Invisible with STRONG U.S. Airplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very happy to see Invisible reach #1 on the Triple-A chart. Hopefully it will get it noticed by more Hot AC stations.

There definitely seems to be an age or some other kind of bias against U2 in the "Hot AC" category. For instance, Invisible is now number one on the Triple A chart ahead of Cage the Elephant's "Come a Little Closer," but on the Hot AC chart, Invisible doesn't even rank in the Top 50... meanwhile "Come a Little Closer" is 26!

It also appears that Ordinary Love has fallen out of the Billboard Hot 100. I don't understand how that's possible given the tremendous amount of downloads it received last week.

Very happy to see Invisible reach #1 on the Triple-A chart. Hopefully it will get it noticed by more Hot AC stations.

There definitely seems to be an age or some other kind of bias against U2 in the "Hot AC" category. For instance, Invisible is now number one on the Triple A chart ahead of Cage the Elephant's "Come a Little Closer," but on the Hot AC chart, Invisible doesn't even rank in the Top 50... meanwhile "Come a Little Closer" is 26!

It also appears that Ordinary Love has fallen out of the Billboard Hot 100. I don't understand how that's possible given the tremendous amount of downloads it received last week.

I am very confused about the Triple A and Hot AC stations. They seem less logical.

However, I can address the Ordinary Love (OL) facet - or so I hope.

All of those downloads count for the chart that comes out this week (Thursday). I don't think OL will suddenly fly into the Top 40. But I do think those downloads could be enough to get OL into the Lower 60 (anyway from 50 to 90 is my prediction).

I am very confused about the Triple A and Hot AC stations. They seem less logical.

However, I can address the Ordinary Love (OL) facet - or so I hope.

All of those downloads count for the chart that comes out this week (Thursday). I don't think OL will suddenly fly into the Top 40. But I do think those downloads could be enough to get OL into the Lower 60 (anyway from 50 to 90 is my prediction).

Gotcha. Well it will certainly be interesting to see where it ranks come Thursday.

Invisible moving back up

Radio and Records shows Invisible moving back up the Rock charts in Canada (15 from 18) and the US (21 from 23). All it has to do in the US is cross over to AC and/or Hot AC. OL made a go of it, but it has fallen off a lot in airplay. Still, all those downloads should put OL in this week's BB Hot 100 as others have mentioned. I'll guess 70, since the airplay part of the equation won't be good. It might reach #1 on "Hot Rock Downloads" chart, however. It was within 10 spins of reaching #1 on Adult Rock...I thought it actually did hit #1 on the daily chart...but not the weekly one.

Regardless, it's pretty amazing that U2 can still reach #1 on any US airplay chart. Adult Rock/AAA is featured more and more at R&R, mostly because of the importance of advertising to that genre and their assumed spending potential (Age range listed 28-49). That covers fans from their 80's material all the way up to everything since 2000. And while Coldplay might tie U2's record, hopefully U2's own new album will result in several more #1 hits on Adult Rock Radio, along with extending their record on # of songs charting on Alternative Top 40 (I think it's at 39 now, IIRC).

As much as I've criticized U2's singles marketing in the U.S. over the years, they got these two songs right. And the real goal for Invisible (charity) was a huge success. I think they can stop worrying about relevancy and get moving on releasing the new album(s). Might be time to drop a Redanka mix of Invisible to keep momentum going. Worked for OL (not Redanka), anyway. I liked that remix, though it was rather tame, as the subtle changes improved the song imho.

Format started in 1995...

This classification or genre started in 1995, at least for Billboard, now in it's 20th year. It's called Triple A, Adult Alternative, Adult Rock, and Sirius now calls it "Album Rock Cuts". Can you imagine just how far ahead U2 would be if it had been around for 30+ years?

So they have 11 #1 songs since '95...would guess that these songs might have had a good chance of adding to that record:

Stay
Numb (maybe)
Mysterious Ways
The Fly (maybe)
One (for sure)
End of World (ultimate "album cut")
Even better than...
Desire (Was this U2's last #1 song on BB Hot 100?)
All I want is you
Streets
WOWY
Still haven't found
Pride
UF
NYD
SBS (maybe)
I will follow

and probably more. On the flip side, luckily for U2, the genre did get created in N.A. around the time when their new albums stopped delivering "mega-hits" on the BB Hot 100, and they no longer ruled the Alternative Charts, either. It ended up allowing U2 to still reach #1 with individual songs on a new chart, one that's nearly perfect for their music w/respect to "singles".

