One Direction reportedly set to surpass U2360

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spookyz

The Fly
I know there have been some discussions lately about Led Zeppelin potentially being able to destroy U2360°, so this might be interesting:

One Direction 2014 tour will top $1 billion

ONE Direction are set to smash another record - by launching the world's first $1billion tour.

Huge ticket sales for next year's Where We Are stadium tour have put them on track to surpass rock gods U2 and The Rolling Stones by becoming the first act to break the billion dollar mark (£610million) in a single year.

If that wasn't enough, 1D are also set to eclipse U2's record for average tour attendance which stands at 66,110 for their 2009-2011, 110-show 360° Tour.

U2 and the Stones currently hold the top two spots for onthe-road earnings, raking in £467million and £341million for their 360° and Bigger Bang tours.

Harry, Louis, Liam, Zayn and Niall already have 88 dates booked for 2014 at some of the biggest stadiums in Europe, South America and the US.

Venues that hold 80,000 plus concertgoers have already sold out across the US, as have others across South America and Europe.

One Direction 2014 tour will top $1 billion | Rehab | Showbiz & TV | Daily Star. Simply The Best 7 Days A Week

Although they might end up with the highest grossing tour of the year, there is no way in hell they might surpass $736 million, let alone $1 billion. Ticket prices aren't high enough. Also, stage configuration and seated floors won't allow them to have record-breaking attendance figures. I can't see them "eclipse" the records set by U2 360° in any way.

onozomg.gif

I really wish they would surpass U2. Then the Dublin boys would have to reapply for the Biggest Band in the World title.

"Another Beautiful Day"?

"Elevating"?

"Still Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of"?

"Walked On"?

Sign. Me. Up.

Not a chance of this happening. That is one of the biggest "propaganda" statements ever!

Looks like they will end this 2014 tour with about $300 million, which while incredibly impressive...far short of $737 million(U2s record) and even further from hitting $1 BILLION.

If we add in their 2013 tour gross, it would come to about $415 million over the past two years, which is really amazing but yet again, far short of U2.

Now one could argue that U2 took 30 years as a band to get to where they are as a touring monster and One Direction have been together only ~4 years and that would be a fair point. However, One Direction were marketed as manufactured pop acts often are (commercials, linked to corporations, tv show appearances, etc...) which contributed to their meteoric rise....but numbers are numbers and their numbers are very impressive!

Now I think it is safe to say that this is as big as they will get. They won't be together in 30 years...20 years or even 10 years. Their fan base is not made up of loyal fans but rather children who will get older and move on from this group(see Britney Spears/N'Sync/Backstreet Boys/Etc...).

I would even be willing to bet one of them will be told by their agent/parent/friend/girlfriend/Yoko that "they are bigger than the group" and that they should go off on their own and it will be down hill from there.

At the end of they day the OP article stating that they would top U2 and be the first billion dollar touring act was garbage and still is but I for one am impressed by their touring popularity and they doubled my wildest expectations (when looking at their two year run). Well done young boy band.....well done!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

That's hilarious, that they were that short, after this thread started the way it did :lol:

Back
Top Bottom