Media Traffic All Time List Updated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I´m with sting2 here. I cannot see how X&Y will eventually get to the 13 million mark.
As for singles, remember that, barring a few exceptions, the last singles from an album are not the most successful. Not that any of the first three singles from X&Y had been true monster hits either.
I would say that Vertigo was a bigger hit than Speed of sound, both in the US and worldwide.

MJDangerous said:

You are illogical. You say that the Bomb sold over 9m and X&Y will sold 11m which is not a big difference, but you give actual sales for the Bomb and you will still counting week after week, and you take as reference figure for Coldplay their sales only during their charted time in the mediatraffic list, it's totally unfair.
You have 2 solutions : You count only charted time, which mean 8m for U2 and at least 11m for Coldplay, or "final" sales (we will say until 2008) and they will be about 10m for the Bomb, and easily over 13m for Coldplay.
Don't forget that they will still releasing singles, their tour is absolutly not ended and many awards show still to come for them, and they are already over 8.5m !

I will be very happy that the Bomb is by far a better success than X&Y, but it's the opposite, numbers speak from themselves.

STING2[/I] X&Y has not generated a single like "Clocks" that generated massive airplay and was used by various companies to sell their product around the world.[/QUOTE] Besides movies and TV shows said:
Not that any of the first three singles from X&Y had been true monster hits either. I would say that Vertigo was a bigger hit than Speed of sound, both in the US and worldwide.

"Speed of Sound" placed #7 on mediatraffic's 2005 year-end chart. "Vertigo" did rack up more points (+15%) over the 2004-2005 period, though. In the U.S. "Speed" peaked at #5 in modern rock, #3 on adult top 40, and #8 on the Hot 100. "Vertigo" reached #1 in modern rock, #3 in mainstream rock, and #31 on the Hot 100.

I think it's fair to say that both were U.S. and international hits.

What you say is true but remember, downloads were not yet counted by Billboard when Vertigo was released. Otherwise, the song would have been a Top 10 hit on the Hot 100.

anglophile said:

Besides movies and TV shows, I would challenge you to name one product the song promoted. And, according to mediatraffic, "Speed of Sound" more than doubled "Clocks" during their respective years of release, though their points system is not based solely on airplay.

"Speed of Sound" placed #7 on mediatraffic's 2005 year-end chart. "Vertigo" did rack up more points (+15%) over the 2004-2005 period, though. In the U.S. "Speed" peaked at #5 in modern rock, #3 on adult top 40, and #8 on the Hot 100. "Vertigo" reached #1 in modern rock, #3 in mainstream rock, and #31 on the Hot 100.

But when the single of Vertigo released the charts didn't count the downloads....if they counted the downloads Vertigo goes to top #5 in Hot 100 Usa...now vertigo have 2 platinum in Usa like speed of sound!

Last edited:
Originally posted by fedeu2

What you say is true but remember, downloads were not yet counted by Billboard when Vertigo was released. Otherwise, the song would have been a Top 10 hit on the Hot 100.

Thanks. I was wondering why it wasn't higher.

anglophile said:

Besides movies and TV shows, I would challenge you to name one product the song promoted. And, according to mediatraffic, "Speed of Sound" more than doubled "Clocks" during their respective years of release, though their points system is not based solely on airplay.

HBO and several other cable movie companies used the song to advertise new movies they were getting. I can't name the others, but Clocks was everywhere, at least here in the United States, and I'm not talking about the bands video or normal radio airplay.

STING2 said:

HBO and several other cable movie companies used the song to advertise new movies they were getting. I can't name the others, but Clocks was everywhere, at least here in the United States, and I'm not talking about the bands video or normal radio airplay.

Exactly. PBS still uses it. You're right about Clocks' ubiquity (HBO, PBS, Peter Pan trailer, ER, etc.). My point was that it wasn't selling Honda Civics or home appliances.

fedeu2 said:
I think I´m with sting2 here. I cannot see how X&Y will eventually get to the 13 million mark.
As for singles, remember that, barring a few exceptions, the last singles from an album are not the most successful. Not that any of the first three singles from X&Y had been true monster hits either.
I would say that Vertigo was a bigger hit than Speed of sound, both in the US and worldwide.

We are not talking about tour gross, and not about singles sales too, but about ALBUMS sales. Coldplay have never sold many singles, but this don't mean that they are not massive hits. A single is not powerful when it sold a lot but when it push the album as high as it can in the album chart. The last single from X&Y, "Talk", has hit the top 10 nearly nowhere, but the album has climb back in the top 20 in almost every wountry, nobody care about single sales. So, when you say that "the last singles from an album are not the most successful" it's wrong, they enter lower in charts only because many people already get the album, but still that they push the sales of the album higher and higher.

