NLOTH Singles Chart Watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The increases just keep getting bigger on Hot Ac, folks. That's good news. The increase in plays for the period beLIEve just posted is +106 for that format. A couple days ago the song appeared to be losing a lot of steam but the Hot AC #'s are the bright spot :up::up:

I posted this in another thread but Ill write it again (just my opinion):

It is my understanding that some radio stations will not break "rank" and play unofficial songs (not officially released). Now, there may not be many of these but perhaps enough to make a difference on a lot of the charts we follow (especially Hot AC, who may play by the "rules" more than say a rock station). Then there are the stations that dont play songs over a certain length, or at least new songs. Since Magnificent is over 5 min (all of it good by the way) they may be more likely to play the edit version. Additionally, some stations playing the song now may opt to play the song more often if it is shorter. Add a video to all this and we may be looking at a nice May/June in terms of radio play for Magnificent. Hopefully this translates over into album sales but time will tell.......

Radio and Records has updated (and therefore Billboard's airplay only charts):

Hot AC (This will be Billboard's "Hot Adult Top 40 Chart" just to confuse you)
Magnificent rises from 28 to 23 with a bullet

Alternative
Slips to spots to 20 but resumes increase in plays

Rock
Up from 15 to 14 with increase in plays

Triple A
Still holding at #2, but has had the #1 ranked audience for several weeks now

Canadian Rock
Up from 7 to 5 with 4th largest increase in plays

Putting aside the BB Hot 100, I think it's safe to say that Magnificent has already surpassed Boots with respect to Airplay, and it has not even technically been released. If it continues to rise on Hot AC/Adult Top 40, then the song has a decent chance at crossing over into Mainstream Top 40. Considering the lack of promotion, music video, download advertising, etc., the song is doing fine just on it's own merit.

On the Top 100 Hits Online, Boots is down to 40 from 21. Magnificent climbs from 52 to 35 in it's 3rd week on the chart. If a video of Magnificent is released soon, and it's a good one, then Magnificent has a chance to be Top 5...or even a #1 hit...on this chart in the next several weeks. Considering just how much online listening/streaming has increased over the years (a major feature article in BB two weeks ago), this chart may be the most relevant of all in the current day and age.

Will post BB tomorrow...perhaps Magnificent can re-enter the Hot 100 on airplay alone.

Magnificent itunes chart positions

Ireland: 72
UK: 58 (Rock songs), below 300 overall
US: Non-charting, Beautiful Day is on the top 100 rock songs and Magnificent is selling half what that is

Magnificent itunes chart positions

Ireland: 72
UK: 58 (Rock songs), below 300 overall
US: Non-charting, Beautiful Day is on the top 100 rock songs and Magnificent is selling half what that is

could this be the first U2 single since Boy, to fail making the UK top 40.
its getting airplay, but people arent downloading. :huh:

could this be the first U2 single since Boy, to fail making the UK top 40.
its getting airplay, but people arent downloading. :huh:

They're starting to push for top 300 entry now, Naive is 298th overall, 48th on rock, Magnificent is 58th and sales differences are very small

Radio and Records has updated (and therefore Billboard's airplay only charts):

Hot AC (This will be Billboard's "Hot Adult Top 40 Chart" just to confuse you)
Magnificent rises from 28 to 23 with a bullet

Alternative
Slips to spots to 20 but resumes increase in plays

Rock
Up from 15 to 14 with increase in plays

Triple A
Still holding at #2, but has had the #1 ranked audience for several weeks now

Canadian Rock
Up from 7 to 5 with 4th largest increase in plays

Putting aside the BB Hot 100, I think it's safe to say that Magnificent has already surpassed Boots with respect to Airplay, and it has not even technically been released. If it continues to rise on Hot AC/Adult Top 40, then the song has a decent chance at crossing over into Mainstream Top 40. Considering the lack of promotion, music video, download advertising, etc., the song is doing fine just on it's own merit.

On the Top 100 Hits Online, Boots is down to 40 from 21. Magnificent climbs from 52 to 35 in it's 3rd week on the chart. If a video of Magnificent is released soon, and it's a good one, then Magnificent has a chance to be Top 5...or even a #1 hit...on this chart in the next several weeks. Considering just how much online listening/streaming has increased over the years (a major feature article in BB two weeks ago), this chart may be the most relevant of all in the current day and age.

Will post BB tomorrow...perhaps Magnificent can re-enter the Hot 100 on airplay alone.

