NLOTH Singles Chart Watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the same feeling. It might be the new Pop. Interference generally likes it but the general public sees it as one of their worst albums.

It's similar but I don't think there's the same popular "consensus" that NLOTH is a bad album. I think there's more division of opinion, and that's demonstrated by the fact that NLOTH got some fantastic reviews (overall very positive) while Pop seemed to get a more mixed critical reaction.

But I agree -- based on the rankings people have been giving it in the Where The Album Has A Name threads, NLOTH is probably Interference's #3, or #4 favorite U2 album.

Here's my take on it - if magnificent was first single the album would have sold 1M more in the U.S then it has currently and maybe 2M more worldwide....it would have also been more generally perceived by the public as a good album...in contrast to the luke warm perception presently (although it is regarded well by many hard core fans). Remember - 1M album sold in 2009 = 2M in 2004 with all the piracy killing the record industry over the last five years....the fact that NOLTH sold 3.5M worldwide and 1M in the U.S. in 2009 may appear low to historical u2 standards...but that is as good as any top album will sell nowadays...the music industry is in transition and the measure of success is no longer album sales in my opinion...what is the new measure...probably online streaming chart, youtube video hits, tour sales. How do you know U2 is still relevant and that this album wasn't a flop?....well the U2360 tour is completely sold out. During POP, the Popmart tour was not sold out in 50% of the cities...in fact in some cities they played to less then 50% capacity in the U.S....U2 was a big band in the 90's after AB and Zooropa....but POP was a flop...1M sold in 1997 = 200k sold in 2009 in my opinion...that's a flop.....Discotheque pushed the U2 crowd too far as a lead single and poisoned the fate of that album....although I admit I did like it at the time....Pop is my least played U2 album...and that's how I know it wasn't good..because I like almost anything u2 put out....Further, it was rushed and it showed....the re-makes of some of those songes on the best of 1990-2000 demonstrated what it could have been...especially Staring at the Sun....despite Discotheque being a flop lead single... the rest of the 4 POP singles did relatively well on the U.S. charts...for example Staring at the Sun went to #4 in airplay in the U.S..but in the end good POP airplay did nothing for the album sales sold squat and the tour did not sell out.

Get on your boots is a good song in my opinion but was too much like vertigo (for the mainstream casual u2 fan) ....without the commercial push that was required for it..if they did the iPod thing again for Boots (similar to vertig)...it would have worked great as the lead single; no doubt in my mind. Further, had they released the album in the fall of 2008 as planned it would have been a different story on the sales front. If you look back at Vertigo ...Atomic Bomb was destined for the same destiny as NOLTH in my opinion.....Vertigo had cracked the top #40 radio airplay in he U.S. before falling out big time one week later..then the ipod commercial kicked in...and boom...the single was back in the top 40 radio airplay for 2 months...the album sold 840k in the first week in the U.S.....then the grammy nominations kicked at the perfect time....and the xmas season sales pursued ..Vertigo maynot have been a #1 hit...but for all intensive purposes it was...everyone knew the song from the commercial....further the timing of the album allowed it to have grammy nominations in two seperate years....helping sales and keeping the momentum alive...NOLTH will not be so fortunate.....only one year of grammy's with no major category nominations...only secondary categories.

Was NOLTH a bust?....selling only 1M in the U.S...nope...did it do worse then ATYCLB and HTDAAB....yes....was it a timing and marketing problem....absolutely....would Magnificent as a lead single made this album more generally accepted in thh mainstream?....I think so .....even as a follow-up single...it did pretty well in the clubs...#1 in the dance club chart on billboard if memory serves me correct....don't forget U.S. stations were boycotting U2 after some remarks from Bono last April as well...that didn't help.

My guess is no more singles from NOLTH....they will let things die down for a few months and come back with an anthemic lead single from Songs of Ascent..and launch the mobile album concept that everyone is touting.....and incorporate the new album into u2360 tour..similar to zooropa during the AB era.

Here's my take on it - if magnificent was first single the album would have sold 1M more in the U.S then it has currently and maybe 2M more worldwide

Well, that would mean they would have the biggest selling album in the United States for 2009 if they had sold just 1 million more copies.

