Joshua Tree 2017 Tour Gross

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CosmoKramer

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Make your predictions now.....actually coming soon

31 shows

I'm guessing:

Total attendance: 1,700,000
Average Attendance: 55,0000
Average Ticket price: $122.5
Total Gross: $208,000,000

Pretty incredible for 31 shows if it happens.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

31 shows

I'm guessing:

I'm not sure the average ticket price will be that high. The Average for 360 was $101.27. There has been a $5 dollar increase in the cheapest price, General admission, and I think the most expensive tickets. Plus there are those mid-price tickets at $100 and $155 when on 360 the only mid-priced ticket was I believe $95.
So I'm thinking and average price more like $110. 55,000 is probably right for average attendance. That would mean total gross with 31 shows of $187,550,000

I'm hoping they find some way to add 12 shows to the current 31 for a total of 43. That would take the total gross up to $260 million, enough to rank in the top 20 grossing tours of all time. Not bad for a 10 week vacation from the recording studio in the summer of 2017!

I'm not sure the average ticket price will be that high. The Average for 360 was $101.27. There has been a $5 dollar increase in the cheapest price, General admission, and I think the most expensive tickets. Plus there are those mid-price tickets at $100 and $155 when on 360 the only mid-priced ticket was I believe $95.

So I'm thinking and average price more like $110. 55,000 is probably right for average attendance. That would mean total gross with 31 shows of $187,550,000

I'm hoping they find some way to add 12 shows to the current 31 for a total of 43. That would take the total gross up to $260 million, enough to rank in the top 20 grossing tours of all time. Not bad for a 10 week vacation from the recording studio in the summer of 2017!

So I just guessed somewhat but the average attendance and ticket might actually be very close to what I had.....NA the average ticket is up 30% over 360 and if that holds elsewhere, then this tour might have an average ticket price if $130 a ticket (360 was $101).

They might as well expand Europe, Go to Australia, Japan and Asia and make a run at the 2nd highest grossing tour ever!

So I just guessed somewhat but the average attendance and ticket might actually be very close to what I had.....NA the average ticket is up 30% over 360 and if that holds elsewhere, then this tour might have an average ticket price if $130 a ticket (360 was $101).

They might as well expand Europe, Go to Australia, Japan and Asia and make a run at the 2nd highest grossing tour ever!

Great, but that's not as impressive as 360 or some past other tours that were based on promoting new albums. This is a pure nostalgia tour. The only surprise has been how they have failed to fill seats that they were able to fill on 360.

Plus, if this tour extends we get another massive long delay for Songs Of Experience album and the tour for that. I was cool when this was just a brief 10 week summer excursion for fun, but expanding into a full worldwide tour is kind of a disappointment when thinking about the next album and tour.

Great, but that's not as impressive as 360 or some past other tours that were based on promoting new albums. This is a pure nostalgia tour. The only surprise has been how they have failed to fill seats that they were able to fill on 360.

Plus, if this tour extends we get another massive long delay for Songs Of Experience album and the tour for that. I was cool when this was just a brief 10 week summer excursion for fun, but expanding into a full worldwide tour is kind of a disappointment when thinking about the next album and tour.

I agree with you about the dissapointment of the tour extension. I have been one that was not so excited about this tour, but really wanting new material.

As for not selling as many tickets as 360. Well, every tour and every slice in time is so different. They are outselling the original JT tour when they were the biggest thing around, on the cover of Time magazine. They are far outselling the insanely, never to be topped (IMO) ZooTV tour when they were the undisputed biggest band in the world, with multiple chart hits and a multi-multi-platinum album behind them. They are over doubling their attendance figures at a lot of stops compared to PopMart.

Add to that, that i have never seen a concert season as competitive as this one. Especially filled with artists that have a big crossover with U2 fans. And they are outselling all of them (except possibly Coldplay, that remains to be seen).

I agree with you about the dissapointment of the tour extension. I have been one that was not so excited about this tour, but really wanting new material.

As for not selling as many tickets as 360. Well, every tour and every slice in time is so different. They are outselling the original JT tour when they were the biggest thing around, on the cover of Time magazine. They are far outselling the insanely, never to be topped (IMO) ZooTV tour when they were the undisputed biggest band in the world, with multiple chart hits and a multi-multi-platinum album behind them. They are over doubling their attendance figures at a lot of stops compared to PopMart.

Add to that, that i have never seen a concert season as competitive as this one. Especially filled with artists that have a big crossover with U2 fans. And they are outselling all of them (except possibly Coldplay, that remains to be seen).

Outselling ZOO TV? I don't think so. That tour had an attendance of over 5.2 million people. It is one of the ten highest attended tours in history. The gross is not comparable because it was a very different time when it came to ticket prices.

Adjusting for inflation gross comparisons are really only accurate back to the year 2000. Before that, especially once you get back to the early 90s and 80s, its only accurate to compare attendance.

Outselling ZOO TV? I don't think so. That tour had an attendance of over 5.2 million people. It is one of the ten highest attended tours in history. The gross is not comparable because it was a very different time when it came to ticket prices.

Adjusting for inflation gross comparisons are really only accurate back to the year 2000. Before that, especially once you get back to the early 90s and 80s, its only accurate to compare attendance.

I'm not referring to the overall ticket sales of the entirety of both tours. I'm saying that they are selling more tickets at many of the stadiums for this tour than on the JT tour.
Like Kansas City, Dallas, Houston, Tampa, Miami, Detroit, and Pittsburgh.
I agree, my statement of them outselling ZooTV is not correct, but just doing better in some of the softer markets.
AND in 1992, they had several huge singles, a blockbuster album, huge MTV rotation and radio play backing up that tour. Nothing of the sort this time around.
So I think they are doing really well considering.