They have never been a "singles" band, really, as I think WOWY, ISHFWILF, and Desire are their only #1 hits on the BB Hot 100. BD and Vertigo were certainly hits, but not like those songs from the '80's. Anyone know of a history re U2's performance for all their songs that charted on Adult Rock?

$$$$hit! Obviously I have not been paying attention to the album news. Oh well, another year. Hope it's worth the wait.

No U2 Album, Tour Until 2015 (Exclusive) | Billboard

No U2 Album, Tour Until 2015 (Exclusive)

Fresh off the Oscars, the band quietly delays its fall tour and album, while inviting Ryan Tedder and Paul Epworth into the studio

The media blitz U2 has enjoyed during the first two months of 2014 has been virtually unrivaled - unless you're maybe Pharrell Williams and his Vivienne Westwood hat. Since mid-January, the band has won a Golden Globe; performed at the premiere of "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" and the March 2 Academy Awards; appeared on the cover of The Hollywood Reporter; and starred in a Super Bowl commercial funded by Bank of America and (RED) that debuted the track "Invisible."

THIS STORY FIRST APPEARED IN THE MARCH 15 ISSUE OF BILLBOARD /// BUY A COPY

• Subscribe • Buy a Copy • Billboard on iPad

Such momentum certainly signaled a proper return to music and touring was in the cards for U2 in 2014. The group had been diligently working with producer Danger Mouse (aka Brian Burton) on an album still described as "unfinished" in mid-February to The Hollywood Reporter. Billboard has confirmed with multiple sources, however, that the album has now been pushed back until 2015, with the band recently scheduling additional sessions with producers Ryan Tedder and Paul Epworth. (Danger Mouse remains onboard as the project's central producer.) "It seems to be taking longer for them to finish an album as they get older, but the great thing about U2 is that the whole of a record is always better than the sum of its parts," says a source close to the project. "That magic that the band always seems to capture ... they have yet to capture it."

While an Interscope representative maintains that with a release date never announced the album shouldn't be considered delayed, Billboard has learned that a tour initially on track for a mid-March announcement and September start date, booked by Live Nation's Global Touring division, will now begin in summer 2015. Delays are nothing new in the world of U2 - the band's 360° Tour, itself set back with postponements related to the making of 2009's No Line on the Horizon, went on to become the highest-grossing tour of all time, with more than $737 million in receipts from three legs in 2010 and 2011, according to Billboard Boxscore. Live Nation, which declined to comment for this story, would of course always love to have U2 dates on the books for any given year. But at best, the band would only have been on the road in the fourth quarter, and any dates that would have happened in 2014 will be made up next year. (Live Nation Entertainment had a record year in 2013, even without top-grossers U2 or Madonna on the road, reporting a whopping 19 percent increase in concert attendance and total revenue up 11 percent to $6.4 billion.)

No one has struggled more with U2's living legacy than Bono himself, who's spoken about the next album (U2's 13th) and its many challenges in recent years. At a September 2011 press conference at the Toronto Film Festival, Bono, 53, feared the band was "really close to the edge of relevance," noting "there's a giant chasm between the very good and the great, and U2 right now has a danger of surrendering to the very good." He reiterated those sentiments to The Hollywood Reporter in February when he noted that "to be relevant is a lot harder than to be successful." Such remarks were no doubt prompted in part by 2009 album No Line on the Horizon's disappointing sales figures, which at 1.1 million units in the United States were a third of 2004's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (3.3 million) and a fourth of 2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind (4.4 million), according to Nielsen SoundScan.

