Song For Someone - Radio Play

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another great day for the song. Up two spots on the Hot AC chart to a new peak of #26! SFS adds 37 spins since just yesterday. It's also one of the fastest risers on the chart.

I've heard SFS on the radio more than I've heard any other singles since 2006 combined.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Huh, didn't know this was getting decent airplay.

Random question but is this in the Beats 1 rotation?

I'm happy to see it, but it is surprising that this mediocre song is doing so well in the charts.

While I really like the song, I can understand why many would find it to be a mediocre U2 song but from the mainstream perspective.....it fits in perfectly and even stands out.

I read a lot of comments in this forum when the album came out that this song was generic pop and sounded like he typical bland song one hears on the radio....well, now ITS on the radio ;)

Another good day for SFS, it gains 41 spins to rise to 903 spins on HAC staying at No. 26 (a high), and also rises to 4.980m audience impressions (a high). Also gained again slightly on AAA & AC. And I+e tickets for Belfast were secured!!!

Another good day for SFS, it gains 41 spins to rise to 903 spins on HAC staying at No. 26 (a high), and also rises to 4.980m audience impressions (a high). Also gained again slightly on AAA & AC. And I+e tickets for Belfast were secured!!!

Just saw that! You're right another good day. And another good sign? Of the 25 songs ahead of SFS, only three are rising faster, Wildest Dreams by Taylor Swift, Wasn't Expecting That by Jamie Lawson and Locked Away by R. City.

Another good day of gains for SFS on HAC, adding another 29 spins to take it to a high of 932 spins and a high of 5.171m audience impressions. Still at number 26 on HAC. Flat on AAA, but it gained another 5 spins on AC.

Another good day of gains for SFS on HAC, adding another 29 spins to take it to a high of 932 spins and a high of 5.171m audience impressions. Still at number 26 on HAC. Flat on AAA, but it gained another 5 spins on AC.

I'll check when I get home but I believe that SFS is quickly approaching the most audience impressions on a given day for any of the 3 SOI singles. What's most impressive is that it's doing it from only 1 format whereas EBW was on 5 formats at one point (alt, mainstream rock,rock,AAA,AC and Hot AC)

I'll check when I get home but I believe that SFS is quickly approaching the most audience impressions on a given day for any of the 3 SOI singles. What's most impressive is that it's doing it from only 1 format whereas EBW was on 5 formats at one point (alt, mainstream rock,rock,AAA,AC and Hot AC)

Cosmo, I think from memory that EBW had just over 9m AI at one stage, but as you say over maybe 5 formats. Still pretty impressive performance from SFS though on basically one format.

Yes EBW hit 10m impressions but had less spins ... It did break top 200 on overall impressions but believed it peaked at 1200 spins across all formats.

SFS is over 6m impressions and 1300 total spins ... Mostly off hot ac, a bit on ac and aaa. That would make it more often played than EBW. Anyone know what beautiful day or vertigo peaked at? I imagine both were in >50m impressions territory and 20k spins?

Never know - it could cross to pop and become a top 100 hit.

Yes EBW hit 10m impressions but had less spins ... It did break top 200 on overall impressions but believed it peaked at 1200 spins across all formats.

SFS is over 6m impressions and 1300 total spins ... Mostly off hot ac, a bit on ac and aaa. That would make it more often played than EBW. Anyone know what beautiful day or vertigo peaked at? I imagine both were in >50m impressions territory and 20k spins?

Also made #1 on world adult singles
http://top40-charts.com/chart.php?cid=29

So here is what I tracked for the SOI singles:

The Miracle:
Spins: 1,321 (peak on 11/10/14)
Impressions: 6.1 million (peak on 11/13/14)

EBW:
Spins: 1,568 (peak on 1/21/15)
Impressions: 8.29 million (peak on 2/11/15)

Invisible:
Spins: 1,631 (peak on 2/9/14)
Impressions: 10.4 million (peak on 2/9/14)

If SFS is at 6 million impressions, that is impressive in the context of SOI, given it is the 3rd single and it is outperforming the lead single at this point.

It's up another 41 spins today to reach 981 spins and moves up a bit in audience impressions too. It has a shot at moving up to number 25 tomorrow with the artists above us falling at present.

It's up another 41 spins today to reach 981 spins and moves up a bit in audience impressions too. It has a shot at moving up to number 25 tomorrow with the artists above us falling at present.

Amazing! Thanks for the update! If it can crack the top 20 that would really be something.

So here is what I tracked for the SOI singles:

The Miracle:
Spins: 1,321 (peak on 11/10/14)
Impressions: 6.1 million (peak on 11/13/14)

EBW:
Spins: 1,568 (peak on 1/21/15)
Impressions: 8.29 million (peak on 2/11/15)

Invisible:
Spins: 1,631 (peak on 2/9/14)
Impressions: 10.4 million (peak on 2/9/14)

If SFS is at 6 million impressions, that is impressive in the context of SOI, given it is the 3rd single and it is outperforming the lead single at this point.

Hi Cosmo, thanks for the recap. Do you have any info on how Ordinary Love performed radio wise? I cant remember whether it featured much? It is doing pretty well on youtube though for a relatively young U2 song.

Cheers.

