NLOTH Singles Chart Watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
With several songs off NLOTH making their debut on the charts this week, I thought I'd start a thread that covered all singles from the new album, as Boots has likely peaked on most formats and Magnificent has been officially announced as the next single.

From today's update at Radio and Records/Nielson/Soundscan:

Triple A:
Magnificent up from 22 to 7 in it's second week with "Most added" moniker
Boots down from 3 to 9 in it's 7th week
Crazy debuts at 29
Magnificent #1 for most added stations and most added spins

Alternative:
Boots down to 22 to 12
Magnificent #3 in most added stations and #2 in most added spins

Active Rock:
Boots down 1 spot to 38

Hot AC:
Boots slips from 27 to 32

Mainstream Rock:
Boots holds steady at 17

Canada Rock
Boots drops from 1 to 3 after 7 weeks at #1

Canada Hot AC
Boots slips 2 spots to 36

Based on Magnificent's gain on the Alt chart, it must have missed the top 40 by only a couple positions. Next week.

Billboard Hot 100
Magnificent debuts at #79! (2nd highest debut of 14 new entries)

Pop 100
Boots slips to 86 in it's 7th straight week

Hot Digital Songs Chart
Magnificent debuts at 67

Triple A Rock Charts
Magnificent up 22 to #7 with "AIRPOWER" designation
Boots slips to #9
Crazy debuts at #29

Mainstream Rock Tracks
Boots slips 3 to 33

Modern Rock Tracks
Boots down to 22

Hot Adult Top 40
Boots slips 5 to 32

Hot Canadian Digital Singles
Magnificent debuts on the Top 100 at #50

Canada Hot 100 Singles Chart
Boots slips to #48
Magnificent debuts at #68

Japan Hot 100
Boots falls from #2 to 16 (After jumping to #2 last week, was hoping for a #1...2bad)

Top 20 Videos
Boots down from 7 to 13

I'll post the international singles charts when they are updated...

Alternative charts U.S.

Based on Magnificent's gain on the Alt chart, it must have missed the top 40 by only a couple positions. Next week.

It debuted at #47 with a bullet. I agree that it will make the Top 40 next week for sure.

Magnificent debuts at #79 in Billboard Hot 100.

Sweet! It's not even officially a single yet in the US though right?

Did Boots fall off the Hot 100 this week? It had gained some momentum back.

Some free pub for Magnificent...as this is posted on Billboard's website front page:

The latest news in the world of Billboard's definitive sales and airplay charts.
March 12, 2009 03:30 PM Gary Trust, Keith Caulfield, Silvio Pietroluongo, Raphael George, Wade Jessen and Mary DeCroce

AND THE BEAT GOES ON: After the renowned Fred Bronson's 16-year run at the helm, and fellow music expert Paul Grein's 12-year stewardship before Fred, Chart Beat will continue to be a landmark feature on Billboard.com. Please look for updates each week, reported by members of Billboard's charts department. We welcome you to interact by submitting your questions and comments about the charts, sales and the music industry in general at askbb@billboard.com.

U2 AND RICK ROSS, YOU TOO: U2 debuts on the Billboard Hot 100 with "Magnificent." So does Rick Ross. U2's song arrives at No. 79, while Ross begins at No. 88. Though the names are the same, the songs are different compositions. How rare is it for two songs sharing a title, but composed by different writers, to post simultaneous bows? Such a double dip hasn't occurred since July 3, 1976, when Fleetwood Mac and D.J. Rogers each entered with singles entitled "Say You Love Me."

Fleetwood Mac's "Say," written by Christine McVie, debuted at No. 74 and rose to a peak of No. 11 on the chart dated Sep. 18, 1976. Rogers' self-written "Say" started at No. 100 and peaked at No. 98 in its second and final frame the following week.

Since the debuts of "Say," only one other week has boasted two like-titled songs debuting simultaneously, though the recordings were covers of the same song. Just two weeks after "Say" paired up, "You to Me Are Everything" entered in versions by the Real Thing at No. 93 and Broadway at No. 94. Both artists performed the song written by Michael Denne and Ken Gold. A third version of the song, in fact, debuted two weeks later, on the July 31, 1976, Hot 100, as covered by Revelation.

