NLOTH Week 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 down to fifth in today's midweeks...album's falling fast...

Of course is gonna fall fast at the moment! they has done all the publicity a few weeks ago and now don't have any songs on radios playlists!

Should get a surge at the weekend though with tickets on sale for the gigs on Friday

Whose above them?, it was number 4 yesterday, so its moved down 1 place but yet you say its "falling fast"?

About that HTDAAB sold more, well that was in 2004 and back then it was less illegal downloading...

Mainstream bubblegum listners don't like music that is in MOS, NLOTH, GOYB, Fez, WAS and COL.

Albums

1 Ronan Keating (New release, Mother's Day)
2 Annie Lennox (Released last week)
3 Kings Of Leon (Released months ago)
4 Faryl (Released last week)
5 U2

1 place in a day is a pretty fast rate seeing as it was one last week

Pop v2.0 :reject:

To be fair:
A) its a terrible economy
B) its a terrible time of year
C) the first single's release was botched (video took too long)
D) its a terrible economy

Trust me when I say the economy is making a difference. I'm sure sales for Movies and Music is down and piracy is up. It really hurt my wallet spending $35 for the Limited Edition NLOTH. I had to think long and hard about it. Before the economy went to the crapper I probably would have bought the most expensive version of NLOTH, but I was almost ready to settle for the bare bones album now. A less nutty U2 fan probably would be satisfied with downloaded MP3s.

i think maybe boots was released to radio a good few weeks too early. how many albums can stay top 5 without a song on the radio?

Albums

1 Ronan Keating (New release, Mother's Day)
2 Annie Lennox (Released last week)
3 Kings Of Leon (Released months ago)
4 Faryl (Released last week)
5 U2

1 place in a day is a pretty fast rate seeing as it was one last week

Ronan Keating and Annie Lennox where always going to be ahead of U2 this week with mothers day etc, kings of leon have the brits album of the year behind them, and are on tour, and Faryl, U2 sold more in its first week than she will probably sell in 2,

theres still 3 days left in sales,

And i have just seen yet another KOL advertisement on the TV, which i have been seeing for the past month or so, but yet have only seen 1 ad by U2 which was aired the week the album was released, the band really dont seem to concerned with promotion, unless they are waiting until they release magnificent and the tour.

But the thing is with KOL they've already sold more than a million and they're already outselling U2 again

We dont know that yet? there are still 3 days of retail left, do you have any numbers showing how much is in it?, KOL are the "in" band at the minute with pretty much everybody, they have album of the year, they are advertising on TV alot more than U2, they are currently on tour (or just come off tour?), they have 2 massive hit singles (the 3rd seems to being doing not so well?), so of course they are going to be outselling U2,

It will be interesting to see what happens when Magnificent is released over here, it seems to be doing quite well upto now in the US.

I think the only thing that can save this album is if Magnificent becomes a big hit--That is the only song that could catch on--if not the sales for this album will not be very good in the US.

Crazy is the calculated move that will fall like a brick--My one problem with this album is that they didn't go "all the way"--Crazy and SUC, well, suck--and they're not even going to work on radio--People can talk all they want about Elevation, Vertigo, Walk On et al.--these are great U2 pop songs--Crazy is almost like an SNL parody of a U2 pop song.

Lastly, they should have partnered with Apple again--that is what capitulated Bomb and VLV.

I think the only thing that can save this album is if Magnificent becomes a big hit--That is the only song that could catch on--if not the sales for this album will not be very good in the US.

Crazy is the calculated move that will fall like a brick--My one problem with this album is that they didn't go "all the way"--Crazy and SUC, well, suck--and they're not even going to work on radio--People can talk all they want about Elevation, Vertigo, Walk On et al.--these are great U2 pop songs--Crazy is almost like an SNL parody of a U2 pop song.

Lastly, they should have partnered with Apple again--that is what capitulated Bomb and VLV.

I don't know if Crazy and SUC will be hits or not, but I completely disagree with your view of them. I also feel Crazy is a perfect pop hit. That song blends in so well with ATYCLB, it seems to be a leftover. If people like that sound, then they'll love Crazy. SUC is a bit more risky, but at best, it'll be a fourth single. Fourth singles - barring rare exceptions - don't do much for any album other than remind people the album is out there. "In God's Country" was the 4th single from JT and it didn't even break the Top 40 (and this was for JT!).

