SOI in the charts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Album falls to #93 in the US after just 4 weeks. However, given the state of sales, I would bet it will jump back into the Top 30 in two weeks once they appear on Fallon.

In other news, it's #4 in Italy after 5 weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

World Chart Position and Sales has been updated:

This week #13 with 41,000 albums sold (31% decrease)

Total to date: 421,000

Week 0 : 25k

Week 1: 195k (+680%)

Week 2: 101k (-48%)

Week 3: 59k (-42%)

Week 4: 41k (-31%)

Total=421k

I think 500k is a lock and 1 million is a possibility with Christmas sales coming and a few high profile promotions on the way.

In the Netherlands the album rises one place from #12 to #11. We are waiting on a tour announcement and another single release from the album to push it back in the top ten!

Our main alternative stations plays The Miracle 4x a day according to their playlist. Our smaller alt station plays The Miracle, Reach Me Now and Invisible quite regularly. :)

Now this is going to be very interesting...
I forgot that iTunes has been preselling the Deluxe version...
That means that the album could actually be in for a big jump in the charts next week
Definitely in the world charts, but also U.S.
Even if they only sold like 5,000 copies over the last month or so, it would probably push them back into the top 50 again.
Unfortunately they missed out on a HUGE opportunity with Fallon. And we will have to wait and see how that plays out.

Now this is going to be very interesting...
I forgot that iTunes has been preselling the Deluxe version...
That means that the album could actually be in for a big jump in the charts next week
Definitely in the world charts, but also U.S.
Even if they only sold like 5,000 copies over the last month or so, it would probably push them back into the top 50 again.
Unfortunately they missed out on a HUGE opportunity with Fallon. And we will have to wait and see how that plays out.

How does that work? If I was given the album for free bit purchase this "disk", does it count as Songs of Innocence or does it count as a "B-side" album(in other words as a different album)?

It's somewhat confusing.....

Ok, wait, now i take that back!!!!!

I also forgot that this iTunes/U2 deal was stupid in many ways.
One of those ways is that they are not selling the deluxe version, they are only selling the + (plus) version. Which is disc two of the deluxe.

This tells me that it probably will count seperatly on the charts from the normal version of SOI.

I don't understand why they dont just sell the deluxe version on iTunes but only charge 6.49 for it, since they gave the proper album out for free.

What this does is stupid because there are people that have no clue about the album release being free, and people new to itunes won't even have the opportunity to see the proper album in the list of album under U2. It's crazy!!

I think Guy O' does some things well, but there are some details that really suck with this whole deal

SOI+ (whatever that is) is floating around the top 10 on iTunes, actually outselling the Foo's. It will be interesting to see how this is charted by Billboard. Oh the crazy mixed up, and now crashed promotion of this album.

The fact that people are still buying this album surprises me. :up:

Well, while it was free for 5 weeks, there are still people that never got it.

Plus....it's an amazing album!!! :)

The Netherlands: Still steady at #11!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

Global Chart Album Top 40

World Chart Position and Sales has been updated:

This week #20 with 37,000 albums sold.

They really are doing quite well on the world charts. If you look at others, like Garth brooks selling 136k in his first week! Nick Jonas selling 41k in his first week!!! That is really really low. Pretty crazy to think that U2 is still hanging in there at all given that the album was free for 5 weeks.

They fall to 118 in the US. Now with bono's accident, there will be no return for it. Sad, cause it's such a strong album and the more I listen to EBW, the more I think it's on the level of One as a pure classic.

Sigh. Such is life

They really are doing quite well on the world charts. If you look at others, like Garth brooks selling 136k in his first week! Nick Jonas selling 41k in his first week!!! That is really really low. Pretty crazy to think that U2 is still hanging in there at all given that the album was free for 5 weeks.

They fall to 118 in the US. Now with bono's accident, there will be no return for it. Sad, cause it's such a strong album and the more I listen to EBW, the more I think it's on the level of One as a pure classic.

Sigh. Such is life

I'm not so sure there couldn't be a return for the album. When Bono is better and they start the US promo and announce the tour, it could go higher.

I'm hearing The Miracle all the time now on the two alternative stations. In a 24 hr period, The Miracle is played 5x instead of 4x as it was the week before and on the smaller alternative station they also play This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now. Neither of those stations play EBW.

