NLOTH vs 21st century / Relapse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Native_Son

Acrobat
As we have a NLOTH vs VLV thread, i thought we could discuss how Greenday & Eminems new albums sell in comparison to NLOTH.

Hits has Eminems first week US sales of 601k more than the 484k ish of U2, but on the brightside it seems about the same % above NLOTH that Encore was above HTDAAB 4-5 years ago, so this is good news for U2.

Greendays 2nd week (first full week) 163k (down 26%) seems reasonable enough, lower than NLOTH's 132k copies in week 2, even though NLOTH had already been on sale a full week by then.
Unless Greenday hit the big time with their next single on a scale of Boulevard, VLV, then I can't seen 21st Century outselling Horizon.

Eminem, as others have already stated elsewhere, will likely surpass NLOTH's 900k in the next 2 weeks in the States. It will be interesting to see how well Relapse holds up.

Now we just have to sit back and wait for all of those who feel the need to come into 'peeling off those dollar bills' and have a moan about us discussing sales. yawn

Hits has Eminems first week US sales of 601k more than the 484k ish of U2, but on the brightside it seems about the same % above NLOTH that Encore was above HTDAAB 4-5 years ago, so this is good news for U2.

Its hard to say that for sure because Encore was released with only a 3 day week in which it sold 711,000. The following 7 days after that saw 978,000 in sales. If sales are spread out evenly which usually does not happen, Encore would have about 1.01 million for its first 6 days vs. 839,000 for BOMB. But if sales for days 4, 5, and 6 were closer to the first 3 or equal, then it would be 1,422,000 for Encore's first 6 days which would be 66% more than Bomb's 839,000 and a wider margin than the current 24% that Relapse leads NLOTH.

Eminem, as others have already stated elsewhere, will likely surpass NLOTH's 900k in the next 2 weeks in the States. It will be interesting to see how well Relapse holds up.

In the states that is true and not a surprise. Worldwide though, I'm not so sure that Relapse will be able to beat NLOTH.

Said it before many times and i say it again, relapse will beat NLOTH and claim best seller.

Said it before many times and i say it again, relapse will beat NLOTH and claim best seller.

1st week global results for RELAPSE are in. The total:

1st week global results for NO LINE ON THE HORIZON were:

So while Relapse had higher sales in one market in the first week, the USA, WORLDWIDE, No Line On The Horizon still has the bigger sales total for the first week! No Line On The Horizon has sold 2,819,000 copies worldwide to date, which means Relapse will have to sell 2 million more after this week to be competitive. Sales for Relapse next week will be considerably lower.

If I remember correctly, most of the songs from Eminem's album have been released as singles already, right? I saw that "Beautiful" was the 7th single from this album, which has not done too well. "We made you" is like a weird Al video but more funny/less weird.

Green Day's Single has done OK, but nothing like the singles released from American Idiot. Plus, the "anti-U.S." theme is prevelant on 21st Century, too, and for several critics, it's too much like AI. I have read some really good reviews as well, however, delighting in the continuing U.S. decline/demise theme.

Anyway, not sure if Eminem is going to tour, but the singles release strategy seems to be: maximize exposure to all the album's songs and create very high immediate demand. That could result in great (relative to the current market) sales for the first 2-3 weeks, but it could also drop like a rock soon after that w/o any "new" singles. As for Green Day, I kinda agree with the critic who was a bit harsh with them repeating the popular anti-U.S. sentiment of A.I., which certainly worked very well for them in 2005/2006. Not being political...just pointing out that it sounds and feels too much like their last album. I have no idea if that will impact sales this time around. I'm not a fan so I don't know if the album contains a string of future hit singles like AI did. For me personally, all their songs sound the same.

Worldwide, I don't think Eminem or Green Day will outsell NLOTH by the end of the year. NLOTH has serious legs in Europe with a MASSIVE tour kicking off in a few weeks. South American countries show NLOTH still charting in the Top 10, with GOYB being the number one song last week in South America. NLOTH may not be the best selling album of 2009 in the U.S., but globally, I predict it will be #1 with at least 5.5M copies sold by Christmas.

5.5million worldwide by Christmas would be an incredible/fantastic performance in the current market. I would be well happy with anything around the 4.5 million mark or over.

so how does this comparison stack up now, anyone?

As of this moment, the stats are as follow:

World Wide:

1-U2 with 3,169,000
2-Eminem with 2,435,000
3-Greenday with 1,973,000

Now NLOTH was released well before Eminem and Greenday, so lets compare their last week of sales with U2(the 1st week of U2's sales were 100k but I will count that as week 0):

Eminem week 11 sold 54,000-------U2 week 11 sold 55,000
Greenday week 12 sold 62,000-----U2 week 12 sold 49,000

I dont see either of them catching U2 world wide this year or possibly ever.

In the US(i dont have the #s for this past week yet):

1-Eminem-1,295,295
2-U2-960,077
3-Greenday-703,851

very good Cosmo, thank you. Interesting that Green Day's USA sales aren't that hot either in this current market. I liked GD's first single "know your enemy" but this current one is a pile of shit.

All eminem's USA sales prove is that there are 1.3 million people with bad taste in this country. Every time i look at eminem i think to myself "wtf"

very good Cosmo, thank you. Interesting that Green Day's USA sales aren't that hot either in this current market. I liked GD's first single "know your enemy" but this current one is a pile of shit.

