The Best Thing - Chart Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For what it's worth, here are the UK singles charts positions for all U2 singles (I've excluded live versions, remixes, covers, and collaborations). Placed in order of highest to lowest charting:

1 - Desire
1 - The Fly
1 - Discotheque
1 - Beautiful Day
1 - Vertigo
1 - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
2 - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
2 - Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
2 - City Of Blinding Lights
3 - Pride (In The Name Of Love)
3 - Staring At The Sun
3 - Sweetest Thing
3 - Elevation
4 - With Or Without You
4 - Where The Streets Have No Name
4 - All I Want Is You
4 - Stay (Far Away, So Close!)
4 - All Because Of You
4 - Window In The Skies
5 - Walk On
5 - Electrical Storm
6 - The Unforgettable Fire
6 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
6 - When Love Comes To Town
6 - Miss Sarajevo
7 - One
7 - Please
9 - Angel Of Harlem
10 - New Year's Day
10 - Last Night On Earth
12 - Even Better Than The Real Thing
12 - If God Will Send His Angels
12 - Get On Your Boots
13 - Mysterious Ways
14 - Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
18 - Two Hearts Beat As One
32 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
35 - Fire
42 - Magnificent
47 - A Celebration
48 - In God's Country (IMPORT)
55 - Gloria
65 - Invisible
82 - Ordinary Love
92 - You're The Best Thing About Me
??? - 11 'Oclock Tick-Tock
??? - A Day Without Me
??? - I Will Follow

Any other U2 single not on this list was not released in the UK. And the SOI singles were not eligible to chart as far as I understand.

From looking at this list, look at how low YTBTAM is!
I know the charts have changed over the years, but really - it is almost rock bottom! I don't even know if the SOI singles were eligible to chart, but other than this, TBT is U2's lowest ever charting song in the UK from the post-boy era!

PS - Does anyone know what numbers those "???" singles got to in the UK?
I know they didn't reach the top 100, but does anyone know where I can find out what exact number they peaked at?

Last edited:
Essentially the SOI "singles" were free as part of the album and would not qualify to chart plus they were not even released commercially as actual singles in the UK ala the 2009 releases. They were issued to radio albeit they all have original jpg art files.

The single version of EBW was the piano version while SFS was a 'remix' and had a "B-Side" in some territories, a Live version from San Jose in 2015.

The first few 1980 singles didn't chart in the UK.

Aside from US radioplaylisting highlighted in this thread, TBT has been pretty poorly received by the more casual fans/public in general as that #92 shows.

To answer your question, Triple A = Adult Alternate (alt songs that are geared toward someone like me - U2, Beck, Spoon, Manchester Orchestra, War On Drugs, The National)

Regular Alternative stations are gonna be filled with shit like Imagine Dragons, 21 Pilots, 30 Seconds to Mars, and younger artists like Lorde and Vance Joy.

HotAC (Hot Adult Contemporary) are stations that you hear that say, we play all the hits from the 90's to Today!! They mostly play current hit songs, but tilt a bit more to the more mature side, eschewing almost all rap and R&B.

Total AI = Audience Impressions. How many people are actually hearing the songs. So more spins equals more impressions, but spins on certain types of stations like Top40 pop will reach more people because they have a larger audience in general.

Hope that helps

Thanks for this at least now I know what you guys are talking about... and I'm pleasantly surprised TBT is doing so well. Not because I don't think the song is good - it's just not sure where/how U2 fits in radio.

US Hot 100 list:

1 - With Or Without You
1 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
3 - Desire
9 - Mysterious Ways
10 - One
10 - Discotheque
13 - Where The Streets Have No Name
14 - Angel Of Harlem
16 - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
21 - Beautiful Day
26 - Staring At The Sun
31 - Vertigo
32 - Even Better Than The Real Thing
33 - Pride (In The Name Of Love)
35 - Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
37 - Get On Your Boots
44 - In God's Country
52 - Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
53 - New Year's Day
57 - Last Night On Earth
61 - The Fly
61 - Stay (Far Away, So Close!)
63 - Sweetest Thing
68 - When Love Comes To Town
77 - Electrical Storm
79 - Magnificent
83 - All I Want Is You
84 - Ordinary Love
99 - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
101 - Two Hearts Beat As One
101 - All Because Of You (As #1 in the bubbling under charts)
103 - Lemon (As #3 in the bubbling under charts)
103 - Please? (As #3 in the bubbling under charts)
108 - Invisible (As #8 in the bubbling under charts)
116 - Elevation (As #16 in the bubbling under charts)
118 - Walk On (As #18 in the bubbling under charts)
??? - A Day Without Me
??? - I Will Follow
??? - Gloria
??? - Fire
??? - A Celebration
??? - The Unforgettable Fire
??? - Miss Sarajevo
??? - If God Will Send His Angels
??? - City Of Blinding Lights
??? - Window In The Skies
??? - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
??? - You're The Best Thing About Me

The ??? singles are the ones that didn't reach the top 100 (although for some reason THBAO's 101 position is on wikipedia...)

