Songs of Experience - Let The Chart Speculation Begin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks prbiker!

I think its safe to say that U2 should have released the album last Friday. They would have easily breezed to the number 1 spot. Now, I'm guessing they will have to settle for number 2. Glad it will be behind a guy that is incredibly talented and respected. But still...

hmmmmm...

just read this on HitsDailyDouble:

Taylor Swift’s Reputation will log one more week at #1, its third. Swift will likely be overtaken by U2 next week, as the band’s latest, Songs of Experience, is expected to debut on top.

Absolutely no mention of Chris Stapleton!?!? very odd... Hope they're right!

hmmmmm...

Taylor Swift’s Reputation will log one more week at #1, its third. Swift will likely be overtaken by U2 next week, as the band’s latest, Songs of Experience, is expected to debut on top.

Well they must know how many bogus album sales they got from ticket sales already.

Yes, Headache......my fellow fan. I am that type of crazy supporter. Besides, all other artists are doing it. Why not U2 ?! And..... album tie-in with ticket seems a valid approach. Those who buy U2 tickets will surely buy the CD. Won't they ?

hmmmmm...

from what I can see, Stapleton does not have a well-performing single in the charts / on radio, although is #97 on BB Hot 100. For a relatively new artist like him this will not particualry help his sales. For a well-established artist like U2 chart positions and radio play dont matter so much at least in terms of album sales. Finger crossed anyway!!

Yes, Headache......my fellow fan. I am that type of crazy supporter. Besides, all other artists are doing it. Why not U2 ?! And..... album tie-in with ticket seems a valid approach. Those who buy U2 tickets will surely buy the CD. Won't they ?

It stands to reason that if someone is going to see an artist live (especially a big one like U2) then they would buy the (latest) album first or afterwards, turning a high percentage of ticket sales into album sales. If streaming singles now equate to album sales (in my opinion they shouldnt!) then one ticket sale should certainly equal one album sale.

The 360 tour told nearly 8m tickets, yet the corresponding album NLOTH only sold 5m copies.... this doesnt make any sense. The only reason this can happen is because of illegal downloads and file sharing etc. Can you imagine a tour in the 1980's selling 8m tickets, the sales of the album being supported would have been MASSIVE.

Even if they got their through a bogus methodology?

Sales are typically broken out by album sales/extra BS (streaming and clicks and handclaps or whatever). Typically they then make note of how many albums came from the bundle vs traditional means.

Therefore, we will be able to tell if they would still be #1 without the bundle.

While I do think the bundle is....different...I don’t think it’s bogus(maybe half bogus). The real bogus shit is the extra streaming and clicks that they count. An album sale is an album sale, I get the business has changed but watching a YouTube video has 0 to do with an album sale.

When's the hits prediction out?tomorrow? Normally isn't far away is it from the actual total sales

I feel like TSwift releasing on streaming tomorrow means they won't hit #1, unless as others have mentioned the ticket sales did the trick. But I don't know how any of this really works so ??

Sales are typically broken out by album sales/extra BS (streaming and clicks and handclaps or whatever). Typically they then make note of how many albums came from the bundle vs traditional means.

Therefore, we will be able to tell if they would still be #1 without the bundle.

While I do think the bundle is....different...I don’t think it’s bogus(maybe half bogus). The real bogus shit is the extra streaming and clicks that they count. An album sale is an album sale, I get the business has changed but watching a YouTube video has 0 to do with an album sale.
Including an album with ticket sales is fairly bogus

I feel like TSwift releasing on streaming tomorrow means they won't hit #1, unless as others have mentioned the ticket sales did the trick. But I don't know how any of this really works so ??

If that's the case, I think Swift gets the #1. She's one of the top five pop artists working today and her album is suddenly going to be accessible to tpeople who only stream. I expect even non-fans will check it out of curiosity. so that's just the nature of things. I'd focus more on what equivalent unit number the boys hit. I'm better on something from 100K-200K

The "Swift slays U2!" headlines a week from now will be insufferable though.

