Pollstar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac_Fly

War Child
So here are the Top Ten midway through the year:

1. Ed Sheeran – $213.9 million
2. Bruno Mars – $113.4 million
3. The Rolling Stones – $100.8 million
4. Taylor Swift – $98 million
5. Pink – $95.9 million
6. Eagles – $84 million
7. Justin Timberlake – $83.8 million
8. Kenny Chesney – $62.1 million
9. Roger Waters – $60.7 million
10. U2 – $59.9 million

Not sure why GnR isn't in there. That would probably knock U2 out of the Top Ten however.

U2 have only done 27 arena shows to get to that number. The Stones have only done 14 stadium shows to get that number. If U2 had done 27 stadium shows, they’d be near the top of that list.

U2 have only done 27 arena shows to get to that number. The Stones have only done 14 stadium shows to get that number. If U2 had done 27 stadium shows, they’d be near the top of that list.

Perhaps.

But the Stones charge a lot more for tickets and U2 couldn't (legitimately) sell out most arenas this last tour.

So U2 would have made a little more in stadiums, presumably. But how much more is debatable.

Then there's this:

The Def Leppard and Journey co-headlining tour of North America has topped $50 million in revenue just past the halfway mark of the six-month trek, according to Pollstar.

They report that the veteran rockers have played to more than half a million fans through 33 shows on the 58-city run since launching the series in Hartford, CT on May 21.

A mix of arena and stadium concerts, the top box office gross for the two classic rock bands so far comes from a July 21 show at Denver's Coors Field, where they earned $3.8 million in sales from a sellout crowd of 44,928.

Maybe U2 and a reunited REM should tour together and see what happens.

Let’s not forget that just a year ago U2 had a sold out stadium tour that would’ve placed them near the top of this list. U2 don’t need to start touring with REM. They shouldn’t have visited the US in 2018 at all. Demand was clearly tapped.

Still, I'm extremely surprised and a little bit mystified by the fact that U2 weren't able to completely sell out ARENAS in some of the biggest US cities. I never thought that was possible. I'm going to make a list of all the concerts that had the upper real level seats curtained off. Somebody correct me if I missed one.

St. Louis
San Jose 2
Las Vegas 2
Omaha
Chicago 2
Philly 2
DC 2

Seriously, if you'd have told me a year ago that U2 wouldn't be able to sell out TWO shows at the United Center in Chicago I wouldn't have believed it. Part of it is that they just toured with the Joshua Tree the year before, and part of it is the ticket prices. But that still just shouldn't happen...

2015 had 76 shows and grossed $152 million.

This year will have 59 shows, and will probably do roughly $110-120, million I’m guestimating.

2015 had 76 shows and grossed $152 million.

This year will have 59 shows, and will probably do roughly $110-120, million I’m guestimating.

Sure, but relative to the other acts they will still land about where they are now on the gross chart (well, lower actually because of the mysterious GnR absence).

Forgetting the others, not a bad haul for a band who had a 360 and JT30 stadium tour within the last decade.

Because let's face it -- for most casual fans that's all they needed to see of U2.

U2 should leave the US at a rest for a couple of years. Then they should come back and dream it all up again. A tour with REM would catapult them to the top of touring artists. A revived ZooTV stadium tour will do as well.

U2 were never going to top this list this year with 59 arena shows, it was never going to happen. They will probably get top ten because they still have the European leg to go

If U2 tour with a reunited REM, I will say “fuck you, work”, kindly kiss my wife and kids goodbye, and follow that shit around the country!!!

U2 were never going to top this list this year with 59 arena shows, it was never going to happen. They will probably get top ten because they still have the European leg to go

Right. Most of the tours on that list are stadiums. Justin Timberlake and Bruno Mars are arenas, but they are doing a zillion shows. Part of the benefit of being young. I remember in 2001 and 2005 when U2 did well over 100 shows. Those days are done, and rightfully so.

U2 should leave the US at a rest for a couple of years. Then they should come back and dream it all up again. A tour with REM would catapult them to the top of touring artists. A revived ZooTV stadium tour will do as well.

I would be very surprised if U2 were to swing back around until at least 2023.

If U2 tour with a reunited REM, I will say “fuck you, work”, kindly kiss my wife and kids goodbye, and follow that shit around the country!!!

First they have to convince REM to get back together. Then convince them to tour. Neither would be easy to say the least.

The question is, would they call the tour Automatic Baby?

Back
Top Bottom