MERGED --> U2 goes straight to no.1 in the U.K. + U2 top charts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 goes straight to no.1 in the U.K.

No surprises here (I didn't post this under the other "UK charts" thread because it turns out it's about Ireland and we all know Ireland isn't a part of the U.K.)

From the BBC World News, one hour ago (19:00 GMT):

New U2 album grabs chart top spot

The band will embark on a world tour next year
The latest U2 album, How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, has gone straight to number one in the UK album charts.
The band's 13th album in 25 years, released on Monday, knocked Eminem's Encore off the top of the album chart after three weeks out front.

Also new to the top five was Kylie Minogue's Ultimate Kylie, which entered the album charts at number four.

Girls Aloud held on to number one in the singles chart with a cover version of the Pretenders' I'll Stand By You.

Other new entries in the top 10 included Geri Halliwell's Ride It, Christina Aguilera's Tilt Ya Head Back, Brian McFadden's Irish Son and Shania Twain's Party for Two.

Girls Aloud held on to number one in the singles chart

The U2 single Vertigo, the first release from How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, topped the UK singles chart earlier this month.

It is expected to be followed by Because Of You - also on the album - after U2 shot the video in New York last week, where they brought traffic in the city to a standstill.

The Irish rockers went on to play a surprise concert under New York's Brooklyn Bridge, which will be screened on MTV next month.

Bono has also taken part in the recent rerecording of the charity hit Do They Know It's Christmas?, reprising the original lyric that he sung in 1984.

The Band Aid 20 track is released in stores on Monday and is expected to top the charts in the coming weeks.

Sales numbers for the Top 3:
1. U2 (230,000)
2. Eminem (110,000)
3. Robbie Williams (84,000)

The album sold almost 115,000 copies yesterday!

Bloody hell 230,000

That is shit loads. 60,000 more than enimem did in his first week. But he did release on thursday.

Still a massive number though.

Soldatti said:
Sales numbers for the Top 3:
1. U2 (230,000)
2. Eminem (110,000)
3. Robbie Williams (84,000)

The album sold almost 115,000 copies yesterday!

these are FANTASTIC figures for U2. I knew it would sell well in the UK yesterday, but these figures surpass my expectations.
The `buzz' around this album is quite something - indeed a bar I was in last night played the album in full !

Maybe my prediction of 2m +worldwide sales for the first week could be near to the mark - or even understated.

It just means concert tickets will be even more difficult to secure

Mike

If they close to 1m in the USA, the album will probably sell closer to 3m than 2m in the first week alone. WOW.

Media Traffic should be able to report numbers here for us

Back
Top Bottom