Here's my take on it - if magnificent was first single the album would have sold 1M more in the U.S then it has currently and maybe 2M more worldwide....it would have also been more generally perceived by the public as a good album...in contrast to the luke warm perception presently (although it is regarded well by many hard core fans). Remember - 1M album sold in 2009 = 2M in 2004 with all the piracy killing the record industry over the last five years....the fact that NOLTH sold 3.5M worldwide and 1M in the U.S. in 2009 may appear low to historical u2 standards...but that is as good as any top album will sell nowadays...the music industry is in transition and the measure of success is no longer album sales in my opinion...what is the new measure...probably online streaming chart, youtube video hits, tour sales. How do you know U2 is still relevant and that this album wasn't a flop?....well the U2360 tour is completely sold out. During POP, the Popmart tour was not sold out in 50% of the cities...in fact in some cities they played to less then 50% capacity in the U.S....U2 was a big band in the 90's after AB and Zooropa....but POP was a flop...1M sold in 1997 = 200k sold in 2009 in my opinion...that's a flop.....Discotheque pushed the U2 crowd too far as a lead single and poisoned the fate of that album....although I admit I did like it at the time....Pop is my least played U2 album...and that's how I know it wasn't good..because I like almost anything u2 put out....Further, it was rushed and it showed....the re-makes of some of those songes on the best of 1990-2000 demonstrated what it could have been...especially Staring at the Sun....despite Discotheque being a flop lead single... the rest of the 4 POP singles did relatively well on the U.S. charts...for example Staring at the Sun went to #4 in airplay in the U.S..but in the end good POP airplay did nothing for the album sales sold squat and the tour did not sell out.

Get on your boots is a good song in my opinion but was too much like vertigo (for the mainstream casual u2 fan) ....without the commercial push that was required for it..if they did the iPod thing again for Boots (similar to vertig)...it would have worked great as the lead single; no doubt in my mind. Further, had they released the album in the fall of 2008 as planned it would have been a different story on the sales front. If you look back at Vertigo ...Atomic Bomb was destined for the same destiny as NOLTH in my opinion.....Vertigo had cracked the top #40 radio airplay in he U.S. before falling out big time one week later..then the ipod commercial kicked in...and boom...the single was back in the top 40 radio airplay for 2 months...the album sold 840k in the first week in the U.S.....then the grammy nominations kicked at the perfect time....and the xmas season sales pursued ..Vertigo maynot have been a #1 hit...but for all intensive purposes it was...everyone knew the song from the commercial....further the timing of the album allowed it to have grammy nominations in two seperate years....helping sales and keeping the momentum alive...NOLTH will not be so fortunate.....only one year of grammy's with no major category nominations...only secondary categories.

Was NOLTH a bust?....selling only 1M in the U.S...nope...did it do worse then ATYCLB and HTDAAB....yes....was it a timing and marketing problem....absolutely....would Magnificent as a lead single made this album more generally accepted in thh mainstream?....I think so .....even as a follow-up single...it did pretty well in the clubs...#1 in the dance club chart on billboard if memory serves me correct....don't forget U.S. stations were boycotting U2 after some remarks from Bono last April as well...that didn't help.

My guess is no more singles from NOLTH....they will let things die down for a few months and come back with an anthemic lead single from Songs of Ascent..and launch the mobile album concept that everyone is touting.....and incorporate the new album into u2360 tour..similar to zooropa during the AB era.

I agree with this entire post (and its long!).

Well, that would mean they would have the biggest selling album in the United States for 2009 if they had sold just 1 million more copies.

OK, 1M more might be stretching it, but it would have definitely sold more with Magnificent as the lead and a strong media tie-in from Apple. The BB blitz with Crazy was too little too late (would have helped the 360 tour in the US, but it was already sold out).

despite Discotheque being a flop lead single... the rest of the 4 POP singles did relatively well on the U.S. charts.

I disagree with this statement completely. IIRC, Discotheque was the last top 10 single for U2. In addition, Last Night on Earth, Please and If God Would Send His Angels did not fair well at all on the charts. All of the best-of remixes are worse than the originals in my opinion.

There's no doubt that Pop did not meet expectation for sales, but it's the last U2 album that challenged me as a listener (as much as I like NLOTH, it's a mix of old and new U2 that I enjoy, but I'm not challenged by) and I think that's why I love it.

I disagree with this statement completely. IIRC, Discotheque was the last top 10 single for U2. In addition, Last Night on Earth, Please and If God Would Send His Angels did not fair well at all on the charts. All of the best-of remixes are worse than the originals in my opinion.

There's no doubt that Pop did not meet expectation for sales, but it's the last U2 album that challenged me as a listener (as much as I like NLOTH, it's a mix of old and new U2 that I enjoy, but I'm not challenged by) and I think that's why I love it.

Let´s not forget that the POP singles were the last ones to be released commercially in the US. That´s the only reason for Discotheque to have made the Top 10 in Billboard.

Both Magnificent and Crazy Tonight were commercially released in the US. Even Vertigo had a limited 7" release.

Yes, I forgot about Magnificent having a physical (but very late) commercial release. Never heard about a commercial version of Crazy Tonight. As for Vertigo, that was a limited release as you said.
My point was that physical singles were way more relevant back in the 80´s and 90´s than they´re nowadays. The case of Discotheque is clear, the single sold 500,000 copies in its first week of release. Without them, there´s no way it had made the Top 10.

thought you folks may enjoy this link

Rock On The Net: U2

has a the complete history of U2 accolades...if you scroll to the bottom...you'll see the entire history of radio chart history for every u2 single....believe it is American top 40 radio play chart...check out how many POP singles charted....and how no NOLTH singles charted in the top 40...

Discotheque was a sales driven chart performance in the US and it was over pretty quickly. Its airplay performance was good for the first 2 weeks and then plummeted as the record company started to plug Staring at the Sun AGES before its physical release.

So in a sense both arguments are correct - Discotheque was a top 10 hit and it sold very well. However its airplay life was REALLY short so it wasn't as good for promoting Pop as the Oasis pastiche Staring at the Sun.

Beautiful Day and Vertigo charted lower because of the lack of sales points - downloads weren't counted and the physical release was VERY limited - a couple of thousand. However their airplay lifespans were much longer than Discotheque. However if you look at billboards airplay chart - discotheque charted higher there oddly enought. That's because US radio wasnt quite so segmented in 1997 and rock music was a more powerful component in billboards calculation. These days US airplay charts = R&B + a bit of Gaga and VILE country music.

Its like comparing fish and bicycles unless you really know your shit peeps. So please refrain from blanket inflammatory statements (except those about bad country which are TOTALLY OK )

as i don't have a best selling albums of 2009 list, yet...
I wanted to share this:
Magnificent was 2009's #1 single in Poland (sales+airplay) :applaud:
... :( with IGCIIDGCT at #52 and GOYB at #65 :down:
but a big :up: for Magnificent

That's surprising. Poland seems the only place in the world where Magnificent was a big success.

Beautiful Day and Vertigo charted lower because of the lack of sales points - downloads weren't counted and the physical release was VERY limited - a couple of thousand. However their airplay lifespans were much longer than Discotheque. However if you look at billboards airplay chart - discotheque charted higher there oddly enought. That's because US radio wasnt quite so segmented in 1997 and rock music was a more powerful component in billboards calculation. These days US airplay charts = R&B + a bit of Gaga and VILE country music.

Its like comparing fish and bicycles unless you really know your shit peeps. So please refrain from blanket inflammatory statements (except those about bad country which are TOTALLY OK )

Correct on the sales chart, but incorrect on the airplay chart. Billboards HOT 100 AIRPLAY chart has been using Broadcast Data systems to electronically monitor airplay throughout the country regardless of format since 1991. There is NO favoritism at all, just the facts about what is being played regardless of format and style of music.

Discotheque hit #22
Staring At the Sun #16
Last Night On Earth #74

Beautiful Day #19

Vertigo #30

All of these results for the HOT 100 US AIRPLAY chart which receives its information from Broadcast Data systems which has been electronically tracking US airplay since 1991. The airplay results are comparable and show that the POP album, to the surprise of many, received more airplay than any of U2's albums in the 00s.

Magnificent was very big in Iceland too, was #1 for 2 weeks if I remember correctly and was #2 and #3 for another five or six weeks.

I could suggest that U2 play a show there, but the problem is about a quarter of the population of the country would have to attend to make the show a sellout.

Back
Top Bottom