Hi Cosmo, thanks for the recap. Do you have any info on how Ordinary Love performed radio wise? I cant remember whether it featured much? It is doing pretty well on youtube though for a relatively young U2 song.

Cheers.

I never tracked it because I was big on the song and I was mad that they released a soundtrack song and we still didn't have an album :)

With that said, I can go back and look but if memory serves me right, it peaked in the 30s on Hot AC but stuck around for a long time. Not sure about AAA(you would think it must have made an impact).

To your point, the real "win" for OL was on YouTube. The video to date has an astounding 29+ million views. That is significantly more than Invisible(9m),The Miracle(3.5m), EBW(5m) and SFS(2m) combined! It's actually one of their most popular vids no doubt boosted by the awards shows.

Last edited:
SFS continues to gain traction today. On HAC it adds 50 spins today to take it up to a high of number 25 with a total of 1031 spins and 5.647m AI.

It continues a bit of a recovery on AC as it again adds 5 spins to 61 in total and up to number 34 (its peak on AC), with 0.302M AI.

Continues to flat line on AAA but at least has stopped falling.

Momentum continues for SFS on US radio.

On HAC today it adds another 22 spins to rise to 1053 spins total and moves up to 5.719m AI. It stays at number 25, but it could move up to number 24 in a couple of days if Imagine Dragons above it continues its hefty falls.

On AC today it continues its recent recovery and it actually rises four spots to a high of No.30 where it added 30 spins to take it to 91 spins in total and moves up to 0.371m AI. It was the biggest spin gainer outside the top ten.

On AAA it continues to flat line.

Momentum continues for SFS on US radio.

On HAC today it adds another 22 spins to rise to 1053 spins total and moves up to 5.719m AI. It stays at number 25, but it could move up to number 24 in a couple of days if Imagine Dragons above it continues its hefty falls.

On AC today it continues its recent recovery and it actually rises four spots to a high of No.30 where it added 30 spins to take it to 91 spins in total and moves up to 0.371m AI. It was the biggest spin gainer outside the top ten.

On AAA it continues to flat line.

So all of this talk about SFS finally peaked my interest and I started looking at the charts again.

The Hot AC performance is impressive but more so because it is consistently gaining spins. Success on this format usually leads to success on AC and if it is big enough on Hot AC it can cross over into the coveted Top 40!

I'm pulling for it!!!!!

Update for today 16th Sept for SFS:

It continues to gain on HAC, adding another 30 spins to take it to 1,083 spins total and 5.799m AI. It stays at number 25 but should move up to number 24 tomorrow as Imagine Dragons just above us are falling like a stone.

On AC it continues its push upwards, adding another 33 spins to take it to 124 spins total and moves up 2 spots to No.28, both of which are highs for SFS on AC. It also rises to a high of 0.484m AI.

It has fallen a bit on AAA by 6 spins to 138 spins total.

I had taken a look at its peak spins as of yesterday which stood at 1,515 spins. So if we add today's movements we move up another 60 spins to a new peak of 1,575 spins. This compares favourably with the other SOI/recent singles, with the Miracle peaking at 1,336 spins, EBW peaking at 1,805 spins and Invisible peaking at 1,814 spins. Which as Cosmo has already said is impressive for a 3rd single from an album. I reckon that SFS currently has a peak AI of about 6.899m, which compares with Miracle 6.29m, EBW 11.21m and Invisible 10.36m. As Cosmo has also said SFS hasn't featured on the Alternative chart/list which contributed about a third of the peak spins for both EBW and Invisible.

And hopefully SFS stills has some legs yet!

I'll post the peaks spins and AI info for SFS, EBW, Miracle and Invisible shortly if I can fit it in a post (which I sourced from the kworb site).

TOTAL
Rank Artist & Title Spins Aud
1990 U2 The Miracle 1336 6.29
1916 U2 Song for Someone 1515 6.7
1491 U2 Invisible 1814 10.36
1405 U2 Every Breaking Wave 1805 11.21

Last edited:
Peaks on HAC
Rank Artist & Title Pos Spins Aud Bullet

1990 U2 The Miracle 999 0 0 0
1916 U2 Song for Someone 25 1053 5.72 231
1491 U2 Invisible 999 0 0 0
1405 U2 Every Breaking Wave 33 477 2.52 125

Not doing anymore, formatting doesn't work so well on the posts!

The link though is here: http://kworb.net/radio/totals.html
and just sort by the artist and title column.

The spin and audience numbers for Every Breaking Wave and The Miracle are slightly misleading since those were spread across multiple formats, including AAA, which is not a very important chart. As far as a popular mainstream chart like Hot AC, Song For Someone is well on it's way to being their biggest success since the singles from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

Update on 17th Sept.

SFS adds another 22 spins on HAC to take it to 1105 spins total, and moves up one spot to a high of number 24.

SFS adds another 27 spins on AC to take it to 151 spins total, and stays at number 28.

Starts falling again on AAA.

Hi Cosmo, I should also say that the peak spins I was quoting from kworb are the total of the peaks of each individual format, where the peaks may have occurred at different times. A prime example is that of SFS where the peak for AAA occurred a couple of weeks before it started moving on HAC. This would explain the difference between those figures and yours presumably.

Back
Top Bottom