NLOTH. Week 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its 4x as much as #2 and has sold more than the top 10 combined.

Oh oh the world is ending Japan didnt buy 2 copies of the album :)

No shocker U2 has never been a huge band there and this has always been the case even back in their most popular days.

"Viva la vida" Japan first week sales:38,573
Japan second week sales:44,601
Japan third week sales:41,369
Japan fourth week sales:30,245

Oh oh the world is ending Japan didnt buy 2 copies of the album :)

No shocker U2 has never been a huge band there and this has always been the case even back in their most popular days.

Selling less than half of the last album isn't something you can just write off though

it depends how sales hold in the future though, if they stay more or less constant like Viva La Vida then the album will sell fine if not...it's not a good sign

I-tunes

well from the 22 ccharts listed NLOTH is number one in 20 - and in the Uk and Oz two and thre in each, so combined probably one ! Mike:wave:

BBC reporting that Viva La Vida sold 125,000 copies first day back in June...

NLOTH not looking strong in comparison.

I like VLV a lot, but NLOTH is the superior album.

Either way both launched outside the Christmas season yet VLV somehow DOUBLED NLOTH's performance - this despite the massive BBC promotion.

that is not surprising to me
Coldplay are much more popular band today....in terms of popular culture of the moment.
U2 never had the best selling album of the year. Oasis outsold them in UK couple of times if I'm not mistaken. There was always some pop or rock band that was the band of the moment/day/year...
and today Coldplay is loved by many, and liked by many more... U2 are either loved or not...so what is missing is that population that will buy album just because they think that it might be good. Or at least that population is small...

Coldplay are still young and didn't have enough time jet to make many people hate them as U2 did :)

NLOTH is already Platinum in Poland
(20.000, yeah it is really low for a "platinum" title, but that's how album sales look like over here now)
Released 27.02, so with a few more days in sales it's a safe No.1 for this week

:wave:

X&Y outsold Bomb like two times over in the UK. Why is it surprising Coldplay would outsell U2 there again?

Everywhere outside the UK and Ireland are better to compare

HITS Daily Double

This is a site I "troll" for sales info (which many of you may already know of). Any how, there is a U2 artical that reads some insiders have 1st week US sales over/under at 500K. While that is a huge number, I hope it is higher (greed is a sin, I know) since Bomb opened at 840K. Im hoping US sales of 750K + (wishful thinking...perhaps) and WorldWide sales of 2 million (I dont think that is too far reaching).

Also, another great WorldWide sales site I "troll" is GLOBAL TRACK CHART

Coldplays VLV opened with 1.585 million (this was actually its 2nd week since the 1st week it had 359k...must have been a limited release)

HITS Daily Double

This is a site I "troll" for sales info (which many of you may already know of). Any how, there is a U2 artical that reads some insiders have 1st week US sales over/under at 500K. While that is a huge number, I hope it is higher (greed is a sin, I know) since Bomb opened at 840K. Im hoping US sales of 750K + (wishful thinking...perhaps) and WorldWide sales of 2 million (I dont think that is too far reaching).

Also, another great WorldWide sales site I "troll" is GLOBAL TRACK CHART

Coldplays VLV opened with 1.585 million (this was actually its 2nd week since the 1st week it had 359k...must have been a limited release)

One last thing...Bomb opened up with 1.85 million per mediatraffic (granted it was a holiday week but thats pretty sweet).

Keep in mind only sixacts have managed over a million worldwide in a week in the last 3 years with AC/DC(apparently) being the highest

GOYB is not "Vertigo". U2's promotion via TV appearances is strong, but not constant, like the iPod/iTunes commercial. NLOTH leaked and it's proven to be not as accessible of an album (i.e., no catchy instant singles). Over four years later, more people have high speed 'net connections, so more chances of illegal downloads.

Bottom line, NLOTH won't see HTDAAB sales its first week.

However, ATYCLB didn't see those types of numbers either - and it wound up outselling HTDAAB by over 1 million copies in the U.S. and two to three million worldwide!

AB only saw sales of 295K its first week in the U.S., just enough to get to #1. This was during U2's "peak" too! Based on that info., I bet many of us would have wondered if AB would flop. Yet, it went on to be certified as 8x Platinum in the U.S. and is U2's second biggest selling album.

So don't put too much stock into first day or first week sales just yet.

That said, I do see this album dropping off in sales. Coldplay is the new "big thing" - at least in the U.K. But I highly doubt they'd sell out several stadium shows in minutes there.

Doc- I have been around this forum for several years (officially since 2004 but I was "trolling" well before that) and you're the one poster in all that time that I have always found informative and accurate. With that said, I do believe you are 99.99% right but Im still going to keep my fingers crossed for that .01%:sexywink:

Doc- I have been around this forum for several years (officially since 2004 but I was "trolling" well before that) and you're the one poster in all that time that I have always found informative and accurate. With that said, I do believe you are 99.99% right but Im still going to keep my fingers crossed for that .01%:sexywink:

I take the good with the bad. :wink:

For example:

The good: the iPod/iTunes commercial gave massive exposure to U2 - making "Vertigo" a hit and giving monster first week sales to HTDAAB. The bad: U2 was in a commercial, for which they received a lot of flack.

The bad: No commercial this time. The good: lots of TV promotion. This TV promotion is at the right time and is gaining U2 lots of exposure just as the album is released.

The bad: GOYB not a big hit song. The good: most people consider GOYB to be one of the weaker tracks on NLOTH, suggesting a second single out-performing the first. This worked very well for AB ("Mysterious Ways" and "One" become huge hit songs, especially in the U.S.). This strategy (strong second and third singles) may work well for NLOTH too.

As I've written before, I felt with ATYCLB U2 needed a hit album. If that "flopped", then U2 risked being one of those "formerly big bands" as "Pop" didn't sell well either. But ATYCLB was a huge hit, and U2 backed that up with HTDAAB. Tons of Grammy awards later, U2 have nothing to prove. So now, NLOTH doesn't need to be a huge hit. Good hit is enough. If people don't like it - too bad. It doesn't matter. U2 has left their mark. :yes:

And regardless of total sales, I'm near positive we'll see another #1 on both sides of the Atlantic. And that's good!

Near positive? Barring the apocalypse its a slam dunk in the UK and the US, most of the world for that matter.

It will be intersting to see how the numbers flow when more people hear the album that may be living under a rock but I still dont think a lot of people that arent following music at the moment know that U2 have an album out :)

Back
Top Bottom