MERGED ----> Week 3: Vertigo #44 on Hot 100 + Billboard Update: October 23, 2004

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
Week 3: Vertigo #44 on Hot 100

Hot 100: 46-45-44

"Vertigo" is having a very slow climb up the Hot 100 charts. But then, so did "Beautiful Day" - and that song lingered in the 70's when it first started. So at least "Vertigo" is lingering in the Top 50. :yes:

On the Mainstream Rock charts, it's now #10.

On the Modern Rock charts, it's now #2!! That's the highest U2 has had a song on this chart since 1997. :D Green Day's "American Idiot" has been #1 for some time, so it's quite possible the time is right for "Vertigo" to finally displace that song on top of the Modern Rock charts.

"Vertigo" also jumps from #23 to #19 on the Adult Top 40 charts - which is a VERY good thing. A transition to these charts should boost the song up further on the Hot 100.

It drops from #1 to #4 on the Digital tracks, but as I pointed out yesterday, the song is back to #1 on iTunes (most likely because of the ad). So this may change next week.

So while it still has a way to go, it's getting there!

Thanks Doc!

I think we may see an additional climb next week too, probably 2 more spots.
But not much more. We just have to wait and hope that it cracks bubblegum 40 stations before it looses steam. The I-tunes commerical could help.

Also, and of course this is a long shot, it'd be nice to see digital sales get added to the equation soon...

There is going to start being even more competition from Green Day. The radio (at least 96.5 in KC) has started playing another track from their new album, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams".

#2 on the Modern Rock chart is quite an accomplishment for this band, given what the chart has looked like for the last couple of years. It means they've broken through to younger rock fans, which I honestly didn't think was possible anymore. Just goes to show.

I'd also point out that it's the newest song in the Top 20.

I think the i-tunes commercial will help Vertigo quite a bit.

Keep in mind that this song STILL doesn't even have a video, which will also help.

I think these numbers are very amazing for a band that is 25 years old.

What other band that has been together this long could make this kind of an impact?!

I have only heard the song on the radio once since it came outl. It's pretty disappointing. :sad:

marythered said:
I have only heard the song on the radio once since it came outl. It's pretty disappointing. :sad:

I've heard it a few times, but only on one station here in Dallas since the day it first came out. It's a modern rock station - it's not on any of the Top 40 or Adult Contemporary stations here. Which I guess makes sense, since the Modern Rock chart has the song much higher than any other.

I've been hearing it on Mix 98.5 in the Boston area. This station will play U2 and Coldplay, but also a bit of Eminem, Madonna, Britney, etc. So it really is a mix, hence why the song may be moving up in the Adult Top 40 charts.

There's Mix 102.9 here in Dallas that plays lots of U2, from "Pride" to "Beautiful Day", but I haven't heard "Vertigo" on it yet at all, even on the first day of its release. It seems very conspicuously absent from their playlist, IMO.

I'm betting the farm on this! Vertigo WILL be #1 on the Modern Rock chart. This early in the game and it hits #2 in no time. It won't just hit #1 either, this one'll stick around for a few weeks there. :yes:

Personally, I'd like to get my hands on Jimmy Iovine's Marketing Director and strangle him. This is the worst marketing job since I don't know when. No video, and no CD with ocver art you can hold in your hands, or buy at Wal-Mart in the sticks for those who don't have high-speed Net access. The video will come MUCH too late.

Wonders never cease. :mad:

Billboard Weekly Update: October 23, 2004

Top Pop Catalog Albums - Best Of 1980-1990 - #33

Adult Top 40 - Vertigo - #19
Billboard Hot 100 - Vertigo - #44
Hot 100 Airplay - Vertigo - #41
Hot Digital Tracks - Vertigo - #4
Modern Rock Tracks - Vertigo - #2
Mainstream Rock Tracks - Vertigo - #10

Teta040 said:
Personally, I'd like to get my hands on Jimmy Iovine's Marketing Director and strangle him. This is the worst marketing job since I don't know when. No video, and no CD with ocver art you can hold in your hands, or buy at Wal-Mart in the sticks for those who don't have high-speed Net access. The video will come MUCH too late.

Wonders never cease. :mad:

I think you're right - to a certain extent.

The song was probably released to radio too early. Maybe 1 or 2 weeks before the video would have been OK, but not 1+ months.

I think the video will get heavy rotation on VH1, but the songs popularity on many charts may have died off by then.

Regardless, WITHOUT a video, CD single, or much else to back it up, the song is doing amazing on the charts.

Strategies have changed...

We all watch charts and get impatient with release of singles (or lack of in the U.S.), marketing of U2 music (they messed up with POP IMO), and the fact that crap musice can race up the Billboard Hot 100 while a great rockin' tune like Vertigo seems stuck on that chart.