And seeing rock bands like Arcade Fire and Kings of Leon literally selling tiny amounts of tickets at many venues, and U2 competing with SO many artists on tour right now, Arcade Fire, KOL, Greenday, Metallica, McCartney, Roger Waters, Bon Jovi, Ed Sheeran, Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars, Rod Stewart, The Weeknd, Katy Perry, RHCP's, Billy Joel, Tom Petty, Depeche Mode, Muse, etc...
They are pretty much killin it.

Of course Zoo TV is in the top ten highest attended tours, they played 157 shows! This tour is currently only 47 shows but is likely ahead of the attendance pace set by Zoo TV.

31 shows

I'm guessing:

I'd say this is pretty spot on. As some of the shows coming up soon, and SanDiego will have higher avg ticket prices, but some of the softer markets will have lower ones. So i think 122 is a good guess, and 55k also seems like a pretty solid number as well.

Although not sure about Bonnaroo being on the list. Not sure how they would report attendance or ticket price on a festival stop. So maybe will be figured as 30 stops in NA.

Then we look to Europe

Right now - 12 shows in Europe

My guess is 60,000 avg with a 130 dollar avg = $93,600,000

Bringing the whole tour to about 302 million (295 million if not counting Bonnaroo)

Last years top tour was Bruce with 268 million.
I think Coldplay will beat out U2 this year and have the top tour since they are making around 52 stops.
And depressingly, since they did 240 million in 2016, that would put Coldplay in the number 2 spot for highest grossing tours of all time.

Last edited:
Of course Zoo TV is in the top ten highest attended tours, they played 157 shows! This tour is currently only 47 shows but is likely ahead of the attendance pace set by Zoo TV.

ZOO TV promoting Achtung Baby was a harder sell at the time. It was an album of new material that was different from a lot of U2's previous material. Its always harder to get people to buy tickets promoting a new album of material than it is to get them to buy tickets for a nostalgia tour, usually.

And depressingly, since they did 240 million in 2016, that would put Coldplay in the number 2 spot for highest grossing tours of all time.

I don't find that depressing since Coldplay is one of my 10 favorite artist of all time. I've seen every tour they have done since the first one in 2001. This tour was fantastic as well.

ZOO TV promoting Achtung Baby was a harder sell at the time. It was an album of new material that was different from a lot of U2's previous material. Its always harder to get people to buy tickets promoting a new album of material than it is to get them to buy tickets for a nostalgia tour, usually.

I can understand why you'd think that, but it wasn't as if Achtung Baby was unpopular. In 3 months, 7 million copies of the album sold worldwide.

I'd say this is pretty spot on. As some of the shows coming up soon, and SanDiego will have higher avg ticket prices, but some of the softer markets will have lower ones. So i think 122 is a good guess, and 55k also seems like a pretty solid number as well.

Although not sure about Bonnaroo being on the list. Not sure how they would report attendance or ticket price on a festival stop. So maybe will be figured as 30 stops in NA.

Then we look to Europe

Right now - 12 shows in Europe

My guess is 60,000 avg with a 130 dollar avg = $93,600,000

Bringing the whole tour to about 302 million (295 million if not counting Bonnaroo)

Last years top tour was Bruce with 268 million.
I think Coldplay will beat out U2 this year and have the top tour since they are making around 52 stops.

I would NOT count Bonnaroo in the Gross or attendance. I must have inadvertently counted that as a show in the list.

Thanks for pointing out that Coldplay are on a massive tour and will Gross both of $500 million! I didn't realize they were doing that well.

I think U2 will add shows in South America and maybe even in North America as I haven't heard the "final shows" tag line yet but it will be close with Coldplay

I don't find that depressing since Coldplay is one of my 10 favorite artist of all time. I've seen every tour they have done since the first one in 2001. This tour was fantastic as well.

I like Coldplay and always root for them. They are a "rock" band and I enjoy the genre in general, so I want them to be successful. Yeah also have a lot of respect for U2(and U2 for them), which I think is cool.

I don't want them to break U2s records but have no problem with them kicking butt on their tour!

I can't even want to see the name " COLDPLAY " in a U2-related site. Coldplay is simply a rotten and degraded version of U2 of this era of rotten music taste. In every way, Coldplay is a cheap and greedy imitator of U2.

I don't hate Coldplay. I actually used to be a big fan and think that Rush of Blood and Parachutes are incredible. But once Viva La whatever hit. I just lost interest. I did like a few off of Ghost Stories. But this latest stuff with the Chainsmokers is so bad.
I don't wish them ill, i just don't like to see them do better than our guys. :)

I can't even want to see the name " COLDPLAY " in a U2-related site. Coldplay is simply a rotten and degraded version of U2 of this era of rotten music taste. In every way, Coldplay is a cheap and greedy imitator of U2.

:up:

49 scheduled shows at the moment(not including Bonnaroo)

My prediction:

Attendance: ~2.65 million
Gross: ~$316 million
Avg ticket price: ~$120

Remainder of NA on this leg will sell strong. European leg will be stronger, 2nd NA leg will be weaker and SA leg will be very strong

49 scheduled shows at the moment(not including Bonnaroo)

My prediction:

Attendance: ~2.65 million
Gross: ~$316 million
Avg ticket price: ~$120

Remainder of NA on this leg will sell strong. European leg will be stronger, 2nd NA leg will be weaker and SA leg will be very strong

Ok, I'll play.
Yours seems pretty legit.

For fun I'll say:

My prediction:

Attendance: ~2.7 million
Gross: ~$332 million
Avg ticket price: ~$123

Back
Top Bottom