Last edited:

10 single sales from an album equal 1 album sale on the chart and 1,500 song streams from an album equate to 1 album sale on Billboard.

Most of her fans pre-ordered her album already for the ticket presale opportunities so I don't know how much the addition of it to streaming services will impact things. There doesn't seem to be a monster hit single (not one song is in the iTunes top 10currently) on it either that would shoot things up.

We'll see soon...

I‘m not too worried about streaming numbers (never has been U2’s strongest market). Swift will definitely dominate Spotify.

Last edited:
Speaking of domination, the iTunes Charts are looking pretty good right about now. It’ll probably last about 24 hours, but it’s good to see them #1 somewhere!

target is only selling the deluxe edition for 18 bucks!!! Jesus. Stores should mostly carry the normal version at a sale price for the first week to get the casual buyer who will fork over 7 or 8 bucks.

Twitter user just said that SOE has about 16 million streams so far, equaling a little over 10,000 albums. Thats in less than 24 hours. Interesting if that's true... Seems pretty high

Just a heads up. SOE Deluxe Edition is number 2 in the US on itunes,

BUT, the regular version is also number 11! I'm guessing both combined might put it at number one. Can't wait to see what HitsDailyDouble has to say next week!!!

target is only selling the deluxe edition for 18 bucks!!! Jesus. Stores should mostly carry the normal version at a sale price for the first week to get the casual buyer who will fork over 7 or 8 bucks.

Twitter user just said that SOE has about 16 million streams so far, equaling a little over 10,000 albums. Thats in less than 24 hours. Interesting if that's true... Seems pretty high

Where?in USA?

Just a heads up. SOE Deluxe Edition is number 2 in the US on itunes,

BUT, the regular version is also number 11! I'm guessing both combined might put it at number one. Can't wait to see what HitsDailyDouble has to say next week!!!

Same here in the uk. Was number one all day but has been knocked off by now that's what I call xmas :)

What time does hits projected sales come out? It is today isn't it?

Same here in the uk. Was number one all day but has been knocked off by now that's what I call xmas :)

At least a compilation album doesnt count in the album charts in the UK. A bit disapointing that they are knocked off #1 in the first day. However, UK radio seems to be all over xmas songs the last couple of days and they are already int he top 40 singles chart (way too early for xmas songs on the radio just yet in my opinion!) so maybe its hardly a surpirse a compilation xmas album is #1 on iTunes.

What is iTunes #1 in the US then? Stapleton seems to be nowhere in sight at least and Taylor was at #3 last time I checked.

Can't imagine now that's what I call xmas staying there, but this is where the band need to be pushing hard, I hope we get more promo over here other than just the BBC

Fun to watch which songs from the album are most popular on iTunes today. Here’s their current order:

1- Best Thing
2- Get Out
3- Little Things
4- Red Flag Day
5- Summer of Love
6- Love is Bigger
7- 13
8 - Lights of Home
9 - American Soul
10- Ordinary Love (extraordinary mix)
11 - Blackout
12 - Lights of Home (strings)
13 - Love is all we have left
14 - Book of Your Heart
15 - Landlady

I do not see the Showman in the Top 200 rock songs.

Can't imagine now that's what I call xmas staying there, but this is where the band need to be pushing hard, I hope we get more promo over here other than just the BBC

4 out of the top 5 and 5 out the top 10 are compilation albums :)

Still holding-up well on ITunes (same positions as yesterday).
A little disapointed its not at the top spot in US or UK, but the normal version of the album is also in the top 10 everywhere so would be interesting to know what position they would be if these versions were combined.

In terms of the points system on Kworb, it doesnt look like all the duplicate positions they have got for the normal version are counting towards their points tally as SoE is only listed once on their iTunes album chart, can anyone confirm?

Back
Top Bottom