Since then, two sets of different compositions sharing titles came close to achieving U2 and Ross' feat, but just missed by debuting a week apart. The July 23, 1988, Hot 100 sported the entrance of Bobby Brown's "Don't Be Cruel." A week later, Cheap Trick launched their own "Don't Be Cruel," an update of Elvis Presley's 1956 classic. Similarly, Slaughter's "Real Love" debuted the week of Aug. 22, 1992, followed by Mary J. Blige's "Real Love" the next week.

Interestingly, two additional pairs of titles share matching debut dates five years apart in 2003 and 2008. On the chart dated March 29, 2003, TLC bowed with "Damaged." Exactly five years later, on March 29, 2008, Danity Kane arrived with the same title. Likewise, "Addicted" by Simple Plan bowed June 28, 2003, and "Addicted" by Saving Abel opened June 28, 2008.

U2 PART 2: The Irish rockers grab their seventh No. 1 album on the Billboard 200, as "No Line On the Horizon" debuts in the top slot. In the 53-year history of the chart, U2 is now tied with Led Zeppelin for third-most No. 1s by a group, trailing only the Beatles' 19 and the Rolling Stones' nine.

Here's a list of U2's No. 1 sets:

"The Joshua Tree" (1987, nine weeks at No. 1)
"Rattle and Hum" (1988, six weeks)
"Achtung Baby" (1991, one week)
"Zooropa" (1993, one week)
"Pop" (1997, one week)
"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" (2004, one week)
"No Line on the Horizon" (2009, one week to date)

Boots slips to #18 on the Eurochart Top 100 Singles from Billboard (from 6th place). Not sure when Magnificent might debut...as it's not officially released as a single until May 1.

Jesus that unreal, have U2 ever had a song appear on the hot 100 without actually being released?

"The Joshua Tree" (1987, nine weeks at No. 1)
"Rattle and Hum" (1988, six weeks)
"Achtung Baby" (1991, one week)
"Zooropa" (1993, one week)
"Pop" (1997, one week)
"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" (2004, one week)
"No Line on the Horizon" (2009, one week to date)

Thanks for that info. Nice little trivia tidbit. We can all remember that two songs entitled "Magnificent" debuted on the same week, one being from U2. And even better, the song was only pseudo-released (although, these days, with no CD singles and whatnot, I think release dates are a thing of the past - labels probably just promote or push one song over another).

I quoted the above because I know that "Zooropa" spent two weeks at #1. It's the only U2 album in the SoundScan era to do so.

I think we should prepare ourselves not to be surprised if Magnificent falls off of Billboard next week.

I think this debut has mostly to do with downloads of the song from iTunes after the release of the album. Magnificent's downloads have dropped off a lot in the last couple days as less people are buying the album. Don't worry though because it looks like it's starting to build some radio momentum so hopefully it will be back later when downloads pick up again :wave:

I think we should prepare ourselves not to be surprised if Magnificent falls off of Billboard next week.

I think this debut has mostly to do with downloads of the song from iTunes after the release of the album. Magnificent's downloads have dropped off a lot in the last couple days as less people are buying the album. Don't worry though because it looks like it's starting to build some radio momentum so hopefully it will be back later when downloads pick up again :wave:

i'm agree with you...

MEDIABASE has updated it's radio airplay charts for the week ending March 15. They measure the number of spins a song receives across multiple formats in the U.S. and in Canada.

Triple A (Adult Rock)
Magnificent up to #3 with "most added stations and plays"
Boots down to #17
Crazy down to #33

Active Rock (Hard)
Magnificent debuts at #48

Hot AC
Boots slips 5 spots to #37

Alternative
Magnificent rises from 47 to 30 with a bullet
Boots slips to 32

Mainstream Rock
Boots slips just a bit to #19
Magnificent up from 39 to #22 with a bullet

Cananda Rock Top 50
Boots at #16
Magnificent debuts at #39

Canada Active Rock Top 50
Boots slips from 3 to 6

Canada Hot AC
Boots slips from 37 to 40

I still believe Magnificent will be a bigger hit than Boots. Yes, it may fall out of the BB Hot 100 due to the decrease in downloads. However, I think it will re-enter the chart again on the strength of airplay. If airplay increases across enough formats...or crosses over to Mainstream Top 40 radio...downloads could increase again. Still, as others have said, NLOTH is an ALBUM, and over 600,000 folks already have Magnificent. It will be interesting to see how this plays out...but in the current economic environment, U2 is selling respectable numbers and getting respectable airplay from the album.

