Song For Someone - Radio Play

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SFS now up to number 31 on AAA with 126 spins as at 22nd May

This song has radio hit written all over it but U2 seem to be a bit demonized when it comes to radio over the last two albums. If Every Breaking Wave wasn't a hit, I have little hope for any subsequent single.

With that said, I always thought that SFS was the second best single on the album (California, Troubles and TCB are also up there).

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

SFS stays at number 26 on AAA with 198 spins as at 31st May, although it dropped 6 spins yesterday after a run of continuous spins increases since it entered the AAA chart.

Cosmo/Believe - any thoughts on performance of SFS so far? I don't have access to the previous performances lately but it seems a bit laboured or slow, even compared to EBW or Miracle? No sign on any of the other chart formats so far.

Just don't see SFS doing much. Now, CB with a Redanka mix for the clubs would be a different story entirely. Tour or not, the album is last year's news. But CB is just another one of those hidden gems imho. Too bad U2 don't release a few of the "gems", but maybe they want to save the truly unique and best stuff for the hard core fans.

I know they say otherwise, but actions speak louder than words.

Thanks believe.

Dropped again yesterday, has it peaked already at number 26 on AAA? How bad is that compared to the last few albums?

Again are they really doing to push the song? Sod all

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I haven't heard a new U2 song on the radio since SYCMIOYO, maybe COBL. I heard "crazy tonight" once at a Buffalo Wild Wings...

I actually heard The Miracle and Every Breaking Wave fairly often around their release on the alt. rock station in Connecticut.

Yeah, I've heard EBW from time to time... not, like, an inordinate amount or anything, but enough to leave an impression (though I guess hearing new U2 at all on the radio would be cause for me to take notice).

SFS just plodding along now, at number 25 on AAA with 220 spins as at 11th June. No fireworks here really!

SFS just plodding along now, at number 25 on AAA with 220 spins as at 11th June. No fireworks here really!

Not bad for a single that again isn't receiving any sort of push, I mean where is the video?

I heard SFS on the radio yesterday on my drive to work. :hyper: Glad to see that some of the local stations are playing their newer material.

Appeared on the HAC chart yesterday? Maybe not totally dead? Still floundering around number 20 on AAA.

Now up to number 38 on the HAC chart as at 22nd July with 352 spins and 1.486m audience impressions. Doing OK so far on HAC, with still healthy daily spin adds.

On radio in Nashville

I've heard it on 2 stations in Nashville that I thought were mainstream pop stations. Really surprised.

It has entered the HAC chart today and has an increase of 104 spins. Still at 21 on AAA and just out of momentum. Can't believe EBW didn't really cross over, but I only heard the acoustic version of EBW. Maybe SFS can still catch on after all, but not very optimistic.

LW TW
42 39 U2 Song for Someone Interscope 376 272 104
38 40 HILARY DUFF Sparks RCA 316 362 -46

For what it's worth (again), my fiance's brother (who really only knows the band because of me, and he's sadly relegated the band to "dad rock" status) heard it in the car--had no idea who it was, tried to Shazam it (but it wasn't working for him), and then the dj stated it was U2's latest single... he was like, "THAT'S u2??"

Apparently he loves the song, and not only that, but my fiance wants it to be our first dance song now (I was a bit weary of selecting a U2 song because I wouldn't want my fandom interfering). But yeah, the song seems to be successful in my little circle :3

Sent from my SCH-I435 using U2 Interference mobile app

Last edited:
Now up to No. 34 on HAC as of 1st Aug with 456 spins, up 18 for the day, and 2.023m aud Imps. Also increasing again on AAA where it's stays at No. 18 with 309 spins, up 15 for the day.

Doing ok in the last couple of weeks, but needs to keep motoring to make any real impression outside their usual stations.

What say you BeLieve, Cosmo et al on the recent gains?!

Now up to No. 34 on HAC as of 1st Aug with 456 spins, up 18 for the day, and 2.023m aud Imps. Also increasing again on AAA where it's stays at No. 18 with 309 spins, up 15 for the day.

Doing ok in the last couple of weeks, but needs to keep motoring to make any real impression outside their usual stations.

What say you BeLieve, Cosmo et al on the recent gains?!

As a U2 single (compared to their history), it isn't even on the radar (yet). With that said, as a 3rd single from an album that has made very little waves on radio, its solid so far.

I really thought that EBW was going to be a hit given it is truly a great song from the lyrics to the melody. However, it was not. It didn't chart at all on the Hot 100 and from a radio standpoint it did "okay" by crossing over into several different formats but not dominating or hitting number 1 in any of them.

Song for Someone is the most radio friendly song they have for the very reason that most fans on this forum hate the song (I like it a lot ) in that it is very generic from the melody to the lyrics.

Positives:

It is rising on AAA, where it has been lingering for a while. The fact that it is still there and rising for that matter means that its not because of the "U2" tag but rather its being liked.

Its crossed over into the Hot AC and AC charts, both of which are pretty big formats, the former being one of the biggest. Additionally, my opinion is that if a song can be a hit on the Hot AC format, it has a very solid chance of crossing over into Top 40…which is by far the biggest format.

They have a video for the song that has from what I have read been generally liked. Its a "unique" approach by linking the song to what is essentially a commercial for a TV show.

Things I hear from others that have heard this song are generally very positive. With the most positive being that people didn't know it was U2 (thats a good thing when you have been around for 30+ years and you can still surprise people with your sound).

Negatives:

They have a "unique" video attached to the song that is essentially a commercial for a TV show.

The tour is over/taking a break in North America, so nightly performances of the song are over.

There is no (planned) promotion for them to push this song

In the end, if it is going to be a hit, it will need to do it by being a great song to in the eyes of the mainstream as good just won't due for a band like U2 at this point.

Decent spins added again over the last 2 or 3 days on HAC, now sitting at No.34 with 511 spins (peak) and 2.146m AI. Same on AAA, now at 315 spins (peak) and at No.16.

Also back on AC at number 40 with 35 spins.

Back
Top Bottom