Songs of Experience - Let The Chart Speculation Begin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Number 6 best selling album worldwide in 2017, not too shabby for aging rockers! And that's pretty much without any help from streaming.

Streaming is music's biggest money-maker - BBC News

My two takeaways:

1) Broken record here, but album sales are quite bad now.
2) U2 is still very popular worldwide. North America, UK, and Ireland can't account for more than 50% of that figure.

I'm shocked that they sold as much as Kendrick, and with only a month of sales.

I had to double check this because I was surprised too, but based on the certifications listed on wikipedia 1 million of Kendrick's sales were in the US alone and the other country certifications probably add up to something like 300K.

Certifications may not tell the whole story; SOE certifications on wikipedia only add up to a little more than 300K.

I'm also not sure this list includes streaming; there's not footnote indicating some kind of equivalent unit conversion formula.

I had to double check this because I was surprised too, but based on the certifications listed on wikipedia 1 million of Kendrick's sales were in the US alone and the other country certifications probably add up to something like 300K.

Certifications may not tell the whole story; SOE certifications on wikipedia only add up to a little more than 300K.

I'm also not sure this list includes streaming; there's not footnote indicating some kind of equivalent unit conversion formula.

I’m really wondering about that too, because according to MediaTraffic U2 have sold a little less than that while Lamar has sold a lot more. Since the article is about streaming it would be weird for these figures to not including it though. I guess it depends on what sources they’re using.

My two takeaways:

1) Broken record here, but album sales are quite bad now.

2) U2 is still very popular worldwide. North America, UK, and Ireland can't account for more than 50% of that figure.

North America, UK, and Ireland account for considerably less than 50%. US sales are about 300K. The album has gone gold in Canada, which is 40K, and in the UK, which is 100K. Don’t know about Ireland but it can’t be much. Say another 10K. That’s 450K. Canada and the UK have probably gone a bit beyond the gold figure, but it can’t be that much.

The world loves them some U2.

6th top selling album for a record that came out in December and for a band that's 40 years in is an incredible achievement .

I think mediatraffic has it around 1.2 so those figures aren't far away.

So this number is impressive and without a hit single! Imagine if Love is Bigger, LT or SOL actually become hits....the album could really make some noise.

6th top selling album for a record that came out in December and for a band that's 40 years in is an incredible achievement .

I think mediatraffic has it around 1.2 so those figures aren't far away.

yes but Mediatraffic nearly 1.2 m by end April - whereas this to end Dec 17 so probably another 150-200k to add to the BBC figure

So am I crazy? How can the album not be in the top 100, let alone top 200 of the album charts right now? I can't see how they aren't getting 7 or 800 albums a week with tickets still on sale and it being hooked to the album... OR maybe i'm crazy

So am I crazy? How can the album not be in the top 100, let alone top 200 of the album charts right now? I can't see how they aren't getting 7 or 800 albums a week with tickets still on sale and it being hooked to the album... OR maybe i'm crazy
The album / ticket combo only counts if the album is redeemed.

The album / ticket combo only counts if the album is redeemed.

Yeah, i was trying to take that into effect. I mean, they have about 20 shows with tickets left, they seem to have picked up steam the last couple weeks, as they are not near as empty as they were a month or so ago.
So conservatively, its gotta be at least a couple hundred of tickets a week per show = 4000 or so tickets. They say usually an average of 25-35% redeem...

Also, seeing that they are selling about 8 or 9 thousand per week worldwide, I find it hard to believe that they aren't selling at least close to 1000 per week in the US... Just weird.

Yeah, i was trying to take that into effect. I mean, they have about 20 shows with tickets left, they seem to have picked up steam the last couple weeks, as they are not near as empty as they were a month or so ago.

So conservatively, its gotta be at least a couple hundred of tickets a week per show = 4000 or so tickets. They say usually an average of 25-35% redeem...

Also, seeing that they are selling about 8 or 9 thousand per week worldwide, I find it hard to believe that they aren't selling at least close to 1000 per week in the US... Just weird.

According to info posted on a different forum, they are selling over a thousand a week in the U.S. But that isn’t enough to get them on the Billboard 200. I guess because of streaming. In term of plain album sales, they were at #124 last week.

Looks like love is bigger has a good start or triple A/hac/ac ... three formats

Looks like love is bigger has a good start or triple A/hac/ac ... three formats

Hit 44 on the AC chart the other day and that is a higher position than TBT or GOOYOW on that radio chart.

It’s moving on Triple A and Hot AC as you mentioned as well, which is nice to see because this song is really good!

Well, that's cool and all.

But it looks like 2x platinum in Italy is 1/10 what single platinum sales would equate in the U.S.

So, well, congrats again . .. . i guess.

Well, that's cool and all.

But it looks like 2x platinum in Italy is 1/10 what single platinum sales would equate in the U.S.

So, well, congrats again . .. . i guess.

that's how the system works. They also have 1/10th the population. So the percentage of people that bought the album is equivalent to if it sold 2 million in the states which would have been phenomenal.

That said, any updated numbers on US sales? Gold?

After announcement of U2's Mumbai gig Joshua Tree album went upto no. 3 on the Indian I-tunes album chart. That’s phenomenal!!

Back
Top Bottom