N.A. Radio Play by Format, Billboard, & Video charts for Week 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Peeling off those Dollar Bills
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-04-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
Refugee
 
beLIEve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,079
Local Time: 04:16 AM
N.A. Radio Play by Format, Billboard, & Video charts for Week 19

The first chart of the week has been updated, the MGB Top 40. Sometimes debuted last week just outside the Top 40 at 46...this week it rises 10 spots to 36. This chart measures song success in the midwest, not exactly U2's strongest area but better than you might think.

MGB TOP 40 CHART
APRIL 3 - 9, 2005
CHART WEEK #23 of 2005

TW LW 2W Single by Artist {Weeks Top 40, Top 10, @ #1} Peak
40. 37. 36. I Don't Want To Be - Gavin DeGraw {31, 9, 3} #1
39. --- --- Work - Jimmy Eat World {debut} #39
38. 32. 25. Lovers & Friends - Lil' Jon & The Eastside Boyz {14, 1} #10
37. 28. 23. Sunday Morning - Maroon 5 {17, 4} #6
36. --- --- Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - U2 {debut} #36
__________________

beLIEve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:51 AM   #2
War Child
 
ybird3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Wales - UK
Posts: 705
Local Time: 08:16 AM
where is U2's strongest area in the US ?
__________________

ybird3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:04 AM   #3
Refugee
 
beLIEve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,079
Local Time: 04:16 AM
Amazon.com snapshot

Several folks have asked for Amazon.com Album sales. Since the chart updates every hour, it's hard to do this with any consistency, unless I just update every Monday morning so we have a reference point. So, here it is:

Top 775 (11 Albums)

12 HTDAAB
143 B/O 1990 to 2000
155 B/O 1980 to 2000 (Someone alert Jick...'90's actually higher than '80's!)
215 Joshua Tree
334 ATYCLB
385 Achtung Baby
497 War
595 October
607 Unforgettable Fire
681 Boy
774 Rattle & Hum
********
1989 Zooropa
2727 POP

The tour is helping the back catalog, especially the albums that have songs in the setlist.
beLIEve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:24 AM   #4
Refugee
 
beLIEve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,079
Local Time: 04:16 AM
Re: Amazon.com snapshot

Quote:
Originally posted by beLIEve
Several folks have asked for Amazon.com Album sales. Since the chart updates every hour, it's hard to do this with any consistency, unless I just update every Monday morning so we have a reference point. So, here it is:

Top 775 (11 Albums)

12 HTDAAB
143 B/O 1990 to 2000
155 B/O 1980 to 2000 (Someone alert Jick...'90's actually higher than '80's!)
215 Joshua Tree
334 ATYCLB
385 Achtung Baby
497 War
595 October
607 Unforgettable Fire
681 Boy
774 Rattle & Hum
********
1989 Zooropa
2727 POP

The tour is helping the back catalog, especially the albums that have songs in the setlist.
****************************************************

I actually do have a previous reference point, as the following was posted on 3/22 (11:42 AM) after the R&R HoF had aired 4 times on VH-1. Here was the Amazon sales chart at that time;

Amazon Top 1402 album sales 3/22 11:42 AM:

8 - HTDAAB
66 - Best of 1980-1990
114 - The Joshua Tree
165 - Best of 1990 - 2000
290 - Achtung Baby
291 - ATYCLB
387 - War
735 - October
774 - HTDAAB limited Ed
810 - Boy
846 - Rattle and Hum
1040 - Unforgettable Fire
1190 - Pop
1401 - Zooropa

****************************************************
beLIEve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:35 AM   #5
Refugee
 
beLIEve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,079
Local Time: 04:16 AM
Just a wild guess...