However, I remember getting into the chart watching for ATYCLB and BD. (Let me thank DoctorWho, Sting2, WomanFish, and all the folks that kept us all updated back then!) BD really took a similar path to what's happening with Vertigo, except that it was a much slower mover on the charts. BD was released in the States well before ATYCLB, and it was released to radio only, so airplay was it for that song. It peaked on Modern Rock and Mainstream Rock first, as Vertigo seems poised to do now. Videos are late bloomers these days, and VH1 is about the only format for Videos, as MTV is a joke. FYI, I watched VH1's top 20 videos this morning, and Green Day's Idiot America was up 4 spots to #8. It's been #1 on the Modern Rock chart for 8 weeks and on the charts for several months.

Going back to BD...it took forever to cross over, and the song had peaked at 26 on the Hot 100 just before it won the 3 grammies - great news at the time - and the song still only jumped back up to 21 - again, only on Airplay. The rest of the singles of ATYCLB really didn't have as much success on the charts, but they were played enough and all had videos, keeping the ALBUM sales consistent. That's what really matters these days, and BD carried ATYCLB. In fact, I really wish they'd stop playing it even now. When U2 is done and over many years from now, it's BD that may be the song that most people - the casual fans - identify with when it comes to U2. That could change with the new album.

Anyway, back to charts and strategies. U2 releases Vertigo after Bono threatens to release the album on I-tunes due to the mysterious theft of a copy...

I-tunes, and LEGAL digital downloading, happens to be a media worthy story right now, so we are seeing U2 doing very well with the e-tunes fans and they're even being used in an add...which is a well-done add for the song, too. Meanwhile, the song is perfect for modern rock and mainstream rock, and it's moved up those charts quickly, and history tells us that songs hang around these charts and radio stations for long periods of time, especially good ones like Vertigo.

So, Vertigo will be #1 on the Modern, Mainstream, and Digital Charts (already happened). That will play out eventually, but then you see the video start moving up new charts. VH-1 loves U2, and MTV2's top played video for 2002 (not 2001) was Beautiful Day. The Video success will help Vertigo cross over even more and hang around in the Top 100, even as it slips down the other three charts. Then, Vertigo peaks on Adult Top 40 in the top 5, and a popular remix or the song itself will chart in the dance/club mix charts. BD remix hit #1 on the dance/club mix charts, as did the Lemon remix. Surely Vertigo can match that success. Meanwhile, the album is out and knocks Eminem off the top (I'm hoping on this one...starting to beLIEve...). Vertigo gets some new energy once again.

Then, just like BD, Vertigo hangs around so long and the Album is a smash hit...bingo, Vertigo gets at least one grammy. U2 will be playing small one-off's like they already have in the UK, and I think they at least win the "best performance by a rock band or duo" grammy, with a legitimate shot of another clean sweep. It may not seem likely now, but BD didn't impress me as a multi-grammy winner, and it never charted high enough to make it a shoe-in...but it certainly did chart LONG ENOUGH to warrant the awards.

So, that's a long-winded ramble on what I think U2 and Interscope wants for their singles. As Edge has said before, actual single sales are mostly just vanity, as it's costly and doesn't make the band much money. Now, using e-tunes and getting paid for that format makes more sense, especially if it helps with chart success (I don't know if it's counted, and I also don't know if U2 will be releasing Vertigo as a CD single in the States).

Regardless, what U2 are interested in are Album charts, i.e., Album sales. The grammies for BD gave the album a lift after it had already had good chart success. Then, an entire year later, all the grammy nominations and then the next 4 from ATYCLB takes it all the way to #10 again in 2002. Vertigo, HTDAAB, and the tour are set up the exact same way this time around...to maximize album sales over the longest period of time.

The difference this time is that I think Vertigo will not be the song that carries the album with casual fans. While ATYCLB was a very good album and the additional singles and videos surely had some impact on it's success, it really was BD, an amazing tour, all the grammies, and even 9/11 that pushed sales - again, just my opinion, and speaking more from a U.S. standpoint.

This time around, though, I think that U2 just may have a couple of Hot 100 top 10 hits (not Vertigo), and, dare I even think it, maybe even a #1 single, that will cause HTDAAB to blow away the success of ATYCLB. And, it will win it's share of grammies, but this time U2 will finally get what they deserved with AB and ATYCLB - a grammy for Album of the Year.

Anyway, that was the dream I had last night, no doubt influenced by pain medicine (ruptured disc!!! and severe Vertigo) and my renewed obsession with U2.

hi all,
i am from manila, the far (east) side, and it's been playing on
a top pop rock station since 3 wks ago. i hear it regularly.
dont you worry guys. and be happy... they're getting there.

honestly, i dont know about you guys. why is it being played regularly here on the opposite side of the world and
yet in some part of your respective countries, there's less playtime. not that the boys dont have competition here. this country is fond of sentimental, and yes bubblegum songs but
as i said vertigo is getting good exposure , a portion of it is being used along with other rock songs as an ad-medley of sort for a rock program. i get to hear it being played just before 8 am which
means most car radios are on and thus "prime time" hour.

Thanks for the grest post..but I'll (excuse the pun) BeLIEve it when I see it:wink:

Back
Top Bottom