Songs of Experience - Let The Chart Speculation Begin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In cricket news :

NZ thrashed Pakistan

Afgan youth team surprised Pak youths

Aussie & English are in fierce battle

Media traffic has new figures for global album sales. U2 has dropped out of the Top 10, which is annoying. Esp. on this site since the rest of the Top 50 aren’t listed in chart order, they’re listed in alphabetical order and smushed together in paragraph format. U2 sold 32,000 for a total of 957,000. If I scanned this mess of data correctly they are at #12.

And man, the record business really has collapsed. You can be a Top 50 album in the world with sales of only 4000.

Media traffic has new figures for global album sales. U2 has dropped out of the Top 10, which is annoying. Esp. on this site since the rest of the Top 50 aren’t listed in chart order, they’re listed in alphabetical order and smushed together in paragraph format. U2 sold 32,000 for a total of 957,000. If I scanned this mess of data correctly they are at #12.

And man, the record business really has collapsed. You can be a Top 50 album in the world with sales of only 4000.

Where did you see those numbers in the MediaTraffic web?
I can’t find it.

Where did you see those numbers in the MediaTraffic web?
I can’t find it.

They're on the homepage. They're hard to notice because, like I said, it's all smushed together into a paragraph. At the top of the page it discusses the Top 10 albums. Then, beneath the video, it gives the information for the next 40. And then it says a few things about some of the other charts.

They're on the homepage. They're hard to notice because, like I said, it's all smushed together into a paragraph. At the top of the page it discusses the Top 10 albums. Then, beneath the video, it gives the information for the next 40. And then it says a few things about some of the other charts.

Now I see it! Thanks!

Billboard 200 shows SOE down to 150 from 92 last week....they need to release Red Flag Day and perform it at the Grammys. Unfortunately, I think Kendrick Lamar performing Get Out of Your Own Way with them is more likely :angry:

In the Netherlands the album drops real fast. On 32 from 17.... Very un-u2-ish here. Usually their album hangs around the top 20 for at least half a year ....

The album is at #15 in Spain. I think that’s pretty good for the 6th week.

The thing about mediatraffic is that I think they have a new formula which counts digital tracks and streaming with album sales. So a 1 million sales figure for an album is not 1 million albums sold, but some combination of album sales, digital track sales, and streaming.

The thing about mediatraffic is that I think they have a new formula which counts digital tracks and streaming with album sales. So a 1 million sales figure for an album is not 1 million albums sold, but some combination of album sales, digital track sales, and streaming.

Well, in U2’s case that is still a million albums sold!!

Also notice that for this week, Songs Of Experience has dropped to #188 on the Billboard 200 in its 7th week on chart. This is the Billboard 200 that now counts streaming and individual track sales in addition to album sales.

But, if they were still using the old formula to determine the Billboard 200 like they were 3 years ago, just album sales, on that chart Songs Of Experience is at #39.

U2|SONGS OF EXPERIENCE ( 39) 3549

It is kind of disturbing though that you can now make the top 40 of the album sales only chart with just 3,000 copies sold.

Are you saying that because U2 does not do a lot of streaming or digital track sales, so the total must be all pure album sales or nearly that?

Yes. U2 gets very minimal boost from non-sales and the vast majority of that figure is likely sales. If the average artist gets 50% of their “total” from real sales, I would bet that U2 gets about 90% from sales. I think their opening week in the US was 186k “total” and 180k was actual sales.

But, if they were still using the old formula to determine the Billboard 200 like they were 3 years ago, just album sales, on that chart Songs Of Experience is at #39.

U2|SONGS OF EXPERIENCE ( 39) 3549

It is kind of disturbing though that you can now make the top 40 of the album sales only chart with just 3,000 copies sold.

In the context of the current market environment when it comes to sales, they are actually selling fairly well (still in the top 40 after almost 2 months) and while they may fall out of the top 40 on next weeks chart, they will no doubt be back in the top 30 or possibly 20 the following week due to the Grammy performance.

Lastly, it’s not kind of disturbing that those sales get you too 40....it’s downright sad. It’s like music has no value anymore.

Did the album have a Grammy effect on the billboard chart ?

Yes it did.

In the week prior to the Grammy awards, this is how the album did:

U2|SONGS OF EXPERIENCE ( 57) 2894

The Grammy's were Sunday night so it only impacted 4 days of the following sales week. New sales weeks start each Friday. Here are the results:

U2|SONGS OF EXPERIENCE ( 51) 3584

So it moved up 6 spots and sold 690 more copies than it did the week before. That's nearly a 25% increase in sales.

I honestly thought it would bump up a lot more then that. What's the chart placing with streaming included?

I honestly thought it would bump up a lot more then that. What's the chart placing with streaming included?

The Billboard 200 which includes streaming and individual digital track sales from the album has not been updated yet. But as of last week, although the album ranked at #57 in sales and 3 years ago would have been at #57 based on the old rules which were album sales only, it did NOT make the Billboard 200. Its so odd and wrong in my opinion that the album can be in the top 50, but not even make the Billboard 200.

Not sure if this will be enough for it to re-chart on the Billboard 200.

Back
Top Bottom