And U2's first two new tracks since No Line on the Horizon, though never officially touted as singles, have both gotten off to relatively quiet starts. "Ordinary Love," the Oscar-nominated song composed for Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, has sold 115,000 copies, peaking at No. 99 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No. 45 on the Digital Songs chart for the week ending March 2. "Invisible," initially launched through the Super Bowl, was downloaded for free 3 million times globally as part of a 24-hour campaign with iTunes, (RED) and Bank of America, thus making those downloads ineligible for Billboard's charts. The song has since started picking up steam at radio, peaking at No. 28 on the Alternative airplay chart and No. 15 on Rock Songs, with sales of 64,000 copies to date.

Teaming with current hitmakers like Tedder and Epworth, both key players in Adele's best-selling 21, would appear to be U2's play to take a step back from the "edge of relevance," as Bono said. As does tapping Guy Oseary to take the day-to-day reins of management while longtime manager Paul McGuinness goes into semi-retirement. (Live Nation acquired Oseary's Maverick Entertainment and McGuinness' Principle Management in November for a reported $30 million.)

Tedder, a previous U2 tourmate with his band OneRepublic, told Billboard in October that the current success of his group's spiritually minded "Counting Stars" was in line with the thoughts Bono shared with him about U2's approach to songwriting. "He said, 'I feel a responsibility to actually write and sing about things that have a level of human gravity to them,'" Tedder recalled, adding, "I have a feeling I'll be around [Bono] a lot more in the coming years."

Additional reporting by Ray Waddell

A band spokesperson contradicted this a day or two later and says we're still on track for this year. So, all hope is not lost, apparently? :shrug:

BeLIEve:

As Jeevey stated, U2 spokespeople said the Billboard report (which was picked up later by other sites, like Rolling Stone) is incorrect.

It was my prediction, after U2 missed the holiday season for 2013, that we would get a fall 2014 release. It is very possible that U2 release the album in late November, like HTDAAB, with a single in October. The late year album release is still close to 2015. The tour would then start in 2015. This pattern is very similar to what was done for AB, ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Given how successful those albums and tours would be, this seems the best path forward. Albums still sell during the holidays and U2 could have a 2X Platinum album based on the holiday sales alone. So Billboard isn't "wrong" just a tad off, if U2 do indeed follow this pattern.

If U2 miss the holidays of 2014, then I have no idea what they are doing.

Lastly, "Desire" only reached #3 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart. It is, however, their first Gold Single (per the RIAA).

Billboard charts:issue date :March 22,2014

Ordinary Love:

HOT 100: #84
ROCK DIGITAL SONGS: #9

Billboard charts:issue date :March 22,2014

Ordinary Love:

HOT 100: #84
ROCK DIGITAL SONGS: #9

Great news! Although, it's re-appearance on the Billboard Hot 100 will likely be short lived.

Can anyone see the "bubbling under" chart to see where Invisible ranks?

Good news

BeLIEve:

As Jeevey stated, U2 spokespeople said the Billboard report (which was picked up later by other sites, like Rolling Stone) is incorrect.

Great news. On the daily snapshot for AAA Rock, Cage the Elephant has plummeted in spins while Invisible went from steady to a nearly 10% bump in spins. So maybe it will stay at #1 next week on BB and hopefully, cross over to other formats. Invisible was on BB's Rock charts again this week, about the same as last week, except on Adult Alternative where it jumped to the top. As of this evening:

FORMAT: TRIPLE A LAST UPDATE: 3/13/2014 5:24:00 PM
RANK MEDIABASE SORTABLE STATS™ SPINS
lw TW Artist Title Label TW lw Move
4 1 U2 Invisible Interscope 520 483 37
2 2 BROKEN BELLS Holding On For Life Columbia 519 519 0
8 3 FOSTER THE PEOPLE Coming Of Age Columbia 467 438 29
1 4 CAGE THE ELEPHANT Come A Little Closer RCA 467 560 -93

Also on BB, OL is on the Canadian Hot 100 this week at #27. I wonder if all those downloads last week included customers from Canada on i-tunes and Amazon.

How interesting that it's climbing again! I hope they guys are happy about the appearance on the Hot 100.

Euro 200

U2 seems to have staying power, or perhaps the Oscars effect is global. Either way, on the Euro Top 200 singles, OL rises from 29 to 24; Invisible rises from 136 to 111. This would be data from last week. Chart is comprehensive.