You are all very conservative about final sales of X&Y because it's hard to admit that X&Y has outsold the Bomb by far (even if of course, it's unfair due to the clear highest quality of the Bomb). I remember all coments at the release of X&Y, any of you was thinking that X&Y will outsold the Bomb, you are laughting about this possibility and now it's a reality.

Sting, I can't believe that you are serious that 13m against 10m is not a big difference, common, 3m are US sales of the Bomb!!

Yes they are on their 3rd single.

Speed of Sound was #2 in the Uk and #8 on Billboard
Fix You was #4 in the UK and #59 on Billboard.
Talk was #10 in the UK and #86 on Billboard

MJDangerous said:

We are not talking about tour gross, and not about singles sales too, but about ALBUMS sales. Coldplay have never sold many singles, but this don't mean that they are not massive hits. A single is not powerful when it sold a lot but when it push the album as high as it can in the album chart. The last single from X&Y, "Talk", has hit the top 10 nearly nowhere, but the album has climb back in the top 20 in almost every wountry, nobody care about single sales. So, when you say that "the last singles from an album are not the most successful" it's wrong, they enter lower in charts only because many people already get the album, but still that they push the sales of the album higher and higher.

You are all very conservative about final sales of X&Y because it's hard to admit that X&Y has outsold the Bomb by far (even if of course, it's unfair due to the clear highest quality of the Bomb). I remember all coments at the release of X&Y, any of you was thinking that X&Y will outsold the Bomb, you are laughting about this possibility and now it's a reality.

Sting, I can't believe that you are serious that 13m against 10m is not a big difference, common, 3m are US sales of the Bomb!!

What is the ratio of 13 to 10? Its not 5 to 1 like the ratio of the Vertigo Tour Gross to the X&Y tour gross. The difference between the tour grosses IS A BIG DIFFERENCE. But the ratio between album sales if they end up being 13 million vs 10 million, is only 1.3 to 1. 13m is only 30% more than 10m.

When X&Y was released, BOMB was still going strong and people did not anticipate that it would taper off as quickly. X&Y did not appear to have as strong singles as AROBTTH so naturally people predicted it would not sell as much as AROBTTH.

No one here has a hard time admitting anything that is fact. This is chart sales forum, and if something is fact then there is no debating it. When it comes to predicting album sales, everyone is going to be wrong about what an album will precisely sell in the future at some point. Just because people may have underestimated X&Y in the beginning does not invalidate their estimates of what they think X&Y will end up selling.

X&Y is still to outsold the bomb actually.
It will happen, but it will take a few more weeks.

MJDangerous said:

STING2 said:

What is the ratio of 13 to 10? Its not 5 to 1 like the ratio of the Vertigo Tour Gross to the X&Y tour gross. The difference between the tour grosses IS A BIG DIFFERENCE. But the ratio between album sales if they end up being 13 million vs 10 million, is only 1.3 to 1. 13m is only 30% more than 10m.

When X&Y was released, BOMB was still going strong and people did not anticipate that it would taper off as quickly. X&Y did not appear to have as strong singles as AROBTTH so naturally people predicted it would not sell as much as AROBTTH.

No one here has a hard time admitting anything that is fact. This is chart sales forum, and if something is fact then there is no debating it. When it comes to predicting album sales, everyone is going to be wrong about what an album will precisely sell in the future at some point. Just because people may have underestimated X&Y in the beginning does not invalidate their estimates of what they think X&Y will end up selling.
30% is nothing when you compare sales between albums which sold 500k and 650k; But in a comparison between a 10M selling album and a 13M selling albums, this is really huge! Like I have said before, 3M are US sales of the Bomb so yes this is a big difference! This mean that if they finish really at 10m and at 13m, X&Y will be a so massive seller out of USA than the Bomb in USA + the rest of the world, so clearly it's a massive gap!

And sorry about my last comments, this forum is maybe the only fan forum where I use to go because all others contain to many crap messages. "No Dangerous sold more than True Blue because Jackson is a greatest artist than Madonna by far!!" this "because" was really annoying me in many forums, not here. This forum is really the one where people seem speak about sales figure without taking in account if they love or not the artist concerned. But when the name of Coldplay came out, many members here seem loose their objectivity, I don't know why lol. Maybe because medias of compare their respective career to many times !