MEDIABASE has updated it's radio airplay charts for the week ending March 15. They measure the number of spins a song receives across multiple formats in the U.S. and in Canada.

Triple A (Adult Rock)
Magnificent up to #3 with "most added stations and plays"

Active Rock (Hard)
Magnificent debuts at #48

Alternative
Magnificent rises from 47 to 30 with a bullet

Mainstream Rock
Magnificent up from 39 to #22 with a bullet

Great to see Magnificent climbing up the US airplay charts. :applaud:

I wonder if it's the kind of song that could break into Adult Contemporary or the Hot AC format...?

Radio and Records has updated. It basically confirms the trends seen in Mediabase, but FWIW, R&R radio play goes directly into Billboard Airplay only charts. So...

Triple A (Adult Rock)
Magnificent moves from 7 to 3; #1 most added stations & most added spins
Boots slips 11 spots to #20

Active Rock
Magnificent #2 on "most added stations"

Alternative
Magnificent debuts at #30; ranked #2 for "most added stations and plays"
Boots slips to #36

Hot AC
Boots down to #38
Magnificent #1 (by FAR) with most added stations

Mainstream Rock
Boots slips to #25
Magnificent debuts at #21 and is ranked #1 for most added stations and plays!

Canada Rock Top 50
Boots down 3 to #8
Magnificent debuts at #33 and is ranked 2nd for most added stations; 3rd for most plays

Canada Hot AC Top 50
Boots down 11 to #47

This chart is even more supportive of Magnificent potentially being a much bigger hit than Boots, and who knows, maybe this was the plan from the beginning ala Acthung Baby. Release a first single to let fans know this was going to be a different kind of album...followed up by a few more accessible songs to help keep album sales going after the initial splash.

If Magnificent can cross over to Hot AC, it's a much bigger format than all of the Rock/Alternative formats combined, and that would be key in getting the song onto BB's Hot 100. Obviously, if it crosses over into mainstream Pop, it could be a huge hit. I don't know if that will happen, but if Boots can crack the Pop 100, I gotta believe Magnificent can do it, too. If these trends stay in place, look for Magnificent to be back on Billboards Hot 100 soon...if it does fall out this week.

Hot AC
Boots down to #38
Magnificent #1 (by FAR) with most added stations

If Magnificent can cross over to Hot AC, it's a much bigger format than all of the Rock/Alternative formats combined, and that would be key in getting the song onto BB's Hot 100.

Can you clarify this?

Your post first reports that "Magnificent is #1 (by FAR)" on Hot AC, but then you write that if "Magnificent" can cross over to Hot AC, then that's key.

So I'm confused? What is the "Hot AC" you are reporting where "Magnificent" is #1? And do you mean regular AC (instead of "Hot AC") for the cross-over? If so, then this is true - "Beautiful Day" crossed over to be a hit on AC stations, which allowed it to reach #21 on the Billboard Hot 100 based on airplay alone. I think "Magnificent" can come close to doing that (or even surpassing it), provided stations give it a chance.

Can you clarify this?

Your post first reports that "Magnificent is #1 (by FAR)" on Hot AC, but then you write that if "Magnificent" can cross over to Hot AC, then that's key.

So I'm confused? What is the "Hot AC" you are reporting where "Magnificent" is #1? And do you mean regular AC (instead of "Hot AC") for the cross-over? If so, then this is true - "Beautiful Day" crossed over to be a hit on AC stations, which allowed it to reach #21 on the Billboard Hot 100 based on airplay alone. I think "Magnificent" can come close to doing that (or even surpassing it), provided stations give it a chance.

If you go to Radio and Records website, they keep track of which songs were added on the most stations within the format for that week.

Magnificent was added to 15 Hot AC stations last week while the 2nd highest song was added to 9. So it looks like Magnificent may be poised to jump onto the Hot AC chart within a couple weeks with a strong showing.

Right now Magnificent is charting in the top 40 or is about to chart in the following formats...