Specific countries (out of 30) only show the Top 20 or 40 songs for most regions

Slovenia: OL moves from 24 to 8
Romania: OL slips in at 28
Portugal: OL moves from 24 to 5
Poland: OL to 4
Netherlands: OL to 20
Luxembourg: OL back at 17
Latvia: OL at 4
Italy: OL at 24; Invisible at 40
Hungary: OL re-enters Top 20 at 16
Croatia: Invisible, out of Top 100, re-enters at #3

and the big one:

UK: Invisible re-enter their "Hot 100", rising from 111 to 48

To date, OL has reached #1 in 9 countries; Invisible hit the top spot in 7. No Invisible downloads counted in a chart that measures airplay and downloads.

Well U2 is getting some traction FINALLY on the Hot AC chart in the U.S. Ordinary Love is now in the top 50, sitting at number 48 and it's trending up. Great to see.

Just showed up on Radio & Records this week

Well U2 is getting some traction FINALLY on the Hot AC chart in the U.S. Ordinary Love is now in the top 50, sitting at number 48 and it's trending up. Great to see.

It has tried to "cross over" a few different times, and now if Invisible could just do the same. This week's R&R charts (Tuesday is weekly edition) with U2:

Canada Alternative Rock
Invisible down from 28 to 32

Canada Adult Contemporary
OL re-enters Top 50 at 44

Canada Active Rock
Invisible at 18

U.S. Adult Rock
Invisible at 1

U.S. Mainstream Rock
Invisible at 23

U.S Hot AC Top 50
OL enters chart at 49

MTV2
Invisible in Top 20

VH1
Invisible in Top 30

International Charts:

Australia Hot 100 Singles Sales
OL debuts at 88

France Hot 100 Singles Sales
OL down to 44

Germany Hot 100 Singles Sales
OL down to 80

That's all I could find that was not directly from BB. I think BB updates all their charts for next week tomorrow.

I guess BB has updated already;

Invisible is #1 on Adult Alternative for 2nd straight week
Invisible is #32 on Rock Airplay Chart
OL is #32 on Hot Rock Songs Chart
OL is #31 on Rock Digital Songs Chart
OL is #58 on Canada Hot 100 Chart

I guess BB has updated already;

Invisible is #1 on Adult Alternative for 2nd straight week

Invisible is #32 on Rock Airplay Chart

OL is #32 on Hot Rock Songs Chart

OL is #31 on Rock Digital Songs Chart

OL is #58 on Canada Hot 100 Chart

Enjoy the updates! Thanks!

Ordinary Love is still ticking up on the U.S. Hot AC chart. Hovering around 44 or 45 over the past couple of days.

Ordinary Love now up to No 41 on the US Hot Adult Contemporary chart. Big jump in spins required though to get up into the low 30's.

Ordinary Love now up to No 39 on the US Hot AC chart, now with 288 spins. Seems to be adding about 12-14 spins a day for the last few days, so not too bad. 'beLIEve', you often talk about songs crossing over onto the Hot AC chart, which would help them get maybe noted on the main chart. How high do you think OL needs to rise in terms of spins on the Hot AC chart for this to have any real benefit, and how do you think it has been doing lately?

Cheers.

Slow moving chart but HUGE format

Ordinary Love now up to No 39 on the US Hot AC chart, now with 288 spins. Seems to be adding about 12-14 spins a day for the last few days, so not too bad. 'beLIEve', you often talk about songs crossing over onto the Hot AC chart, which would help them get maybe noted on the main chart. How high do you think OL needs to rise in terms of spins on the Hot AC chart for this to have any real benefit, and how do you think it has been doing lately?

Cheers.

HOT AC can lag niche rock formats by as much as a year. OL has been on AC and HOT AC charts, sort of "bubbling under", for about 4-5 weeks. Now OL has cracked the Top 40. If it reaches the Top 25, it will be playing to an audience that's twice as big as #1 on Adult Alternative, U2's staple format.

Songs move slowly on both charts, but OL has jumped over 10 spots in about 10 days. Getting to over 1000 spins/week on monitored stations that make up the charts might put it back in the Hot 100. With awards over and the song long past it's peak on Alternative/Adult Rock, I'd be surprised if it really pushed up the chart into the Top 20.