A slow first single also doesn't mean "death" for an album. We all know what "The Fly" did. Also, one of the best selling albums of all time, "Thriller" by Michael Jackson, actually released "The Girl Is Mine" - a duet with Paul McCartney - as the first single. Despite the chart position, the song was viewed as weak and faded fast. Listeners immediately felt "Thriller" would be a disappointment. However, as we all know, the second and third singles paved the way (just as they did for AB).

So I'm not giving up on NLOTH yet. :no:

I kind of agree with you on Crazy with respect to ATYCLB--my main problem with Crazy is how the lyrics influence the feel of the song for me--they are by the cheesiest, Britney-esque lyrics I have ever heard from Bono--they just plain bug me--I find that a lot on this album, but Crazy is wall to wall crap, lyrically. and while the sound is very ATYCLB (an album I love, and like more than NLOTH), it just seems easy and recycled.

SUC bothers me lyrically as well--and I also find it to have a Rolling Stones-y hack 60 year old "rocker" feel to it. These two songs just feel too "by the numbers" for me--

It doesn't sound like anything else, but it sounds forced, tired, and calculated to me--especially the riff. I do think it will be interesting live--especially the end with the humming/"love, love, love"

I agree with Blue Room (again) for the most part, I like 'Crazy' in spite of myself, and feel it will do well as a single. That said, I think it is calculated, clearly U2 were thinking "we need another single here" on its late inclusion, and sounds more 2000's U2 than anything else on the record (generally, not a good thing). But the steep slide and weak numbers thus far are two negative forces: the general lousiness of "BOMB", which had a lifespan of about 1 month for most people and used up a lot of the goodwill that U2 had earned via ATYCLB/Beautiful Day/Grammies/Super Bowl, and the 2nd factor which was a turd of a first single in "Boots". Arguably the worst thing on the whole album, the song is just a tired Vertigo/Fast Cars rehash with some heavy borrowing from Elvis Costello and The Escape Club. The verdict is in: the public has flat out rejected it. I can't say they were wrong on this one.

I think Magnificent and Crazy as singles 2 and 3 will revive the album and the tour/ticket sales outta boost it. So too early to write the death knell for the album. At least it is an uptick creatively for U2 from the last two records.

It doesn't sound like anything else, but it sounds forced, tired, and calculated to me--especially the riff. I do think it will be interesting live--especially the end with the humming/"love, love, love"

I like SUC so much better than All because of you but it´s not as good as Love and peace or else, just to mention two recent rockers from the irish foursome.

Great point--SUC is in the same vein as ABOY and LAPOE--I think they both blow away SUC.

LAPOE was so amazing live--One show I saw at Staples (I believe the 1st Leg) started with LAPOE--amazing stagecraft.

For the people who keep blaming poor album sales on "the economy", how does this translate into ticket sales in the U.S. when the tour gets underway? Tour tickets will cost at least 3x the price of the album...

Lets put the blame where it really lies, the US has brutal taste in music as a whole plain and simple. The album will be fine having said that.

Are the numbers physical sales only? If so, how do we know how many copies of the album were downloaded say from amazon, ITUNES, etc. to help factor in with the real #? The album will pick up again with the new single to radio, but the tour will be the real kickstart, then the grammys next year, restart of the tour, etc.

Lets put the blame where it really lies, the US has brutal taste in music as a whole plain and simple. The album will be fine having said that.

100% correct--and the state of radio is even worse--That is why I believe U2 needs to forget about constructing radio friendly songs--Make a great record, and the sales will follow. Viva La Vida proved this. All of U2's best hits are effortless--I find the pop stuff on NLOTH to be a bit transparent and forced.

100% correct--and the state of radio is even worse--That is why I believe U2 needs to forget about constructing radio friendly songs--Make a great record, and the sales will follow. Viva La Vida proved this. All of U2's best hits are effortless--I find the pop stuff on NLOTH to be a bit transparent and forced.

I don´t think Viva la vida is the best example of a great record. It´s a good record at best.
And let´s be honest the vast majority of VLV sales came from the success of the single.

Back
Top Bottom