Songs of Experience - Let The Chart Speculation Begin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 are doing more streams then Taylor swift. Taylor swift releasing her record on streaming service was the only threat according to hits. So if u2 are doing more streams then Taylor swift isn't a threat this week because u2 will easily sell more physical copies then her. It was the streaming sales that threw it into doubt

I was only ever going to stream this. Ended up buying a physical copy of the deluxe edition (arrived today!) as it is just too damn good not to own.
I can't be the only one moved to purchase because of pure quality.

Billboard: "U2's 'Songs of Experience' Heading for No. 1 on Billboard 200 Albums Chart"
https://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/8061704/u2s-songs-of-experience-heading-for-no-1-on-billboard-200-albums-chart

Very encouraging report from Billboard. Fingers crossed for Sunday!

I am so happy !!! It would be a sin if U2 could not reach no. 1 with SOE..... such a fantastic album. I think U2 has made some kind of record by having at least one no.1 album in 4 different decade.

I am so happy !!! It would be a sin if U2 could not reach no. 1 with SOE..... such a fantastic album. I think U2 has made some kind of record by having at least one no.1 album in 4 different decade.

Fingers crossed they get to number 1 in the uk. Hopefully the 8k lead in the mid week charts will see them through

Say goodbye to uk number 1, be lucky to get top 5 :-(

Wednesday Update

Albums

1 Sam Smith - The Thrill Of It All [39.6k]
2 Ed Sheeran - ÷ [37.1k]
3 U2 - Songs Of Experience [34.4k] *
4 Michael Ball & Alfie Boe - Together Again [29.4k]
5 P!nk - Beautiful Trauma [27.9k]

Noticed bono and edge were in Germany today. They need to get to the uk before this album falls flat on its face. Sales are terrible. Will drop out the top ten more then likely next week. Won't even make 100k here :-(

Last edited:

Wednesday Update

Albums

2 Ed Sheeran - ÷ [37.1k]

Noticed bono and edge were in Germany today. They need to get to the uk before this album falls flat on its face. Sales are terrible. Will drop out the top ten more then likely next week. Won't even make 100k here :-(

Ouch that's honestly not the update I expected today :(

Wednesday Update

Albums

2 Ed Sheeran - ÷ [37.1k]

Where is that update from btw? Doesn't seem to be on the official chart website?

They always reliable? Honestly can't believe the band are relying on tv ads and a couple of radio interviews with Adam as promotion for this album, I don't count the BBC thing because that's well after the release date, more promotion here and it would have been a number one imo, shame

We should all want U2 to get #1 for the album release.

Why? Aside from it being our favorite band, the band will see it as 'relevance' and maybe the next album they won't have so much pressure to see if they still got it. To be 40 years in, same lineup, selling out arenas and stadiums, and have a #1 album. I can't imagine anyone else would ever accomplish that.

So the next album they decide to not chase the hits so hard (they'll always want a chart topper, that's in their DNA), and we get the album interference has always wanted ;) *kidding*

They always reliable? Honestly can't believe the band are relying on tv ads and a couple of radio interviews with Adam as promotion for this album, I don't count the BBC thing because that's well after the release date, more promotion here and it would have been a number one imo, shame

relax dude. if you like the album, cool. be happy.

it's not shocking that U2 are missing out on no. 1 there. they needed the ticket gimmick in the US to likely get it. if anything, I'm surprised they didn't ensure the European dates were ready to go for last week to jump ahead elsewhere.

relax dude. if you like the album, cool. be happy.

it's not shocking that U2 are missing out on no. 1 there. they needed the ticket gimmick in the US to likely get it. if anything, I'm surprised they didn't ensure the European dates were ready to go for last week to jump ahead elsewhere.

Keep in mind this is the charts and sales forum - so we all will express joy or frustration at the charts. :hyper:

I'm still getting to know the album myself so I have no idea if this is worth a #1 debut everywhere or not.

Wednesday Update

Albums

2 Ed Sheeran - ÷ [37.1k]

Shockingly bad sales here in the UK. Not sure what happened, but at the end of 2006 when 19 singles came out they were still massive riding ont he successes of ATYCLB and HTDAAB. When NLOTH came out in 2009, despite 3 weeks at the top spot they seemed to have become the band everyone wanted to hate :S Not sure if the so-called 'tax-dodging' move etc did them any favours, the media were all over that. Its hardly a surprised they cant be inclined to come here for promotion.

