Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way - Chart Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CosmoKramer

Rock n' Roll Doggie
My personal feeling is that this is the 2nd best song on SOE and one of 2 songs that could be radio hits (Summer of Love being the other).

The Best Thing peaked at #122 for most played on US radio. It charted on 5 different formats (Triple A, Hot AC, Alternative, Alternate Rock and AC) and was a big hit on Triple A (#1 for 11 days) and one of their most successful HOT AC songs reaching the top 15. The song was one of their biggest radio hits since the HTDAAB era. Perhaps the only odd thing here was that the song barely charted on the AC format, hitting #49 and then falling off.

GOOYOW peaked at #482 and charted on only 2 formats (Triple A and Hot AC)....it was a massive dud. :down::doh:

Now we get Love is Bigger and I personally think this song can surpass the radio success (mild success) that TBT experienced. Unfortunately, given U2's "new era" of crap promotion(yes, they performed the song on Ellen but did so acoustically....cause the drums and electric guitar only get in the way of this song and all), the song will likely need to succeed on its own quality.

US Radio Chart- #619 with 659 spins and 1.341 AI

Triple A: #23 with 239 spins and 0.504 AI
Spincrease Chart - #19 with 31 spins
Taking off Chart - N/A

Hot AC: #50 with 148 spins and 0.558 AI
Spinecrease Chart - #26 with 61 spins
Taking off Chart - #11 with 2 new adds

AC: #31 with 66 spins and 0.118 AI
Spincrease Chart- #7 with 118 spins
Taking Off Chart - N/A

The biggest thing here is that they really made a dent in the AC format and it is possible that o the Ellen appearance assisted this because 1) they were not on the chart prior to that appearance 2) the song just shot up onto this chart 3) Best Thing is also on the Spincrease Chart..... so maybe people started requesting the song?? No idea but I still wish they didn't play some stripped down weak acoustic version on the show (it was still decent but could have been one of those special U2 live moments....hell, at least there was no bullhorn).

Anyway, the only way U2 will get a true radio hit song is if this crosses over onto the Top 40 format and the only way that will happen is if it does well on AC and Hot AC given their "maturity" at this point. I hope this song takes off because it really is beautiful and appears to be one of the highlights in the live show too. :wave:

Thanks Cosmo.

Good jumps upwards again today on Hot AC and AC.
On AC it adds another 23 spins to get to 89 spins total and up to number 26.
On Hot AC it adds another 25 spins to get to 173 spins total and up to number 46.

Steady on Triple A.

Now up to number 36 on Hot AC, with 410 spins, and 0.990 AI. Hanging in there on AC and Triple A.

Now up to a peak of 31 on Hot AC with over 580 spins.

Also heard a remix of the song on Hits One on Sirius XM the other day. Another good sign.

Another nice jump for the song this week on Hot AC. Up to 26! It has now surpassed Get Out’s performance but has a ways to go before catching Best Thing, which I believe peaked at 14.

Think it’s now up to No3 on the dance club chart, per u2songs?

Well, U2 has been craving a dance hit since the ZOO TV days and maybe they've finally landed one.

Though I think EBTTRT was fairly successful too. Not sure on the numbers there.

Well, U2 has been craving a dance hit since the ZOO TV days and maybe they've finally landed one.

Though I think EBTTRT was fairly successful too. Not sure on the numbers there.

If I’m not mistaken, Discotheque was a top 10 dance hit but that was still 21 years agooooooh my God it’s been 21 years since POP? Fuck where did the time go????

Magnificent hit #1 on dance chart if I remember correctly

On a side note - big positive move today on hot ac and ac charts ... up almost 400k impressions collectively

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference mobile app

It’s up to #385 on the over all US radio play chart. It’s peaks are 2,101 spins and 3.718 million AI

For context:

Best Thing hit #122 peaking at 3,655 spins and 13.995 million AI

GOOYOW hit #482 peaking at 1,191 spins and 2.39 million AI

It’s still growing considerably well in both AC and HOT AC, so I see no reason why this song will not enter the top 300 and beyond at this point.

FYI. I heard the remix (w/ Cheat Codes) of this song on Disney Radio??? U2 did it!!

Lol.... if you asked Bono, he would say it's now just as successful as With or Without You.

Look, I really like this song and consider it amongst their best material(top 30 or so songs of theirs) but that Cheat Codes version is like a completely different song (beats and lyrics) and hardly recognizable as LIBTAIIW. Not to mention it is, IMO, utter and complete poop!

Lol.... if you asked Bono, he would say it's now just as successful as With or Without You.

Look, I really like this song and consider it amongst their best material(top 30 or so songs of theirs) but that Cheat Codes version is like a completely different song (beats and lyrics) and hardly recognizable as LIBTAIIW. Not to mention it is, IMO, utter and complete poop!

I agree the Cheat Codes song is a new song that samples U2. I wouldn’t say it’s poop, though it’s not my favorite genre.

The song continues to surge on Hot AC, with another solid increase in spins. But the songs around it are also surging, so this week it stays at 24.

Only 11 on AC, not on Hot AC. But it’s doing ok on both and showing some decent legs. Cosmo or someone could probably confirm, but it feels like the spins are doing well, but the AI numbers aren’t doing as well as the last few singles, with the same number of spins. You could spin it a million times but if no one is listening what’s the point!

