Original chart watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
believe, do u think that the oots single promo was released only for promoting CHICAGO DVD (with the video live on i-tunes) or they will release the single in the Us market or ROW after the Grammy? i don't understand the singles strategy....

Yes I agree

Tallarico said:
believe, do u think that the oots single promo was released only for promoting CHICAGO DVD (with the video live on i-tunes) or they will release the single in the Us market or ROW after the Grammy? i don't understand the singles strategy....

If someone does actually understand the singles strategy, I'd love to hear about it. With the live OOTS video download being pushed by i-tunes, it made sense that this effort would naturally promote the DVD, which is where the profit dollars are, along with the album. However, to redo the song for a good quality studio version, along with an innovative music video, but then not make it available for download or market it, makes no sense to me. It could have been a hit and while that's not a money maker, a BIG hit could have resulted in an even higher push for album sales.

The video has gone awol, and with U2's VH-1 connection, this makes no sense. My only explanation is that COBL got a grammy nod, and for a brief time, it had a relative spike in radio play. U2 has to play something at the Grammies...and OOTS makes sense. Finally, they need a R.O.W. single and video to push the 4th leg & album sales in those countries, so maybe OOTS was held back a bit to coincide with a worldwide release and push.

I guess we are now in Week ?? for OOTS, but the best sources for gaging it's radio play popularity have been stuck on the year-end results for a 2nd week, including Radio and Records and Mediaguide. Mediabase.com continues to show OOTS at #8 on the Triple A Rock chart. ABOY is #17 on the Mainstream Rock Jump chart, with +20 plays on 18 stations! This kinda confirms the pattern for all the singles off of HTDAAB...they stayed just outside of the mainstream charts, but have been steady performers across multiple formats.

As for OOTS, perhaps a stunning Grammy performance, with a worldwide release and a download release in the U.S. might get the song it's due...time will tell.

I'm sure they'll play OOTS at the grammies. They'll have a big orchestra backing them. Maybe they'll lead off the show again like they did with Walk On.

I haven't seen the video ever, so I'm hoping it makes a comeback.

Who really knows what U2's management is doing with their singles.

Week 7 for OOTS

Radio and Records is back up and running. All this info is regarding radio play only. Will start there:

Hot AC (Adult Top 40)
39 on Top 40 chart

Mainstream Rock
32, or #2 on "New and Active" outside of the Top 30

Alternative
54, or #4 on "New and Active" outside of the Top 50

Triple A Rock
8 on the Top 30 chart

On mediabase.com, which is limited to the Top 20 or so for most formats, OOTS maintains it's #8 position on AAA Rock with a bullet.

Mediaguide has been hard to get on to lately, but here's the breakdown for OOTS there for the 1st week in January:

Hot AC
Up 1 spot to 49

Mainstream Rock
Debuted at 37

Triple A Rock
Down 1 to 7

So, for now, OOTS seems to be hanging around, slowly gaining airplay. With a 3rd video set to debut - maybe worldwide this time? - and a grammy performance that's now just over 3 weeks away, the song still has a chance to break into mainstream U.S. radio IMO, and it has already started showing up on some POP station playlists, too. Update next Thursday.

I have a question about charting songs. Is there any site or anything that say a song came out and shows its history on the charts and where its charted the highest or to its lowest or history.

Thanks if you know.

Im very happy Original is touching the charts.

OOTS went into high rotation on VH-1 on Wednesday, and the video will debut on tomorrow's (Saturday, 1-14) Top 20 countdown at #13.

1 Stickwitu The Pussycat Dolls
2 Don't Forget About Us Mariah Carey
3 Nickelback - "Photograph" (from All The Right Reasons)
4 Because of You Kelly Clarkson
5 Check On It Beyonce
6 When I'm Gone Eminem
7 Luxurious Gwen Stefani
8 Better Days Goo Goo Dolls
9 You're Beautiful James Blunt
10 Pretty Vegas INXS
11 Hung Up Madonna
12 Dirty Little Secret The All-American Rejects

13 Original Of The Species U2

14 Heard 'Em Say featuring Adam Levine of Maroon 5 Kanye West
15 Don't Bother Shakira
16 Ever the Same Rob Thomas
17 Perfect Situation Weezer
18 Te Amo Corazon Prince
19 Unwritten Natasha Bedingfield
20 Be Without You Mary J. Blige

Is there an update from billboard? Should be at 38 to 40 on Adult Top 40.

