NLOTH set for Number 1 here in the UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like I said a couple of weeks ago, there is NO way that U2 will sell more copies of NLOTH than Coldplay did with VLV.

- better first single
- younger band
- no real recession yet in june 2008

U2 will be very lucky if they come even close to the sales of POP which would still be a huge amount of records sold.

the recession has been going on for the last 15 months.

Illegal downloading data released.

Music Ally | Blog Archive ? More than 445k people downloaded the new U2 album illegally

BigChampagne reveal that more than 445,000 people illegally downloaded U2’s No Line On The Horizon album in the two-week period between 18th February and 3rd March from P2P networks.

And that’s just the ones that BigChampagne tracks. The chart supplied by the company shows the spike in downloads following the album’s leak in February, apparently due to it being accidentally made available for sale on an Australian digital music store ahead of its official release on 2nd March.

It’s not great for U2, although they’re by no means the only band to suffer from a high-profile pre-release leak in this way. Would all those 445,000 people have bought the album if they didn’t have BitTorrent clients? Nobody knows for sure.

“They’re probably losing out, but to find out how much, you’d have to get into the head of every music fan and assess whether they would have bought the album if they hadn’t gotten it for free,” says BigChampagne’s Eric Garland. “It’s a philosophical debate – there’s no resolution.”

They oviously overlook the possibility of buying the album AND downloading it as soon as it became available?
Somehow 445,000 doesnt sound like too many for me. More people have bought it by now!

that 445,000 is probably just from one bit torrent website?, not to mention all the other places that it could of been got hold of for free, limewire, kazaa etc.

the recession has been going on for the last 15 months.

True, but really, it's only being felt now. When "Viva..." was released, people still had jobs and the economy wasn't taking nearly as bad.

As the year progressed, the housing market collapsed, jobs dried up and stocks have plummeted to levels not seen since the mid-90's. Quite a lot has happened in a short time.

Still, I don't think the economy is a huge factor for an album. I do feel it plays a role, but not huge. I would say the first single is big. If "Magnificent" takes off, then NLOTH will be around for a while. U2 did great timing, releasing the song to radio the week of the album's release. I hope it works!

I admit to downloading it illegally - I couldn't wait.

Of course, I now have also bought 3 copies and will buy more (for car, friends, etc.). All of my three copies were the more deluxe or vinyl versions. Now I want some "normal" versions (and maybe some deluxe to save - one to play with, one for posterity :D ).

In other words, U2 not only got tons of $$ from me on legit sales, but I have a feeling I am far from unique in the U2 world. U2 fans like their CD's. :yes:

True, but really, it's only being felt now. When "Viva..." was released, people still had jobs and the economy wasn't taking nearly as bad.

As the year progressed, the housing market collapsed, jobs dried up and stocks have plummeted to levels not seen since the mid-90's. Quite a lot has happened in a short time.

Still, I don't think the economy is a huge factor for an album. I do feel it plays a role, but not huge. I would say the first single is big. If "Magnificent" takes off, then NLOTH will be around for a while. U2 did great timing, releasing the song to radio the week of the album's release. I hope it works!

I admit to downloading it illegally - I couldn't wait.

Of course, I now have also bought 3 copies and will buy more (for car, friends, etc.). All of my three copies were the more deluxe or vinyl versions. Now I want some "normal" versions (and maybe some deluxe to save - one to play with, one for posterity :D ).

In other words, U2 not only got tons of $$ from me on legit sales, but I have a feeling I am far from unique in the U2 world. U2 fans like their CD's. :yes:

You are very correct.

I think I have "stolen" 5 songs ever from U2. Windows in the Sky along with a live version of Bad from Live Aid and a live version of Angel of Harlem (both which I dont think were available to buy anyway) along with probably 2 other songs!

Compare to that, the 16 albums I have, 3 gigs I have attended thus far, about 3-4 singles, countless DVD's and Video's and a U2 T-shirt from the Vertigo Tour. I'm not going to bother adding up how much that all would have cost but I'm sure Bono and the Boys wouldnt deny us a few free songs!

I decided not to download the album though. Wanted to wait until it was officially released. Theres something more special about hearing it when it comes out on CD. Maybe I'm just old fashioned!

GOYB has been removed from the radio1 and radio 2 playlists in UK. Time for a second single! I think generally there seems to be a lot less time between single releases now than 4 years ago. Vertigo kept HTDAAB going right through till end of Jan by which time it was time for single #2. but now boots has already vanished (rarely to be heard again) just 1 week after the album release.

Platinum on debut most likely means units shipped to stores, not sold to customers. They anticipated that U2 would at least sell 70K units in the next few weeks, so shipping that many was a safe bet. And U2 sold a heartbeat shy of 30K to actual consumers. Not the numbers of Coldplay, but then, can Coldplay do this 25 years from now? And you know the album will get a HUGE boost once U2 tours there.

Plus, while NLOTH was released at the same time of the year as "Viva...", the economy is a LOT different this year as compared to last year, around the world. Based on news stories I've read, Australia has been pretty badly hit by not just the economy but fires. Combine the two and guess where money will be spent? Albums or life? :hmm:

Isn´t March a quieter month for sales than June? I mean, unless I´m mistaken VLV was released in June 2008.

Isn´t March a quieter month for sales than June? I mean, unless I´m mistaken VLV was released in June 2008.

You're right. For some reason, I kept thinking "Viva..." was released last March. But it was early summer. And that time frame does see a boost in sales (the "kids out of school" factor - same reasons why movies do well in the summer).

So really, it's best to compare total sales, not first week sales. And based on that, to date, HTDAAB has outsold "Viva..." worldwide.

But still selling more than 2 new releases, one that had a "hit" single and is massively popular amounst teenage girls, but people forget to mention that,

But still selling more than 2 new releases, one that had a "hit" single and is massively popular amounst teenage girls, but people forget to mention that,

I didn't selectively leave it out. I was just informing of the sales amount recorded. The fact that it is at Number 1 for the second week in a row has already been mentioned. And I think that is a great feat.

Back
Top Bottom