Important CD and downloads Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hey, im doing a project in college in which we have to make up our own company and do up a business plan. The company I'm doing is an Online music distribution company that sells both CD's AND Downloads! (Bulletproof idea:wink: ). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could be able to find me graphs and trends of the sales of CD's from the mid 80's to today, and trends and graphs of Digital sales over the last few years! Apparantly we have to put in graphs! Thanks a mill!

Im guessing nobody has anything for me! It doesn't have to be graphs, if anyone has sales figures that would be great!

The trouble with what your asking is that you are comparing eras.

The SoundScan era started in 1991. Some here feel that only part of the total sales were reported. My understanding is that in the early years, SoundScan gathered data from so many sources and then extrapolated for the entire country.

Regardless, from 1991 to today, we had more accurate sales numbers reported. However, from the mid-80's to then, we do not. SoundScan issues year end reports where they list total sales for the year. However, no one here would have that from 1991 to now.

The best I can recommend is going to Billboard's site.

But far better, is going to other music forums - not fan based ones like this, but general ones. People there may have that data.

I'll do some checking for you as well (always happy to help a student), but Google music forums (or music and movie sales forums).

Thanks, it doesn't have to be exact numbers, they can be rough estimates and I can make my own graphs on excel using that info. From 1991 onwards is grand, and from 2002 would be grand for Legal Downloads. Although I would like estimates for the world market if possible, however US figures, and UK figures would also be helpful. Whatever is possible.

Thanks a mill.

Back
Top Bottom