Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way - Chart Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, Billboard week of 28 July 2018:
#19 Adult Top 40
#13 Adult Contemporary

Let's hope it can keep climbing.

On the Adult Contemporary chart , Thunder by Imagine Dragons is #9 but heading downwards and so to is Wait by Maroon 5 at #11 . However, U2 is bunched with several artists who are still climbing just beneath it so it's a case of who has more momentum for U2 to keep climbing on this chart.

For the number person in you from the Adult Contemporary National Airplay Chart (issue date: 08-04-2018) . Tell me if the link works:
BDSRadio Charts.

It's quite a long way from #12 in plays at the moment though.

For the number person in you from the Adult Contemporary National Airplay Chart (issue date: 08-04-2018) . Tell me if the link works:
BDSRadio Charts.

It's quite a long way from #12 in plays at the moment though.

My goodness. Just looking at that top 30 chart...of the 30 songs listed, I've heard 2. Feel it Still, which I remember listing to LAST summer...and U2's song. I want U2 to do well on the charts, only because I know it's important to them, but my God, radio is just so irrelevant to most people's lives.

May it continue downwards and sink into the pits of hell never to be experienced by another living soul ever again.

I don’t care for the song either but what’s funny is last October I had some ridiculous faith that Best Thing could crack the top 100 singles. A lot of people hear felt if it had not done so in its first few weeks than it wouldn’t but that isn’t always the case. I used Thunder, a song I had never heard before, as an example because it was released to radio months earlier and it took 6 or so weeks to chart within the top 100 and at the time was at like number 60.

Then I heard he song and was like....it’s bad. Then I heard it again and again and again...this random song I used as an example turned out to be a massive hit. Yes, it sucks but it’s STILL on the charts after nearly 10 months!!

I don’t care for the song either but what’s funny is last October I had some ridiculous faith that Best Thing could crack the top 100 singles. A lot of people hear felt if it had not done so in its first few weeks than it wouldn’t but that isn’t always the case. I used Thunder, a song I had never heard before, as an example because it was released to radio months earlier and it took 6 or so weeks to chart within the top 100 and at the time was at like number 60.

Then I heard he song and was like....it’s bad. Then I heard it again and again and again...this random song I used as an example turned out to be a massive hit. Yes, it sucks but it’s STILL on the charts after nearly 10 months!!

Yeah . . . hits come in all flavors. Some shoot up the chart and hit #1 then vanish overnight. Others are slow burners.

Say . . . speaking of burning . . . did I mention I'd like every copy of Thunder to burn in the pits of hell?

Yeah . . . hits come in all flavors. Some shoot up the chart and hit #1 then vanish overnight. Others are slow burners.

Say . . . speaking of burning . . . did I mention I'd like every copy of Thunder to burn in the pits of hell?

Lol...you should start a thread about songs you hate with a passion by artists other than U2.

I would throw “Cake by the Ocean” (I think that’s what it’s called) into the ring.

Little change but at least upward in one chart

Well, Billboard week of 4 August 2018:
#18 Adult Top 40 (Up 1)
#13 Adult Contemporary (No change).

They are in the earn it phase of the charts now.

In smaller countries you can climb fast and go down fast. The American market is a lot bigger so chart success really means that people like your song. A slow climb is often pretty common for a successful song.

Well, Billboard week of 4 August 2018:
#18 Adult Top 40 (Up 1)
#13 Adult Contemporary (No change).

They are in the earn it phase of the charts now.

In smaller countries you can climb fast and go down fast. The American market is a lot bigger so chart success really means that people like your song. A slow climb is often pretty common for a successful song.

Now is the time for the song to be featured in a movie, a TV series or a commercial (god forbid). Something like that would send it through the stratosphere. Without it, the song will dent the charts and then bounce back into oblivion.

commercial (god forbid).

I used to think(and to a large extent still do) that a commercial would be the bottom for them. However, they are now nearing their 60s, so they are out of that “they are cool until they” faze(hint: they are not nearly as cool as they used to be), so why not a commercial? I mean, would a commercial be worse than the Bono, Adam and Kygo “Best Thing” performance on Spanish television?

I now open this thread up to U2 song puns involving commercials (sorry In advance for starting this)

I used to think(and to a large extent still do) that a commercial would be the bottom for them. However, they are now nearing their 60s, so they are out of that “they are cool until they” faze(hint: they are not nearly as cool as they used to be), so why not a commercial?

Oh they can still be cool as an older act (a different kind of cool - if that makes sense).

But commercials?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

What is Adult Top 40? Is that the same as Hot AC?

Wikipedia:
The Adult Top 40 chart was formed following a split of the "Hot Adult Contemporary" chart due to the growing emergence of Adult Top 40 radio stations in the 1990s. These stations played a wider variety of artists and saw a faster turnover of songs compared to traditional adult contemporary radio. Songs by modern rock, dance, and R&B artists were mixed in with acts more closely associated with adult contemporary. According to Billboard, splitting the chart "better reflect the music being played on adult contemporary and adult/top 40 stations."

So if that's anything to go off of... they're basically the same, except Adult Top 40 mixes in a few more upbeat genres than AC/Hot AC typically does.