Im surprised at you! A song this good and you dont check the charts its not on yet :sexywink: It entered R&R's Active Rock chart at #37 with 235 plays. While this may not seem like a lot of plays, it does show that the song is on yet another format. I think it has a chance :hmm: to enter the CHR Top 40 (AKA the ultimate chart) once it is officially released.

Im surprised at you! A song this good and you dont check the charts its not on yet :sexywink: It entered R&R's Active Rock chart at #37 with 235 plays. While this may not seem like a lot of plays, it does show that the song is on yet another format. I think it has a chance :hmm: to enter the CHR Top 40 (AKA the ultimate chart) once it is officially released.

That's great that it is debuting in another format!

And I hope you are right about the CHR chart, although I'm doubtful. It takes nearly 1,000 plays in a week on that chart to even make it into the top 40! :huh:

You are correct...I missed that on Radio and Records. But on Mediabase, which tracks EVERY station across the U.S. and many across Canada, I have been showing it's progress in Active Rock. And since this chart updates daily, showing the past 7 days real-time, it's worth mentioning again just how "hot" Magnificent has become w/respect to Airplay:

Active Rock:
Magnificent is 32 today...up from 42 just 7 days ago! It has an increase of 78 plays...and it's moving up this fast while only being played on 21 stations! Now, Hard rock doesn't exactly seem to fit U2...but the top songs on this format have between 60-80 stations playing them. If Magnificent gets to 40 stations, they could crack the Top 20 or better.

Rock
After losing steam and seemingly peaking at #10, now Magnificent has resumed an increase in plays and moves up to #8 versus #10 7 days ago.

Triple A
4th week at #1...but the gap between Magnificent and the nearest song that is increasing is well over 100 spins. Plus, the "drop" in plays for Magnificent has gone from -40 two days ago to -7 today.

Hot AC
Ironically, Magnificent is not charting as high on this chart as they are on R&R and Billboard, but I'm not sure the formats are quite the same...plus Mediabase measures more stations. Regardless, it's still at #28 but with big increases in airplay and within two plays of the song above it.

Alternative
Magnificent holds at #18 with -17 in plays over the last 7 days.

Billboard numbers next...

No real surprises on Billboard (I'm beginning to prefer mediabase since it measures more stations, updates daily, and shows actual playlists for hundreds of stations)

Triple A
Magnificent stays at #2, again. We know from Mediabase that it's actually #1 in airplay.

Modern Rock
Magnificent down 2 to 20, but at least plays are again increasing

Mainstream Rock
Magnificent up two spots to #30...maybe this is similar to "Active Rock" from mediabase

Adult Top 40
Magnificent up 5 spots to 23...very promising

Canadian Hot 100
Magnificent up 3 spots to #70

On Billboard's Top 100 Eurochart Singles...
Boots actually rises from 94 to 87 in it's 9th week

On the BB European Airplay Chart...
Magnificent holds at #15 during it's 2nd week on this chart

On the Top 100 Hits Online, Boots is down to 40 from 21.

This could change though as I've heard Boots quite a bit this past week during the NBA Playoff highlights that they show during the game. They do it like a music video and tell you who the artist is etc. So the song may pick up in popularity because of this.

No real surprises on Billboard (I'm beginning to prefer mediabase since it measures more stations, updates daily, and shows actual playlists for hundreds of stations)

Triple A
Magnificent stays at #2, again. We know from Mediabase that it's actually #1 in airplay.

Modern Rock
Magnificent down 2 to 20, but at least plays are again increasing

Mainstream Rock
Magnificent up two spots to #30...maybe this is similar to "Active Rock" from mediabase

Adult Top 40
Magnificent up 5 spots to 23...very promising

Canadian Hot 100
Magnificent up 3 spots to #70

I saw that on the Billboard's Modern Rock charts "Magnificent" dropped from 18 to 20 as you wrote above. That may seem discouraging, but as you wrote, plays increased (it's just that other songs received more plays). Plus, that chart has two modes - wildly stable or dramatic bounces. That is, a song will linger for weeks and weeks at a position or two and other times there'll be huge increases or decreases. Rare is the gradual rise. For example, Pearl Jam's song dropped from #5 to #15 in one week (and this was a former #1) on that chart.