- Triple A
- Alternative
- Active Rock
- Hot AC
- Rock

This is GREAT news. I don't want to get my hopes up but this song is definitely picking up momentum on the radio. :D

If you go to Radio and Records website, they keep track of which songs were added on the most stations within the format for that week.

Magnificent was added to 15 Hot AC stations last week while the 2nd highest song was added to 9. So it looks like Magnificent may be poised to jump onto the Hot AC chart within a couple weeks with a strong showing.

Right now Magnificent is charting in the top 40 or is about to chart in the following formats...

- Triple A
- Alternative
- Active Rock
- Hot AC
- Rock

This is GREAT news. I don't want to get my hopes up but this song is definitely picking up momentum on the radio. :D

While all of the above formats are important, especially Hot AC, the real key is CHR/Top 40! If they crack that list then it’s going to get interesting.... like top 10 interesting. That is the ultimate play list, just look at the number of listeners compared to any other format.

Dr. Who,

As someone stated, yes, Magnificent is #1 for most added stations on the Hot AC format. It has yet to debut on the Top 40 chart, but that does seem imminent. I have not seen it on AC charts or hitpredictors, but yes, that's another large format that would do a lot to help Magnificent on the Hot 100 chart if it was to gain airplay on that format.

Triple A/Adult Rock, as well as Mainstream Rock, are formats where U2 usually do quite well. If they reach #1 with Magnificent, that would be an audience size of about 4M total combined. Nothing to sneeze at...but #1 on Alternative Radio would be something like 7-8M listeners. Hot AC perhaps 10+ million. AC maybe more than that...don't hold me to the exact numbers, but you get the picture.

R&B/Hip-hop and Top 40 are the biggest formats. BD did make it onto Pop 100 airplay and AC. Vertigo made it onto Hot AC. Magnificent is well on it's way to charting on the Hot AC format, but it's a slower process to move up a larger format. I'm glad the song is racing up the "usual" chart formats for U2; Triple A, Alternative, and Mainstream Rock. Perhaps a May 1 official release date, with a radio edit version made available for download, will end up working out OK. If Magnificent is already in the Top 5 on the Rock/Alternative chart formats by then, as well as climbing Hot AC or maybe AC, then the song could make enough of a "splash" to chart high in the BB Hot 100, which measures airplay, downloads, and physical single sales all together.

If all that happens, then Magnificent would be in a good position to make the jump to mainstream radio Top 40, which would enhance and/or prolong it's success on the Hot 100, and thus potentially help the album a bit in a severe recession in a dying industry where up to 30% of music listeners get most, if not all, of their music digitally - for free -which can kill a song on some charts.

I remember reading about how over 160,000 of NLOTH were legal album downloads in the U.S. during it's first week. I also read somewhere that NLOTH had been downloaded illegally some 400,000 times during the week before and week of it's release. There is some method that's been used to predict those things relatively accurately now...I'll try to find the article. My point is...fans of U2, both hardcore and casual, may just be more internet savvy than, say, fans of Kelly Clarkston. I have nothing to back that up...just MHO...but there is certainly a huge disparity between the number of fans willing to pay A LOT of money to see U2 versus just about every other Act on the planet...even the ones who can outsell U2 2 to 1 or better. Could some of that be due to U2 being victimized more so than other artists w/respect to illegal downloads? Could be...

Anyway, back on topic. Here's to Magnificent being U2's biggest hit of this decade! (I can hope, right?)

Any news on whether "Magnificent" survived another week in the Billboard Hot 100?

I'll post it as soon as it's update. Meanwhile, here is the article that refers to about 450,000 illegal downloads down to NLOTH through March 8...just think what the opening week would have looked like if that number were just cut in half...and who knows how many more illegal downloads have occurred in the past 10 days. This was a problem back in 2004 with HTDAAB, but the evidence clearly supports that it gets much worse every year. While it may just be a fact of life going forward, these "leaks" of the entire album certaily don't help. Be back soon with Hot 100 results.

U2's 'Horizon' premieres with sky-high sales numbers

USA Today, March 11, 2009

Edna Gundersen

U2's No Line on the Horizon takes a vertical leap to No. 1 on Billboard's album chart after selling 484,000 copies its first week, the biggest opener since Britney Spears' Circus sold 505,000 in early December.