Again, I don't know if the SOI singles were eligible to chart in the US.

It's odd that MW is one of U2's highest charting singles in the US, but pretty much failed in the UK....

Is there any way of finding out the chart positions for the ??? singles?

Last edited:
I noticed that about Mysterious Ways as well. It seemed like Achtung was bigger in the US, and ATYCLB and Bomb were bigger in the UK.
I think Mysterious Ways set the record for most consecutive weeks on the modern rock and rock charts in the US at the time, and it either still stands, or it kept that honor for a long time.

Last edited:
Looks like it may be sort of nearing a plateau. But as long as it keeps adding spins, even in a small way, instead of declining, that's a good thing. Would love to see it climb long enough to break Magnificent and Boots AI, and top SYCMIOYO, and All Because of You in spins.
That would be a pretty damn successful run.

I could be wrong, but it still seems like it has some legs before plateauing. The next 3-4 days will be telling. I think generally the additions to the number of spins tends to be greater over the weekend and at the beginning of the week. Would love to see it continue on this path (or close to it) for the next couple of weeks. Getting into the top 20 on HAC would be huge. Then, as we get close to the album release, that should provide an additional boost.

Still can't believe it hasn't been picked up on AC stations. Seems tailor-made for that format. Does anyone have any info on why it hasn't even cracked the top 50 on AC? I don't think there is another current song in the top 40 on HAC that hasn't made the top 50 on AC. Weird. :hmm:

US Hot 100 list:

1 - With Or Without You
1 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
3 - Desire
9 - Mysterious Ways
10 - One
10 - Discotheque
13 - Where The Streets Have No Name
14 - Angel Of Harlem
16 - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
21 - Beautiful Day
26 - Staring At The Sun
31 - Vertigo
32 - Even Better Than The Real Thing
33 - Pride (In The Name Of Love)
35 - Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
37 - Get On Your Boots
44 - In God's Country
52 - Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
53 - New Year's Day
57 - Last Night On Earth
61 - The Fly
61 - Stay (Far Away, So Close!)
63 - Sweetest Thing
68 - When Love Comes To Town
77 - Electrical Storm
79 - Magnificent
83 - All I Want Is You
84 - Ordinary Love
99 - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
101 - Two Hearts Beat As One
101 - All Because Of You (As #1 in the bubbling under charts)
103 - Lemon (As #3 in the bubbling under charts)
103 - Please? (As #3 in the bubbling under charts)
108 - Invisible (As #8 in the bubbling under charts)
116 - Elevation (As #16 in the bubbling under charts)
118 - Walk On (As #18 in the bubbling under charts)
??? - A Day Without Me
??? - I Will Follow
??? - Gloria
??? - Fire
??? - A Celebration
??? - The Unforgettable Fire
??? - Miss Sarajevo
??? - If God Will Send His Angels
??? - City Of Blinding Lights
??? - Window In The Skies
??? - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
??? - You're The Best Thing About Me

The ??? singles are the ones that didn't reach the top 100 (although for some reason THBAO's 101 position is on wikipedia...)

Again, I don't know if the SOI singles were eligible to chart in the US.

It's odd that MW is one of U2's highest charting singles in the US, but pretty much failed in the UK....

Is there any way of finding out the chart positions for the ??? singles?

You'd think that with Staring at the Sun being a pretty significant Top 40 hit, that U2 would actually play it once in a while in concert for crying out loud!! :angry::angry:

You'd think that with Staring at the Sun being a pretty significant Top 40 hit, that U2 would actually play it once in a while in concert for crying out loud!! :angry::angry:

WGRYWH did amazingly in the US too. Respectful position, but also it was the FIFTH single from the album for crying out loud, so considering that, it did extremely well. And it never gets played, didn't even make the best of 90-00.

Holy shitballs.
So looking at next weeks chart. The Killers have now bested Katy Perry, Foo Fighters and Madonna to have the largest second week decline ever!
94% decline. That is mind boggling.

Scarier is that Shania Twain only hit 130k at number 1

Pop star Demi Levato debuts at number 3 with only 47k

And Miley Cyrus debuts at number 4 with a mere 33.5k

This is scary stuff. I’m hoping U2 can get 150 or higher and then don’t take too huge of a second week nose dive.

