NLOTH. Week 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guys there is still ALOT of date to come in, if i remember correctly from the last album, the big numbers dont start rolling in until tomorrow,

everything on this forum is such a panic!

For HTDAAB, sales were predicted to be anywhere from 750K to 900K.

Initial numbers, from HITS, suggested 600-700K (or even lower) if one extrapolated. Some journalists, not familiar with HITS, were laughing at U2's "low" sales.

Of course, final numbers came in at 850K - so on the high end of the predictions.

It seems logical to extrapolate (33% has 100K, so 300K total), but that's not how this system works.

HITS themselves predicted 400-450K. I'd stick with that until proven otherwise.

As I have said before a better measuring stick will be to see how this album performs over the next 12-18 months.

Not everybody is going to stop what they are doing in life to buy a CD on the first day or even the first week...it was mostly hardcore fans going and buying the CD this week and that is fine too...you cant compare U2 to the U2 of the past the market is different and generally the age group is different. How much is U2 ahead of second place is a better indication.

How to dismantle an atomic bomb sold near 200k in november 2004:
- in the last 3 months of the year the music market is up 40-50% comparing the rest of the year...
- Bomb had a big first single, No Line not...

but the question is if the difference in music market nov-march also counts for a U2 album. I don't believe NLOTH would have sold 2 times as much if it was released in november...

In Netherlands, NLOTH is number 1, and accounts for 33% of TOTAL album sales of the complete TOP100. number 3 (Adele-19; week 4) sold 16% of NLOTH-numbers...

so for mediatraffic the real 1st week so far are: uk 157928, australia 29.963,ireland around 20k,holland around 40k,brazil around 40k,italy 35-40k,.for those 6 nations 327k around.:up:

but the question is if the difference in music market nov-march also counts for a U2 album. I don't believe NLOTH would have sold 2 times as much if it was released in november...

You´re forgetting about the ever dwindling album sales (since 2000 at least). How much has the market retracted from 2004 up to know?
I guess around 20-25%.
I reckon that taking into account both factors, i.e., season variation and retraction of the market, the figures for NLOTH are kind of tantamount to those of Bomb. If the new album ends up selling 400-450 K that is.

ok make a list of countries where its no 1

1. UK
2. Germany
3. Ireland
4. Belguim
5. Holland

Please add

ok make a list of countries where its no 1

1. UK
2. Germany
3. Ireland
4. Belguim
5. Holland

Please add

France .. and U2.com lists some more, incl Japan - where i thought it was 4 (maybe they are being liberal in which chart eg Import acts sales ?) Mike

Hits daily double, NOW IN: 50.65% :

1 U2 NO LINE ON THE HORIZON : 179,981

Still appears to be very low (although as we know this can change)

still its outselling the rest of the top 20 combined, and 5 times that if the #1 album (albeit thats already been at #1 for many weeks) depending on how kelly clarkson does next week, i think the doors open for U2 to have a long stay at the top spot.

still its outselling the rest of the top 20 combined, and 5 times that if the #1 album (albeit thats already been at #1 for many weeks) depending on how kelly clarkson does next week, i think the doors open for U2 to have a long stay at the top spot.

Still I hadn't realised how low sales generally are in the US these days. I guess Europe really is now U2's biggest market in CD sales and live tickets Mike:wave:

The number of album sales coming in in the latest batch has increased significantly.

The first # we had was 99,510 sold with 36.2% reporting for an average of 2,749 for each additional percent that came in.

Now we are at 50.65% and 179,981 sold. That means that since the first batch, we've had 14.45% come in with 80,471 sold which is a rate of 5,569 for each additional percent.

So the rate coming in has increased a lot since we last heard :up::D

This might not be so bad after all.

U2 will probably only sell about a third as many copies next week, so I would think Kelly Clarkson should easily top that.

The number of album sales coming in in the latest batch has increased significantly.

The first # we had was 99,510 sold with 36.2% reporting for an average of 2,749 for each additional percent that came in.

Now we are at 50.65% and 179,981 sold. That means that since the first batch, we've had 14.45% come in with 80,471 sold which is a rate of 5,569 for each additional percent.

So the rate coming in has increased a lot since we last heard :up::D

This might not be so bad after all.

okay - so your prediction is what ? Mike

No 1

1. UK
2. Germany
3. Ireland
4. Belguim
5. Holland
6. France
7. Japan
8. Australia
9. Italy
10. Hungary
11. Poland

okay - so your prediction is what ? Mike

No idea. All I know is that the rate has gotten much better from those initial numbers. Impossible to make a prediction at this point I think if the numbers keep changing. I still agree with Doctorwho that we should expect 400-450k because that's what Hits DD predicted, but I'm always optimistic and am hoping for more :wink:

No idea. All I know is that the rate has gotten much better from those initial numbers. Impossible to make a prediction at this point I think if the numbers keep changing. I still agree with Doctorwho that we should expect 400-450k because that's what Hits DD predicted, but I'm always optimistic and am hoping for more :wink:

Im pushing for 500k but maybe 400k is what we are looking at.

U2 have almost outsold the rest of the top 50 albums combined. Comparing previous albums to this one is comparing apples to oranges...comparing apples to apples U2 is dominating the charts nobody else is even close...

If there is no major releases this week they can certainly be #1 again.

I would say its very impressive actually.

Alright I haven't seen any new Hits DD updates so I did a little math about potential scenarios because I have nothing better to do...

If we assume that the overall "rate" that the sales come in at stays about the same as it's been overall (meaning fluctuating between higher and lower), we are currently on pace for about 355k total in the US.

If we assume that the CURRENT "rate" (meaning the most recent one, which was significantly higher than the initial numbers) holds the rest of the time, then we would theoretically be on pace for 455k in the US.

If we think that the current rate might actually increase towards the second half even more than it already has, then we could see even more than that and maybe even close to or above 500k.

That being said, I have no idea which scenario is more likely :D

U2 have almost outsold the rest of the top 50 albums combined. Comparing previous albums to this one is comparing apples to oranges...comparing apples to apples U2 is dominating the charts nobody else is even close...

If there is no major releases this week they can certainly be #1 again.

I would say its very impressive actually.

When is Kelly Clarkson´s latest abomination coming out? Heard it´s being released next week. If so, there´s no chance for U2 to hold number one.

Alright I haven't seen any new Hits DD updates so I did a little math about potential scenarios because I have nothing better to do...

If we assume that the overall "rate" that the sales come in at stays about the same as it's been overall (meaning fluctuating between higher and lower), we are currently on pace for about 355k total in the US.

If we assume that the CURRENT "rate" (meaning the most recent one, which was significantly higher than the initial numbers) holds the rest of the time, then we would theoretically be on pace for 455k in the US.

If we think that the current rate might actually increase towards the second half even more than it already has, then we could see even more than that and maybe even close to or above 500k.

That being said, I have no idea which scenario is more likely :D

Maybe doctorwho would remember this better but I´m pretty sure that during the HTDAAB days major retailer chains reported on Tuesday. If so, U2 will definitely perform better tomorrow. Also, when Hits states "30% in" it doesn´t mean 30% of total sales has been reported. Rather, it's 30% of retailers.

Back
Top Bottom