All eminem's USA sales prove is that there are 1.3 million people with bad taste in this country. Every time i look at eminem i think to myself "wtf"

Aye, he's rolling out the same old lyrical material. It got old pretty damn quickly for me.

Best Selling Albums in 2009 WORLDWIDE as of WEEK 32

1. U2 No Line On The Horizon 3,169,000

2. Lady Gaga The Fame 3,077,000
3. Eminem Relapse 2,435,000
4. Kings Of Leon Only By The Night 2,282,000
5. Taylor Swift Fearless 2,199,000
6. Beyoncé I Am... Sasha Fierce 2,106,000
7. Soundtrack Hannah Montana: The Movie 2,075,000
8. Michael Jackson Thriller 2,059,000
9. Green Day 21st Century Breakdown 1,973,000
10. Michael Jackson Number Ones 1,945,000
11. Soundtrack Twilight 1,903,000
12. Pink Funhouse 1,724,000
13. Nickleback Dark Horse 1,720,000
14. Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D. 1,682,000
15. Michael Jackson - The Essential 1,584,000

Even if Green Day's sales held steady at 62,000, this weeks sales, for the rest of the year, they almost would not be able to pass NLOTH's current total. They might still make the top ten, but they definitely won't outsell NLOTH, let alone be the best selling album of the year.

Green Day's Single has done OK, but nothing like the singles released from American Idiot. Plus, the "anti-U.S." theme is prevelant on 21st Century, too, and for several critics, it's too much like AI. I have read some really good reviews as well, however, delighting in the continuing U.S. decline/demise theme.

As for Green Day, I kinda agree with the critic who was a bit harsh with them repeating the popular anti-U.S. sentiment of A.I., which certainly worked very well for them in 2005/2006. Not being political...just pointing out that it sounds and feels too much like their last album. I have no idea if that will impact sales this time around. I'm not a fan so I don't know if the album contains a string of future hit singles like AI did. For me personally, all their songs sound the same.

I felt that "American Idiot" sounded way too much like "Dookie" - a mid-90's Green Day release. That sound was catchy, punk and it caught on - for that album. Subsequent albums failed to do nearly as well and I actually thought they were gone.

Then along come "Idiot". It sounded exactly the same, but I guess the lyrics and themes were timely. Plus, since Green Day hadn't really had a big hit in 10 years, there was a whole new audience who hadn't heard them before and loved that catchy punk sound.

But once again, Green Day is making an album that sounds just like its predecessor. Audiences may love it once, but that "more of the same" does get old. Artists like The Beatles, Madonna and U2 are wise to change. They still keep their core sound, but by exploring within that sound, they create fresh music that has allowed those artists to endure. Green Day reminds me of INXS - a band I truly loved, but felt that all their albums started to sound the same (barring an exception here or there).

It's still early for Green Day - a single may take off and they could have another big hit album. But if the past is any indication, this album will sell much less than "Idiot" and the next one will sell even less than this current album. And maybe in another 7 years or so, they'll break through again. :lol:

Best Selling Albums in 2009 WORLDWIDE as of WEEK 32

1. U2 No Line On The Horizon 3,169,000

2. Lady Gaga The Fame 3,077,000
3. Eminem Relapse 2,435,000
4. Kings Of Leon Only By The Night 2,282,000
5. Taylor Swift Fearless 2,199,000
6. Beyoncé I Am... Sasha Fierce 2,106,000
7. Soundtrack Hannah Montana: The Movie 2,075,000
8. Michael Jackson Thriller 2,059,000
9. Green Day 21st Century Breakdown 1,973,000
10. Michael Jackson Number Ones 1,945,000
11. Soundtrack Twilight 1,903,000
12. Pink Funhouse 1,724,000
13. Nickleback Dark Horse 1,720,000
14. Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D. 1,682,000
15. Michael Jackson - The Essential 1,584,000

Even if Green Day's sales held steady at 62,000, this weeks sales, for the rest of the year, they almost would not be able to pass NLOTH's current total. They might still make the top ten, but they definitely won't outsell NLOTH, let alone be the best selling album of the year.

Relapse is the Eminem, but you already knew that, it was just a school boy error. :wink:

Eminem will probs release another huge single that will get x amount of views on youtube and insult x amount of Celebs. I hope to god we limp over the finish line, it be quite a victory to beat eminem even though we dont beat Gaga.

Relapse is the Eminem, but you already knew that, it was just a school boy error. :wink:

Eminem will probs release another huge single that will get x amount of views on youtube and insult x amount of Celebs. I hope to god we limp over the finish line, it be quite a victory to beat eminem even though we dont beat Gaga.

LOL I just realized that.:wink:

Then along come "Idiot". It sounded exactly the same, but I guess the lyrics and themes were timely. Plus, since Green Day hadn't really had a big hit in 10 years, there was a whole new audience who hadn't heard them before and loved that catchy punk sound.

I don't understand this at all, when did Green Day do 9 minute punk-opera style songs before American Idiot? I mean American Idiot was a big step forward for them in so many ways while 21st Century Breakdown is just American Idiot 2 without the good songs

I don't understand this at all, when did Green Day do 9 minute punk-opera style songs before American Idiot? I mean American Idiot was a big step forward for them in so many ways while 21st Century Breakdown is just American Idiot 2 without the good songs

I'm mostly talking about the title track - to my ears it sounds like "Dookie". And length of a song has nothing to do with difference. "All I Want Is You" is a long song, but it definitely flows with songs from UF and JT - it's not new in style or sound, just long (even if operatic).

Back
Top Bottom