All of that said, I see a bit of "Beautiful Day" in "Magnificent". BD was a hit on the chart, but I think it only reached #5. I think this is partly because the song wasn't seen as "alternative". "Magnificent" has a bit of that going for it too. Hence, I'm more interested in the A/C and Hot A/C charts because this is how "Beautiful Day" eventually broke through. Once it did well on the A/C charts, it was able to chart high in the Hot 100.

What's more important than where it charts, is how long it charts for.

A songs success is a measure of where it charts, how long it charts for and total sales, in my opinion

Then why don't people get the non-U2 songs for free too? This is a bad excuse for charting badly

Not necessarily....People were downloading the entire album for free the day it came out, before it came out....I am not sure people were doing the same for the FloRida's and T-Pain's and Miley stuff. Those people download single songs because those artists are not known for their albums. I am sure a great deal of people already have Magnificent for free without having to download the single. That's where I'm coming from. U2 are an album band, not singles band. And many people got their album for free. Because of the amount of people who got it for free, there is no good way to measure any of their single's success.

Not necessarily....People were downloading the entire album for free the day it came out, before it came out....I am not sure people were doing the same for the FloRida's and T-Pain's and Miley stuff. Those people download single songs because those artists are not known for their albums. I am sure a great deal of people already have Magnificent for free without having to download the single. That's where I'm coming from. U2 are an album band, not singles band. And many people got their album for free. Because of the amount of people who got it for free, there is no good way to measure any of their single's success.

To back up this claim, Flo Rida had a single reaching 1M downloads within 2 weeks in February. The song was easily #1 for a while. Yet the album debuted a lowly #8 and has plummeted since. While having a big hit song is nice, in a recent article I read, it was lamented how some labels wish these big hit songs would translate into big album sales.

In contrast, NLOTH has floated in the Top 20 since its debut (in the U.S.) and in the Top 10 worldwide, with really a fairly weak first single. Basically, the album is selling mostly because of U2's name alone. As "Magnificent" gaines airplay (and I have a friend who says she keeps hearing the song on the radio here in the San Francisco area), more and more people will get the album. Note that the Kings of Leon album has been floating in the Top 20 not because of huge Hot 100 songs, but because of hits on Modern Rock charts. If "Magnificent" is a hit on the Adult Contemporary charts, this is even better. Combine that with a tour and NLOTH could easily be pushed back into the Top 10 (or at least remain in the Top 20-30).

Note, though, what the Top 20 really means. U2's album was #16 this week and it sold just 20K copies in the U.S. Back in "Pop's" era, that easily would have meant around 60K sold. Clearly illegal downloads are the biggest impact, but the economy only contributes. Why pay if one can illegally download?

To back up this claim, Flo Rida had a single reaching 1M downloads within 2 weeks in February. The song was easily #1 for a while. Yet the album debuted a lowly #8 and has plummeted since. While having a big hit song is nice, in a recent article I read, it was lamented how some labels wish these big hit songs would translate into big album sales.

In contrast, NLOTH has floated in the Top 20 since its debut (in the U.S.) and in the Top 10 worldwide, with really a fairly weak first single. Basically, the album is selling mostly because of U2's name alone. As "Magnificent" gaines airplay (and I have a friend who says she keeps hearing the song on the radio here in the San Francisco area), more and more people will get the album. Note that the Kings of Leon album has been floating in the Top 20 not because of huge Hot 100 songs, but because of hits on Modern Rock charts. If "Magnificent" is a hit on the Adult Contemporary charts, this is even better. Combine that with a tour and NLOTH could easily be pushed back into the Top 10 (or at least remain in the Top 20-30).

Note, though, what the Top 20 really means. U2's album was #16 this week and it sold just 20K copies in the U.S. Back in "Pop's" era, that easily would have meant around 60K sold. Clearly illegal downloads are the biggest impact, but the economy only contributes. Why pay if one can illegally download?

:up:good post

Here is the HOT 100 Airplay chart for 7th week that NLOTH has been on chart. This is the chart that U2 needs to make with a new song. No songs from the album have cracked this chart yet. I think that every U2 album since War has had at least one song make this chart with the possible exception of Zooropa. "Last Night On Earth" made it on to this chart at #74. Discotheque made it to #22.

