SOE Singles - Chart Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan_smee

ONE love, blood, life
Sorry for the overlap with TBT thread, just thought it sensible to have a tread named appropriately seeing as though we are discussing GOOYOW and AS in the other thread.

From the other thread following news that both GOOYOW and AS will be released to radio on different formats:

This strategy probably shows they are more interested in cumulative AI than the chart position of singles. It will also keep these songs a bit ‘out of the way’ of TBT if it is still going strong.

If both songs go ok in totally different formats, and TBT has 9-10 million AI, then it is possible ‘new u2’ is hitting 20 million plus people a day in the US.

It’s all about album chart position at this point, and this is probably the best strategy for that.

GOOYOW is on the Triple A spincrease chart with 20 spins from 7 stations.

No sign of American Soul

Where has everyone been? I mean there can't be anything bigger going on than here in this chart forum….oh thats right ;)

Well, Im holding off from listening to the album until Friday, so maybe Ill just write to myself :)

You're The Best Thing About Me:

I have noted this since the start of the Best Thing chart thread but Hot AC is a very slow burn of a format, to the point that Song for Someone and Every Breaking Wave both hit their spin & AI peaks around 104 & 106 days after first charting respectively.

Well, in its 76th day on the Hot AC chart, Best Thing hits a peak in both spins and AI

Position: #17 (peak was #16)
Spins: 1,794 (+58) and this is a peak total
AI: 9.229 million AI and this is a peak total

I firmly believe that it has some time left to keep rising and potentially cross over to "Top 40" stations. It currently sits at #17 and if you look at the top 20 songs on Hot AC:
-75% of the top 20 songs are charting in the top 50 of the "Top 40" chart(yes, I know how ridiculous that statement reads with all the top this and that)
-87% of the top 15 songs are charting in the top 50 of the "Top 40" chart

Yes, U2 is old and likely older than all of the other artists on the chart but fuck it, it is what it is and shit, they sound just as young as anyone else on the chart!

Triple A they are holding steady at #3 with 611 spins and 1.625 million AI

They are also at #139 on the overall US radio charts, which is only 1 spot below their peak of #138.

Lastly, this is the 52nd consecutive day that they have had a total AI above 10 million.

FWIW, Just finished another week of travel, and regardless of charts, TBT was all over the radio and SXM's the Spectrum. TBT is also still in the Daily & Weekly Top 5 countdown that's also on the Spectrum.

I've already heard GOOYOW as well, and that song is MADE for HAC. I know some pretty good songs by U2 have failed to "cross over" in the past few decades, but the vibe around this album is unbelievably positive.

I've always felt like U2 songs get better over time after being played live on tour(s). Since SOE songs have been played in various forms for a few years now, maybe we will get the best of each version on the album. I'm holding out until Dec 1 even though you can get all the songs already. I have not gone to a store to buy an album since 2004, but I will this Friday. Deluxe version for me and this album should be a SMASH hit,

But I know that us chart watchers here have seen good song after good song panned by radio for quite some time now. Does anyone else think that the songs on SOE are just TOO good to be left only to "Adult alternative" again? My 18 year old daughter has heard most of the album and so have her friends,,,,they spent 4 hours yesterday trading their favorites and listening to various tracks.

I turned the blue tooth off in my car when they started doing that...I want to feel that anticipation on Friday that's been missing for so long,,,

GOOYOW is 3rd on the Triple A Spincrease chart with 55 spins from 12 stations. It will likely enter the Triple A chart within 3 days or so.

American Soul has 1 add on Alternative (Sirius Radio)

Get out of your own way is number 85 on uk iTunes, didn't even know they had a song in the top 200 for pretty surprised!

Get out of your own way is number 85 on uk iTunes, didn't even know they had a song in the top 200 for pretty surprised!

The highest I've seen it was 59 a couple of weeks back when it was released

Get Out Of Your Own Way

Triple A: #50
Spins: 77
AI: 0.482

Total US Radio Airplay rank: #779

Get Out Of Your Own Way

Triple A: #50
Spins: 77
AI: 0.482

Total US Radio Airplay rank: #779

Get out of Your Own Way

Triple A: # 37 (peak position)
Spins: 120
AI: .608
Adds: 3 new stations
Spincrease: 91 spins from 20 stations (2nd most)

US Radio Rank: #734

The Black Out

Triple A: NR

Spincrease chart: 12 spins from 8 stations

Last edited:
So a month or so back I posted about my shock at how bad Katy Perry did on the radio charts. Her lead single did jump to the top of the charts (top 10) but quickly fell off. Her subsequent 3 singles failed to crack the top 100 or maybe even 200. Kind of crazy when you think of how she DOMINATED radio over the years.

Truth be told, it is my opinion that it had nothing to due with age or backlash of any sort but rather the songs just were not good (at least catchy like her previous singles).

The most recent surprise for me is Eminem, whose new single featuring Beyonce peaked recently at #189 and is now at #197. It may very well rise again but he was an artist at one point who would shoot to the top of the radio charts and now it seems like U2.....those automatic airplay days are over.

Im not saying its a bad song (I haven't heard it yet), just noting how times change.

