SOI in the charts - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Peeling off those Dollar Bills
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2014, 03:39 PM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:49 PM
Concerning the proposed discount digital sales, Billboard now only counts albums that sell above a certain price point. I think it's $5. They got really annoyed when Amazon was selling the Gaga album for like .99 or whatever and then changed the rules.

This was the best method of release for U2. They likely earned more money in the long-run thanks to the amount Apple paid them and exposed millions to their music. The record labels/stores are the ones getting screwed though...no doubt in my mind that this release will end up having been "over-printed" and that there will be way more CDs and vinyl than actual demand.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #122
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
I agree, except, after I thought about it, it makes a lot of sense.

U2 had a MUCH shorter pre-order time than these other artists who release in a more traditional way.

They had pre-orders going for at least a month or more, and I think SOI, was around 2 weeks or so.

So when there is that much pre-order time, they will inevitably have a larger decline in the second week, and as such, U2 had a smaller decline because of less pre-order time.

I mean, I think Taylor Swift has had like 2 months of pre-order time. So while she's "setting the record" for having 3 releases open with over a million units, it really is kinda bullshit.

I mean, when N'sync and Eminem and people were opening with first week sales of over a million, it was on sales that happened THAT week. Not accumulated over 2 months.
I actually expected a less than normal % decline as since the album was free there is less of a need for people to rush out and buy it straight away. Also whereas they usually do promo the week before release, this time they only started the promo after the release (i.e. they did not do any promo whilst the album was free on iTunes).

I too think that 300k would have been achieved with a 'traditional' release. I know they had a hit single and more radio play, but Coldplay opened with about 300k and I think U2 would have matched that.

Not to forget that HTDAAB nearly debuted with 1M copied. (845,000)

Old 10-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #123
Acrobat

Quote:
Everything about this post is wrong.

With streaming becoming the new thing, album charts like this will probably cease to exist (as we know them) within a couple years.
Gold and Platinum will mean nothing and things will most likely be charted on streams, youtube views, downloads, facebook and webpage hits, etc...

I think the band knows this and unlike the really stupid comments by Iggy Pop, they are succeeding in having people hear their music, and that in the end is what seems to be important to them.
Iggy can sell his 20,000 albums this next time and then sit and wonder if HIS is a flop?? or maybe the landscape has shifted so dramatically that the term flop, only applies to the old method of charting things.
It could be that in 5-10 years time, physical sales have shrunk so low that they are no longer available and paid/legal downloads have fallen to the point that illegal downloads outnumber them 100 or even 1000 to 1.

In which case maybe iTunes and the others will resort to paying artists upfront and 'giving away' all music for free (instead making money from some sort of advertising). This could lead to a new chart format altogether and in 20 years time, SOI could be placed in the all time album chart ahead of the Joshua Tree with 30-40M copies 'sold'. Maybe an album would even overtake thriller at 70 odd million and be considered as the biggest 'selling' album of all time.

... only time will tell.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #124
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
It could be that in 5-10 years time, physical sales have shrunk so low that they are no longer available and paid/legal downloads have fallen to the point that illegal downloads outnumber them 100 or even 1000 to 1.

In which case maybe iTunes and the others will resort to paying artists upfront and 'giving away' all music for free (instead making money from some sort of advertising). This could lead to a new chart format altogether and in 20 years time, SOI could be placed in the all time album chart ahead of the Joshua Tree with 30-40M copies 'sold'. Maybe an album would even overtake thriller at 70 odd million and be considered as the biggest 'selling' album of all time.

... only time will tell.
Yes it will be very interesting how things will change. One thing I think is always interesting is that all your staple "classic" albums really have had their sales boosted by format changes over the years.

Pink Floyd, zeppelin, Beatles, Michael Jackson the list goes on and on. And it includes U2

I know that I owned about 500 cassettes before cd's came out and I bought probably half of those again.
I know I've owned 3 Joshua trees and now may buy the remastered version!!
So I truly believe Achtung was sold to more people than JT, because I would say most people have purchased JT a couple times.
I also did with Achtung since I was late to the CD game.

But now, it's really shifting fast to a new generation maybe not "owning" anything but just being able to stream anything at any time.

Anyway, just rambling.

Oh - forgot - the minimum price for an album to be counted is $3.49.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:21 AM   #125
Rock n' Roll Doggie

SOI is at number 25 on the Billboard charts in the US this week.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #126
New Yorker

Quote:
SOI is at number 25 on the Billboard charts in the US this week.

25 U2 SONGS OF INNOCENCE 10,763 -62% 28,122 39,584

10,763 sold this week
39,584 sold in total
62% drop(which is about right but not too bad)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 10-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #127
New Yorker

I think the U.S. Promotional push will coincide with the holiday season (3rd week November into December).

Especially if they announce the tour in November as has been mentioned, they will essentially be promoting the tour but also get a holiday sales boost as well.

I imagine they have some "tricks" up their sleeves.

My guess:

GMA(Good Morning America)
Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon
Late Night with Jimmy Kimmel
SNL
Radio station interviews

All of this should coincide with the "official"release ( whatever that means these days) of Every Breaking Wave.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #128
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
I think the U.S. Promotional push will coincide with the holiday season (3rd week November into December).

Especially if they announce the tour in November as has been mentioned, they will essentially be promoting the tour but also get a holiday sales boost as well.

My guess:

SNL
Radio station interviews

All of this should coincide with the "official"release ( whatever that means these days) of Every Breaking Wave.

Letterman is almost 100% guarantee. Not sure about Kimmel
Old 10-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #129
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:49 PM
SOI in the charts

Quote:

My guess:

SNL
Radio station interviews

I think this is more or less what's going to happen.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #130
New Yorker

Quote:
Letterman is almost 100% guarantee. Not sure about Kimmel

Keep in mind they have a new manger and they are trying more so to reach younger demos. Kimmel has a younger audience than letterman. They might do both but I'm thinking Kimmel is more likely.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Keep in mind they have a new manger and they are trying more so to reach younger demos. Kimmel has a younger audience than letterman. They might do both but I'm thinking Kimmel is more likely.

I see your point. You may be right, but they have been a Letterman staple for years now. I think they have mutual respect for eachother.

That said, I think if they went on Fallon (or is it Kimmel?) and did "Mean Tweets" it would be SO good.

Would love to see them do all the shows, including Conan and Craig Ferguson, Seth Meyers, etc...

They have done all sorts of random stuff in Europe, so I hope they continue on here.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #132
New Yorker

#1 in Italy for a 2nd week!

Old 10-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
#1 in Italy for a 2nd week!

Hey Cosmo, can you find the sales numbers for the first couple weeks for NLOTH for France, Italy, Spain, Portugal and maybe Netherlands and compare them to SOI's performance?

It's pretty amazing that it's even in the same ballpark...
Old 10-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #134
New Yorker

SOI in the charts

Quote:
Hey Cosmo, can you find the sales numbers for the first couple weeks for NLOTH for France, Italy, Spain, Portugal and maybe Netherlands and compare them to SOI's performance?

It's pretty amazing that it's even in the same ballpark...

I'll see if I can find it. I know I tracked chart positions and sales when available.

Also.....#1 in Portugal for the 2nd week in a row!

Old 10-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #135
The Fly

Up to #5 from #14 in Iceland, a country where foreign acts don´t sell albums in.