Just a bit of random info, and a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Hey folks,

I was checking out the Australian music charts today, and I happened to stumble across one very cool fact: the Slane DVD is currently sitting right in the NUMBER ONE spot! Don't know if anyone's posted that here yet, so I thought I would tell you all.

Now, I'm curious about something to do with Popmart. I know it's the fourth highest grossing tour of all time, but I got into a discussion recently about how, even with that, it still didn't make a profit. I'm sure this isn't true, but I still thought I'd ask: was Popmart profitable? I really don't see how it could have lost money, considering some of the huge shows they played, like in Italy and South America.

Also, from ZooTV and Popmart, is there information on how many shows failed to sell out?

- Andr?

POPMART made over 171 million dollars. The Cost of the tour was around 70 million dollars. Cost per day was 214,000 dollars, with or without a show going on. For U2, POPMART brought in 100 million dollars for the band, which was actually guaranteed in their contract with Michael Cohl who promoted the tour. If there had been losses, and U2 got anything short of 100 million in revenue, Cohl would have paid them the difference to get to 100 million. Bottom line, if the tour was to have any losses, Cohl would take them. Thats how Cohl beat out two other major companies in getting the rights to promote POPMART back in 1996. He was willing to take all the risk and guarantee the band a large profit.

As it was, U2 easily made their 100 million from the tour revenues from ticket sales and Cohl made money for himself too.

If you go to the U2: Chart/sales statistic thread, the statistics on which POPMART shows sold out and which did not are there. I could look up the ZOO TV shows if you need me to.

"U2 LIVE: A Concert Documentary" has statistics on nearly every U2 show in history. I suggest you pick this book up as it is a wonderful source of information on every U2 show, from what happened at each show, the setlist, and how many people were there.

Great, thank you for the information, Sting2. I knew Popmart did well; glad to have the confirmation! Seems like there's a lot of misconceptions and fallacies out there relating to the success of Popmart ...

Alright, I'll go check out that other thread. Don't worry about the ZooTV shows - I was just asking out of curiousity, not for any important reason. I'd love to get the Concert Documentary book ... guess I'll have to order it in someday soon.

bono_man2002,

What precisely are you looking for in regards to ZOO TV? There are 157 concerts.

The ZOO TV tour sold around 5.4 million tickets and grossed about 160 million dollars worldwide from 157 Stadium and Arena shows.

Sting2, is it true that ZooTV holds the record for the longest tour?

ZOO TV is U2's longest tour, but it does not hold the record for the longest tour ever.

ZOO TV started on February 29, 1992 in Lakeland Florida and finished on December 10, 1993 in Tokyo. Over that period, U2 played 157 concerts and wrote and recorded and put out a new album.

Hey guys, some more questions. I know these have been answered before on this forum, but I'm feeling very unwell and headache-y right now. Sorry.

What are the sales figures for Pop? People often say it did poorly, but did it really?

Is it true JT went platinum in the UK in 28 hours? What are sales figures for JT (preferably including first week/month/year if possible)?

U2:3 went number one in Ireland, true?

What is U2's fastest selling album?

Any other notable album achievements or disappointments?

Thanks very much!

Axver said:
Hey guys, some more questions. I know these have been answered before on this forum, but I'm feeling very unwell and headache-y right now. Sorry.

What are the sales figures for Pop? People often say it did poorly, but did it really?

Is it true JT went platinum in the UK in 28 hours? What are sales figures for JT (preferably including first week/month/year if possible)?

U2:3 went number one in Ireland, true?

What is U2's fastest selling album?

Any other notable album achievements or disappointments?

Thanks very much!

Pop sold about 5.5 Million copies worldwide initially(first year). Its probably over 6 million in sales today.

The Joshua Tree went Platinum in the UK in 48 hours. I do not have first week or first month sales figures for Joshua Tree worldwide, but it did sell over 14 million copies in its first year alone. Total sales today are at least over 20 million and most likely 25 to 30 million. The Joshua Tree has sold over 10 million copies in the United States alone. It has sold over 2 million copies in the United Kingdom and nearly 2 million copies in Canada as well.

I'm not sure if U2:3 went to #1 or not but it completely sold all of its copies of its 1 time printing which was around 7,000 I believe.

U2's fastest selling album is either the Joshua Tree or Rattle And Hum. Exact global sales figures to determine this are not known. Some people base "fastest sales" on shipment figures which is inaccurate.

In Europe, Joshua Tree is probably U2's fastest seller say 1 week or 1 month out. In the USA, it is probably Rattle And Hum.

Thanks very much! Very impressive statistics for JT. Does U2 happen to hold any statistical records that you know of, such as longest time at #1? I just checked U2Wanderer.org and they say U2:3 went to #1 in Ireland. That's pretty cool seeing Larry wasn't even eighteen.

Back
Top Bottom