SOI in the charts - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Peeling off those Dollar Bills
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #31
The Fly

Local Time: 04:01 AM
#6 in the UK albums chart.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
I don't know if I'd call it expected. Yes they love U2, but you're talking about the US having 5 times the population of France and they may DOUBLE the sales of the U.S.

their 22k figure is only 3 days. So they may sell another 25k next week.
well i guess there hasn't been masses of promo in the US yet, whereas there was Le Grand Journal spot in France which might have boosted sales too... what always struck me was, in France, people from all generations seem to love U2 (whereas in the UK it seemed to be more of a generation thing in the past) - i don't know if it's the same in the US?

Old 10-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #33
War Child

#6 in the UK - Not bad though I was hoping they would at least beat Jesse J...

In fairness though, when you see the top 5 you really get an idea of the horrible state of the music industry. When inane, record company marketing department manufactured dross like Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith and George Ezra is camped at the top of the album charts for months on end it's hard to see where real talent will ever break through again.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax View Post
#6 in the UK albums chart.

Pretty decent to be fair, i think judging by the interview on graham norton they knew this wouldn't get to number 1, and really speaking why should it of? The people who wanted it would have downloaded it for free

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference
Old 10-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

U2's son gs of Innocence is number 1 in:

lol, George Esra etc. Are insanely talented compared to whats on rhe dutch charts sometimes..
Old 10-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #36
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Quote:
I don't know if I'd call it expected. Yes they love U2, but you're talking about the US having 5 times the population of France and they may DOUBLE the sales of the U.S.

their 22k figure is only 3 days. So they may sell another 25k next week.
Do you have a link for the 22k in 3 days French figure? I found this link for the chart position, but I don't see the actual number. Thanks! Meilleures ventes d'Albums en France (Top Albums)
Old 10-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBTH View Post

In fairness though, when you see the top 5 you really get an idea of the horrible state of the music industry. When inane, record company marketing department manufactured dross like Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith and George Ezra is camped at the top of the album charts for months on end it's hard to see where real talent will ever break through again.
Ed Sheeran
Old 10-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #38
New Yorker

Ive only seen the album onsale in hmv and obviously through amazon in the uk.why is this? I didnt see it in any supermarkets which id have thought is a good chunk of sales. Was it not stocked becasue of the whole itunes deal?
Old 10-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

There's no doubt there have been changes, but shit music has always dominated. Have a look at the charts around Achtung in 1991/92. Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith, or you'd prefer Michael Bolton and Vanilla Ice?
Old 10-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #40
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
There's no doubt there have been changes, but shit music has always dominated. Have a look at the charts around Achtung in 1991/92. Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith, or you'd prefer Michael Bolton and Vanilla Ice?
Yep, crap music has always dominated the charts. The biggest difference by far nowadays is that it takes far fewer album sales to be in the top 10 than it used to.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
or you'd prefer Michael Bolton and Vanilla Ice?
thanks... i'd erased them from my memory until just now
Old 10-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #42
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by domo-kun View Post
lol, George Esra etc. Are insanely talented compared to whats on the dutch charts sometimes..
I agree that they are quite talented guys, it's just I find the music they are releasing to be rather calculated and lacking in real personality. Ed Sheeran's "X" - 3 out of 12 songs actually written solely by him. Sam Smith's "In the Lonely Hour" - 2 out of 10... Songs written by committee to meet the current trends and they really sound like it. I'm not sure if Ezra's album is the same but he's definitely on that post - Mumford & Sons lightweight folky bandwagon which I just find so calculated and boring.

They definitely beat the hell out of Vanilla Ice and Michael bolton though LOL... Point taken!
Old 10-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

U2's son gs of Innocence is number 1 in:

Quote:
I agree that they are quite talented guys, it's just I find the music they are releasing to be rather calculated and lacking in real personality. Ed Sheeran's "X" - 3 out of 12 songs actually written solely by him. Sam Smith's "In the Lonely Hour" - 2 out of 10... Songs written by committee to meet the current trends and they really sound like it. I'm not sure if Ezra's album is the same but he's definitely on that post - Mumford & Sons lightweight folky bandwagon which I just find so calculated and boring.

They definitely beat the hell out of Vanilla Ice and Michael bolton though LOL... Point taken!
I understand your point much better now, and i agree!

Its just like many music artists these days just check out whats hot , get a team of producers on it ..

and then make a good/bad/terrible replica of it. Its hard to find artist with a real sense of own identity in between all the BS. Its true. Nice post
Old 10-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotSleeping View Post
Do you have a link for the 22k in 3 days French figure? I found this link for the chart position, but I don't see the actual number. Thanks! Meilleures ventes d'Albums en France (Top Albums)
Here ya go

Week Ending 12th October 2014 / Albums Chart | French music charts
Old 10-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #45
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Quote:
Excellent! Thank you so much! I don't know why it wouldn't show up when I searched for it.