Quote:
Originally posted by ybird3k
where is U2's strongest area in the US ?
There is no actual support of the following guess:

Top Markets for U2:

1) Northeast, including Boston & NYC
2) Southwest, including Southern CA, Las Vegas, Tempe, Denver
3) Upper Midwest, including Chicago, Minn/St. Paul, Cleveland

That's my guess for the top 3, which closely resembles the tour. That being said, U2 is strong in Florida, Atlanta, Nashville, Texas, Seattle, the mid-Atlantic...just about everywhere. Smaller cities and rural areas in the South, which includes me, may be the weakest U2 market, but we're still great fans!

Maybe someone else has more than just a guess...
beLIEve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 04:37 AM   #6
Refugee
 
beLIEve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,079
Local Time: 04:16 AM
I know it's not sales, but...

This chart may be the most important indicator of a Band's true appeal to fans. It's subjective and it's from the website Pollstar.com, which focuses on 5700+ artists and 50,000 shows worldwide. U2 will be #1 for a long time, as it appears they are going to Mexico, Australia, Eastern Europe, and maybe Asia? in 2006.

It's funny how this side of the business, which is the most profitable for a band if they do it right, ala U2, doesn't get near the publicity as album sales or even hit singles, etc. No band, not Green Day or Coldplay or anyone else, could sellout 110 shows or whatever, and counting, in 45 minutes or less across the globe. Yeah, a few shows may have some singles left, but they are all 99% sold out. Here's the chart, with U2 batting 1000 for a while now. Green Day has a world tour going, gets raved about everywhere, and they have ruled the charts; yet they dropped out of the Top 10 due to the new entries of Ozzfest, Vans Warped Tour '05", and Rob Thomas. (Green Day is good, I know, but no one can touch U2...take this site with a grain of salt )

POLLSTAR TOP 50

List updated every Friday.

LW TW Artist Power Index

1 1 U2 1.000
N 2 "Ozzfest 2005" .351
N 3 "Vans Warped Tour '05" .282
4 4 Dave Matthews Band .241
5 5 Coldplay .170
6 6 The Black Crowes .155
11 7 Kenny Chesney .153
3 8 Def Leppard / Bryan Adams .144
2 9 Jack Johnson .143
7 10 Jimmy Buffett .141
N 11 Rob Thomas .140
9 12 Green Day .132
beLIEve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:10 AM   #7
Refugee
 
beLIEve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,079
Local Time: 04:16 AM
First look at Radio Play for last 7 days

MediaGuide has updated their radio play charts for last week:

Alternative:

Sometimes falls from 33 to 35


College:

Sometimes falls from 85 to 88


HAC:

Sometimes rises from 23 to 22 w/bullet

Vertigo rises from 41 to 40 w/bullet


Mainstream Rock:

Vertigo falls from 29 to 31

ABOY falls from 27 to 37

Sometimes debuts at 46 w/bullet


Triple A:

Sometimes falls from 2 to 3 but w/bullet (passed by D. Matthews)

Vertigo falls from 33 to 47


Album Plays Triple A

HTDAAB falls from 8 to 14


Summary: Due to the way Sometimes has been introduced to different formats over time, it's rising on some and stalled on others. These charts are close to the trends we saw last week from BB and Records & Radio. MediaGuide only shows the Top 50 on each format, while Record & Radio shows that plus songs just outside of the Top 50, and Sometimes was rising on several other formats on that site last week. Remember, this chart is just 3 days off of R&R and BB, so it's like a midweek update.

If Sometimes continues to stall or even drop on several formats this week, then it might not cross over like we had hoped. This will be a critical week for the song, but not the album. Miracle Drug, COBL, OOTS, and even L&POE are waiting to be released.
beLIEve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:52 PM   #8
Refugee
 
beLIEve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,079
Local Time: 04:16 AM
Mediabase 24/7 Radio Play Charts