Though lower than U2's last studio disc, sales for the band's 12th album and seventh chart-topper met expectations, says Keith Caulfield, Billboard's senior chart analyst.

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb started with sales of 840,000 during 2004's Thanksgiving week, "always a big shopping time," Caulfield says. "It's unfair to compare it to an album released in March. (Horizon's tally) is very impressive, especially for a band that's been around as long as U2. Albums don't sell the way they used to."

Taylor Swift's Fearless, nearing sales of 2.8 million, falls to a distant second with 52,000, and Neko Case's Middle Cyclone enters at No. 3 with 44,000, trailed by Lady GaGa, Nickelback, Jamie Foxx, The Fray, Beyoncé, the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack and T.I., according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Despite a lukewarm reception to single Get on Your Boots, Caulfield expects Horizon to enjoy "a long chart life and long shelf life. There will be endless singles. They've got a big tour coming. U2 is a no-brainer."

Few doubt that piracy, a plague on all album sales (down 11.5% this year compared to 2008), siphoned profits from Horizon, which leaked online 13 days early. It was downloaded at least 445,000 times before its release, according to peer-to-peer monitoring firm BigChampagne.
Piracy grates on Bono, yet he's reluctant to lead a rebellion "because people think people like me are overpaid and overnourished, and they're not wrong," the U2 singer says. "What they're missing is, how does a songwriter get paid? There's no space for a Cole Porter in the modern age.

"It's not the place for rich rock stars to ask for more money, but somebody should fight for fellow artists, because this is madness. Music has become tap water, a utility, where for me it's a sacred thing, so I'm a little offended."

The Internet has emasculated rather than liberated artists, he says, noting that the record industry has lost billions in value.

"From punk rock to hip-hop, from heavy metal to country, musicians walk along with a smile and jump like lemmings into the abyss," he says. "The music business has been thrown to the dogs legislatively."

That indifference will vanish once "file-sharing of TV shows and movies becomes as easy as songs," Bono says. "Somebody is going to call the cops."

(c) USA Today, 2009.

"It's not the place for rich rock stars to ask for more money, but somebody should fight for fellow artists, because this is madness. Music has become tap water, a utility, where for me it's a sacred thing, so I'm a little offended."

About time he said something I agree with.

According to Mediabase, Magnificent has climbed another 6 spots on the Alternative chart in just 3 days (#24). It will probably be somewhere around #20 by the end of the chart week (moving up 10 spots on alternative in 1 week is very good). Not bad for a 40 position chart (debut at #30, week 2 somewhere around #20).

Here are my USA radio chart predictions for Magnificent (when all is said and done):

Top 10, possibly top 5 on Alternative
#1 on Triple A
Top 10 on Hot AC (it's being added like crazy by Hot AC stations right now)
Top 5 on Rock radio

I doubt this song will chart on Top 40/Pop, as that format plays stuff that is nothing at all like Magnificent (can you really see Magnificent being played along with Britney Spears, T-Pain, Miley Cyrus, etc?)

The good news is that if the song does well on Hot AC, Alternative, Triple A, and Rock, it will have similar radio play to Vertigo...meaning it will probably be in the top 40 on the Billboard Hot 100. That will be enough airplay to get a lot of people's attention. I think it could help boost sales of NLOTH considerably (500k-1 million in the USA)

As expected, Magnificent has fallen out of the BB Hot 100. I think it will be back, however, on the strength of airplay. Downloads/sales have peaked, IMO.

Anyway, here is how NLOTH singles charted this week on Billboard:

Modern Rock Top 40
Magnificent debuts at #30; biggest gainer/mover, highest debut, etc.
Boots slips to 36

Mainstream Rock Top 40
Magnificent debuts at #40

Triple A
Magnificent up to #3
Boots down to #20

Hot Adult Top 40
Boots down to 38

Canada Hot 100
Boots down 4 spots to #52

Japan Hot 100
Boots at #18 holding pretty strong

Top 25 Music Videos
Boots back up to #9, this after peaking at #7 several weeks ago and slipping to 13 LW

Euro Hot 100 Singles
Boots comes in at #26

If anyone wants to see Billboard's country by country chart positions for U2, let me know. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom