NLOTH Week 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They'll be off the top next week, it's mother's day week some cheesy ballads album that no self-respecting mother would ever listen to will top the charts

Ronan Keating is releasing Songs for my Mother...let us all cry

aww ye of course! i did see that, cashing in on mothers day, the shame of it!

From HITS:

YOUR WEAKEND TOP 10 CHART PREVIEW: Our Friday projection for next week’s chart looks as encouraging as the stock market this week…as long as you stop looking after the top three titles. After that, the drop-off is steep, to say the least. Here’s the snapshot:

Kelly Clarkson (RCA/RMG debut) 220-230k
U2 (Interscope) 150-160k
The-Dream (Def Jam/IDJ debut) 140-150k
J. Holiday (Capitol debut) 55-60k
Taylor Swift (Big Machine) 45-50k
Lady GaGa (Interscope) 40-45k
Nickelback (Roadrunner) 30-35k
Beyonce (Music World/Columbia) 25-30k
Jamie Foxx (J/RMG) 25-30k
The Fray (Epic) 25-30k
New Found Glory (Epitaph debut) 25-30k

nearly a 70% drop predicted. ouch!

From HITS:

YOUR WEAKEND TOP 10 CHART PREVIEW: Our Friday projection for next week’s chart looks as encouraging as the stock market this week…as long as you stop looking after the top three titles. After that, the drop-off is steep, to say the least. Here’s the snapshot:

U2 (Interscope) 150-160k
The Fray (Epic) 25-30k

:|

From HITS:

U2 (Interscope) 150-160k
The Fray (Epic) 25-30k

Blame all this on BOOTS!!!!!

From HITS:

U2 (Interscope) 150-160k
The Fray (Epic) 25-30k

"who dropped the ball?" but really, this was expected. the trouble starts next week when U2 fails to sell 75k

Oh please God let this not happen :|

I am disappointed at the big second week drop. I anticipated 200K, which I felt was already low.

Still, given how album sales seem to work these days, NLOTH may very well drop to 75K next week.

But then we may see a leveling off. NLOTH may sell between 20-50K for a long time. This can be influenced by new singles and the tour. And that slow, but steady pace does add up. This is mostly how ATYCLB went on to sell 4.2M copies in the U.S.

Surley to god this just shows how far album sales have actually falled rather than how much of a "flop" the album is etc etc? i mean if U2 can outsell 2 new entries, one an established act, and another a fav amongst the teeny brigade in its second week, surley thats good right?, i mean even in the US, ok its seen a massive fall, but its not like they have dropped a massive amount of places in the chart is it?,

I think its more a sign of the times rather than what some people are claiming as a flop,

It really baffles me how some people on this forum constantley look for the negative.

72% drop is terrible, at least it held the top spot though (only the 4th U2 album to do so after UF, JT & Bomb) & it's Platinum now (at least 300k shipped on sales of 202,187). Boots out of top 50 airplay...

But i keep banging on about it, to still sell more than 2 new releases in your second week is still good, imo the numbers just show how far album sales have actually fallen,

are all those numbers just CD sales?
what about legal downloads, amazonMP3, iTunes etc,?
there must thousands of mp3s legally downloaded, how do they add up to album's place on the charts?

But i keep banging on about it, to still sell more than 2 new releases in your second week is still good, imo the numbers just show how far album sales have actually fallen,

Yeah but regardless of the overall market a 72% 2nd week drop is still high - the latest Oasis album dropped 72% in it's 2nd week too (from 200k to 56k) & that dropped fast.

without a hot single, u2 will be out of the top ten in the US in the next couple of weeks. magnificent isn't gonna cut it.

this album was supposed to "save" the music industry. in this regard, it's a flop already.

That's a bad drop, although I was expecting just under 70, I thought it would sell at least 50,000 this week. Hopefully it levels off, another big drop and it will start flying down the charts. Magnificent needs airplay now

Right now, according to Hits Daily Double in the US

With 36.2% in...

1. Kelly Clarkson 71,000
2. The Dream 48,000
3. Taylor Swift 26,000
4. U2 26,000

Don't freak out yet guys, remember how much NLOTH picked up in the second half of reports last week. You can't predict the final numbers from these because it varies a lot as you get more and more reports.

Don't matter how much you say it. Don't freak out isn't an option. :wink:

I know it's difficult! But I'm pretty sure it was Hits Daily Double who predicted U2 would be in the 150-160k range (and #2) and they are usually very accurate. Their initial data suggested 400-450k for NLOTH and U2 exceeded their expectations so there's no reason why we should think that 150-160 is inaccurate at this point.

Deep breath in....exhale... :wink:

without a hot single, u2 will be out of the top ten in the US in the next couple of weeks. magnificent isn't gonna cut it.

this album was supposed to "save" the music industry. in this regard, it's a flop already.

What's with the negativity? Do you want it to fail? If so, perhaps it's time you take a break from U2 and this forum. It strikes me as odd that a fan would want U2 to fail, even if you are not a fan of this album (I personally can't stop listening to it - which is something I haven't done since AB).

Also, I recall NO reports stating that NLOTH was to "save" the music industry. It was, however, expected that after the initial burst, NLOTH would remain a steady seller for a while. It's far too early to tell if that will happen, but note that ATYCLB spent a grand total of three weeks in the U.S. Top 10 (if I recall correctly). And yet, it's slow but steady pace of sales eventually led it to 4.2M copies sold. The current climate (both economic and music) will most likely preclude those numbers - after all, the top selling album in the U.S. last year didn't even reach 3M! But 2M may still be possible, and I feel that is a success.

Additionally, "Magnificent" was just released to radio. It's just now gaining some airplay time. It may or may not be a hit, but the fact that it charted in the Hot 100 last week gave NLOTH two Hot 100 hits - something that HTDAAB was unable to accomplish.

Lastly, even if this album reaches "Pop" type numbers, is that so bad? Again, given the economic and music climate of today's world, 1.5M copies is pretty good! U2 have nothing left to prove.

This album won't be reaching Pop type numbers though. If the returns continue in the current fashion, it'll have barely passed the 500K mark going into a third week where it might sell as low as 15K. Really, color me shocked if this album manages to succeed a million in Soundscan sales.

Back
Top Bottom