SOI in the charts - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Peeling off those Dollar Bills
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #166
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:48 PM
The rumor was that the general sale would be on November 22nd, pre-sales prior to that.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:08 AM   #167
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:48 PM
So no SOI in the top 50 in the US this week. General surge in sales across the board.
Will be interesting to see if the week of Fallon and the availability of it to buy on iTunes will bring it back into the top 50 at that point.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #168
Refugee

Local Time: 01:48 PM
#9 in the World with 59,000 sold. Down from #4 with 5 debuts ahead of it this week. Sales numbers are so low for ALL albums save for maybe country music, which might be the last demographic of fans that still use CD players.

U2 has seen the music industry's business model change so much during their career and have always been out in front of things...setting trends rather than following. I still don't get their singles strategy, though. Crystal Ballroom would be a great single imho. It should have made the proper album...theme fits (Bono imagining being in U2 with his parents dancing together in the Ballroom)...great song...would have been mixed and hit #1 on dance/club charts.

Maybe it will make the radio yet, but EBW could be a pretty big hit for them. We'll see.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:13 AM   #169
Refugee

Local Time: 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beLIEve View Post
#9 in the World with 59,000 sold. Down from #4 with 5 debuts ahead of it this week. Sales numbers are so low for ALL albums save for maybe country music, which might be the last demographic of fans that still use CD players.

U2 has seen the music industry's business model change so much during their career and have always been out in front of things...setting trends rather than following. I still don't get their singles strategy, though. Crystal Ballroom would be a great single imho. It should have made the proper album...theme fits (Bono imagining being in U2 with his parents dancing together in the Ballroom)...great song...would have been mixed and hit #1 on dance/club charts.

Maybe it will make the radio yet, but EBW could be a pretty big hit for them. We'll see.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:25 AM   #170
Refugee

I have absolutely no intention of ever buying Songs of Innocence, if that tells you anything
Tells me you Scot somewhere.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:03 AM   #171
The Fly

Down to 43 from 24 in Australia...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 11-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #172
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasin73 View Post
U2 released Pride as a single and it hit number 39 for one week.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #173
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_digg View Post
Down to 43 from 24 in Australia...

And in week 1 sales less than 3k - so hey don't expect U2 to make Oz a tour priority. Best sales in Europe - again !!!!
Old 11-10-2014, 02:21 AM   #174
Refugee

Local Time: 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeuk View Post
And in week 1 sales less than 3k - so hey don't expect U2 to make Oz a tour priority. Best sales in Europe - again !!!!
They will come here, but maybe not a full blown tour.
To tell you the truth though I'm surprised anyone here in Australia knows about the physical release. I've seen zero promotion, no songs on radio, just a few TV spots like 60 minutes.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:48 AM   #175
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:48 PM
4th week of U2 in the Dutch charts, beginning to drop slowly.

Position #12 now.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:15 AM   #176
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:48 AM
As I wrote earlier, even if SOI was released the traditional way, it would be dropping on the charts now without a hit song. The fan base is strong enough to get it to #1 or decent first and second week sales. After that, an album needs something to keep the public interested. That's always been the case. "The Miracle" is a fine song, but it served more of "The Fly" type of role. It was to remind people that U2 has something new, this is U2's new sound and direction, and that the album is coming (or, in this case, out immediately). EBW is equivalent to a "Mysterious Ways" (or "One" if you prefer) - the bigger song that will be the hit. Trouble is, this isn't 1991 any more and U2 aren't in their late 20's/early 30's where the music buying youth can still relate to them. So U2 need to push EBW to get audiences interested. That's the only way SOI will see some sort of decent sales.

Plus, IMO, SOI is a very solid album. Not U2's best, but one of their strongest in recent years. As a result, it should have that hit or two that keeps the album in people's memories. At present, people only know it as that "free release" that "just appeared". Why so many people protested that is beyond me (I don't care for Justin Bieber, but if his album just appeared on my iPhone, I'd give it a listen). SOI deserves more than that memory.

I hope U2's upcoming promotion does the trick.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #177
War Child

Local Time: 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwho View Post
"The Miracle" is a fine song, but it served more of "The Fly" type of role. It was to remind people that U2 has something new, this is U2's new sound and direction, and that the album is coming (or, in this case, out immediately). EBW is equivalent to a "Mysterious Ways" (or "One" if you prefer) - the bigger song that will be the hit.
This is how I see it, too. It's the model U2 has used since AB. EBW should be the biggest hit U2 has had for some time, but the 3rd single is the big question to me.

If they go with California or Volcano or Song for Someone, they could risk losing momentum. They've got to strike again while they're hot and release Crystal Ballroom or The Troubles. These are songs that will have a bigger impact.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #178
New Yorker

SOI in the charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwho View Post
Why so many people protested that is beyond me (I don't care for Justin Bieber, but if his album just appeared on my iPhone, I'd give it a listen). SOI deserves more than that memory.

I'm 100% with you on this but the reality is if you gave every one $1,000, there would still be some people that would complain ("I don't want your charity money" or " oh, now I need to pay tax on this free money").

What's more interesting is how insane the actual comments are. It was as if U2 killed puppies or bombed a school. The reactions from some (mostly younger people) are embarrassing and reflective of how people were raised(or lack thereof).

My favorite comment involved U2 "eating many dicks" because apparently one would not suffice!

Old 11-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #179
Refugee

Local Time: 06:48 PM
Poland:

13.10-19.10 - #1
20.10-26.10 - #2
27.10-02.11 - #2

as of 05.11 it is a double platinum album - 40k

Old 11-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #180
Refugee

Local Time: 11:48 PM