Even so, I was expecting a guarenteed No 1 album even at this competitive time of year! Cant believe they only seem to be on for half the sales of Liam Gallagher and about 75% the sales of Noel. U2 were levelling pegging with Oasis (have always been huge here) between 2000 and 2005 in terms of album sales, single chart positions and radio play, but somehow they have sunk this far behind. I would have thought they would have done 50k just based on the die-hard fans alone. :sad:

Shockingly bad sales here in the UK.

If these numbers hold, I would agree.

Not only is it a new album but one where they have pushed some promo (EMAs) and more significant is it is the holiday season, which sees an uptick in sales.

We also don’t know how many sales U2.com might have taken and if it’s been reported.

If these numbers hold, I would agree.

Not only is it a new album but one where they have pushed some promo (EMAs) and more significant is it is the holiday season, which sees an uptick in sales.

We also don’t know how many sales U2.com might have taken and if it’s been reported.

I honestly don't believe they have promoted enough here in the UK, the emas aside they needed to be over here doing surprise concerts and talk shows imo

Hard to find

I was only ever going to stream this. Ended up buying a physical copy of the deluxe edition (arrived today!) as it is just too damn good not to own.
I can't be the only one moved to purchase because of pure quality.

I did the same thing, but had to hit multiple stores to find the Disc. Finally got lucky at Best Buy and like AB, I just keep listening to the album non-stop.

Wow this is a blast from the past. I used to be active on this forum with an old account, about 10-15 years ago, particularly during the HTDAAB days, and NLOTH too, mainly on this forum. I fell away from it and closed my account, but with this new album out I am hooked to the chart chat again. I remember the legendary names STING2, doctorwho, beLIEve and soldatti among others. Good to see that some of these are still posting here. The forum doesn't look very active these days.

Anyway, that's enough of that. Great news that U2 are looking likely to achieve their 8th US number 1 album. This is a big achievement (should it happen) for a band in their late 50s, so it's important to remember this in the wake of the UK chart disaster.

How come U2 seem to be struggling for popularity in the UK these days? If I was told U2 would only hit number one in one of the UK or US, I would have put my money on the UK a couple of weeks ago. Other than Achtung Baby (which was beaten by Michael Jackson), U2 have hit number 1 with every studio album since War (no point in counting SOI as it was given away for free). The fact it looks like they could finish up at 4 or 5, with no new entries beating it, makes it quite an awful performance. Disappointing.

Yes the UK situation is sad. It appears all the “U2 is uncool” and “tax dodger” malarkey is actually having an effect. I see those comments online and notice a lot of them seem to come from Brits. Sucks for British U2 fans but if I were the band I’d be in no hurry to visit the U.K. Not when the album is No. 1 in the world so there are lots of places that would give them a much warmer welcome.

U2 should have been #1 in the UK just based on hardcore fans alone with no promotion. Those stiff brits wouldn't know a good tune if they had one dropped in their lap....

Except for the ones here of course :)

Yes the UK situation is sad. It appears all the “U2 is uncool” and “tax dodger” malarkey is actually having an effect. I see those comments online and notice a lot of them seem to come from Brits. Sucks for British U2 fans but if I were the band I’d be in no hurry to visit the U.K. Not when the album is No. 1 in the world so there are lots of places that would give them a much warmer welcome.

The thing is, the band get a brilliant reception when they play shows here, always sold out etc

U2 should have been #1 in the UK just based on hardcore fans alone with no promotion. Those stiff brits wouldn't know a good tune if they had one dropped in their lap....

Except for the ones here of course :)

I was just gonna defend us brits until you dropped the

"Except the ones here of course" :)

I honestly don't believe they have promoted enough here in the UK, the emas aside they needed to be over here doing surprise concerts and talk shows imo

I know what you mean but they did do Trafalgar Square a few weeks back and the BBC special is coming up. There are other countries in Europe where they are way more popular (or at least not as hated), such as France and Italy and as far I'm aware they haven't done any promotion.

I think it's a combination of factors here, the fact that Bono really isn't liked at all and that the "singles" just haven't connected with many non U2 fans.

Back
Top Bottom