Love is bigger is up on all Billboard charts this week. It's on Adult Pop, AC, Triple A, and up to #2 on the Dance/Club play chart (remixes).

On BB's "Hot Rock Songs", it is the hot shot debut of the week, coming in at #31 on the HRS Top 50.

Jmho, but I think this song did poorly out of the gate due to the video that was released. That was done by some group of students or interns and they went with a theme that just didn't mesh with the song. Then that live version done in Nashville only messed things up more. Maybe the new, special animation video will help listeners forgot the first 2.

Jmho, but I think this song did poorly out of the gate due to the video that was released. That was done by some group of students or interns and they went with a theme that just didn't mesh with the song. Then that live version done in Nashville only messed things up more. Maybe the new, special animation video will help listeners forgot the first 2.

I don’t think videos, especially for older artists, are enough to kick start a song but I do think they can compliment a song and make it more engaging to the listener and power it along. With that said, the first video was a embarrassingly horrible and you can add that to the list of ridiculous decisions by the band.

LIBTAIIW is up to #301 on total US AirPlay, which is higher than GOOYOW, which peaked at a terrible 482. TBT peaked at a very respectable #123.

With regard to spins, this song is kicking add at 2,707, which is higher than all SOI songs and just behind the peak of ABOY. However, as some have pointed out, it’s all about AI and that is where the song lags with about 5.9 million impressions. That’s a solid number, mich more than GOOYOW or The Miracle but far behind EBW(8.5 mill or so), Song for Someone (I think that hit 10 mil) and of course TBT (13.5 million).

The reasons for this is that it’s getting a large percentage of its spins from very low profile formats (Triple A and AC) but as time goes on (assuming it continues to grow) the impressions will catch up.

Most U2 songs have averaged .0044 to .0060 impressions per spin bit LIBTAIIW is at .0022, which is half that of the low end!

The big thing here is if it can keep growing on Hot AC and AC, it has a chance to cross over into Top 40 but that is a tall order for a band of U2s maturity.

One of the strangest things for the SOE singles for me was how Best Thing kicked ass(for a U2 song) on Hot AC but only hit #50 on AC. I always thought if it could break out on Hot AC and AC, it might cross over but alas, that never happened.

Make no mistake, The Best Thing, for all its faults, did well on US radio hitting the Top 125 most played songs and touching 5 formats (it also was on the "spin crease" chart for Top 40 but never charted).

With all that said....Love is Bigger is starting to SMASH the AC format. The other day it was the #1 song on the Spincrease chart and today its #2. Its a very small format unless you are in the top 5 songs but its cool to see U2 having some success on it. Now for the radio chart news:

AC: #11 with 554 spins and 1.645 million AI
Spincrease: #2 with 183 new spins from 79 stations
Taking Off: #5 with 1 new add for 21 spins

HOT AC: #20 with 1,254 spins and 4.663 million AI
Spincrease: #8 with 207 new spins from 102 stations
Taking Off: #11 with 2 new add for 39 spins

Triple A: #13 with 326 spins and 0.488 AI

Overall US Radio Rank: #233 with 7.660 million AI and 2,998 spins.

It has some very strong momentum on both AC and HOT AC, which is a good indicator as to whether it can cross over into Top 40. I will be curious to see if LIBTAIIW can perform better on HOT AC than Best Thing, which was one of the best performing U2 songs on that format. Time will tell but at the moment....Love Is Bigger is performing fairly solidly and its cool to see.

One of the strangest things for the SOE singles for me was how Best Thing kicked ass(for a U2 song) on Hot AC but only hit #50 on AC. I always thought if it could break out on Hot AC and AC, it might cross over but alas, that never happened.

Make no mistake, The Best Thing, for all its faults, did well on US radio hitting the Top 125 most played songs and touching 5 formats (it also was on the "spin crease" chart for Top 40 but never charted).

With all that said....Love is Bigger is starting to SMASH the AC format. The other day it was the #1 song on the Spincrease chart and today its #2. Its a very small format unless you are in the top 5 songs but its cool to see U2 having some success on it. Now for the radio chart news:

AC: #11 with 554 spins and 1.645 million AI
Spincrease: #2 with 183 new spins from 79 stations
Taking Off: #5 with 1 new add for 21 spins

HOT AC: #20 with 1,254 spins and 4.663 million AI
Spincrease: #8 with 207 new spins from 102 stations
Taking Off: #11 with 2 new add for 39 spins

Triple A: #13 with 326 spins and 0.488 AI

Overall US Radio Rank: #233 with 7.660 million AI and 2,998 spins.

It has some very strong momentum on both AC and HOT AC, which is a good indicator as to whether it can cross over into Top 40. I will be curious to see if LIBTAIIW can perform better on HOT AC than Best Thing, which was one of the best performing U2 songs on that format. Time will tell but at the moment....Love Is Bigger is performing fairly solidly and its cool to see.

Great news!

I work at a restaurant for a summer job, and heard the song twice on the modern hits station we play at work. Remarkable to hear, considering how we typically play your expected Ed Sheeran, Rihanna, and Taylor Swift. Good indicator for the band!

Back
Top Bottom