Most #1 albums in the U.S.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
I thought this would be interesting to pass along:

When How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb was released, it became U2's sixth chart topper on the Billboard album chart in the U.S. As a result, they are now in the top ten overall, which is very impressive.

Bruce Springsteen's Devils & Dust hit number one this week, so he's moved ahead of U2 by one now.

Most #1 albums in the U.S. (source - Billboard)

1. The Beatles (19)
2. Elvis Presley (10)
3. The Rolling Stones (9)
4. (tie) Barbra Streisand (8)
Garth Brooks (8)
6. (tie) Elton John (7)
Paul McCartney/Wings (7)
Led Zeppelin (7)
Bruce Springsteen (7)
10. (tie) Jay-Z (6)*
U2 (6)

*Jay-Z has had collaborative albums with other artists that have hit number one, but those are not included.

Notes:

U2's Best of 1980-1990 peaked at #2, but if you recall, there were two versions available - the limited edition version and the basic version. Because of this, they had different SKU's, so both ended up charting separately (the basic version peaked somewhere around #42 I believe). If the sales of both versions had been combined, I'd bet that it would have been #1 as well. Releasing two versions hurt them in this respect.

The same thing happened with Best of 1990-2000. The two-disc version peaked at #3. If there had only been one version of this compilation, U2 might have had another #1 album.

Regardless of this, U2's feat is still quite impressive.

Yes, v.interesting. I didn't quite realise U2 would be in the top 10 for most #1 albums in US. Thanks for the post.

BTW - In the UK U2 are now 3rd (= with Queen & Abba) on the most #1 albums of all time list. Here's the top 4 :

1. The Beatles - 15
2= Stones/Elvis - 10
3= U2/Queen/Abba - 9
4= Michael Jackson/David Bowie/Madonna/Led Zep - 8

:) :up:

I believe every album that U2 has put out since War has got to #1 here in Canada.

Yahweh said:
I believe every album that U2 has put out since War has got to #1 here in Canada.

I think Achtung Baby and RAH both peaked at # 2. However it matters little as they have been certified diamond and 7x Platinum respectively.

The 2 disc Best of 1980-1990 was the only version available the first week, the week it hit #2. Also, Alanis Morrissette's album was #1 with a lead of ~200,000 units. U2 should have picked a different release week if they wanted another #1.

dopper said:
The 2 disc Best of 1980-1990 was the only version available the first week, the week it hit #2. Also, Alanis Morrissette's album was #1 with a lead of ~200,000 units. U2 should have picked a different release week if they wanted another #1.

....or they should have released the single disc version first (it's harder to sell a 2 disc set).

Last edited:
dopper said:

Right, I failed to mention that part, but still, if they had only released one version, there's a good chance it might have made it.

I agree it would have been tough against Alanis though. She was still selling well back then.

phanan said:

The same thing happened with Best of 1990-2000. The two-disc version peaked at #3. If there had only been one version of this compilation, U2 might have had another #1 album.

Regardless of this, U2's feat is still quite impressive.

Actually in this case, U2 were nowhere near reaching number 1, As far as I remember 1990-2000 sold 185,000, while Jay-Z i think it was who went to number 1 that week with over 500,000, and Destiny's child or beyonce (or someone like that) was at number 2 with over 400,000 sold.

Chino said:
Most of U2's album have gone platinum, if not all, right?

Chino

Yes in the US every U2 album has gone at least Platinum

JT - 10XP #1
AB - 8XP #1
R&H - 5XP #1
War - 4XP #12
ATYCLB - 4XP #3
UABRS - 3XP #28
UF - 3XP #12
HTDAAB - 3XP #1
Zooropa - 2XP #1
1980-1990 & B-Sides - 2XP (Double album so only 1 Million sold) #2
1980-1990 - 2XP #45
Boy - P #63
October - P #104
WAIA - P #37
Pop - P #1
1990-2000 - P #3 AND #34

Re: Re: Most #1 albums in the U.S.

04072511 said:

Actually in this case, U2 were nowhere near reaching number 1, As far as I remember 1990-2000 sold 185,000, while Jay-Z i think it was who went to number 1 that week with over 500,000, and Destiny's child or beyonce (or someone like that) was at number 2 with over 400,000 sold.

I couldn't remember who beat them that week and what the numbers were, but if it was that much of a difference, then no, it wouldn't have mattered.

U2 were #3 that week in the US I remember that well for some reason even though it was a very long time ago.

As for the 80-90 best of double disk in Canada it did reach #1 and very easily.

edge3 said:

....or they should have released the single disc version first (it's harder to sell a 2 disc set).