But, to my surprise, my own 15 year old child just bought the song off of i-tunes and said her and her friends like it. That demographic could really move the song, but I have no way of knowing if that's just a random coincidence or not.

Regardless, it's great to see U2 have another Top 40 hit, on a format that does not always embrace their music. Time will tell.

Ordinary Love still around the same position on the Hot AC Chart, but now with 372 spins. So still picking up spins at a reasonable rate.

OL on the slow rise

Ordinary Love now up to number 38 on the Hot AC chart with 384 spins.

And a day later it now is up to 399 spins. It's position will be slow to change, but it has now gone up, daily, for over a month.

Invisible is back up to 7 on Adult Rock and has re-entered the "Rock" chart around 25. It's up a spot at 21 on Canada's Active Rock chart. It's bouncing around the Euro charts but is out of the Top 100, going from 102 to 133 this week after jumping UP some 35 places last week. For a song that never got credit for so many downloads it did well to peak at 22 and is now in it's 4th month charting.

Now OL reached #7 on the Euro Top 200 and did well for quite some time. It finally fell out of the Top 100 this week, dropping from 99 to 115 and is into it's 6th month on the chart. Still in the Top 200 but for a movie soundtrack, it did well and even won several awards. Should have won the Oscar but US music/movie tastes obviously favor "Happy" and animated Pixar films.

Still, OL is just now catching on some 6 months after first being released on Hot AC, one of the biggest formats in the U.S. and a very slow-moving (but big audience) chart. For example, the #1 song on this format is "Happy" with 6,185 spins over the past 7 days! It's grip is finally breaking, as it's lost 132 spins in that same time frame.

Who knows if OL can continue it's rise...but it's genuinely crossed over in the U.S. and as mentioned earlier, it gives U2 yet another Top 40 hit on a large format here in the U.S. And Coldplay's Magic has already lost it's #1 position on Adult Alternative. They tied U2 for the most #1 hits on this format just barely, and it was sort of lucky timing. OL never hit #1 on AAA, peaking at #2 and just missing out on giving U2 the record for #1 hits by +1. For now, they have been tied by Coldplay.

All in all, both songs did better than I expected, especially Invisible. U2 have had successful movie soundtrack hits before (Hold me, Thrill me) and OL may not be "finished" on the charts...if it truly catches fire on Hot AC, it might just be getting started.

Invisible would have been very interesting on the charts had the downloads counted. But we'll never know, and it was a definite success based on it's mission. It may be the most downloaded song in 2014, but IDNK how that information is tracked. Hope the new album comes this year and does not use either one of these songs for it. Will have to check out the other forums for that story, but hopefully U2 see they are very relevant, still, and they can release more albums w/o being self conscious about sales numbers or chart positions.

FYI, Fuse just did it's "Top 50 International Artists" in a 5-part special called "Global Invasion: Top Stars". I recorded "Part 5", which aired Saturday, April 19, assuming U2 might make the Top 10. After reading about the artists/bands that were in positions 50-11, though, I had my doubts. Artists like Lorde were 20; Muse 14; One Direction 13; Rolling Stones 9; Beiber at 6; Coldplay at 5; Drake at 4; and Adele at 2, I had no idea what to expect. All over the map, this countdown.

Sure enough, when the show finally reached it's end, Jack Osbourne gave it away when he started with "Any band that remains together for nearly 4 decades is probably worthy of #1 for that reason alone. But to stay at the top of their game for over 30 years is what makes them #1."

After running down the list of so many accolades, from 22 grammy's won, #1 albums in so many countries spanning 3 decades, over 150 albums sold, to OL winning the 2014 Golden Globe for "best Original soundrack", ET AL, they did in fact put U2 at #1 on their "All-time" chart, picking Beautiful Day to end the show.

Ordinary Love now past the 400 spins mark with 403 spins on the Hot AC chart. Falls 2 places to number 40 due to 2 big gainers coming from below. May benefit from a jump of 2 places again shortly due to 2 big fallers just above them. As beLIEve says though it will be a while before it moves up a number of spots, but at least it continues to add spins daily. The daily charts can be found here which are useful for those interested:

Daily US Radio Updates

Back
Top Bottom