Interest in U2 in the US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcrt2000

Refugee
Albeit, this is only tied to the amount of people who searched for u2, but it is interesting nonetheless:

http://www.google.com/insights/sear...ay,"the killers"&geo=US&date=today 7-d&cmpt=q

Interest in U2 (at least among people who use google) is comparable to Kelly Clarkson but is far less than Coldplay.

Will be interesting to see how this looks following the Letterman performances.

Worldwide, U2 is much closer to Coldplay:

http://www.google.com/insights/sear...,coldplay,"the killers"&date=today 7-d&cmpt=q

You have to consider that U2 last album was out in 2004.
It's five years without hearing anithing new by this band, wihile coldplay latest effort was out last year! And U2 are still close to them!
Wait for 2009 final results!

I don't google this stuff, but U2 has made most of their money in the United States. We like them and will continue to welcome them, with open arms.

Who cares? I love U2, always have, always will and I can remember when all that mattered was they made good music and performed live. I really don't care whether anyone else likes them(none of my mates do), but it's always good to meet someone who does. If they went back to being a band with a cult following and little internet traffic it wouldn't diminish my appreciation of them in any way. A good example is the Cure, fantastic band doing their own thing consistantly for 30 years who sell inspite of little promotion or hype. Google my arse!

Who cares? I love U2, always have, always will and I can remember when all that mattered was they made good music and performed live. I really don't care whether anyone else likes them(none of my mates do), but it's always good to meet someone who does. If they went back to being a band with a cult following and little internet traffic it wouldn't diminish my appreciation of them in any way. A good example is the Cure, fantastic band doing their own thing consistantly for 30 years who sell inspite of little promotion or hype. Google my arse!

I agree.....I also like the Cure.

The albums released on tuesday in the US, and billboard 200 is released on a thursday? that only means that 2-3 days sales will be in the first week sales?

The albums released on tuesday in the US, and billboard 200 is released on a thursday? that only means that 2-3 days sales will be in the first week sales?

No. Almost all albums are released on Tuesdays in the US and they appear on Billboard thursday, the NEXT week. Although I'm pretty sure the issue of Billboard only includes Tuesday-Tuesday information. Wednesday is probably used to compile all the information around the country for that week and then it's released on Thursday.

No. Almost all albums are released on Tuesdays in the US and they appear on Billboard thursday, the NEXT week. Although I'm pretty sure the issue of Billboard only includes Tuesday-Tuesday information. Wednesday is probably used to compile all the information around the country for that week and then it's released on Thursday.

Actually, I think it's Sunday to Sunday data.

So for new releases, it's Tues. to Sunday.

Sometimes, a new release happens on a Friday. But there is such demand that it can still debut on top despite just 3 days worth of sales.

But usually, the release date is Tues.

I don't google this stuff, but U2 has made most of their money in the United States. We like them and will continue to welcome them, with open arms.

Per capita, they're actually not nearly as popular in the States as in Europe or most of the rest of the world. The US has a lot of people that can afford concert tickets and a sizable population, but the band is pretty much universally loathed here by anybody that doesn't buy their records, due greatly in part to the rock radio formats here catering to loudness.

Per capita, they're actually not nearly as popular in the States as in Europe or most of the rest of the world. The US has a lot of people that can afford concert tickets and a sizable population, but the band is pretty much universally loathed here by anybody that doesn't buy their records, due greatly in part to the rock radio formats here catering to loudness.

But they sold out every arena show in the US during the Elevation & Vertigo tours. And if all these people who attend these shows are U2 fans or simply like them then there's all lot of them I think.

And they still won 22 grammy's. A lot more than all the other superacts.

But they sold out every arena show in the US during the Elevation & Vertigo tours. And if all these people who attend these shows are U2 fans or simply like them then there's all lot of them I think.

Concert attendance is a poor indicator. HTDAAB sold 3.2 million copies in its first year. U2 probably had about half as many of that number as attendees at their US shows on the Vertigo tour. Honestly, you either know people here that completely dislike the band or they're the type that buy their albums. There's hardly any middle ground.

I'd say the loving & hating is equal everywhere. Anyway it's roughly an equal split on album sales : ~60m US + ~60m Europe + anything from 30 up to a possible 60m in rest of world

Am i the only one whos suprised not to see a U2 publicity stunt similar to the brooklyn bridge show, for HTDAAB?

i was expecting something 2day to mark the US release.

Am i the only one whos suprised not to see a U2 publicity stunt similar to the brooklyn bridge show, for HTDAAB?

i was expecting something 2day to mark the US release.

There's a free show this Friday at Fordham University in NYC. Granted, the show is only open to students, but that's pretty similar to the Brooklyn gig. And let's not forget a mini-show in Boston on 3/11.

I'd say the loving & hating is equal everywhere. Anyway it's roughly an equal split on album sales : ~60m US + ~60m Europe + anything from 30 up to a possible 60m in rest of world

Last night, David Letterman said they´ve sold 145 million albums. I reckon it is a bit too low though. Anyhow, they will cross the 150 million mark (if they hadn´t done yet) with NLOTH.

On the BBC show they said 170 million albums which is probably a bit high but I would say 145 is a bit low I would say its 155 by my calculations. None the less its an impressive total and I will keep adding to it.

On the BBC show they said 170 million albums which is probably a bit high but I would say 145 is a bit low I would say its 155 by my calculations. None the less its an impressive total and I will keep adding to it.

Based on MediaTraffic estimates of worldwide sales, it's 160M. So I do think Letterman was low too, but BBC might have been a bit high.

Would be nice if the label just told us once and for all. Why so secretive?

Thanks, I didn't know that. I thought they were very popular in the States because, they sell out every show. :wave:

Concert attendance is a poor indicator. HTDAAB sold 3.2 million copies in its first year. U2 probably had about half as many of that number as attendees at their US shows on the Vertigo tour. Honestly, you either know people here that completely dislike the band or they're the type that buy their albums. There's hardly any middle ground.

Actually, as an American, I would say that most people I have met are middle grounders when it comes to U2 :shrug:

If anything, I think the reason U2 has to do more promotion in the US is because we Americans have shorter attention spans when it comes to music. when you become "big" in other parts of the world you generally stay big. In America, you continually have to prove yourself, simply because our music scene moves so fast.

(Also, yay 1,000th post!)

Back
Top Bottom