NLOTH Week 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very good idea Irishteen. I've posted mine on the thread. Its quite rushed though and most of it isnt in order as I find it very difficult to rank U2 songs against each other.

Very good idea Irishteen. I've posted mine on the thread. Its quite rushed though and most of it isnt in order as I find it very difficult to rank U2 songs against each other.

Thanks for the list, and don't worry about the order, I developed a system for that when I started just to make sure it'd be easier. The results are really interesting so far with several surprises. Then again with only 20 lists in anything could change

What's the official standing on U2's chart success in the billboard 200? Because the website says in its 3rd week it sits at #2.

What's the official standing on U2's chart success in the billboard 200? Because the website says in its 3rd week it sits at #2.

NLOTH's chart run in the U.S. ha been 1-3-2. With a bunch of new releases this week, there will be a drop. However, note that if another album sells just one copy more than NLOTH, it will be ranked higher. So NLOTH could drop from 2-9, but still have reasonable sales. Hence chart positions by themselves tell a limited story. Still, the album has remained one of the top selling albums of the past few weeks. It is the best selling new release this year in the U.S. and the second best selling album of the year. Worldwide, it is the top selling album for this year.

Of course, it is just March and this is only after 3 weeks. I'm sure other albums will compete against it (like Eminem's upcoming release). And the fact that it has hit such heights in only three weeks is also an indication of a weak CD sales market. Any CD that can break out, like a U2 release, will automatically be one of the best of the year after just a few weeks.

Nonetheless, despite the weak economy and weak CD sales market, the album is doing well. Hasn't fallen out of the Top 10 in the major markets across the globe as it enters into its 4th week.

:sad: Final from Hits:

#12 (#3) U2 INTERSCOPE 25,121 -68% NO LINE ON THE HORIZON

i dont understand the massive % drop. and hits predictions of 50k were well out!

may not be #1 on mediatraffic this friday.

on a second look, nearly everyone had big drogs, KC 62% and lady gaga and taylor swift 28% and 31% respectively. infact nearly everyone - KOL, nickleback, beyonce, pink, the fray, kid rock, kanye to name but a few.

also there were 7 new entries above U2. taking out the new entries and the soundtrack, U2 would be at a very respectable #4.

with sales so close hopefully billboard will have a few hundred more U2 sales and move it up a position or two.

any ideas why the big drops across the board this week?

Can that be right??!!!! That was the number when Hits was reporting roughly 65%. Doesn't seem possible. :huh:

i think you may be right, its changed to final, but positions and sales do look very similar to at 69% in.

from Hits:

The album chart is temporarily unavailable due to technical difficulties...
please check back later.

Hits has now updated...much better news!

U2's NLOTH comes in at #6 with sales of 51,502.

Great sales for this week, would be number 2 if there were no new releases

Will actually be 5 on billboard this week!

Sorry for the duplicate of information with my post...but I do think NLOTH's performance this week is encouraging. Out of the Top 20, 13 of this weeks albums are debuts. Plus, if these numbers hold up with Billboard/Soundscan, for U2 to move ahead of Kelly Clarkson in week #2 for her album is a pretty amazing considering the U.S. taste in music these days. She has the benefit of a huge hit single, along with this country's fascination/love affair with American Idol, yet U2 is able outsell her already in just her 2nd week.

Overall sales are disappointing, I know, but relatively speaking, NLOTH may be finding it's legs after all. If Dr. Who's prediction of the album settling into a steady sales pace of between 20-50k per week, then the tour and future singles might just be able to keep this album floating in the Top 20 for quite a while. Comparing sales to HTDAAB, or any past album, really is not realistic given the U.S./Worldwide Economic downturn. More relevant comparisons would probably come from comparing NLOTH to it's current competition.

I read the entire reviews of NLOTH from Rolling Stone, Blender, and Q Magazine earlier today. While there have been a handful of reviews that were negative on NLOTH, the larger publications, including USA Today, have really shown a lot of love for the album. A couple have even suggested that over time, NLOTH may just turn out to be considered as U2's best album EVER.

I'm sure that's a topic that would generate some lively disagreements, but for me personally, I have not listened to an entire album this much since AB came out...and I didn't really appreciate the full album listening experience with AB until AFTER I saw Zoo TV. The point of this rambling is that, IMHO, this album is among U2's best, and it could very well have a long run on the charts as word gets around. I can see it following a very similar path to AB's chart run, as so far, much of the reaction from critics, the choice for 1st single, the incredible interest in the tour, etc., has me feeling much like I did about AB back in 1991/1992. Hard to believe that was nearly 20 years ago, and that for a lot of people, U2's peak came 5 years prior to that with The Joshua Tree.

beLIEve: It's actually week 3 for Clarkson's CD, not week two.