HOT 100 AIRPLAY

1 2 13 Blame It, Jamie Foxx Feat. T-Pain
2 1 17 Dead And Gone, T.I. Feat. Justin Timberlake
3 4 11 Poker Face, Lady GaGa
4 3 12 Kiss Me Thru The Phone, Soulja Boy Tell'Em Feat. Sammie
5 5 13 Right Round, Flo Rida 2
6 6 7 Boom Boom Pow, The Black Eyed Peas
7 7 12 Day 'N' Nite, Kid Cudi
8 9 14 My Life Would Suck Without You, Kelly Clarkson
9 8 15 Gives You Hell, The All-American Rejects
10 11 20 You Found Me, The Fray
11 10 31 Love Story, Taylor Swift
12 12 18 Turnin Me On, Keri Hilson Feat. Lil Wayne
13 14 25 Just Dance, Lady GaGa Feat. Colby O'Donis 3
14 13 19 Mad, Ne-Yo
15 19 7 Halo, Beyonce
16 16 33 I'm Yours, Jason Mraz 3
17 15 18 Sober, Pink
18 18 17 Rockin' That Thang, The-Dream
19 17 23 Heartless, Kanye West 2
20 22 14 It's America, Rodney Atkins
21 28 6 If U Seek Amy, Britney Spears
22 23 7 I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho), Pitbull
23 21 11 Here Comes Goodbye, Rascal Flatts
24 32 4 Sugar, Flo Rida Feat. Wynter
25 24 10 She's Country, Jason Aldean
26 20 14 Beautiful, Akon
27 30 11 I Told You So, Carrie Underwood Featuring Randy Travis
28 39 4 Turn My Swag On, Soulja Boy Tell'em
29 27 19 Circus, Britney Spears
30 25 7 Love Sex Magic, Ciara Feat. Justin Timberlake
31 34 7 It Happens, Sugarland
32 36 18 Second Chance, Shinedown
33 31 12 Nothin' To Die For, Tim McGraw
34 35 6 Magnificent, Rick Ross Feat. John Legend
35 29 33 Hot N Cold, Katy Perry 3
36 41 8 How Do You Sleep?, Jessie McCartney Feat. Ludacris
37 37 11 Ain't I, Yung L.A. Feat. Young Dro & T.I.
38 46 6 Boyfriend #2, Pleasure P
39 26 14 Don't Think I Can't Love You, Jake Owen
40 33 45 Viva La Vida, Coldplay 3
41 47 7 The Climb, Miley Cyrus
42 38 16 It Won't Be Like This For Long, Darius Rucker
43 48 4 Kiss A Girl, Keith Urban
44 51 3 Then, Brad Paisley
45 49 6 One In Every Crowd, Montgomery Gentry
46 42 32 Let It Rock, Kevin Rudolf Feat. Lil Wayne
47 57 5 You Can Get It All, Bow Wow Feat. Johnta Austin
48 56 3 Out Last Night, Kenny Chesney
49 50 8 sobeautiful, Musiq Soulchild
50 60 5 Sideways, Dierks Bentley
51 65 2 Knock You Down, Keri Hilson Feat. Kanye West & Ne-Yo
52 45 28 Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It), Beyonce 2
53 72 2 Birthday Sex, Jeremih
54 53 8 If This Isn't Love, Jennifer Hudson
55 59 5 Never Ever, Ciara Feat. Young Jeezy
56 44 20 She Got Her Own, Ne-Yo Feat. Jamie Foxx & Fabolous
57 40 20 River Of Love, George Strait
58 66 6 Always The Love Songs, Eli Young Band
59 NEW 1 We Made You, Eminem
60 69 2 Sissy's Song, Alan Jackson
61 64 8 Marry For Money, Trace Adkins
62 73 2 Whatever It Is, Zac Brown Band
63 52 12 Ride, Martina McBride
64 58 9 Shuttin' Detroit Down, John Rich
65 75 2 Don't Trust Me, 3OH!3
66 63 6 There Goes My Baby, Charlie Wilson
67 68 3 1, 2, 3, 4, Plain White T's
68 54 11 You Complete Me, Keyshia Cole
69 NEW 1 Know Your Enemy, Green Day
70 70 3 I Run To You, Lady Antebellum
71 62 7 Next To You, Mike Jones
72 NEW 1 I Do Not Hook Up, Kelly Clarkson
73 NEW 1 Where I'm From, Jason Michael Carroll
74 61 17 Diva, Beyonce
75 NEW 1 Tu No Eres Para Mi, Fanny Lu

Its amazing to see that nearly a year after being released, Viva La Vida is still on this chart and in the top 40.

Without making this chart, your not really going to see significant increases in sales. The tour, awards shows, and the holidays can provide some brief increases though.