Holy shitballs.

So looking at next weeks chart. The Killers have now bested Katy Perry, Foo Fighters and Madonna to have the largest second week decline ever!

94% decline. That is mind boggling.

Scarier is that Shania Twain only hit 130k at number 1

Pop star Demi Levato debuts at number 3 with only 47k

And Miley Cyrus debuts at number 4 with a mere 33.5k

This is scary stuff. I’m hoping U2 can get 150 or higher and then don’t take too huge of a second week nose dive.

So are those actual sales numbers or are they sales+ all the bullshit that they count towards a a “fake sale”? I ask because if it has all that other crap baked into it then you are taking about 2-3 months of YouTube streams and single sales and Spotify streams all added into week 1 and then week 2 is only 1 week of all that stuff vs the 12 weeks baked into the week of release.

So are those actual sales numbers or are they sales+ all the bullshit that they count towards a a “fake sale”? I ask because if it has all that other crap baked into it then you are taking about 2-3 months of YouTube streams and single sales and Spotify streams all added into week 1 and then week 2 is only 1 week of all that stuff vs the 12 weeks baked into the week of release.

I have come to believe that isn’t how it works. I may be wrong, but I think streams are not tallied up for months and added to the first week. I think they just take the streams from that week. And YouTube views aren’t being used for the album charts yet, so that wouldn’t be effecting it yet.
These numbers are from hitsdailysouble, so not official Billboard, but they are usually pretty close.

I dunno. It’s all become really confusing and as much as I’ve tried I can’t get definitive answers on how the first week is compiled.

For what it's worth, here are the UK singles charts positions for all U2 singles (I've excluded live versions, remixes, covers, and collaborations). Placed in order of highest to lowest charting:

1 - Desire
1 - The Fly
1 - Discotheque
1 - Beautiful Day
1 - Vertigo
1 - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
2 - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
2 - Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
2 - City Of Blinding Lights
3 - Pride (In The Name Of Love)
3 - Staring At The Sun
3 - Sweetest Thing
3 - Elevation
4 - With Or Without You
4 - Where The Streets Have No Name
4 - All I Want Is You
4 - Stay (Far Away, So Close!)
4 - All Because Of You
4 - Window In The Skies
5 - Walk On
5 - Electrical Storm
6 - The Unforgettable Fire
6 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
6 - When Love Comes To Town
6 - Miss Sarajevo
7 - One
7 - Please
9 - Angel Of Harlem
10 - New Year's Day
10 - Last Night On Earth
12 - Even Better Than The Real Thing
12 - If God Will Send His Angels
12 - Get On Your Boots
13 - Mysterious Ways
14 - Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
18 - Two Hearts Beat As One
32 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
35 - Fire
42 - Magnificent
47 - A Celebration
48 - In God's Country (IMPORT)
55 - Gloria
65 - Invisible
82 - Ordinary Love
92 - You're The Best Thing About Me
??? - A Day Without Me
??? - I Will Follow

Any other U2 single not on this list was not released in the UK. And the SOI singles were not eligible to chart as far as I understand.

From looking at this list, look at how low YTBTAM is!
I know the charts have changed over the years, but really - it is almost rock bottom! I don't even know if the SOI singles were eligible to chart, but other than this, TBT is U2's lowest ever charting song in the UK from the post-boy era!

PS - Does anyone know what numbers those "???" singles got to in the UK?
I know they didn't reach the top 100, but does anyone know where I can find out what exact number they peaked at?

To be fair that's what happens when you don't push a single in the UK, we have had no promo whatsoever over here

To be fair that's what happens when you don't push a single in the UK, we have had no promo whatsoever over here

Also, YTBTAM was released on a wednesday, and the UK charts are friday-friday. So 2 days of TBT's sales were not counted, which might have been the 2 days the song sold the most.

I wonder where GOOYOW will chart, but I fear it won't make the top 100 in today's crappy music charts climate.

It used to be fun, I used to be able to predict where U2 singles would chart in the uk. But nowadays, if nothing they release is even charting at all, the fun is all gone!

Also, YTBTAM was released on a wednesday, and the UK charts are friday-friday. So 2 days of TBT's sales were not counted, which might have been the 2 days the song sold the most.

I wonder where GOOYOW will chart, but I fear it won't make the top 100 in today's crappy music charts climate.

It used to be fun, I used to be able to predict where U2 singles would chart in the uk. But nowadays, if nothing they release is even charting at all, the fun is all gone!

To be fair I couldn't give a toss about UK charts anymore, just hope they promote the new single a little more!

