Song For Someone - Radio Play

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just heard this song on SiriusXM's The Pulse, the first song from this album that I have heard on this station! SiriusXM is also airing a U2 town hall this Friday night on The Spectrum.

I have heard it several times on FM radio, guess that would be a Pop station. Haven't heard it on XM yet, or anything from SOI for that matter.

The Sirius/XM hour long special with U2 is good. It will be rebroadcast numerous times over the next week. Tune in if you can:

The Spectrum

Friday, 8/7 @ 9 p.m. ET
Saturday, 8/8 @ 11 a.m., 3 p.m., 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. ET
Sunday, 8/9 @ 9 a.m., 4 p.m. and 7 p.m ET
Monday, 8/10 @ 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. ET
Tuesday, 8/11 at @ 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. ET
Wednesday, 8/12 at @ 6 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET

1st Wave

Sunday, 8/9 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. ET
Monday, 8/10 9 a.m. ET
Tuesday, 8/11 9 p.m. ET
Wednesday, 8/12 Noon ET

SFS has some staying power, likely because of the tour and major market radios picking up the tune as U2 rolls in/out of town. Methinks it will fade now that this NA leg of the tour is over. As of today, SFS is up from 18 to 16 on AAA with an increase of 31 spins. Been up and down on this chart. On AC, it rises from 52 to 34 over past 7 days with an increase of 27 spins. On Hot AC, it slips from 34 to 35 but still with an increase of 72 spins.

Bono's accident and the subsequent loss of the initial, week long residence on Jimmy Fallon seemed to mark the end of promotion for SOI. No big hit singles, but they are still being played on the radio with very personal songs...and they are in their mid 50's.

I'm guessing the SOI/SOE/SOA trilogy will be it for them, and it will roll out over the next several years. Their ACTIONS suggest promotion for singles is over and has been for a while. They get released to radio and some get a video of sorts, but HTDAAB was the last album that U2 really had any singles promotion.

Their place in History as one of the best bands ever, and perhaps the best live band of all time, has been assured for over a decade. They are doing whatever they want to now, and still selling out shows wherever they go.

A couple of days of small spin decreases on HAC followed by an increase in spins of 23 as at 11th August, taking it to a high of 537 spins and sitting at a high of No.32. The opposite seemed to happen on AAA, with a couple of days of small adds and then a drop of 3 spins on 11th August to sit still at No.15 with 359 spins. Still not really going anywhere on AC though.

A couple of days of small spin decreases on HAC followed by an increase in spins of 23 as at 11th August, taking it to a high of 537 spins and sitting at a high of No.32. The opposite seemed to happen on AAA, with a couple of days of small adds and then a drop of 3 spins on 11th August to sit still at No.15 with 359 spins. Still not really going anywhere on AC though.

Now sitting at a high of 31 on Hot AC, but will have to gain several hundred more spins to move into the 30th position. That seems unlikely but we'll see.

Up another 13 spins yesterday on HAC to reach a high of 571 spins at number 31. As you say U2freakboy, only another 300 odd spins to go to move up to number 30, or another month or so on those kinda daily adds!

I've heard it all over XM the past few days--Hits 1, '80s on 8 (?), The Pulse, The Spectrum, etc. More than I've heard any other song from SoI.

It's on Sirius Hits 1 Morning Mashup right now.

View attachment 10439

One of the most what????? I need to know!

Loved bands
Hated bands
handsome bands
Common names for a spy plane

That was a very inconsiderate screen shot Brooklynmike!

With that rudeness aside...that's some cool stuff! Love the song and it deserves to be played.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I actually heard it on one of my local radio stations the other day (a modern AC station under the iHeartMedia regime). Even had a spoken intro to it which had the commercial guy saying something like, "... this is U2's Song for Someone." (i.e., not a DJ just saying what the next song was).

I've heard it all over XM the past few days--Hits 1, '80s on 8 (?), The Pulse, The Spectrum, etc. More than I've heard any other song from SoI.

Sirius XM is playing it so much I have to wonder if that was part of their deal to get the U2 town hall. Like U2 says we'll do the town hall, if you play the song. Seems fair enough.

Still hanging in there on HAC - added another 34 spins as of 23rd August to move up to a high of No.30 with a total of 651 spins.

Another couple of days of added spins on HAC takes it up to 687 spins as of 25th August.

Exactly right! 687 is the highest it's reached yet... and it's still going up! Also now reaching a peak audience of about 2.6 million people. I also believe a Top 30 song on the Hot AC is a first for U2 in a very long time.

Still rising on hot ac 725 spins ... That betters every breaking wave although ebw did pretty well on ac chart hitting number 10. Noted that song for someone's video at number 7 on top 40 loud tv chart... Video is most successful yet from this album....maybe hope for a hot 100 entry at some point ?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Still rising on hot ac 725 spins ... That betters every breaking wave although ebw did pretty well on ac chart hitting number 10. Noted that song for someone's video at number 7 on top 40 loud tv chart... Video is most successful yet from this album....maybe hope for a hot 100 entry at some point ?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I would think it has a chance at the Hot 100. It's still rising in spins today, up to 732 and now with a peak audience of more than 3 million people.

Another couple of days of small adds (and 1 small drop) on HAC followed by a big add today of 25 spins, which on HAC takes it up to 763 spins (a high) as of 4th September and a high of number 27. (still dropping on the smaller AAA format though)

Another couple of days of small adds (and 1 small drop) on HAC followed by a big add today of 25 spins, which on HAC takes it up to 763 spins (a high) as of 4th September and a high of number 27. (still dropping on the smaller AAA format though)

Wow! That means it was likely added to the playlist of more stations. Very good sign. If it can crack the top 20 on Hot AC that would be a huge accomplishment for the band. I don't believe they've had a top 20 song since Vertigo.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Heard it on our local pop station for the first time yesterday, it was a long drive and was dozing off in my seat and sprang forward the second I heart the guitar part.

Sneaks into the "800 spins" club on HAC today with an add of 1 spin! Seems to be done on AAA with further falls.

The song continues to soar on Hot AC, reaching new peaks today of 825 spins and a peak audience 4.262 million.

Song seems to be sticking on XM. Hearing it quite a bit on Spectrum & Alt Nation. Even heard it on The Pulse (Pop Station)

Back
Top Bottom