MJDangerous said:

30% is nothing when you compare sales between albums which sold 500k and 650k; But in a comparison between a 10M selling album and a 13M selling albums, this is really huge! Like I have said before, 3M are US sales of the Bomb so yes this is a big difference! This mean that if they finish really at 10m and at 13m, X&Y will be a so massive seller out of USA than the Bomb in USA + the rest of the world, so clearly it's a massive gap!

And sorry about my last comments, this forum is maybe the only fan forum where I use to go because all others contain to many crap messages. "No Dangerous sold more than True Blue because Jackson is a greatest artist than Madonna by far!!" this "because" was really annoying me in many forums, not here. This forum is really the one where people seem speak about sales figure without taking in account if they love or not the artist concerned. But when the name of Coldplay came out, many members here seem loose their objectivity, I don't know why lol. Maybe because medias of compare their respective career to many times !

30% is 30% no matter what numbers you want to use. An Album that sales 1 million copies versus an album that sales 1.3 million copies, is the same comparison as an album that sales 10 million copies vs. one that sales 13 million copies. If your being "objective", I think you will agree.

Now, it is true that the gap in sales outside the United States would be larger if those sales end up as 10 million with 3 inside the USA and 13 million with 3 inside the USA. Then the comparison for outside the USA would be 7 million to 10 million, or about 43% difference. Still, I only use terms like "Massive difference" in regards to differences that have ratios of 2 to 1, 3 to 1 or more. If X&Y sold 20 million copies to BOMB's 10 million copies, I would say that is a massive difference in sales. But 13 million to 10 million is not a massive difference.

STING2 said:
The Media Traffic all times sales list which has albums from as early as 2001 on it has been updated. I never thought many months ago that these albums would get past or be threatening to pass HTDAAB, but here they are:
1. X&Y: Yes its true, X&Y is now at #13 on the list with 8.296.000 copies sold worldwide after 35 weeks. This past week it sold 83,000 copies, which indicates its far from being finished selling.

2. The Emancipation Of Mimi: is now at #19 on the list with 7.498.000 sold worldwide after 44 weeks. This past week it sold 78,000 copies. Unless it really starts to slow down soon, it may eventually pass HTDAAB in sales.

3. Breakaway: is now at #23 on the list with 7,082,000 copies sold worldwide after 62 weeks. This past week it sold 109,000 copies and is at #10 on the global chart. While its still 1.1 million copies away from HTDAAB, it is in striking distance especially with such strong sales at this point.

4. Monkey Business: is now at #24 on the list with 6.843.000 copies sold worldwide after 36 weeks. This past week it sold 112,000 copies and is at #9 on the global chart. It needs to sell nearly 1.4 million more copies, but with a sales rate of 100,000 plus per week, its not that far away.

And Back To Bedlam was #35 with 5.799.000 copies.

Updating those figures :
1. X&Y: #10 in the All Time list with 8.880.000 copies sold. Definitively ahead of the Bomb, still top 30 selling 75k per week.

2. The Emancipation Of Mimi: is now at #20 on the list with 7.735.000 sold worldwide and have drop out of the weekly list since one month. The album is dead, it will NOT pass the Bomb.

3. Breakaway: is now already at #18 on the list with 8,012,000 copies sold worldwide after 69 weeks. It is #13 despite 7 new entries in the top 9, still selling easily over 100k by week, should pass the Bomb soon.

4. Monkey Business: is now at #21 on the list with 7.685.000 copies sold worldwide after 43 weeks. As well as Breakaway it still selling pretty well, over 100k each week.

5. Back To Bedlam: now at #22 on the list with 7,571,000 copies sold worldwide after 43 weeks. This past week it sold 236,000 copies and is at #3 on the global chart. His run still pretty impressive and it should pass the 10m mark for sure now. It sold 199k in his poorest week this year so far.

It does seem rather strange how much higher Mediatraffic's weekly sales seem to be since they started showing the figures though. Bomb never sold anything like 63k at # 28 / 75k at # 29 (etc) - about 46k / 45k actually, in week's 38 / 39. & in week 41 Bomb sold 'just' 31k at # 40. Now the # 40 always seems to be above 45k !?

edge3 said:
It does seem rather strange how much higher Mediatraffic's weekly sales seem to be since they started showing the figures though. Bomb never sold anything like 63k at # 28 / 75k at # 29 (etc) - about 46k / 45k actually, in week's 38 / 39. & in week 41 Bomb sold 'just' 31k at # 40. Now the # 40 always seems to be above 45k !?

ye, i've noticed this too.

Back
Top Bottom