Mediabase 24/7 Radio Play Charts

LW: Mar 23 - Mar 29
TW: Mar 30 - Apr 5
Updated: Wed Apr 6 11:59 AM PST

Rank Mediabase Sortable Stats™ - Click any Blue Header Spins

HAC Format

lw TW Artist Title TW lw Move Aud./mill

18 17 U2 Sometimes... 1344 1337 7 5.598

Mainstream Rock

lw TW Artist Title TW lw Move Aud./mill

21 22 U2 All Because of You 195 224 -29 1.425
30 25 U2 Sometimes... 162 129 33 1.124

Triple A

lw TW Artist Title TW lw Move Aud./mill

2 1 U2 Sometimes... 623 561 62 2.766

Alternative

w TW Artist Title TW lw Move Aud./mill

34 30 U2 Sometimes... 665 610 55 4.019
beLIEve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:58 PM   #9
Refugee
 
bsp77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,956
Local Time: 02:16 AM
Re: Mediabase 24/7 Radio Play Charts

Quote:
Originally posted by beLIEve
Mediabase 24/7 Radio Play Charts

LW: Mar 23 - Mar 29
TW: Mar 30 - Apr 5
Updated: Wed Apr 6 11:59 AM PST

Rank Mediabase Sortable Stats™ - Click any Blue Header Spins

HAC Format

lw TW Artist Title TW lw Move Aud./mill

18 17 U2 Sometimes... 1344 1337 7 5.598

Mainstream Rock

lw TW Artist Title TW lw Move Aud./mill

21 22 U2 All Because of You 195 224 -29 1.425
30 25 U2 Sometimes... 162 129 33 1.124

Triple A

lw TW Artist Title TW lw Move Aud./mill

2 1 U2 Sometimes... 623 561 62 2.766

Alternative

w TW Artist Title TW lw Move Aud./mill

34 30 U2 Sometimes... 665 610 55 4.019
Even better than all of that is if you go to under Mainstream Hits (Pop), it shows that Sometimes... is doing very well in terms of taking off (+430 spins) and that 17 new stations started playing it last week for a new 215 spins. If Sometimes.. can actually reach Mainstream Top 40 (as this is suggesting), then the song could really take off.
bsp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:05 PM   #10
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Argentina
Posts: 425
Local Time: 05:16 AM
Soundscan
Issue Date: April 16, 2005

44 U2 HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOM 20,919 -39 34,227 2.613,082
Soldatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:06 PM   #11
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Argentina
Posts: 425
Local Time: 05:16 AM
US Summary to date:
from 15/11/2004 to 21/11/2004 - ISSUE DATE: 04/12/2004 - Week 00 - B200: -- / Sales: 3,206
from 22/11/2004 to 28/11/2004 - ISSUE DATE: 11/12/2004 - Week 01 - B200: 1 / Sales: 839,724
from 29/11/2004 to 05/12/2004 - ISSUE DATE: 18/12/2004 - Week 02 - B200: 2 / Sales: 288,466
from 06/12/2004 to 12/12/2004 - ISSUE DATE: 25/12/2004 - Week 03 - B200: 2 / Sales: 280,332
from 13/12/2004 to 19/12/2004 - ISSUE DATE: 01/01/2005 - Week 04 - B200: 5 / Sales: 299,645
from 20/12/2004 to 26/12/2004 - ISSUE DATE: 08/01/2005 - Week 05 - B200: 3 / Sales: 350,013
from 27/12/2004 to 02/01/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 15/01/2005 - Week 06 - B200: 14 / Sales: 94,815
from 03/01/2005 to 09/01/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 22/01/2005 - Week 07 - B200: 12 / Sales: 59,233
from 10/01/2005 to 16/01/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 29/01/2005 - Week 08 - B200: 13 / Sales: 48,557
from 17/01/2005 to 23/01/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 05/02/2005 - Week 09 - B200: 22 / Sales: 35,907
from 24/01/2005 to 30/01/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 12/02/2005 - Week 10 - B200: 28 / Sales: 34,370
from 31/01/2005 to 06/02/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 19/02/2005 - Week 11 - B200: 31 / Sales: 35,052
from 07/02/2005 to 13/02/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 26/02/2005 - Week 12 - B200: 34 / Sales: 39,648
from 14/02/2005 to 20/02/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 05/03/2005 - Week 13 - B200: 20 / Sales: 56,692
from 21/02/2005 to 27/02/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 12/03/2005 - Week 14 - B200: 41 / Sales: 26,532
from 28/02/2005 to 06/03/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 19/03/2005 - Week 15 - B200: 48 / Sales: 23,367
from 07/03/2005 to 13/03/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 26/03/2005 - Week 16 - B200: 54 / Sales: 18,882
from 14/03/2005 to 20/03/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 02/04/2005 - Week 17 - B200: 39 / Sales: 23,644
from 21/03/2005 to 27/03/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 09/04/2005 - Week 18 - B200: 34 / Sales: 34,227
from 28/03/2005 to 03/04/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 16/04/2005 - Week 19 - B200: 44 / Sales: 20,919

