Should we be worried about decreasing record sales?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes you should be worried. We should all be worried. It is our duty to support this band in their time of crisis, i.e. poor album sales. I think the bigger question is what are you, we doing to help out this band that has given us all such a great life?

Well i can proudly say i am doing my part. This past week i have went to Best Buy, Wal Mart, Target, etc. and purchased around 5000 copies of NLOTH. In fact i have purchased every copy of NLOTH in this city! You might think to yourself, what is Mrs. Garrison doing with 5000 copies of NLOTH? Yeah good question...im handing them out to strangers on the street along with little pocket bibles (New Testament) and loaves of bread.

You might ask yourself how i can afford all of this? Well, first off, i am a very wealthy man/woman. I am very blessed. Second, even if i start to run low on funds i have faith in the Father that silver and gold will rain down from the sky like loose electricity. Plus i could always sell one of my McMansions in the hills (that used to be mountains), lay off the heroin for a month, and hook the corner like the good old days. Okay it was just last month that i was working the corner, but i did it for fun and not for money, so that really doesn't count. And ive replaced some of the heroin with hard liquor, i just love the way it looks in that brown paper bag.

Nothing heals the soul like the word of God, bread of the lamb, and NLOTH. Next week im heading to Kansas City to pass out a new Jesus DVD, raw fish, and 10,000 copies of NLOTH. Then 15,000 in St. Louis....in fact I'll be hitting a city near you really soon. It's my pilgrimage to keep NLOTH atop the charts and spread the word of our Lord and Savior & Bono.

J33-3

ha classic.

I disagree, i think HTDAAB is far far better than NLOTH. the worst songs on bomb are at worst equal to the best songs on NLOTH. not to say that i dont like NLOTH but HTDAAB is my fave album ever.

The Daily Express, March 21, 2009

WITH U2 having released their 12th album, drummer Larry Mullen Jr believes their days are numbered.

A founder member with Bono, The Edge and Adam Clayton, he says it’s important the band goes out while still on top of their game.

“There will be a time when it’s like, ‘It’s time to go,’” says Larry, 47, known as Babyface Mullen.

“I would like that to be on a high when you’re still achieving as opposed to the curve down. That’ll be sad for me. I think it’ll be a more dignified time to go.

“We might come back in five years’ time and may do something together for old times’ sake because we know we’ll want to. That’ll be a beautiful end to a long, beautiful career. It can’t go on for ever. It just can’t.”

(c) The Daily Express, 2009

the above article is quite alarming, it makes it sound that theyre about to call it a day, but there on tour for another 2 years + supposedly have another album already made for release next year.
'we might come back in 5 years time' isnt that how long it takes them to make a new record normally anyway!

Don´t pay too much attention to those type of comments. Every now and then, some of U2 members are reported to say something along those lines. You know the media love this kind of reports.

As for album preferences, NLOTH comes in the third place of my personal ranking, very close to AB which is in second place.. JT is in an unreachable first place, I mean, it´s the best rock album ever :)
HTDAAB comes in fourth place.

I wouldn't be concerned except for the fact that I think NLOTH is far superior to HTDAAB and I'm a little afraid the band will interpret the sales figures as a sign that they need to release HTDAAB II, III, IV, etc. from here on out. However, I think the band is savvy enough to realize there's a recession going on and that's bound to affect sales numbers.

:up::up::up::up:

I would say I'm not worried at all. Bono probably wipes his ass with $50 bills, so, they'll be ok.

I don't think you can blame the recession too much on album sales..Cheap entertainment isn't hurt too much (the U.S. film box office is up $200 million versus this point last year) by a recession. I could see concert sales affected, though. Probably the wrong time to do a stadium tour.

Back
Top Bottom