The Miracle is also up to #34 in top songs of the week on the larger rock station. On the other large rock station I haven't heard it once, but the station also seem to have changed their format right about the time of SOI's release. They are playing some really awful stuff lately and barely any somewhat alternative music. Dumb move since at the same time they changed their song mix they nixed their HD2 Classic Rock and HD3 Alternative stations. Have no clue why, but I don't even listen to the station anymore. I used to listen quite regularly. :huh:

I was outside and a neighbor had his garage door open. I heard "The Miracle" playing. I never heard GOYB playing. So there is still a chance for SOI.

Bono's accident may have hurt a bit, but once they start up US promotion again (most likely in the new year, maybe late January or February for sweeps time) the album may ramp up. Plus, they may be getting ready more for the tour (this all assumes Bono is fairly healed by then), so the promotion makes sense.

As for the songs, there was a time when U2 didn't have to have 1000 TV appearances to get a hit song. Yes, I know, those days may be long ago. But I also believe that a good, or even great, song has a chance all on its own. The first two singles are far stronger than the first two songs from NLOTH. And remember, BD took a LONG time to finally hit its peak on the US charts. So there is still a chance for both the songs and the album.

It doesn't do too well here in Switzerland..... number 26 now, it peaked at number 3, that's all.
Every U2 album since Zooropa were n° 1 at least for a week, even NLOTH.....

I guess the free download has something to do with the low results.

I don't care, I love this album!!!!!:hyper:

Album is jumping back up in a lot of countries due to the second disc being available to download.

Sent from my SM-G900I using U2 Interference mobile app

While this is great and all, that SOI+ is at number 26, it really just shows how badly thought out this whole release was.

Apple should be selling the ENTIRE deluxe edition album and charging 6.99 for it. Why sell this second seperate piece?? Just configure it so it would combine with the sales of the regular deluxe edition. It's not that hard. If Guy O' could make Tom Petty's free album he gave away with ticket purchases count on the charts, then I'm sure he could make this work, if he would have given it any real thought.

You would probably see the album back in the top 15 or 20 if they had done it right. But nothing seems right for SOI...

How is the release badly thought out? They weren't going for PHYSICAL sales if they did that release.

It's okay, Womanfish. Nearly 500k is quite a nice number. I expect physical sales would have picked up a bit if they could have done the Tonight Show promo last week and Christmas coming. Still, the band will do the Fallon show and the promo in the US likely by early March. It will be fine. :hug:

Are your models for what is right based on what has happened in the past? The old model is broken. U2 is making a new one. Thus, the need for the sh*tstorm umbrella.

I do agree that Apple should just sell the ENTIRE album for the one price. It's silly that they aren't. Could someone ring up Guy and get him on this, please. Bono likely can't. I wonder how hard it is for Bono to talk on the phone these days. Ouch!

How is the release badly thought out? They weren't going for PHYSICAL sales if they did that release.

It's okay, Womanfish. Nearly 500k is quite a nice number. I expect physical sales would have picked up a bit if they could have done the Tonight Show promo last week and Christmas coming. Still, the band will do the Fallon show and the promo in the US likely by early March. It will be fine. :hug:

Are your models for what is right based on what has happened in the past? The old model is broken. U2 is making a new one. Thus, the need for the sh*tstorm umbrella.

I do agree that Apple should just sell the ENTIRE album for the one price. It's silly that they aren't. Could someone ring up Guy and get him on this, please. Bono likely can't. I wonder how hard it is for Bono to talk on the phone these days. Ouch!

LOL. I know, I know. I'm just so annoyed by this sort of thing at times. Yes, this was an unconventional release. But while they are breaking the mold of the "future" they still live in the present and i feel they should straddle both accordingly. Right now they are straddling it like bono on a bike seat. :)

I mean, we need no more evidence than a should-be classic U2 song, EBW now sliding off the charts before getting any traction.

sad indeed.

EBW acoustic is on the iTunes What's Hot chart at #37.

I do have ?s about the release of the singles and who is calling the shots and when. I still think the album is strong enough it can bounce back up the charts when Bono is 100% again and they do their thing for the promo and tour announcement.

They surprised us with the album and with its method of release, so I'm thinking there will be another surprise coming. :love:

Netherlands: #25 after 7 weeks charting it finally drops further. New single and video. Needed to save the album!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

SOI sells 38k this past week worldwide. This brings the total to 537,000

It's held pretty steady the last 4 weeks or so. Anyone think the tour announcement will boost next couple weeks numbers? I'm guessing it'll be around 45k next week and 50 the week after.

Back
Top Bottom