Sorry to say it, Vertigo will be the most successful on the charts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
First let me state that I love the new album.

That said, I don't hear any other songs that will do well on the charts. Vertigo will be it. I think we're in for ATYCLB II as far as the charts are concerned - lead single is very big and successful, everything following barely charts at all.

I think HTDAAB is just too complex an album and doesn't have many radio-friendly singles.

Again, I personally love the album.

Zoocoustic said:
First let me state that I love the new album.

That said, I don't hear any other songs that will do well on the charts. Vertigo will be it. I think we're in for ATYCLB II as far as the charts are concerned - lead single is very big and successful, everything following barely charts at all.

I think HTDAAB is just too complex an album and doesn't have many radio-friendly singles.

Again, I personally love the album.

I think Miracle Drug will do very well on the charts, if they release it.

Didn't the other ATYCLB singles actually do rather well outside the US?

ABOY looks likely to be the next single. I thought Sometimes would be, but I think they want a more up tempo song. With the recent video shoot in NY, this help hype up the album and tour ala Where the Streets have no Name. ABOY is only a little over 3 mins long so should so well.
I think OOTS is a thing of beauty that would do well on adult contempory

I disagree. ABoY looks made for radio - at least the rock stations. And "Sometimes..." has the potential to cross over to Adult radio.

U2 couldn't crack the Top 20 with any ATYCLB songs. In fact, the last song to crack the Top 20 was "Discotheque" and that was mostly due to high sales (back then, CD singles sales helped a lot) caused by pent-up demand for new U2.

Therefore, I'm not anticipating any huge hits (sad to say), but I can foresee several more Top 50 hits at least, hopefully a few more Top 40.

Personally, I'd love to see CoBL as a single - but it would probably need some trimming for radio. Still, that "Oh...You...Look...So...Beautiful..." repeat really is a fantastic sing-a-long segment that would probably do great on the radio (and especially in concert).

joerags said:
U2 is not a radio-friendly band anymore. Not since Actung.

Interesting statement. Do you mean that the Radio is not friendly to U2, or U2 just don't make songs that suit the format the Radio wants?

The more I think of it, the more convinced I am that should release ABOY for the next single. Apart from the video clip that will look fantastic in NYC and generate more hype for the upcoming tour, I think a ballad for single number 2 is too soon unless they can release it prior to Christmas. If it is going to be early Feb as some reports suggest, ABOY would be a better choice. I think Sometimes will definitely be the 3rd single, then a choice of Man & Woman, OOTS or Miracle Drug

all the singles off ATYCLB went top 4 in the UK and were all huge beautiful day, stuck in a moment, elevation and walk on are still played on the radio today here in UK

In the US, I think if they release ABOY soon they have a chance to crack the top 20. No other possible singles wil break the top 30 from this album.

Beautiful Day and Stuck in a moment were both big hits in the US. You can't go by the Billboard Hot 100. It's just not an accurate measure of what's popular. America has so many different radio stations with different formats. So there are about 3 stations where I live that play Vertigo, and the other stations won't touch it. We have country, rap, hip hop, R&B, teen pop to deal with. But in America, if a song is on the radio a lot and you see the video a lot, then it's a hit. Which I would definitely say Vertigo is a hit.

These days, you can't release 4 or 5 singles from an album and let the album ride on their success. Your first single has to be a smash, and the album has to explode right away. ABOY as a second single will basically serve as a appetizer for the tour and maybe sell a few more copies of the album. SYCMIOYO as a 3rd single will break the album into the adult categories.

ABOY will do better on rock stations than Vertigo....Vertigo peaked at #3.....I think ABOY could definitely hit #1 on mainstream rock stations.....and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.....and A Man and A Woman could both get mega airplay on adult top 40 and adult contemporary stations (both of which played a huge factor in the success of ATYCLB).....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom