NLOTH Singles Chart Watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Billboard says...

Triple A
Magnificent #2 w/increase in plays (it's #1 on mediabase, which measures every station in the U.S. rather than just a sampling).

Alternative
Magnificent up 1 to #18 (#17 on mediabase as of today)

Adult Top 40
Magnificent up from 34 to 31

Mainstream Rock
Magnificent up from 37 to 32

Canadian Hot 100
Magnificent re-enters at 94

Japan Hot 100
Boots back up to 33

Top 100 Hits online
Boots holds at 19
Magnificent debuts at 65

However, talk of a second album has really died down, and I'm really starting to think it was just the usual Bono album-release bluster.

I believe they will have to release another album if they hope to sell-out stadium shows next year...and they know this. I don't think they can fill stadiums next year off of NLOTH only...unless this stadium production is more than we imagine it to be and the sheer spectacle of it will make us want to buy tickets next year too (BTW...I'd buy tickets even if they hadn't released NLOTH...I need my U2 "LIVE" fix every few years).

I believe they will have to release another album if they hope to sell-out stadium shows next year...and they know this. I don't think they can fill stadiums next year off of NLOTH only...unless this stadium production is more than we imagine it to be and the sheer spectacle of it will make us want to buy tickets next year too (BTW...I'd buy tickets even if they hadn't released NLOTH...I need my U2 "LIVE" fix every few years).

They're already selling out stadiums...

But they mightn't when they come back to Europe and the US for a second leg each, a new album would increase demand again

U2 are selling out stadiums not because of NLOTH - at least not yet. There has been no real hit from NLOTH. One could argue that "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo" helped not only their albums but the corresponding tours as well. But right now, I think what's causing U2 to sell out stadiums is the U2 name itself! They are known as one of the best live acts to see. They have oceans of tremendous hit songs. Performed live, I've heard people around me say the've never seen such a good show with so many great songs. Add in NLOTH as it continues to grow and people discover it, and I think it will only help U2 sell out as the tour goes along. But for now, I'm not even sure U2 need an album to tour. Remember, U2 were selling out multiple shows 2 years after the release of HTDAAB.

But they mightn't when they come back to Europe and the US for a second leg each, a new album would increase demand again

They are playing different markets on each leg so its not a factor. Only a small number of markets will be repeated in 2010. The Edge has said there is no time line for the next album. It could be released in November 2009, March 2010, November 2010, shelved entirely, or reworked and released in 2012/2013.

Zooropa was not needed to sell tickets on ZOO TV.

I think having new material after a long period of no releases helps, but puting out more new material soon after the release of NLOTH will have little impact on ticket sales.

U2 are selling out stadiums not because of NLOTH - at least not yet. There has been no real hit from NLOTH. One could argue that "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo" helped not only their albums but the corresponding tours as well. But right now, I think what's causing U2 to sell out stadiums is the U2 name itself! They are known as one of the best live acts to see. They have oceans of tremendous hit songs. Performed live, I've heard people around me say the've never seen such a good show with so many great songs. Add in NLOTH as it continues to grow and people discover it, and I think it will only help U2 sell out as the tour goes along. But for now, I'm not even sure U2 need an album to tour. Remember, U2 were selling out multiple shows 2 years after the release of HTDAAB.

I think you are 100% right on this, Doc.

Mediabase Magnificent numbers from April 5th-11th in the US are in...

Triple A
Holds at #1
586 plays (+0)

Alternative
Holds at #17
912 plays (+33)

Rock
Up to #10 from #12
175 plays (+7)

Hot AC
Up to #30 from 32
518 plays (+44)

So this week on those formats Magnificent gets 2,191 plays at an increase of +84 plays from last week. Last week's increase was +201 so we may be starting to see a leveling off. This song is SCREAMING for some promotion :up:

whats the chances of hot 100 on airplay? assuming downloads stay as they are. presumeably it would need to go top 5 on the rock and AC charts at least?

U2 could blow it for goot w/Magnificent...

Mediabase Magnificent numbers from April 5th-11th in the US are in...

Triple A
Holds at #1
586 plays (+0)

Alternative
Holds at #17
912 plays (+33)

Rock
Up to #10 from #12
175 plays (+7)

Hot AC
Up to #30 from 32
518 plays (+44)

So this week on those formats Magnificent gets 2,191 plays at an increase of +84 plays from last week. Last week's increase was +201 so we may be starting to see a leveling off. This song is SCREAMING for some promotion :up:

Exactly right. I just looked at today's mediabase update, and the increases in spins have gotten even smaller, or turned into DECREASES, as is the case on Triple A. Of course, when you are at #1 on a format and being played on every station monitored (30), there is no place to go except down.

Still, so far, Magnificent has had a 5-6 week run with ZERO promotion in the U.S., and I really do mean ZERO. Boots video is still being streamed on most video channels. The album has been played at every commercial break for the past two NASCAR races (?). But the song Magnificent needs a video, a great b-side(s) that come along with any download of the song, and a front page on i-tunes advertising something along those lines. Instead, what we know so far is that it won't even be released until May 4 (too late to capitalize on the momentum the song generated ON IT'S OWN in the U.S.), and the "b-sides" are not even worthy, especially considering that most fans already have them.

Unless they do something quick to turn things around, IMHO (which matters not, I know), U2 will have missed their best opportunity for a REAL hit single, at least in the U.S., since Discoteque, which is not even close to the quality of song of Magnificent. Discoteque debuted at #9 on the BB Hot 100, then basically disappeared. I know Vertigo and BD made it onto the Hot 100 and regardless of position, were considered big hit singles. I just think Magnificent has the power of U2's only other #1 hits in the U.S., ISHFWILF and WOWY. I realize these days it takes a totally different approach to get a hit single. Since Paul M. gets 20% of an even 5-way split, he oughta be doing everything he possibly could to get Magnificent the airtime it deserves.

Instead, from everything I can tell, NOTHING has been done to push the song. Worse, the release date is ill-timed, the tracklisting sucks, and there is no video. The song has gotten to this point on U.S. radio on it's own merit, which would be fine with me if U2 didn't go on and on about wanting to have their music on the radio, reaching as many people as possible, etc.

End of rant.

P.S. It's not to late for Magnificent. U2 and Paul...SURPRISE ME!

Exactly right. I just looked at today's mediabase update, and the increases in spins have gotten even smaller, or turned into DECREASES, as is the case on Triple A. Of course, when you are at #1 on a format and being played on every station monitored (30), there is no place to go except down.

Still, so far, Magnificent has had a 5-6 week run with ZERO promotion in the U.S., and I really do mean ZERO. Boots video is still being streamed on most video channels. The album has been played at every commercial break for the past two NASCAR races (?). But the song Magnificent needs a video, a great b-side(s) that come along with any download of the song, and a front page on i-tunes advertising something along those lines. Instead, what we know so far is that it won't even be released until May 4 (too late to capitalize on the momentum the song generated ON IT'S OWN in the U.S.), and the "b-sides" are not even worthy, especially considering that most fans already have them.

Unless they do something quick to turn things around, IMHO (which matters not, I know), U2 will have missed their best opportunity for a REAL hit single, at least in the U.S., since Discoteque, which is not even close to the quality of song of Magnificent. Discoteque debuted at #9 on the BB Hot 100, then basically disappeared. I know Vertigo and BD made it onto the Hot 100 and regardless of position, were considered big hit singles. I just think Magnificent has the power of U2's only other #1 hits in the U.S., ISHFWILF and WOWY. I realize these days it takes a totally different approach to get a hit single. Since Paul M. gets 20% of an even 5-way split, he oughta be doing everything he possibly could to get Magnificent the airtime it deserves.

Instead, from everything I can tell, NOTHING has been done to push the song. Worse, the release date is ill-timed, the tracklisting sucks, and there is no video. The song has gotten to this point on U.S. radio on it's own merit, which would be fine with me if U2 didn't go on and on about wanting to have their music on the radio, reaching as many people as possible, etc.

End of rant.

I would love to be part of U2 Management. I mean, earning top salaries for doing NOTHING. As far as I´m concerned those guys are a bunch of morons who don´t have a clue when it comes down to advertisement strategies.
Without a hit single this album will fail to attain sales of 5 M worldwide let alone match Pop´s sales.

I would love to be part of U2 Management. I mean, earning top salaries for doing NOTHING. As far as I´m concerned those guys are a bunch of morons who don´t have a clue when it comes down to advertisement strategies.
Without a hit single this album will fail to attain sales of 5 M worldwide let alone match Pop´s sales.

This album's release has been a disaster it's like U2 are trying to see how few albums they can possibly sell for a joke

I do partially agree. The album and single releases have been pretty poor for a band of U2's standard.

The Beatles get more press when they have something come out, and they've been long gone for a while.

I think U2 is still trying to operate in the past, and that just doesn't get it done. The iPod commercial was brilliant....but maybe they felt it was too much.

But when Bono comes out saying he wants to be heard on the radio...blah blah blah....yet they do NOTHING to promote a song or album....it's a bit odd.

and the "b-sides" are not even worthy, especially considering that most fans already have them.

Well, I can say that Boots remixed by Justice is a great b-side... and after all, we can't expect on fans buying to get a big hit single. And I think that Boots remix can help.
Actually, sucess-wise (not quality-wise, despite the fact that I love both versions, the original is way better) if U2 had released this version of Boots I could see that becoming a - worst case scenario - hit.

Agree with everything else you said. :up::up:

End of rant.

And the thing that gets me is that I'm sure there are TV shows that would love to have them come on and play a couple songs. SNL. Jay Leno. Conan O'Brian. The Today Show. This album is still the #1 selling of the year so far, THEY COULD MAKE IT HAPPEN IF THEY WANTED TO! It just makes no sense that they must know that this song has been picking up great airplay on its own merits and yet they sit on their hands and don't capitalize.

I totally agree with being frustrated as well when they constantly pop off about wanting to "connect" with the mainstream and have a big hit song save rock and roll. IT'S RIGHT THERE FOR THE TAKING. I agree this song has a U2 quality to it of those big hits and could break through in a big way if they'd show it to the country.

Pretty maddening :mad::mad::mad: Whoever is in charge of promoting this album had a great first week and ever since has done a piss-poor job! :madwife:

End of rant :ohmy:

Latest Radio and Records #'s for 4/17

Triple A
Holds at #2
565 plays (+9)

Alternative
Holds at #18
772 plays (-15)

Rock
Down to #15 from 13
137 plays (-1)

Hot AC
Up to #28 from 31
549 plays (+41)

So 2,023 plays on these formats with an increase of +34 plays :|

The increase in plays on R&R has been +250, +152, and now +34 in the past three weeks. So the song is definitely starting to reach a peak it appears.

I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread:

Radio and Records, and therefore Billboard, updated today and it looks like Magnificent has peaked in the U.S.

On Triple A
Magnificent stays at #2 w/decrease in plays

On Alternative
Magnificent stops at 18 with decrease in plays

On Hot AC
Magnificent moves up from 31 to 28 w/increase in plays

On Mainstream Rock
Magnificent drops from 13 to 15 with decrease in plays

In Canada, Magnificent goes up from 13 to 7 on the Rock chart, again garnering "Most increased Plays"

Now, on Mediabase, which measures all radio stations on all formats, Magnificent has peaked on Triple A as well...but it has been number 1 for 3 weeks now. Also, about 5 days ago, Magnificent began slipping on the Alternative, Rock, and HAC as well. However, that chart updates every day, and now Magnificent is rising again on all 3 of the above mentioned formats (not Triple A...but it's still #1 and has lost about 7 spins).

So, maybe the jury is still out, but it will take a great video, some sort of b-side(s) included with the download of the single, and perhaps a front page Ad on i-tunes during the week of it's release. I'm beginning to wonder if Magnificent will even be officially released in the U.S., which I think is a mistake. Guess all the promotion for singles will be outside the U.S., and the tour will be relied upon to help album sales. Still have to remember that NLOTH is the biggest selling album of 2009 by a 2-1 margin...along with an article a few weeks back in Billboard that pegged U2 as the "most pirated" band in the world...with estimates of over 1M downloads of NLOTH (or at least 6 of 11 songs) already.

Boots falls from 63 to 94 on Billboard's Top 100 Singles in Europe. Time for a new release!

And regarding Magnificent...a bit of GREAT NEWS!

Billboard tracks the Top 15 songs in all of Europe in an AIRPLAY ONLY chart...and Magnificent had debuted at 15! Not sure how most countries in Europe rank singles, but if its a combination of airplay and sales/downloads, then the airplay part of the equation could very well be peaking across Europe by May 4.

Also, even though the chart only shows the Top 15 most played songs in Europe, it does show "last week", and Magnificent was #24 a week ago. Hope it hits #1, as Airplay is more important for album sales anyway.

Magnificent up at #3 (#8) in Italy on airplays!!!!!!
in Canada #54 (#75) in top 100 most played songs in the radio!

Top 100 hits online in the U.S.

Boots slips 2 spots to 21 in it's 10th week. It has had a decent run on this chart, most likely due to video streams, as it's all inclusive. It has peaked at #18.

Magnificent moves up from 65 to 52 in it's 2nd week. It's rising up this chart much faster than Boots did...and w/o the help of an official video.

On mediabase 24/7 charts, some good news as well.
On Hot AC, it continues at #28, but it now has an increase of 85 plays over the last 7 days...and just a few days ago it had dropped off to less than 30.

On Triple A, the song is losing a few plays, but it has moved back in to the #1 spot.

On Mainstream Rock, it holds at #10 but has seen an increase in plays resume.

On Alternative Radio, Magnificent has slipped 2 spots to 19, but on the other hand, it has now resumed increasing in plays.

For now, the progress on Hot AC is the most promising. If Magnificent can truly "cross over" in the U.S., then it could re-enter the Hot 100. I just hope radio gives it a chance.

Magnificent up at #3 (#8) in Italy on airplays! In Canada #54 (#75) in top 100 most played songs in the radio!

The data from Canada and the U.K. show the real picture. While the edit promo may have been released to radio a while ago, the song is only now starting to get significant airplay to the point where it's rising up the charts.

This song is also behaving more like singles used to - that is, slowly rising up the charts. The goal is for it break into the upper echelons (top 15 or higher), linger then slowly decline. Thanks to iTunes, sometimes a song debuts at #1 due to downloads (or sees a rise of 90 spots or more). But as this is the second song from the album, the release and chart patterns are more traditional.

The song deserves to be a hit and I hope radio continues to play it. They may not have like GOYB, but this song is the opposite of that. It's classic U2 but with a modern sound. The open and uplifting lyrics allow for multiple interpretations and it's just an outright good song.

Mediabase has updated it's U.S. and Canada weekly chart for the period of April 13-20. Mediabase also updates daily...more on that a bit later. For the most recent week:

Triple A
Magnificent #1 for the 4th straight week

Rock
Magnificent at #10 again with increase in spins.

Active Rock (hard)
Magnificent up to 38 from 42

Alternative
Magnificent slips from 17 to 19 but with increase in spins

Hot AC
Magnificent moves up 2 spots to #38

In Canada, on their Rock chart:
Magnificent moves up from 8 to 6
Boots falls from 32 to 48

Alternative Rock
Magnificent moves up from 17 to 16

If you track the daily charts put out by Mediabase, which basically is a real time look at radio play over the past 7 days, the news is even more encouraging for Magnificent. Especially considering that just a week ago it appeared it had just about peaked on U.S. radio.

On Active Rock:
Magnificent is now up 8 spots to #34 in just the last 7 days with large increase in spins

On Hot AC:
Magnificent has now gained 106 spins over the last 7 days and has gone from 46 to 53 stations in that time as well.

Now if U2 could just promote downloads somehow when the song is physically released as a single on May 4. A video couldn't hurt, either, as the GOYB video was actually better than the song and did quite well...but it came out long after the song did. How could Paul & Co, managers of the world's biggest band, make the same mistake again? In fact, U2 really don't need this supposed "5th member" as a manager IMO, as the "promotion" for NLOTH has not really been an organized, well-planned process.

Regardless, Magnificent seems to be continuing exactly on the path that Dr. Who pointed out; a slow but steady rise in Airplay for a song that's vintage U2 with a dance/rythmic theme that takes off in the 2nd verse. Too bad it has not been remixed yet, as it seems like a better candidate than Boots IMO to take off in the clubs. I would not be surprised to see some sort of remix come out, however, with future singles.

The increases just keep getting bigger on Hot Ac, folks. That's good news. The increase in plays for the period beLIEve just posted is +106 for that format. A couple days ago the song appeared to be losing a lot of steam but the Hot AC #'s are the bright spot :up::up:

Back
Top Bottom