy never charted.

Here are the updates I have from Mediabase as of 8p ET in order of Format size/importance.

You're the Best Thing About Me:

Top 40:
-Not currently charting (haven't in years)

Hot AC: #22 (Peak #22)
- #22 with 1,230 plays and 6.383 million impressions
-4 stations added the song (tied for 3rd most added)
-Up 355 spins w/w (6th biggest increase)

Alternative: #21 (Peak #20)
- #23 with 878 plays and 2.447 million impressions
-0 stations added the song
-Up 26 spins w/w

AC:
- Not currently charting in the top 50

Active Rock: #42 (Peak #41)
- #42 with 136 plays and 0.666 million impressions
-0 station added the song

Triple A: #3 (Peak #3)
- #3 with 582 plays and 1.596 million impressions
-0 station added the song
-Up 36 plays w/w (8th biggest increase)

KWORB Total US Radio Rank: #160 (peak #160)

Summary:

Hot AC: Continues to grow very well on this format, the most important format for U2 due to its size and how closely it is related to Top 40(a song that is a hit on this format can cross over)

AC: I am still perplexed it hasn't charted yet on this format and do expect it to do so soon. TBT is built for Hot AC and AC. I just can't explain why its not there yet.

Alternative: It is slowing down substantially on this format unfortunately. Its still gaining but those gains are getting smaller and smaller. It is very possible to have a resurgence on this format as The Miracle hit a peak, then fell for about a week straight in spins only to come back a week later and hit a new peak in spins and impressions before finally dying off.

Active Rock: While it has slowed down to a crawl on this format, it is actually up to near a peak in spins, which to me is impressive. As I have mentioned previously, TBT is not built for the Active Rock format. I do expect it to begin to fall off of this format soon but for now its hanging on near peak numbers.

Triple A: It continues to move up the chart hitting the top 3 now. It is almost inevitable that this song will hit #1 within the next week.

KWORB Position: Its at 160, which means it is the 160th most played (measured by impressions) song on US radio. This is a peak number for TBT and I personally expect it to continue to climb given how impacting the Hot AC format is to impressions. While this ranking is directional as data outside the top 75 is not very accurate, it should be noted that as you would expect it is a higher position than Ordinary Love, The Miracle (#262), Every Breaking Wave (#180), Song for Someone (#179) or Invisible (#168) ever hit.

TBT today hit a high in spins (2,826) and impressions (11.09 million). From a spin perspective, it has more than the peak spins count of Ordinary Love, The Miracle, Every Breaking Wave, Invisible, SFS, Magnificent and Boots, Sometimes You can't Make it On Your Own or All Because of You(also higher than COBL and Crazy Tonight but I don't have their numbers). The king of this hill is Vertigo at 6,517 spins!

The 11.09 million impressions is more than the peak of Ordinary Love, The Miracle, Every Breaking Wave an SFS and Invisible. After Invisible on the "Impressions ladder" comes Magnificent at an estimated 13.3 million impressions followed by Boots at 13.41 million impressions, so its got some ways to go. You might be wondering why both of those have higher impressions than TBT when they had less spins, well its all about the format and those had more of their spins on AC and Hot AC vs TBT that has a healthy mix of the "weaker" Triple A and Alternative formats.

TBT continues to grow on radio at a fairly solid rate. Its by no means a "hit" but its going in the right direction as I do believe there is a strong correlation between radio airplay and sales, which will eventually translate over to the Hot 100. Unfortunately, Im not seeing any increase in US sales at the moment on iTunes but perhaps if it continues to gain in impressions (maybe closer to ~15 million) we will start to see that correlation at work.

I agree with most others that a TV appearance would be very beneficial.( Late Night, Morning Shows, SNL, awards show, etc..) While many here, myself included, don't like to cross that line always moving line of "sell out", what might be best for this song is to tie it to a commercial of some sort (not selling Vitamin Water like "Feel It Still" but something that is music related…I don't know what that is but something like that. Even if its the NFL, but that would likely be enough to get this song over the hump!

Bottom line….Im really digging this song still and thats the most important thing for me :wave:

Back
Top Bottom