While there was a drop again, you can see that the sales are starting to level. This album is not having huge drops down the chart ("Pop" was out of the Top 10 by week 4). So it will probably linger in the range I predicted for a while, barring a hit song to boost it.

I also agree with your JT comments. To me, JT wasn't that accessible of an album. Timing was just right for U2 to break out - and the first single was huge. It does make me wonder if U2 had chosen "Magnificent" first, what would have happened with NLOTH (would there be a difference right now?). I still believe that had "Staring at the Sun" been the first single from "Pop", things would have been different there as well.

The good news is that since GOYB was a smaller hit, it wasn't over-exposed like "Discotheque". So people don't hate the song or the album because of it. In fact, my friend hadn't ever heard GOYB before and felt it was one of the better tracks on the album! My point is like JT and AB, this album could stick around for a while as more and more people discover it.

Ok, this may be a stupid question- but I just went to Billboard's website and they list NLOTH as #2- so is u2's chart run in the US so far

1-3-2-6

and if so what do we have as far as weekly sales- doctor who- I always enjoy your posts- could you help me out?

Thanks!!

According to billboard.biz :
Last week's No. 1, Kelly Clarkson's "All I Ever Wanted," falls to No. 5 with 52,000 (down 43%). U2's "No Line on the Horizon" slips from No. 2 to No. 6 with 51,000 (down 33%).

Ok, this may be a stupid question- but I just went to Billboard's website and they list NLOTH as #2- so is u2's chart run in the US so far

1-3-2-6

Thanks!!

Billboard doesn't update the chart until Thursday, however the results are known Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

nloth down to n.2 on mediatraffic with 185.000 copies. total on mediatraffic is 2.150.000 copies sold. the real amount is 2.310.000 because mediatraffic coverage only 92,5& of copies sold.

nloth down to n.2 on mediatraffic with 185.000 copies. total on mediatraffic is 2.150.000 copies sold. the real amount is 2.310.000 because mediatraffic coverage only 92,5& of copies sold.

with a 29% drop. hopefulyl sales can start levelling off.

not bad, with 3 more singles and a soldout tour I'm sure NLOTH will go to 5-6mlns worldwide :up:

Best selling albums released in 2009

1. U2 No Line On The Horizon 2.150.000
2. Bruce Springsteen Working On A Dream 1.284.000
3. Lily Allen It's Not Me, It's You 664.500
4. Kelly Clarkson All I Ever Wanted 599.000
5. The Fray The Fray 557.000
6. Franz Ferdinand Tonight: Franz Ferdinand 469.500
7. The Prodigy Invaders Must Die 461.000
8. Soundtrack Slumdog Millionaire 459.000
9. Les Enfoirés Les Enfoirés Font Leur Cinéma 2009 417.000
10. Annie Lennox The Collection 249.000

Best Selling Albums in 2009
3. Beyoncé I Am... Sasha Fierce 1.180.000
4. Kings Of Leon Only By The Night 1.124.000
5. Soundtrack Twilight 1.071.000
6. Lady Gaga The Fame 1.057.000
7. Taylor Swift Fearless 1.021.000
8. Pink Funhouse 902.000
9. Britney Spears Circus 892.500
10. Nickelback Dark Horse 868.000

Exactly

Best selling albums released in 2009

3. Lily Allen It's Not Me, It's You 664.500
4. Kelly Clarkson All I Ever Wanted 599.000
5. The Fray The Fray 557.000
6. Franz Ferdinand Tonight: Franz Ferdinand 469.500
7. The Prodigy Invaders Must Die 461.000
8. Soundtrack Slumdog Millionaire 459.000
9. Les Enfoirés Les Enfoirés Font Leur Cinéma 2009 417.000
10. Annie Lennox The Collection 249.000

Best Selling Albums in 2009
3. Beyoncé I Am... Sasha Fierce 1.180.000
4. Kings Of Leon Only By The Night 1.124.000
5. Soundtrack Twilight 1.071.000
6. Lady Gaga The Fame 1.057.000
7. Taylor Swift Fearless 1.021.000
8. Pink Funhouse 902.000
9. Britney Spears Circus 892.500
10. Nickelback Dark Horse 868.000

There you have it. I've said before you just can't compare U2's current sales with past albums due to the economic environment. It has to be compared to the current competition, and it's the biggest worldwide seller of 2009 by a 2-1 margin. It may not end the year that way, but all things considered, U2 are doing just fine. People can get the album for free easier than ever, but look at the concert ticket sales. I don't believe there is another act on the planet that can sellout stadiums, from 50,000 to 100,000 each in most cases, in a matter of hours...or even minutes...in countries all over the globe. Thanks to U2.com, I've got mine!

Back
Top Bottom