Here is some Hot 100 Airplay(USA) chart history for U2:

song - peak position

With Or Without You - #1(3 weeks)
I Still Haven't Found.... -#1(1 week)
Where The Streets.... - #16
Desire - #5
Angel Of Harlem - #14
Mysterious Ways - #11
One - #7
Even Better Than The Real Thing - #43
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - #42
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me - #15
Discotheque - #22
Staring At The Sun - #16
Last Night On Earth - #74
Beautiful Day - #19
Vertigo - #30

I think Stuck In A Moment made the top 100 airplay chart in the 50s, because it was on the Hot 100 chart in the 50s. Stay(Far Away So Close) may have made the Hot 100 airplay chart as well, but I'm not sure. "When Love Comes To Town, All I Want Is You, In God's Country, New Years Day, and Pride are all possibilities as well.

Here is some Hot 100 Airplay(USA) chart history for U2:

song - peak position

With Or Without You - #1(3 weeks)
I Still Haven't Found.... -#1(1 week)
Where The Streets.... - #16
Desire - #5
Angel Of Harlem - #14
Mysterious Ways - #11
One - #7
Even Better Than The Real Thing - #43
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - #42
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me - #15
Discotheque - #22
Staring At The Sun - #16
Last Night On Earth - #74
Beautiful Day - #19
Vertigo - #30

I think Stuck In A Moment made the top 100 airplay chart in the 50s, because it was on the Hot 100 chart in the 50s. Stay(Far Away So Close) may have made the Hot 100 airplay chart as well, but I'm not sure. "When Love Comes To Town, All I Want Is You, In God's Country, New Years Day, and Pride are all possibilities as well.

Stay - #72
All I Want Is You - #50 (in 1994, it was included on the Reality Bites soundtrack)
Stuck In A Moment - # 53

Didn't Magnificent chart at 70-something for one week when the album was released?

One week until its release and Magnificent is falling on the UK itunes chart. There's even rumours starting that there will only be a 7 inch release of the single...

This will probably be the last single from NLOTH unless something drastic happens

One week until its release and Magnificent is falling on the UK itunes chart. There's even rumours starting that there will only be a 7 inch release of the single...

This will probably be the last single from NLOTH unless something drastic happens

On Amazon.co.uk you can pre-order the 2 different versions of the cd single with 4th May as a release day. The 7'' version of Magnificent is only availabe at hmv.co.uk. The same thing that happened with GOYB. And as far as the other singles from NLOTH are concerned, it has been mentioned on an e-mail from u2.com that there are going to be released 4 singles from NLOTH.

On Amazon.co.uk you can pre-order the 2 different versions of the cd single with 4th May as a release day. The 7'' version of Magnificent is only availabe at hmv.co.uk. The same thing that happened with GOYB. And as far as the other singles from NLOTH are concerned, it has been mentioned on an e-mail from u2.com that there are going to be released 4 singles from NLOTH.

Are the cd versions still on amazon? I could only find the 7 inch on HMV and found other people referring to it only having a 7 inch release

U2 planned to release 4 singles, I don't think they expected Boots to fail to hit the top 10 and Magnificent to...not do well at all

But seriously where is the video? The single comes out physical in a weak, downloads are non-existent and there's no video. Are U2 trying to flop?

Amazon listed the cd singles of Magnificent yesterday and they are still available to preorder. And although i agree with you that the video should have been released by now, i think it's too early to judge the chart performance of Magnificent. The downloads of the song have been stalled but we should keep in mind that only the album version of the song is available to download and this is the version most u2 fans already have. Once the radio edit of the song along with the b-sides are available at i-tunes, the song will start charting on downloads.

Amazon listed the cd singles of Magnificent yesterday and they are still available to preorder. And although i agree with you that the video should have been released by now, i think it's too early to judge the chart performance of Magnificent. The downloads of the song have been stalled but we should keep in mind that only the album version of the song is available to download and this is the version most u2 fans already have. Once the radio edit of the song along with the b-sides are available at i-tunes, the song will start charting on downloads.

Still no other song that is a single will take this long to even get some downloads, I mean dear god Smells Like Teen Spirit is out selling the song, so is Free Bird etc. The song should be doing better than that

But wont the edit of the song be "released" on the 4th of May? at the minute people would have to download the album version of the song, plus we may see an ad campaign once the song is released.

Back
Top Bottom