Some good progress. Still - only two weeks left for it to grow before the next single - I wonder if the slow burn of TBT will help or hinder the next one?

Up another 45 spins today on Hot AC.

Also should be noted that in addition to the continued (although looks like slight slowing of momentum) gains on Hot AC, it also gained on Alternative, Triple A it fell 1 spin but still up week over week and most notably....it’s up on Active Rock by 10 spins week over week after stalling for the past 7 days.

Total spins hit a peak of 2,607 and 10.55 million impressions(give or take a little on both numbers as I’m away from the computer).

TBT has passed out SYCMIOYO for peak spins and now targets ABOY. It should be noted that it still trails both in impressions (it also trails Magnificent and Boots in tots impressions still).

If it crosses over into AC, which I’m shocked it hasn’t yet, then it will easily pass out all of those songs in both spins and impressions.

I don't get why radio play is a measure of success. Surely sales is? And in terms of sales, YTBTAM is a complete failure compared to all other U2 singles post-Boy.

Ninety-frigging-two in the UK charts.

Last edited:
I don't get why radio play is a measure of success. Surely sales is? And in terms of sales, YTBTAM is a complete failure compared to all other U2 singles post-Boy.

Ninety-frigging-two in the UK charts.

Because sales accounts for a tiny fraction of the way in which people listen to music these days?

Streaming and radio is pretty much it for pop music. Single sales are all but non-existent.

Because sales accounts for a tiny fraction of the way in which people listen to music these days?

Streaming and radio is pretty much it for pop music. Single sales are all but non-existent.

This. Also, the more radio play, the more people hear the song and that leads to more sales, more YouTube views more streaming, etc.... Its all linked.

9th October update - momentum regained:

Hot AC, adds another 52 spins to reach 1,192 spins total, and moves up another spot to number 23. It also adds another 0.331m impressions to reach a total of 6.336m AI.

Alternative, adds another 16 spins to reach a total of 882 spins and stays at number 22 on the list. It also adds another 0.132m impressions to reach 2.498m AI.

Triple A, adds another 9 spins to reach 569 spins total and stays at number 4 on the list. Adds a tiny bit of AI to reach 1.529m AI total.

Active Rock, holds steady, and no sign still on AC.

Total spins on those 4 formats look now to be 2,781 and with a good move up on impressions today, total AI on those 4 formats looks to be just north of 11m - not bad!

Also still comfortably 2nd on the list of most new station adds on Hot AC, which should filter through to more new spins.

9th October update - momentum regained:

Hot AC, adds another 52 spins to reach 1,192 spins total, and moves up another spot to number 23. It also adds another 0.331m impressions to reach a total of 6.336m AI.

Alternative, adds another 16 spins to reach a total of 882 spins and stays at number 22 on the list. It also adds another 0.132m impressions to reach 2.498m AI.

Triple A, adds another 9 spins to reach 569 spins total and stays at number 4 on the list. Adds a tiny bit of AI to reach 1.529m AI total.

Active Rock, holds steady, and no sign still on AC.

Total spins on those 4 formats look now to be 2,781 and with a good move up on impressions today, total AI on those 4 formats looks to be just north of 11m - not bad!

This is a relief. I was worried the plateau had almost arrived when i saw the decrease of a spin the other day on AAA.
But today looks great. Wish the band weren't touring out of the country. A TV appearance or two would have been cool. Here's to hoping the momentum continues. Another week or two of decent adds like this would put this into the 13-14 million impressions area surpassing all post Vertigo singles.

Even a commercial for the single would be something to give it a boost.

It has legs - seem to be a slow grower which is exactly where u2 has succeeded in the past with hits like beautiful day. If they can foster a top 20 with hot ac with continued growth and keep alternative and triple A more or less flat for 4 more weeks (likely peaked)... they have a chance to cross over to pop stations like BD did and the kygo mix has legs to shine there in that format ... seems like Spotify streaming is seeing a pickup in that mix. If u2 lands a top 40 pop hit and break 25m AI ... that would go down as a mammoth victory ... the chances of this were next to nill and I am starting to think they've got a well mapped strategy and can do it. In my opinion all songs pre released ... including blackout, little things, get out of your way ... sound like the making of a phenomenal album

Last edited:
Even a commercial for the single would be something to give it a boost.

Alternatively, using the song in a commercial might work.

I know, I know - U2 "sold out". Most think they have already, so why not do it for real? :lol: It's getting more challenging to get a song from a brand new artist or an older artist to break out. Apparently, you have to be named Justin or Taylor to get a hit.

Back
Top Bottom