Slane Ratings - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Peeling off those Dollar Bills
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2002, 06:18 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:59 AM
Slane Ratings

Anybody have any idea what Slane was rated? I hope it's not another repeat of POP...

PS: I absolutely adored it! Especially Out of Control..."Dad, can I have a lend of 500 pounds?"

DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 08:36 AM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:59 AM

Hiya,

These two threads may help you out:

http://forum.interference.com/showth...threadid=68953

http://forum.interference.com/showth...threadid=68952

LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 08:45 AM   #3
Acrobat

I heard on one of the entertainment shows last night that U2's special was the lowest rated out of all the music specials last week. The Slane Special only had 4 million viewers. The Faith Hill Special was the highest rated with 11 million, than it was Tim McGraw, then the Paul McCartney concert. The Elvis Presley Special did very well, I think I heard it had close to 11 million viewers too.
dipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 11:30 AM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 09:59 AM
Slane showing helps sales

Hits current figures show just under 71,000 sales this week with 57% of sales in - so the Slane showing has had a positive impact sales wise.

Mike
mike63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 04:00 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:59 AM
The problem is that more than 80% of U2 fans are not at home at 10 pm on a Friday night. Most are 25-40 and are usually out at that point. I'd like to know the time and day those other music specials were on because that has a much bigger influence on the number of people that will be watching than the actual popularity of the artist.

In addition, only 2.4 million watched the POP music special back in 1997, so if the figure is 4 million this time around, thats a 70% increase in the number of people watching. Also realize that the latest studio albums by the other artist have not even come close to selling 11 million copies worldwide like U2s ATYCLB has.
STING2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 09:25 AM   #6
Acrobat

All of the other music specials started at 8:00, except for the Elvis Special which also started at 10:00 on Thursday night. So I'm sure U2's ratings would have been higher if it had been on earlier and on another night. The actual figure was more like 3.6 million viewers, but that is still not bad, better than the POP special as you pointed out.

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
The problem is that more than 80% of U2 fans are not at home at 10 pm on a Friday night. Most are 25-40 and are usually out at that point. I'd like to know the time and day those other music specials were on because that has a much bigger influence on the number of people that will be watching than the actual popularity of the artist.

In addition, only 2.4 million watched the POP music special back in 1997, so if the figure is 4 million this time around, thats a 70% increase in the number of people watching. Also realize that the latest studio albums by the other artist have not even come close to selling 11 million copies worldwide like U2s ATYCLB has.
dipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 10:09 PM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 02:59 AM
I totally agree STING, it wasnt advertized very much. it was on a friday, the least watched night. It was at 11:00. If it had been on on a Thursday and had been advertized it could have easily taken 10 million! This isnt U2's fault its CBS's

bonoman is offline   Reply With Quote