maybe we exaggerated the benefit of advertising?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

voxson

The Fly
We all remember how much advertising U2 got this year (through the ipod) and how big were the opening sales for HTDAAB, so much bigger than ATYCLB for instance.

However, here we are now, one year later, and we see that the total sales of HTDAAB more or less land in the same level as ATYCLB. The new album sold faster but not more. Is there a conclusion from that?

In my opinion, yes. It seems that advertising only managed to make people who belonged to the target audience buy the album a bit sooner than they normall would. People who would otherwise just stumble upon U2's new album at a record store and say "oh U2 got a new ablum out, let me buy it" now already knew it in advance and bought in on the first week or something.

It seems that advertising failed to persuade people to buy the album that wouldn't have been persuaded anyway at a later stage of the album promotion. So actually advertising only helped make an impressive start.

not really... the album has sold more than ATYCLB here in the UK at least, its mainly down to the market in the U.S. why the album is "lagging" somewhat

KUEFC09U2 said:
not really... the album has sold more than ATYCLB here in the UK at least, its mainly down to the market in the U.S. why the album is "lagging" somewhat

That is very true also in my country. HTDAAB has sold more than ATYCLB. Also the songs are doing better than those from the last album.

U.S. sales? Who cares... U2 made a great album (better than the last one) if U.S. can't see this (again...like with POP), than it's not our problem...

I agree but I think that the advertising campaign was mostly in the US so this is where I'm refering to. Did the advertisements actually help the album or did they just make it sell faster at first and then drop?

Bathiu, what country are you from?
The only two countries i previously knew of in which it was definite that HTDAAB outsolde ATYCLB was UK and Japan.

One could say Superbowl show, double-time Grammys, 9/11 all helped ATYCLB's sales.

It's interesting at least. I mean bands like Green Day and The Killers still have albums in the top 20 here in America and they were released somewhere around 49+63 weeks ago (I was just at the Billboard website) and U2's album is not in the top 50.

david said:
It's interesting at least. I mean bands like Green Day and The Killers still have albums in the top 20 here in America and they were released somewhere around 49+63 weeks ago (I was just at the Billboard website) and U2's album is not in the top 50.

Right now U2's HTDAAB is not even in the US top 200, but it has sold 3 million copies in the USA and it will be ranked as one of the top 10 albums in the USA on the year end album chart by Billboard. Green Day's album was just certified at 4 million copies and will certainly sell 5 to 6 million copies before it finishes its chart run. Its a blockbuster year for Green Day's album all over the planet and people are buying that album sometimes for reasons that have little to do with Green Day or even the music.

The Killers are brand new but still have yet to hit the 3 million mark with their new album. If they can sell consistently through the next 6 months which will cover the Christmas season, they will likely get to the 3 million mark.

Both bands have received heavy radio airplay for all their singles, while the only significant airplay U2 received was for vertigo. In light of that, the sales for HTDAAB are much more remarkable than sales for Green Day or the Killers.

STING2 said:

Right now U2's HTDAAB is not even in the US top 200, but it has sold 3 million copies in the USA and it will be ranked as one of the top 10 albums in the USA on the year end album chart by Billboard. Green Day's album was just certified at 4 million copies and will certainly sell 5 to 6 million copies before it finishes its chart run. Its a blockbuster year for Green Day's album all over the planet and people are buying that album sometimes for reasons that have little to do with Green Day or even the music.

The Killers are brand new but still have yet to hit the 3 million mark with their new album. If they can sell consistently through the next 6 months which will cover the Christmas season, they will likely get to the 3 million mark.

Both bands have received heavy radio airplay for all their singles, while the only significant airplay U2 received was for vertigo. In light of that, the sales for HTDAAB are much more remarkable than sales for Green Day or the Killers.

Your Green Day excuse made me laugh out loud.

david said:

Yeah,but if you haven't figured it out why those albums are in still in the top 20 in the U.S. AND U2's isn't then you're not paying attention to the fact that both the Killers and Green Day are getting the benefit of massive amounts of airplay on radio and U2 isn't.After "Vertigo" U2's other songs got virtually next to no airplay on mainstream commercial radio.

Bottom line Lots of radio airplay = album sales

I remember when Green Day's album was released after 3 weeks it was already starting to drop down the chart(in December 2004 it was way behind "Atomic Bomb") and when mainstream (top 40 radio) started playing the album in Jan.2005 then it finally started to take off,not before...same with the Killers.

U2DMfan said:

Your Green Day excuse made me laugh out loud.

Really,I don't think he's so far off the mark...I remember when people bought Nirvana's Nevermind just because it was the hip thing to do,not because they necessarily liked the music....when you see a bald guy in his 50's in a suit with a Barry Manilow album picking up a Nirvana "Nevermind" album...you've got a fad.

Yes, you´re right on the money here.
And don´t forget the age factor. While U2 are regarded as "aging" rockers, Green day are still considered young despite them being in their early thirties. I think Green day are experiencing the last wave of success in their musical career. Their next album will probably become multi-platinum in the US and that´s about it. Back to ostracism for good.

buzzkill27 said:

Yeah,but if you haven't figured it out why those albums are in still in the top 20 in the U.S. AND U2's isn't then you're not paying attention to the fact that both the Killers and Green Day are getting the benefit of massive amounts of airplay on radio and U2 isn't.After "Vertigo" U2's other songs got virtually next to no airplay on mainstream commercial radio.

Bottom line Lots of radio airplay = album sales

I remember when Green Day's album was released after 3 weeks it was already starting to drop down the chart(in December 2004 it was way behind "Atomic Bomb") and when mainstream (top 40 radio) started playing the album in Jan.2005 then it finally started to take off,not before...same with the Killers.

fedeu2 said:
Yes, you´re right on the money here.
And don´t forget the age factor. While U2 are regarded as "aging" rockers, Green day are still considered young despite them being in their early thirties. I think Green day are experiencing the last wave of success in their musical career. Their next album will probably become multi-platinum in the US and that´s about it. Back to ostracism for good.

Absolutely age plays a factor...you're right..let's see how well Green Day's albums will sell in 13 yrs. when they're in their mid 40's.........age descrimination exists,if you look at movies for instance.. remember when Arnold S. was the big action star?...as he got older his action movies weren't as popular....he was replaced by Vin Diesel and The Rock...now he's out of the movie buisness and is the Governator...... lol

Back
Top Bottom