Actually, not so much. The first week sales of the 80's "Best Of" - which was the 2-disc set - sold 203,000 copies! That's a rather impressive sum - especially for what is a greatest hit set. In fact, the 2-disc set sold so well in Canada that it debuted at #1 - beating out Alanis, who is Canadian!!

In contrast, the regular single disc set only debuted in the 40's, so it didn't have quite the appeal of the 2 disc set. Had both versions been released the same week, Alanis still would've been #1 in the U.S. by a wide margin.

Originally posted by U2ulysses

Actually, not so much. The first week sales of the 80's "Best Of" - which was the 2-disc set - sold 203,000 copies! That's a rather impressive sum - especially for what is a greatest hit set. In fact, the 2-disc set sold so well in Canada that it debuted at #1 - beating out Alanis, who is Canadian!!

In contrast, the regular single disc set only debuted in the 40's, so it didn't have quite the appeal of the 2 disc set. Had both versions been released the same week, Alanis still would've been #1 in the U.S. by a wide margin.

The single disc version was released the week AFTER the 2-disc version which is why it debuted in the 40's (everyone had already brought the 2 disc version). My point that single discs sell better than 2-disc sets is proven by the fact that, to date, the single disc version has sold over twice the amount as the 2 disc version. And the single disc version is the one which is always on the catalogue charts. So, if U2 had released the single disc version in the first week (instead of 2 disc version) it would have stood a better chance of getting to #1 in US.

Last edited:
Then again, the 2CD version had been unavailable for a while in the USA. I think between the beginning of 1999 and the end of 2001, it was not available. Only at the end of 2001 did they start manufacturing it again (and even then maybe only for the Best Buy shops). So it has/had a limited availability.
And I think most of the die-hard fans would only buy the 2CD version anyway, because of the B-sides disc. Thus, they would've held out that first week and only buy the compilation in week 2 or even later.

C ya!

Marty

That's true - but this really only means that the record company knew/knows that the single disc version was/is more popular than the 2CD version.

The real truth is that the 2CD version would have cost maybe twice the price of the single disc version therefore putting off the more casual consumer & ruining the chances of it hitting #1.

Last edited:
Here is an interesting list of U2's albums ranked on the basis of the number of weeks spent in the US Top 40.

1)The Joshua Tree - 58
2)Achtung Baby - 47
3)ATYCLB - 30
4)Rattle And Hum - 23
5)The Unforgettable Fire - 22
6)HTDAAB - 17
7)War - 16
8)Zooropa - 15
9)UABRS - 13
9)Pop - 13
11)1980-1990 & B-Sides - 7
12)1990-2000 & B-Sides - 2
13)WAIA - 1
13)1990-2000 - 1

265 Weeks in US Top 40

Popmartijn said:
And I think most of the die-hard fans would only buy the 2CD version anyway, because of the B-sides disc. Thus, they would've held out that first week and only buy the compilation in week 2 or even later.

This is also a good point & you're probably right. But I still think that the single disc version would have sold more in the first week than the 2CD version based on what I said in my previous post. However I do now think that it would have been hard for the single disc set to sell more than the 460K that Alanis Morrisette sold in that same first week, considering that the 2CD version was about 240K short.

phanan said:
I thought this would be interesting to pass along:

When How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb was released, it became U2's sixth chart topper on the Billboard album chart in the U.S. As a result, they are now in the top ten overall, which is very impressive.

Bruce Springsteen's Devils & Dust hit number one this week, so he's moved ahead of U2 by one now.

1. The Beatles (19)
2. Elvis Presley (10)
Garth Brooks (8)
6. (tie) Elton John (7)
Paul McCartney/Wings (7)
Led Zeppelin (7)
Bruce Springsteen (7)
10. (tie) Jay-Z (6)*
U2 (6)

*Jay-Z has had collaborative albums with other artists that have hit number one, but those are not included.

The Rolling Stones missed an opportunity to tie Elvis Presley for second all-time with the most number one albums in the U.S., since A Bigger Bang could only muster a #3 debut.

Madonna has hit number one this week with her latest album, "Confessions On The Dance Floor." This gives Madonna six number one albums overall, so she has tied U2 and Jay-Z for 10th all-time.

1. The Beatles (19)
2. Elvis Presley (10)
Garth Brooks (8)
6. (tie) Elton John (7)
Paul McCartney/Wings (7)
Led Zeppelin (7)
Bruce Springsteen (7)
10. (tie) Jay-Z (6)*
U2 (6)
Madonna (6)

For artist who released their first album after January 1980, only Garth Brooks has more #1 albums than U2 in the USA.

Back
Top Bottom