I'm assuming that was an exaggerated statement as U2 have done commercials already. And why not - adds a lot of publicity.

Great.

I'll look forward to hearing Sunday Bloody Sunday on the next Band-Aid commercial.

Or maybe the Black Flag insecticide can be renamed Red Flag . . and then, you know.

ADT security - Lights of Home
Generac Generators - Black Out
Match.com - Love is Bigger Than
PSA for Beach Safety - Red Flag Day
Weight Watchers- Get Out of Your Own Way
Manhattan Psychiatric Center- Crazy Tonight

ADT security - Lights of Home
Generac Generators - Black Out
Match.com - Love is Bigger Than
PSA for Beach Safety - Red Flag Day
Weight Watchers- Get Out of Your Own Way
Manhattan Psychiatric Center- Crazy Tonight

Weird thing is that I can perfectly picture most of these in my head, haha.

Great.

I'll look forward to hearing Sunday Bloody Sunday on the next Band-Aid commercial.

Or maybe the Black Flag insecticide can be renamed Red Flag . . and then, you know.

:up:

At least you didn't mention tampons for the first song.:heart:

And let's not forget "Vertigo" advertising all sorts of things on TV (iPods in general, new U2 iPod, new U2, new U2 package of songs that could be downloaded, etc.)...or maybe we all already have.

:up:

At least you didn't mention tampons for the first song.:heart:

And let's not forget "Vertigo" advertising all sorts of things on TV (iPods in general, new U2 iPod, new U2, new U2 package of songs that could be downloaded, etc.)...or maybe we all already have.

Well the iPod thing was really U2 advertising themselves (that, and their upcoming album) more than the iPod itself, in a way.

It's done it's dash

Week of 11 August:
Adult Top 40 #18 (No change)
Adult Contemporary #18 (down from #13)
Dance Club #12 (down from #8)

Any irony in charting higher on the dance club chart!:huh:

Downsliding now although not that surprising. They needed a universal music video for the song rather than targeting just a niche of the population. Youtube is important and that video just doesn't have universal appeal. U2's Youtube numbers are pretty appalling across the board though.

Downsliding now although not that surprising. They needed a universal music video for the song rather than targeting just a niche of the population. Youtube is important and that video just doesn't have universal appeal. U2's Youtube numbers are pretty appalling across the board though.

Not sure what difference a video would make these days. People who want to see it will seek it out online in the Internet age. VH1 doesn't even have a countdown show anymore due.

I did hear Love is Bigger playing on the Adult Top 40 station around my hometown the other weekend. SiriusXM still seems to be playing some versions of it on its stations as well. So for what it's worth, these singles have probably gotten the most consistent radio play for any album by the band in awhile. Since HTDAAB anyway.

Have heard it on the radio several times. Heard it in a restaurant last week. Today, I heard it while I was getting a haircut. I think they're doing as well as can be expected, given their age and the public's divided opinion on Bono.

It sucks to see that LIBTAIIW seems to have hit it's peak. But at the very least, the band should be proud that they made a song at their age that was regularly played on modern hit stations. This was the first time since Get On Your Boots that I have heard a new U2 song played on the Top 40 stations, and that's awesome. Looking forward to seeing what Summer of Love can do now!

Every Breaking Wave and Song For Someone received relatively decent amount of airplay around my neck of the swamps, but I wonder if that had more to do with U2 playing at the iHeart concert thingy that year...

Also, while I'm ignorant as to the number of plays Ordinary Love received, I do remember the song being somewhat popular, i.e. it captured a "moment," where the tune seemed to hit whatever minor chord with the public (the Oscar and Golden Globe nominations, as well as closing Fallon's Tonight Show premiere, certainly helped). I'd say that song is by the biggest from the band since, I dunno... maybe their Green Day collab?

Also, while I'm ignorant as to the number of plays Ordinary Love received, I do remember the song being somewhat popular, i.e. it captured a "moment," where the tune seemed to hit whatever minor chord with the public (the Oscar and Golden Globe nominations, as well as closing Fallon's Tonight Show premiere, certainly helped). I'd say that song is by the biggest from the band since, I dunno... maybe their Green Day collab?

I believe it only charted on the Triple A format here in the US and only around #10 at that.

The song came out in August and after February’s Golden Globe performance, it charted at 86 and the I think it either fell to 93 or off the chart the next week.

It is their biggest Hot 100 single since Magnificent, which charted at 72 I believe but their biggest radio hit in the past decade, like it or not, is Best Thing.

The Spectrum on Sirius/XM plays it all the time. I'd say i hear it at least every other day and I only tune that station in a couple hours a day at most in my car and at home on my Amazon Echo.

Week of 18 August

Week of 18 August:
Adult Top 40 #19 (down from#18)
Adult Contemporary #22 (down from #18)
Dance Club #16 (down from #12)

I guess the upside is U2 at least got played on some contemporary'ish radio stations.

It will be interesting to see if "Summer Of Love" can do any good in Europe now.

Last edited:
Week of 1 September

Week of 1 September:
Adult Top 40 #29 (down from#26)
Adult Contemporary #24 (up 1 from #25)

A gain on Adult Contemporary so that was a surprise!

Back
Top Bottom