Total: 2.613,082
Soldatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:09 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Soldatti
US Summary to date:
from 15/11/2004 to 21/11/2004 - ISSUE DATE: 04/12/2004 - Week 00 - B200: -- / Sales: 3,206
from 22/11/2004 to 28/11/2004 - ISSUE DATE: 11/12/2004 - Week 01 - B200: 1 / Sales: 839,724
from 29/11/2004 to 05/12/2004 - ISSUE DATE: 18/12/2004 - Week 02 - B200: 2 / Sales: 288,466
from 06/12/2004 to 12/12/2004 - ISSUE DATE: 25/12/2004 - Week 03 - B200: 2 / Sales: 280,332
from 13/12/2004 to 19/12/2004 - ISSUE DATE: 01/01/2005 - Week 04 - B200: 5 / Sales: 299,645
from 20/12/2004 to 26/12/2004 - ISSUE DATE: 08/01/2005 - Week 05 - B200: 3 / Sales: 350,013
from 27/12/2004 to 02/01/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 15/01/2005 - Week 06 - B200: 14 / Sales: 94,815
from 03/01/2005 to 09/01/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 22/01/2005 - Week 07 - B200: 12 / Sales: 59,233
from 10/01/2005 to 16/01/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 29/01/2005 - Week 08 - B200: 13 / Sales: 48,557
from 17/01/2005 to 23/01/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 05/02/2005 - Week 09 - B200: 22 / Sales: 35,907
from 24/01/2005 to 30/01/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 12/02/2005 - Week 10 - B200: 28 / Sales: 34,370
from 31/01/2005 to 06/02/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 19/02/2005 - Week 11 - B200: 31 / Sales: 35,052
from 07/02/2005 to 13/02/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 26/02/2005 - Week 12 - B200: 34 / Sales: 39,648
from 14/02/2005 to 20/02/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 05/03/2005 - Week 13 - B200: 20 / Sales: 56,692
from 21/02/2005 to 27/02/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 12/03/2005 - Week 14 - B200: 41 / Sales: 26,532
from 28/02/2005 to 06/03/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 19/03/2005 - Week 15 - B200: 48 / Sales: 23,367
from 07/03/2005 to 13/03/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 26/03/2005 - Week 16 - B200: 54 / Sales: 18,882
from 14/03/2005 to 20/03/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 02/04/2005 - Week 17 - B200: 39 / Sales: 23,644
from 21/03/2005 to 27/03/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 09/04/2005 - Week 18 - B200: 34 / Sales: 34,227
from 28/03/2005 to 03/04/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 16/04/2005 - Week 19 - B200: 44 / Sales: 20,919

Total: 2.613,082
Thanks SOLDATTI for the numbers! Once again, Soundscan is ahead of HITS and BOMB sales 20,919 copies!
STING2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:33 AM   #13
Refugee
 
beLIEve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,079
Local Time: 04:16 AM
Billboard, ARC, Canada, Radio and Records, Europe, etc, Week 19

Billboard:

