L&poe & Cobl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
According to Sony Connect, L&POE is the top download from the Katrina relief concert, and the #5 download overall. I'm not sure if that's just through Sony's service or includes more download data.

I-tunes sucks for not promoting this...not sure what's up with them. As for L&POE, the performance was great and I think that under different circumstances, it would have been a genuine hit in N.A.

It's almost like you can't really hope for the song to make the charts or turn itself into a radio hit, as that was not the intention for any of the artists who participated. The songs are only supposed to be availabe for 30 days (maybe 60) and then pulled. I do think U2 picked a great song to play that night versus the the mostly slow/sad songs...they simply rocked the entire audience out of the blue.

Oh well, it's a great rocker that is being used for a good cause, which is much more important than the charts. Speaking of charts, COBL is making a slow but deliberate rise on several radio formats. I'm starting to think that U2 are done releasing singles from HTDAAB based on Edge's comments about "moving on...time to get working on the next record".

I know the tour keeps U2 in the news, but without any major single besides Vertigo, I think U2's chances at the grammy's are going to be hurt since HTDAAB will be all but forgotten. I hope I'm wrong and that COBL or some other song breaks through this fall during the all-important awards nominations and holiday sales period. I guess Larry was spot on when he said "live is where we live", as they seem to be enjoying the tour immensely and as a result have really just let the push for HTDAAB go...at least it seems like that here in the U.S.

Europe is a totally different story, with soon to be 4 smash hit singles and riding an incredible wave of popularity. They are still a major musical presence here in the U.S., but there just hasn't been much of an effort to "get our songs played on the radio to reach a larger audience...", which is too bad when HTDAAB has so many great songs to offer for a new audience.

Enough rambling. I'll track COBL and post again if it looks like it really is going to make some noise on the charts. My guess is that there will be regional increases in airplay as the tour moves through major markets, which may be enough to keep the song just outside of the big charts but with minor gains in radio play.

I think the reason iTunes isn't promoting LAPOE is because they cannot offer that song/version as a download. It seems as if the organisers of that concert struck a deal with Sony Music regarding providing downloadable songs from that concert.

Back
Top Bottom