Week 8 for OOTS

bsp77 said:
Is there an update from billboard? Should be at 38 to 40 on Adult Top 40.

Still no OOTS on Billboard. It's close, though, but it's not gaining airplay on any format right now except for AAA Rock and maybe Mainstream Rock. The best indicator of airplay, Radio and Records, looks like this for the current week:

Hot AC Top 40
OOTS up 1 to 38 but w/no increase in plays

AAA Rock Top 30
OOTS up 1 to 7 with a bullet

Mediaguide also has OOTS at 7 this week on AAA Rock, and it comes in at 37 on the Mainstream Rock Top 40 (R&R only shows Top 30) with a bullet.

mediabase.com, which is real time but only shows the Top 20 or so w/o a suscription, also shows OOTS moving up to 7 on Triple A Rock, and the details of this chart show that OOTS is again gaining momentum on this chart after stalling at #8 for several weeks it seems.

On VH1, the video is up 1 spot this week to 12 in what I think is it's 2nd week on the chart.

Overall, the song has been relegated to the usual U2 radio formats. It's only 12 plays out of #4 on the Triple A chart, and it's on the playlist of 24 out of 27 stations monitored by mediabase in major markets. It's stalled out on Adult Top 40 and Mainstream Rock this week. Perhaps a killer performance of OOTS at the Grammies (if they perform?) as well as some big awards will be enough to get the song jumpstarted on U.S. radio. Of course, if they pushed the single version a bit as a download and made it a feature/free song of the week on i-tunes...what's the point of even going there.

Oddly, on a local station called "Electric 94", which is the classic Hot 100 mainstream radio format, OOTS is in high rotation and I've heard it several times just in the last week or so. I have not had the time to check through the playlists of the "Pop" stations monitored by R&R, but maybe OOTS is enough of a Pop song to cross over. Time will tell.

Up and down

U2WaTCher said:
original was wiped out of the HOT AC chart on R and R what the heck happened :(

OOTS did not make it onto BB this week, and it's slipped out of sight on the Adult Top 40/Hot AC charts. It was also sliding down the Triple A Top 20 chart, and as of Monday, I had given up on it.

Today, however, it has picked up 5 new stations and is just outside the Top 20 on the Mainstream Rock format, is back up to 7 or 8 on the Triple A Top 20 with a bullet, and it appears to be on the way back up.

Overall, though, the song has not done very well on U.S. radio and the video may have already peaked on VH1's Top 20 countdown after a two week run. I thought they would play a full orchestra version of OOTS at the Grammies, but now who knows? The song would have probably cracked a few BB charts if they pulled off a great live performance on Feb. 7, especially if it continues to gain momentum as it's done again this week.

http://www.u2place.it/public/forums/index.php?showtopic=19711&st=0

(i think you have to register).....the new mix of OOTS it will be released on I -tunes on 20 february 2006.....and i think it will be released like a single in Europe too.

U2Original[Back].jpg

Last edited:
OOTS hanging around on U.S. Radio

By now everyone knows the sources for U.S. radio play only music charts, so I'll cut to the chase:

In what I think is week 10 for OOTS in the U.S., it reverses course and rises several spots to #4 on the Triple AAA Rock Top 20 chart.

On the Mainstream Rock Top 50, OOTS re-enters the chart this week at #41. This is the songs 3rd appearance on this format.

On VH1, the song video's 4 week run is 13-12-13-14, with a pretty heavy rotation.

That's it for OOTS on the U.S. charts this past week. The thing that's a little unusual, for me anyway, is that I actually hear the song on radio quite often, and I still don't listen to radio that much.

If there is no Grammy performance of the song, not sure it will stay on the few formats where it is being played much longer. I'd like to see it reach #1 on AAA rock, at least. We'll see.

It's official: U2's singles strategy in the US is no strategy:

OOTS debuts this week on iTunes in the UK and other European stores, but not in the US store.

There has been zero new material released in the US either on CD or on iTunes since late 2004, with the exception of the new version of 'One.'

I guess Interscope thinks they can make more money on album sales...

does anybody know if oots charted on vh1s top 20 video countdown this week

Is it even in the video rotation anymore?

Has anyone actually heard this on UK radio? I did request it on Virgin Radio earlier this week, but they did play my request and played One instead. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

Back
Top Bottom