Albums

HTDAAB at 44 on Hot 200

Best of 1980-90 at 18 on Catalog Chart
(Dark side of Mood from PF is 16)

Best of " " " at 186 on BB Comprehensive Top 200

Internet Album Sales

HTDAAB slips from 7 to 12

Singles

Hot 100

Sometimes debuts at 99 with a bullet

Hot Digital Tracks

Vertigo rises 6 spots to 32 with a bullet

Modern Rock Tracks

Sometimes rises from 31 to 30 with/bulllet

Adult Top 40

Sometimes rises to 17 w/bullet and "Airpower" designation

Mainstream Rock

Korn is at 38 with Another "Brick in the Wall"...a Pink Floyd song
To be fair, Joe Cocker is at 32 on AC with "One",,,a U2 song

Canada BB Singles (sales)

ABOY still #1

Vertigo Max Single #4

Vertigo Single # 6

Sometimes Single #8

No Pink Floyd in sight

BB Europe Top 100 Albums

HTDAAB goes from 14 to 16

BB Europe Top 100 Singles

Sometimes at 54 down from 46

***************************************************

From Rock on the Net:

American Radio Charts

Sometimes moves up to 33 w/bullet

***************************************************

From Records and Radio

HAC format

Sometimes moves to 17 w/bullet

Active Rock Format

Sometimes at #2 "New and Active"

Rock Format

ABOY at #23 down 1 spot

Vertigo #4 on "Most played recurrents, good for #19 on main chart...

Alternative

Sometimes at 33 with a bullet

Triple A

Sometimes jumps to #1

Sometimes #3 on "Most Adds"

***************************************************

Rest of Canada...from "JAM!" music charts

All Albums

HTDAAB at 17 down 1 spot

Alternative Albums

HTDAAB down one spot to 9

Besto of 1980 to 1990 down to 37 from 29

Singles (airplay only)

Sometimes goes from 17 to 10 w/bullet

ABOY drops from 28 to 40

Vertigo still hanging in at 91

***************************************************

Summary

Sometimes has had a stop & go run on the charts, but at least it's clearly back to "go". ABOY never cracked the Top 100, as it stalled at 107. Sometimes did rise from 109 to 99 this week to crack this mainstream music chart. It was released to maintream radio on March 29, so it charted a week earlier and on every other format it is on, it is back to rising and/or getting increased airplay after a brief lull last week.

Pink Floyd is my 2nd favorite band, but no major chart news. I did like the Division Bell and saw them on tour in 1994 at Vanderbilt. Definitely a top notch act. It is possible to like both bands and as such, not give a crap about how they compare to each other on the charts or on tour. End of Summary.
beLIEve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:20 AM   #14
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Argentina
Posts: 425
Local Time: 05:16 AM
ABOY reached #101 inthe Bubbling under Hot 100...
Soldatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:20 AM   #15
Refugee
 
beLIEve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,079
Local Time: 04:16 AM
Video charts

VH-1 and Much Music have not updated yet for this week, but the MTV charts have finally updated online after 3 weeks...

This weeks chart, dated March 28 through April 4, has

Sometimes at the highest debut - all the way to #5

ABOY only reached 12 on this chart. The only reason I think this matters is that U2 is still bringing on new fans in the 13-22 demographic, which is close to MTV's audience I think.

The singles strategy for U2 has been criticized by me and others, as the promotion behind Vertigo helped make it a monster hit. Now, however, as Vertigo is still being played quite a bit, it's obvious the song is a hit w/o all the promotion. With ABOY and Sometimes, it's almost like U2 wanted to quietly release two singles w/o promotion - especially for Sometimes - and just see if the songs could catch on and get played on the radio just on their own merit. If that was their intention, they can take satisfaction in seing their songs do quite well on radio w/o heavy promotion. Sometimes is a perfect example...no official release, nothing at all from U2.com, and yet radio play has taken off...
__________________

beLIEve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com