On a more positive note, Becks newest single "Up All Night" hits a new peak at #125 on US Radio. I like this song a lot and Im rooting for him.

Am I the only one who thinks it would be a huge mistake if U2 don’t release “Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way” right now?

Yep. i totally agree. Play this song in the final scenes of a big network show finale like This is Us, and watch it explode.

I seriously think this song would have the potential to be one of their biggest hits, but it would have to have huge marketing (you know, cause they are old and no one cares about them anymore)

TV, movies, commercial tie in, whatever. But it is a huge pop song with U2 flair.

Yep. i totally agree. Play this song in the final scenes of a big network show finale like This is Us, and watch it explode.

I seriously think this song would have the potential to be one of their biggest hits, but it would have to have huge marketing (you know, cause they are old and no one cares about them anymore)

TV, movies, commercial tie in, whatever. But it is a huge pop song with U2 flair.

Yep, let's hope they have this in mind

Get out of Your Own Way

Triple A: # 37 (peak position)
Spins: 120
AI: .608
Adds: 3 new stations
Spincrease: 91 spins from 20 stations (2nd most)

US Radio Rank: #734

The Black Out

Triple A: NR

Spincrease chart: 12 spins from 8 stations

Get out of Your Own Way

Triple A: #30 (peak position)
Spins: 167
AI: .703
Adds: 4 new stations (Most Added)
Spincrease: 124 spins from 23 stations (Most Added)

US Radio Rank: #695

Other SOE Songs

Triple A Charts

Station Adds:

Summer of Love- 1 new add Sirius FM (S018)
American Soul - 1 new add Sirius FM (S018)
Little Things- 1 new add Sirius FM (S018)
The Showman - 1 new add Sirius FM (S018)
Lights of Home- 1 new add Sirius FM (S018)
The Blackout - 1 new add Sirius FM (S018)

Spincrease chart-
Lights of Home- 11 spins from 4 stations
Summer of Love- 11 spins from 3 stations
The Showman- 13 spins from 4 stations
The Blackout - 25 spins from 9 stations

Where in the shit is Love is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way? That song is epic.

Get out of Your Own Way

Triple A: #30 (peak position)
Spins: 167
AI: .703
Adds: 4 new stations (Most Added)
Spincrease: 124 spins from 23 stations (Most Added)

US Radio Rank: #689

Other SOE Songs

Triple A Charts

Station Adds:

Summer of Love- 1 new add Sirius FM (S018)
American Soul - 1 new add Sirius FM (S018)
The Showman - 1 new add Sirius FM (S018)
Lights of Home- 1 new add Sirius FM (S018)
The Blackout - 1 new add Sirius FM (S018)

Spincrease chart-
Lights of Home- 11 spins from 4 stations
Summer of Love- 11 spins from 3 stations
The Showman- 13 spins from 4 stations
The Blackout - 25 spins from 9 stations

Where in the shit is Love is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way? That song is epic.

Get out of Your Own Way

Triple A: #25 (peak position)
Spins: 204
AI: .726
Adds: 2 new stations (Tied for Most Added)
Spincrease: 135 spins from 23 stations (Most Added)

Alternative: NR
Spincrease: 24 spins from 7 stations

US Radio Rank: #695

Other SOE Songs

Triple A Charts

Station Adds:
The Showman - 1 new add Chicago
The Blackout - 2 new adds Sirius FM (S018) & Minneapolis (tied for most added)

Spincrease chart-
American Soul - 11 spins from 4 stations
Lights of Home- 13 spins from 4 stations
Little Things - 12 spins from 1 station
Summer of Love- 12 spins from 3 stations
The Showman- 17 spins from 4 stations
The Blackout - 35 spins from 8 stations

Last edited:
GOOYOW is at #4 on Billboard’s Adult Alternative chart.

Yeah, it has been sneaking up the Triple A chart quietly this last couple of weeks.

It has also just entered the Hot AC chart at number 49 today as well. (And is in good positions on the spincrease and taking off charts)

Last edited:
Singles aside, I see the album is back on the Billboard 200 at the #140 spot.

Any reason for the rise?

If ticket sales for the upcoming tour still come with a cd or download, that could be a factor. And if so, I don't know if the new dates added play into the mix.

I guess it could be from the AS spot for the NCAA tourney as well.

Or perhaps GOOYOW is making an impact, enough to push sales a little.

Or maybe all of the above or a combination thereof.

In other words . . . . I have no idea.

I thought GOOYOW was finished; but it is up to it's max in spins at 32 on HAC. As for any bump in total sales, unlike YTBY. GOOYOW is slowly rising up the Euro 200 chart. In it's 5th week...

TW LW W HI Artist Song
129 133 5 129 U2 - GET OUT OF YOUR OWN WAY

Love is Bigger, gaining a bit of traction now on Triple A, and has also appeared on the spincrease chart for Hot AC.

Lights of Home is also now on both the spincrease and taking off charts for Triple A, and has been picked up by 2 stations? Not sure if this is a temporary thing or not, wasn't aware it was being pushed to Triple A? Seems a bit too long after the Record Store Day thing too?

Back
Top Bottom